Conky thread

Hopefully we can share useful commands and bright ideas here. Post conky screenshots and share configs ITT.

Other urls found in this thread:

hallgat.deviantart.com/art/Conky-Biclock-rc-537279155
i.imgur.com/fliKEFG.png
github.com/zagortenay333/Harmattan
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah idk why but conky is a little off.

I'm making a Python package for easily generating conkyrc. Anyone interested?

Okay, I've got a stupid question -
Why use conky at all?
If your DE has a status bar, conky is redundant
If you work with tmux, you can create a status line with all that data, and create a tab for more detailed status
The only case which remains is a tiling WM with no status bar in which you don't always work with full-screen windows.
Am I an idiot and what am I missing?

I think I'm close to perfecting this config. Am I missing anything? I don't know what else I could possibly add that would be useful or neat. It also shows gateway, local and public IPs but I commented them out for obvious reasons.

Because it's fun to create conky configs, they can be nice to look at and show you a lot of info at once. And I'd like to keep my bar minimal. I don't think trying to fit all of pic related on a status bar is a practical or aesthetic idea. And It's more efficient than running multiple programs to show the same info.

jpg is superior to png.

Same with any other DE really. When you want to see it just switch to an empty workspace.

Here is another one I've been fucking with.

I just resize hexchat for a second on my second monitor to check it.

When the do you actually care about that? Either you're inside and it doesn't matter, or you're outside and you already know it. You could also look outside the window.
why

I have much more useful information in much less space in just my status bar.

Post your status bar

Post your i3status.conf pls

Pretty much the same here
I don't get why you'd want weather information (unless you live somewhere that would require special preparations for special weather)
your i3 status bar looks pretty similar to my tmux status bar, and I use the one which comes out of the box with powerline

I can't deny your conky is aesthetic and informative. But why take any action to switch to an empty workspace when I already have all the information in my tmux status line? If I do happen to want more information, I can set a tmux tab with it as well.

It does look really fun, which is the main incentive as far as I'm concerned, not utility. I'll do it for the rice, if nothing else

How much resources does it usually take?
I saw people with come crazy configurations, including email alerts, rss feeds... but what's the freaking point if you can't click anything?

Not for small screenshots with text in them.

I don't use i3status, it's conky feeding JSON to i3bar directly. Can send you the dotfiles if you want them.

Well, that settles at least one thing, thanks user

I don't use conky, because I've mostly always some windows open, but I like this little config:

hallgat.deviantart.com/art/Conky-Biclock-rc-537279155

This. The only time i see my desktop is when i switch to a new workspace.

Maybe if you have more than one screen or if you lots of stuff in the physical vicinity of your computer. I guess that it can convey information in an aesthetic manner while also playing music and/or torrenting.

How do you get the weather to work? I'm trying to make mine from scratch but it seems like conky's usual sources killed their API, and now everyone uses some really complicated script to parse it out or something.

I really don't understand the point of conky, tbh

Or... You could just look at your panel and hover your mouse over the weather plugin.

aesthetics

you take your hands off the home row user?

Always felt unnatural to me, but maybe I'm just autistic

Takes a while to accomodate, and adjusting speed and sensitivity is important for it to feel right, but after some time with that thing you'll never want to go back

Wallpaper source?

i.imgur.com/fliKEFG.png

github.com/zagortenay333/Harmattan