Why didn't you tell me mp3 was deprecated?

Why didn't you tell me mp3 was deprecated?

What LOSSY audio formats should I be downloading?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

FLAC if you want to pretend you can hear the difference but don't have the money for vinyl and valves.

its called AAC

33 or 45 rpm, you mean?

It's not that it's deprecated, it's just other lossy codecs can achieve equivalent quality with much lower bitrate. It doesn't fucking matter, storage is cheap. Get FLACs.

Get out pleb, disks are so mainstream.

lol he said AAC instead of OPUS

the best shit never get adopted

fucking mp4 beat mkv video containers

The history of the better format losing can be summed up with one word, Sony.

Opus is the best lossy format now at every bitrate, period.

It deprecated everything except FLAC.

So use FLAC or Opus.

Humans can't hear the difference (all placebo), FLAC is just for archiving.

Stick with WAV

Of course you can't hear the difference especially when even $10k monitor speakers don't have the response to actually produce a different sound based on a tiny difference in bitrate, it's just funny as fuck to LARP and watch people act like it's real.
I'm an electrician by trade and have happily installed $2,000 speaker cables because someone with more dollars than sense insisted on it.

Placebo effect is real my friend. Objective reality doesn't matter. It makes a difference if you believe it.

i know rip what.cd

what about video?

VP8 vs x264
VP9 vs x265

I think x265 is better than VP9 because of some patents they own, Google can't implement the technology. Don't know which one has better hardware decoding support. x264 is good enough for me.

Google is working on VP10/AV1 now.

just use WAV

sure you'll probably be over 5gb for just 100 songs but it's the quality that counts, i have pretty decent speaker system and you really can discover the difference in quality from a MP3 file than a uncompressed CD quality WAV file

You are joking but some people believe they can hear a difference if any compression is used, even if it's completely lossless compression.

there is a difference between 128kbps mp3 than a 320kbps mp3 file, FLAC is lossless so that's fine and converting a wav file to a flac file is fine and you don't lose anything

you do notice a difference with mp3 though, quality is lower. WAV is CD quality, converting the wav to flac doesnt change anything at all really, it's just nice to feel like you have the purest best quality in the song

Typical autist, ignorant or "i want to sound smart" answer, not everything is perfect (some flac torrents are just mp3) and he was talking about mp3, not flac.

With shit tier speakers, cables and sound card (mediaone 3a, monster and elite pro) you can notice differences between cds and dvds, why Karajan is better and why babymetal doesnt have a soul.

I can help you out with that user, see

I still have the speakers, but vynils are destroyed every time you play them and they arent that good (if we ignore producers killing digital audio).

Btw, i was talking about digital music, there wasnt a need to failing saying that i think that vynils are better than cds.

20 dollars in south america, 2 meters with conectors, thats is a cheap shit tier cable for me, a decent cable would be an old school optic. Again, stop creating things in your mind and lauching them like facts like women do in the real world, for me you are just another delusional fag untill you post a chromosomic test and a full nude pic with a timestamp explaining with details why are you doing that.

I think .ogg is pretty small in size and has good audio quality

I'm just shitposting for fun user, but seriously take a look at the probe cable on a 100 mhz oscilloscope if you want to see just how shitty a cable can be while still being perfectly serviceable for laboratory research work.

In that time i had fluorescent tubes and i was in my overclocker stage. A 6 dollars cable to a fucking yamaha was a lot better than going from a cheap cd/sound card to that i saved a lot of money in sound cards and cables, electrons are overrated.

What was wrong with cassettes, anywy?

Jesus fucking christ, how can you not hear the difference between 128K MP3 and CD quality FLAC?

In the age of cheap High-fidelity audio equipment and cheap mass storage, it must be your hearing or your brain that is limiting your experience with low fidelity understanding of what you hear. Which I find a very sad quandary to find anyone in.

I can hear the difference between FLAC and mp3 besides at stupidly high bitrates where you'd just use lossless

my headphones are open and have a wide sound stage and rather neutral profile and I run them from an interface which might help

really if I know what to listen for you can tell the difference but if you're just casually listening it's only immediately obvious if your gear is able to reproduce sound well

64k, you mean?

CD quality is a misleading term, it's just digital and the only reason people think it's better is because they're good goys who stream their music and movies and never realized they were served compressed shit, so most of their exposure to music that hasn't been compressed to hell and back was on CDs

record elitists have been swindled as well. having your medium be analog doesn't matter if it also introduces a ton of noise. maybe if you're willing to soak your records every time and they're in excellent condition you might get some advantage over FLAC but who does that?

and it's not sound quality of records that people notice, it's that records generally have better mastering which they mistake for better quality.

You got me there.

CD quality is usually mastered, but the bitrate is hardly ever skimped on since you have 650MB of space for storing about an hour of music. (and before you say it, 700MB CDs are for data storage only as far as I know.

Hipsters use them.

If you cant hear the difference between 2 mts of the cheapest white/red cable and the cheapest monster cable then you have a serious problem, i can notice it, all my ex, relatives, even the ones with hearing problems, noises everywhere and "clicks" when used for digital. I am not talking about speaker cable, thats beyond shadowrun faggotry.

Thanks for the summary anyways.

The mix between trolling and autism in this thread is amuzing, just remember, we use dba, not db.

my audio autism kicked in

700mB CD's are also for audio purposes, RW is usually for storage purposes. Really it's universal, but usually r- is consumer oriented and r+ is audio cd.

The saddest part is that just teens can trully feel the 20-20…

Times must have changed. I remember burning 700MB CDs and having them not work in car stereos and other 'dumb' CD players. They would only work on computers.

You formatted them to work on a computer. You know when you stick CDs in your computer and it asks if you want a "storage" cd or a "master" cd?
You clicked storage.

I guess I did it wrong, fuck you, twelve year old me.

Now you can fill a 870 mbs cd with days of music.

Older stereos didnt get cheap cds, just sony, verbatim and shit like that.

Come to think of it, I was using cheapo discs 50/100 stacks of RW CDs.

Stopping all programs and starting the burn at 2x speed and paying full attention to the progress bar for what felt like eternities.

don't get anything lossy if you're archiving it. my entire library is FLAC, 24-BIT 192000Hz vinyl if I can get a hold of it.

RIP WHAT.CD

I miss my dreamcast and my psx…

What about 32-bit 192000Hz vynil rip?

do you want to download it once and have it forever?

or do you want to download it once, then in ten years you have to download it again, but now nobody even has that album anymore?

Adult humans you mean… forget to check.

no, they can't anymore. at least not in my country.

they're all obsessed with nigger rap and hip hop, which they blare out of earbuds and go to concerts for.

I would know, I'm 18. I haven't talked to a single person my age who knows anything about audio. they think bass that's loud is better (and can't even tell what I mean if I call it muddy or blown out), nor do they know what frequency response or sound stage are. even if they did know, it wouldn't make a difference because they're all good goyim who stream their music and will never hear if the audio engineer who whored himself out to do mastering for some celebrity nigger did a good job[/blogpost]

Not all abuses are sexual, well, nigger music is sexual…

About file formats

If you do not want to remix, re-encode any of it, you are downloading for listening purpose only, v0 mp3 should be your choice, with an average 128+ kbps bitrate. MP3 has more software and hardware support. You might get hours of more music playtime on some mobile devices compared to ogg.

Note: Make sure you download original rips. if you see the difference between Blu-Ray and BRRip movies, than that is the kind of difference you should expect with re-encoded mp3 music. "Tolerable quality."

Why chose ogg/opus?
Because you care about freedom 'n shit.

Why chose flac?
For archiving and remixing. But make sure the flac was not just an "upconverted mp3". There are many retards on the internet who do this.

lol, on one of my physics class at university we actually calculated the maximum "possible perfect vinyl quality", based on the minimum pin size, the molecule distance etc. The conclusion was around the 250kbps data rate.

Im not sure which rpm was it though. But you have to note it is uncompressed data. So vinyl is trash, long live digital audio!

About speakers

That is just enough. The cheapest "HiFi" certified audio equipment will do for home. If you pay more it is just extras, looks and placebo.
General rule of thumb is 1 speaker for every 25 square meters. Open-area/concert speakers should be around the same price/m^2 range + outdoor coating tax.

About cables
If it costs more than your speaker/headphone, you are doing it wrong.
For

because you didn't listen!
wiki.xiph.org/OpusFAQ

this also could be useful
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

You are right.

You are left.

Hi subwoofer!

Lots of copy/paste without practice, even deaf people can notice the bass difference between a 3a and the shitiest rubicon, there is also "soundstage" and "color", and i am not talking about details or even how vocals are showed in the 3a, you can notice that with just minutes of training, if mr shekelstein said the opposite do a blind test with a hidden camera so he cant trick you again, i already did something like that.

What are decent speakers? reread what you posted again, mediaone 3a are ok for asian camwhores.

And control your autism please, i know that you wasted a lot of time loorking in google, but, first, i was talking about low voltage cables between source and power and, second, you have to care about cable because that shit can burn your house if you use arduino tier cable for a giganigga tier sub, interference is just secondary and you can use threesome cables for that if you like old school analog crap because reddit says so.

i don't get it

Would be cool if I had any.

Aw. Poorfag can't afford good equipment and he thinks high quality music is a lie because his apple earbuds sound like shit. :(

yeah if your setup is shit.

I have a 2000mAH in my iPod classic with a 256GB SD card and some flac on it. It gets 50 hours of playback.

you're a fucking retard

Indeed they can. People can not just hear, but feel low-frequency audio elsewhere in their body. You can add visualizations too to your music or put your penis between 2 subwoofer if that is your thing.

pedo

Go back to your church and enjoy the live music there.

Go back to your church and enjoy the live music there.

(This comment requires Holla Forums Gold to view)

Magnetoplanar Hitler agrees.

I never said that, my point is that having 20-20 without colors is expensive as fuck and believe me, a qt media one cant do that.

So i am right, thanks, btw, you can hear with your skull too, a doc already tested me and i can hear better with that (compared with other humans (average humans, i am not saying that i am a fucking x-men)). In theory skulls are bigger and better suited for bass.

Exactly the opposite.

How many shekels do you need for a quality like that? fedoras dont know a shit about real music.

100kbits VBR OPUS is all you need.
128kbits VBR OPUS can be used by autists or people with very good audio devices.
64kbits VBR OPUS if you listen to music with phone on the go.
FLAC = for idiots and good goys that want to buy 10 times bigger HDD and pay jews shekels.

What shit are you talking? mp3 320kbits is highest bitrate so it's 2-2.5 times smaller that FLAC. And there is no point in using 320 CBR because ~224 VBR will be as good.

what is the purpose of that? I have music to listen to it. I am not librarian

you forgot that opus uses half bitrate at same quality than mp3

haha what a fallacy

I have OPUS. You have FLAC + some lossy
10 years later, super codec invented, 25% better than opus
I have OPUS + new files in super codec. You have FLAC + super codec

You will always lose and use 10 times more space. Even if new codec would be lossless (so you replace FLAC), it will never go better than 300kbits, which is 3 times more than opus, because it's simply not possible. And lossy codecs won't get much better too.

When new super codec is implemented I will take advantage when adding new music.
Also keep in mind space is cheaper and cheaper. So in next 10 years I won't need super codec anyway because opus music will be small as nothing compared to space size. But your FLAC files are huge NOW, TODAY, and limit how many music you can have, and make you buy expensive jewish HDDs and SD cards.

(This comment requires Holla Forums Gold to view)

some people are just retarded.
my brother thinks his razer krakens and his skull candy earbuds sound good

a master of an album doesn't change from cd to vinyl. that is the reason that it is the MASTER copy.

What is so bad about ogg?

It must take a lot of patience to be his brother.

Compatibility if you're going to playback on portable devices or car decks, etc. 10 years ago OGG was promising as the successor to mp3, but nowadays it seems like aac/m4a is the way to go for good quality (192k) and compatibility.

I'm not familiar with the OPUS format yet, but it seems like it's better in technical terms, just now for it to become adopted.

For me personally, even 192k mp3 sounds ok for me the majority of the time. Unless I'm specifically listening for audio artifacts on more expensive speakers, I can't really tell a difference. I think the thing that bugs me is that I don't want to use an outdated lossy compression algorithm when I know something more up to date is out (aac, etc). Doesn't matter if you can't always hear it, just KNOWING the compression algorithm is better in MP3's successors bugs me (over the idea of using MP3 still).

I was told by somebody who would know that the only remaining benefit to vinyl is if you play it on speakers loud enough that the needle picks up the sound coming out of your speakers, which it then re-transmits to them a fraction of a second later, filling out the sound and giving it a warm quality.

I have no idea if this is true, but he was a literal expert on turntables.