I have been told that I'll be receiving a Raspberry Pi for Christmas

I have been told that I'll be receiving a Raspberry Pi for Christmas.

My first inclination is to set up a cloud server with it. Any other suggestions for worthwhile projects to do with one? (Inb4 Kali, I've already got one for that.) I may also end up buying more if there's anything worth the while in chaining.

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/7122/level-of-hackability-of-raspberry-pi
forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/491-need-help-on-pine-a64-64bit-quad-core-12ghz-single-board-computer/
armbian.com/pine64/
linux-sunxi.org/A64
linux-sunxi.org/Pine64
boinc.berkeley.edu/
trisquel.info/fr/forum/boinc
trisquel.info/en/issues/5658
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeHAL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BURP
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SETI@
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

inb4 your pi gets pozzed the instant it goes online

I've never seen a map of the Linux ecosystem with such low information-to-word-count density

Run an IPFS on it

Install gentoo

You just outed yourself as having as much computer literacy as a niglet who can emoji on their stolen iphone.

Get a motor driver IC, a breadboard, a breakout cable/board for the GPIO header, and a cheap animatronic toy. Drive the motors with the GPIO pins and script it to do things.

The worst arm pcb

raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/7122/level-of-hackability-of-raspberry-pi

What does OPs image regresent? it seems to be a model of hardware and software. Is there any particular name used for this?

Unless you're doing it for fun there's no point in SBC clusters. It's still fun though.

The RasPi is in a weird place, where it's liked by nerds and hated by nerdier nerds. They took a stand against Gamergate despite having nothing to do with vidya, and their board has some really weird design choices. For example all the USB ports and the ethernet jack are internally connected to one USB2 port.
That said if it's a gift don't throw it away. Look up Lakka and set it up as a retro vidya thingy. It's pretty fun when used like that. I did that and gave my one away to a local vidya society, so they can play old games without the consoles.
If you want to know about alternatives:

Odroid C2
Odroid XU4
Lime A10
Lime2 A20
Micro A20
Beaglebone Black
Beaglebone Black Wifi
Cubieboard
Cubieboard 2
Cubietruck
Their other stuff is shit, don't bother
Orange Pi One
Banana Pro

Shenzhen Xunlong actually makes two great boards, Orange Pi One and Orange Pi PC. The latter has double the ram, more usb ports, and a better voltage regulator. But yeah, everything else is rather underwhelming considering the price. Orange Pi PC2 looks interesting, but the H5 cpu has no kernel support whatsoever atm so it's useless.

There's also the pine64. I've never used one, but it's very cheap.

I would have mentioned that but I've heard bad things about it. They basically made a board before checking whether it was supported or not. That's the same mistake Cubietech made with the Cubieboard 4 and 5.
$30 for 2GBs in a SBC is a pretty good price, considering the alternatives are the Odroid C2 and Cubietruck. I'd wait a little longer for now, for the community to polish it up and get drivers for it.

Found a page on the Armbian forums with the devs bringing up how the pine guys don't know what they're doing forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/491-need-help-on-pine-a64-64bit-quad-core-12ghz-single-board-computer/
Armbian themselves have an image for it, but the stuff in the hardware info section isn't too promising: armbian.com/pine64/
And here's the community's status for the A64: linux-sunxi.org/A64 and Pine 64: linux-sunxi.org/Pine64

boinc.berkeley.edu/

Boinc isn't free/libre software some dependencies are non-free/libre and most of the projects aren't sharing the results, so basically your helping corporations fucking you.
trisquel.info/en/issues/5658

1.) https:[email protected]/* */
2.) https:[email protected]/* */
3.) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeHAL
4.) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BURP

1.)en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SETI@ home

Ok, but I'm drunk now and I'm serious.

So, say I had a 32 gig card. My natural inclination is to actually setup a legit Raspian boot, if only to lean Debian with a constrictive element upon which it does so well. For that, I would most likely get my 'hands on, actually learning something' approach on via linux than anything else. Alternatively, I would like to also approach the idea of the media-based cloud server; It'd be great if me and mores (physically close or otherwise) were able to share my growing media collection. Again, I'm a musician so I'll harp back to this point continuously. I am opperating from a 32 gig HD card at this moment, and have dreams of being able to repurpose this pi - if not any of the others that assuredly wait my futurue 0

Truth of the matter is I realize that I'm going to living with one of these more expansive parts of software & design that is taking up the meme of the exocortex. My lord, beyond words, this shit is incrediblely powerful; yet I've sat on my thumbs for too long. I receive a pi in a few days and though my first thought is "KALI" af, I would like to really spend some other time figuring out how the whole thing work.

If that picture was honest the "GPU Vendor" row would be solid red.

Its liked by pretend-nerds and hated by nerds. Most people buy SJWPi for nothing more than setting up a prebuilt XBMC on it or use it with prebuilt emulation station software, like RetroPie or Lakka.

The fuck. They couldn't have picked a better chipset for a small SBC? This is why you never go full SJW.

You need to rethink yourself, this thing isn't going to be able to do more than a $50 laptop you find on craigslist.

Would you buy a $50 laptop on craigslist to do what your saying?

Would you modify a $100 router to do what your saying?

Pi's advantage is size. Built a fucking robot.

I have one and had to go trough a shitload of forums and wikis to get tv-out on linux
Also, it comes overclocked and overvolted, so it will autoshutdown after a while, if you dont install a custom linux image that restores the original settings
And if you do that, you get a slow, laggy system
I'm going to try the custom android images, but I'm not recommending it to anyone

If you want it to just werk, use Armbian with the legacy kernel. It's what I do. Other than Armbian, no one really supports these boards. If you install anything else on any board with an H3 cpu (which is only now receiving preliminary support in the mainline kernel and shouldn't overheat anymore in 4.9), you are literally asking for trouble.

Much important info thanks.

Retropie/Lakka

OP here.

1) apologies for the above i am a giant shitpost, although there is no returning from that. I was very, very drunk and had mixed that with various -pams, and that was not a good idea. I am sure I did other things that night, I know not what. i welcome your public shaming, yes, kms, i know.

That's kind of what I ended up doing.

I received a 16gb SD card and installed Raspbian, which is now functioning as a server for backups & webhosting (may do email; this is a learner project after all.) I saw 32gb sd cards on sale for $8, so now I'm sitting on a few of those (and have a previous card that has kali.) (yes, kms, i know.)

I broke out my old breadboard and will be exploring that option going forward.

Recalbox is the superior version of EmulationStation

what the elitist nerds view on a BBB?