What does Holla Forums think of this computer hacker?

Other urls found in this thread:

catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html)
catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/).
catb.org/esr/personal.html
firstmonday.org/article/view/708/618
groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.arch/GUA7AtDPy84/3d_eezRKKwwJ
aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jeff/lisp/jargon.html
catb.org/~esr/software.html
esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1705
invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html
classicempire.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He is awesome. He created things like
How To Become A Hacker (catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html)
and
The Cathedral and the Bazaar (catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/).
Also, I like how he triggers SJWs and makes autists sperg.

OP here

I actually read those a while back and it taught me to start looking at the FAQ and searching. For some reason, it seems that he is hated by some people, and I have no idea why.

Here people hate him because he is in open source camp and not in free software camp.
And other people hate him because he is non-leftist.
This for instance:
catb.org/esr/personal.html
Also, more recently he created some anti-SJW posts on his blog, and if I remember correctly he helped raise money for Lambdaconf thing when SJWs tried to get Moldbug kicked for being non-leftist.

He's a libertarian, pro gun rights, and is critical of modern climate science.
He's a free software advocate, but at the same time says that people should be allowed without criticism to release their software proprietary, because (as a libertarian) he doesn't believe that it's right to try to control the way that somebody decides to sell or distribute their own product, as long as it doesn't infringe on anybody else's rights (including copyright).

So people hate him for the same reason people hate most libertarians. He's too liberal for the Republicans and too conservative for the Democrats, which encompasses over 90% of the US. Most people want a strong government in charge that they think should be used to control everybody else to do only what they think should be done; moderates like libertarians don't sit right with those crowds, because their positions are about letting people do what they want to do and think the way they want to think.

He did some neat things, but none of them are as big as his ego.

He flamed someone for daring to correct Dennis Ritchie even though they were correct and Ritchie readily admitted it.

He wrote a huge weird configuration system for the Linux kernel that nobody was waiting for and then getting angry when it didn't get merged.

He writes paragraphs in his blog about how much of an exceptional genius he is.

He took over a MIT/Lisp culture dictionary and bastardized it into a Unix thing.

He tries to intimidate Microsoft employees in elevators by telling them he's their "worst nightmare".

Fetchmail, a program he maintained and wrote a lot about in the Cathedral and the Bazaar, got full of security holes under his oversight.

The Cathedral and the Bazaar is well-written but I no longer think it's correct. The idea that the lesson of the Mythical Man-Month doesn't apply to development happening over the internet is particularly weird. Here's a good critique.
firstmonday.org/article/view/708/618

Based as fuck confirmed

Do you have a link for this? I can't find an archive of the event.

What was it? sauce pls

Underage as fuck confirmed

>>>/reddit/

You already well established that you're underage, no need to confirm it again

That was a misunderstanding. To be fair, one of his eyes was pointed at the Microsoft employee when he said that, but the other was pointed at the elevator controls, which he was angry at because his lack of depth perception had caused him to hit a button for the wrong floor.

I used a guide from him on how to properly set the modeline for a CRT; so he's good in my book.

i personally think that HE actually opened this thread

groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.arch/GUA7AtDPy84/3d_eezRKKwwJ

aiai.ed.ac.uk/~jeff/lisp/jargon.html

Doesn't have the credentials to back up his ego. Just look at his software page.
catb.org/~esr/software.html
Tell me there's even one thing on it that you depend on or have ever used.

has nice has it sound it's not the best move against MS.
This user is sorta right but we don't know the real context, if he said that for just a laugh then yes he has a sense of humor otherwise... I won't say childish but like other anons said it seems that he is full of himself.

Makes me feel pure unbridled mental pain. You don't fucking do that, the man isn't a God just by virtue of inventing C.

He talks about that situation in Revolution OS.

esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1705

He's more of a hack than a hacker. Rude, petulant, and untalented are words that come to mind to describe esr.

invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses-license.html

lol, esr is like the typical /g/ user:

Also I didn't know the jargon was originally a lisp-culture file, thanks for the link famo

this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b17ggwkR60

I think he's awesome. The funny thing is, he and people like him really did become the Microsoft's worst nightmare, just like he predicted.

I used to think he was okay when I read "The Art of Unix Programming" (or rather, the first few chapters thereof) and "How to become a hacker" which kind of inspired me in the direction of hacking (in the original sense of the word).
But I'm starting to dislike him in the light of several of the things here.
I don't really care anyway, his writings are all essays, I haven't come across a single technical resource on his part, so he doesn't have much to offer for me anyway.

Many of the people he's associated with, sure, but how he himself?

Absolutely proprietary.

The only thing I read from him was The Art of Unix Programming, and it's 500 pages of him saying basically nothing. That has to be quite an accomplishment

Eh, might still just have been a joke.

Seems like he did exactly what he accused Robert of; Misreading. Very embarrassing thing - correcting others, when they are in fact right and you are wrong... and way to go overboard on the insults.

He seems to have a bit of an idol man-crush on Ritchie.. that's fair but I always imagined that Ritchie would end up with Ken in a happy ending.

That guy looks like a child molestor.

/thread

I tried to get into vms-empire, but was eventually put off by the long, inexplicable delays when you switch between modes. Can't remember if the DOS text version (pic) has same problem, but the graphical, commercialized version by Interstel works fine.
More infos here: classicempire.com