What's their endgame?

It's almost impossible to use GNU/Linux without using Red Hat software. They are developing core parts of the OS, so what's their endgame?

Canonical already tried an init system with Upstart, a Xorg replacement with Mir and a universal packaging solution with Snappy; yet Red Hat (and most of the community) just dismisses them.

In fact, every time Canonical announces a new product (Mir and Snappy, respectively) Red Hat takes a dead, ten-year old project and injects money and developer into it just to scream "that's nice, but we're also doing that with Wayland and Flatpak."

Are they trying to turn GNU/Linux into their own OS so no one else can get into the enterprise market without using their solutions? Are they trying to Embrace and Extinguish GNU/Linux?

I don't know about you guys, but everything about Red Hat, including their logo, seems suspicious as fuck to me.

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ bug/1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Has been in development for absolute years. I'm pretty sure RedHat doesn't have an endgame there.

All that being said, they do make a good product. However, the market for enterprise use is shifting towards Centos/Ubuntu because people don't want to pay the price for RHEL.

I think the thing we should really be worried about is Oracle Linux server share.

Getting Underhanded C on all Oracle and Ubuntu LTS installations, followed by a few zero-days.

Do you have a place where I can read about this more in a bit detail. While I've used Linux for a while I haven't followed things like this closely. I've always wrote off the transition to Red Hat's software as being due to them having money they can dump into development and the results either being better than the rest of the community's solution or people thinking it's better because it's professionally written.

Not really. It's mostly a thing that I've noticed by following Linux news.

Flatpak and Wayland are ancient projects, but Flatpak was merely a packaging solution for GNOME software and Wayland's development was as slow as GIMP's.

The thing is that when Canonical announced Mir and Snappy, Red Hat accelerated the development of Wayland and announced Flatpak as a universal packaging solution.

Now, both projects weren't created by or for Red Hat, but after Canonical's announcement most of the developers of those projects are Red Hat employees.

And the thing is that Wayland and Flatpak don't have all the features that Mir and Snappy have (font rendering built-in, server support, multi-platform (Windows, iOS, Android) deployment, etc.) but Red Hat has more resources and they can have a finished product before Canonical. Systemd came out of nowhere, though.

This, along with Canonical's stupid decisions to make their software hard to use in other distros (to the point that you need to install Ubuntu Core in order to use Snappy), mean that Red Hat will most likely end up dominating the market just like they did with systemd and PulseAudio.

It just seems iffy to me how they're trying to build most of the OS core by themselves.

Their endgame is improving Linux's quality, since they're in the business of selling it and it's easier to sell good products.

Fedora is ubuntu for adults

Ten years ago that screenshot you posted would have seemed a joke and people would've scorned at you with "le social network everywhere maymay".

its SIMPLE
STEP 1 : fund software development to create non standard alternatives for common well known programs
STEP 2 : give some grants out to popular free distros and ""maybe"" they will adopt your new software :)
STEP 3 : now that these popular distros are using your new software, their community will write all the documentation, do all the bugfixing, write a solution to every problem!
STEP 4 : PROFIT! you can now make more money out of tech support for this new software that changed everything than you put into developing and pushing the software!
(the tech support costs you NOTHING since all the legwork has been done by a bunch of retards running arch)

its pretty strange arch would suddenly go against "the arch way (TM)" and adopt a new untested unproven software

Don't forget that now that all your shit has been standarized, you can get big third parties to develop bullshit software for your now homogenized """platform""".

Wayland isn't even a Red Hat thing. I'm not sure where autists get this idea. It's more in the hands of pretty much every X.org developer.
Neither is systemd, in fact Red Hat fought against that tooth and nail internally until they realized that Upstart was a piece of dogshit and somehow Poettering solved the problem.
Poor baby, can't deal with the fact that the software Canonical produces is shit? Better blame Red Hat, lmao.

The difference is that red hat actually gets the job done unlike canonical who abandon their projects half way

(OP)
They are doing what you refuse to do: invest themselves into writing the software they want to see. You're simply a lazy whinger.

Such as? Unity isn't incomplete. Unity 8 has been finally released. Upstart isn't incomplete (they did abandon it for systems though). They have refused to abandon Mir even though the development is slow as hell and mostly redundant considering some of their worries with Wayland have dissapeared and Snapd receives updates every other week.

What's dogshit about upstart? It sure seems to result in Ubuntu booting much faster than CentOS.

They have their own vision regarding Mir that Wayland doesn't cover. There's nothing wrong in that.

Like bug #1?

Systemd?

There's also ubuntu on phones which is basically abandonwear at this point.

Unity is the only thing they actually completed and it's just a shitty gnome3 reskin with compiz for effects.

bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ bug/1

If anything that was Android who finished the job, Shuttleworth just signaled about it.

ubuntu doesn't use upstart anymore, dipshit
the fact that you would need to totally rewrite upstart to fix basic functionality that upstart jobs relied on.
upstart was only every widely deployed as a sysvinit drop-in. you use upstart jobs at your own peril, because that side of the coin is totally fucked.
in fact, it was so bad, that I believe debian outright banned any upstart jobs that used conditional event parsing.
the problems with upstart are fundamental, the events/triggers model of upstart jobs are horrific. it's dogshit, that's why nobody is using it anymore, not even ubuntu.
p.s. only mentally retarded autists spaz out about systemd.

It receives updates monthly. It's unsupported by third party developers, but it's not abandoned by Canonical.

systemd is cool for like a pre-setup OS, for example armbian, where everything is built to work out of the box with the specific hardware. but setting up a linux os with systemd ? fuck that. you will never find me using systemd on my desktop out of preference and experience. but if i ran systemd on my laptops the overhead would make them run worse tbh .
upstart was fine back in the day but 99% of users never fucked with it since ubuntu was a user friendly desktop os.

pulse audio works, when its correctly set up.
setting it up correctly yourself? impossible

No, it wasn't fine, especially on servers. Even the cripple made a thread here asking for help with Upstart, people basically told him that Upstart was terribly broken and that Ubuntu was shit as a server OS with that release.
There is no overhead, and you are a retard.
No one fucking cares
Not hard, even LFS' instructions is piss easy. You're just dumb.

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

Red Hat makes all of their money from govt. support contracts. Corporate contracts too, but alphabet agencies are where the real money is.
Red Hat wants to own the entire Linux userland to lock the govt. into paying them, and take away control from their competitors.
That's it. They don't give a damn about you or me, or the quality of their results. They just want control.