Robert Rodriguez To Direct ‘Escape From New York’

Robert Rodriguez is getting the gig to direct Escape From New York, the remake of John Carpenter’s iconic 1981 film that’s set up at 20th Century Fox. The studio won a bidding battle for rights to the reboot in early 2015, with Andrew Rona and Alex Heineman’s The Picture Company set to produce. Neil Cross (Luther) is penning the script.

The hope is to reinvent the property with an eye toward launching a Planet Of The Apes-like franchise.

The deal cements the relationship with Rodriguez and Fox; the director just helmed the studio’s Alita: Battle Angel, the film based on Yukito Kishiro’s manga graphic novels that was written by James Cameron and Laeta Kalogridis.

deadline.com/2017/03/robert-rodriguez-escape-from-new-york-director-1202051424/

This spic has literally never directed a good movie.

Calling it right now, screen cap it.

Oh come now, Desperado was an the inspiration for devil may cry's Dante.

Spy Kids 3 was kino.

That's not exactly a stunning insight, user.

But it's a correct insight, that's what matters.

NYC is liberal as fuck, the state of New York voted for Hillary, despite it being Trump's home state. Though I guess setting up some 'dystopian' setting where Trump made USA right winged nazis might change things for their narrative.

Tortilla Snake

Yet another goddamn remake that no one asked for.

How does that change anything?

Is 'Escape from New York' supposed to be one of those "so bad it's good" movies? Because there's nothing remarkable at all about that movie, neither good nor bad.

He's an odd choice but as long as pedowood isn't making it.

If dystopia/post-apocalyptic stuff isnt your thing then yes, its bad, but its still way better than the sequel, Escape from LA-

What did he mean by this?

smh, he learned nothing from mike

Looks like the check from Fox got lost in the mail.

Thought so too upon watching this movie.

I guess Carpenter wanted to subvert expectations of movie goers who expected an action spectacle with a hero who saves the world and gets the chick as a reward.

Another explanation is what another user told me when I told how disappointed I was. He said Escape from New York was made for the audience of that time when the film was released. I was born in 1981 and watched the film in the middle or late of the 1990s so I guess he is right.

at least Escape from LA had Mike Matei

It's gonna be interesting alright.

I like his earlier films. Particularly Desperado and Mariachi. They had the same appeal to me as Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste" and Roman Film Productions "Who killled Captain Alex".

They created films on a very low budget with a lot of issues at the time.

I can respect that he's good at doing things on a low budget, I can respect his craft, but the actual finished films that he creates are shit.

Rodriguez is as pedowood as it gets
He's an american-made director

It's shit then.

I'm gonna have to contest that, user. Rodriguez got to where he is today by good, old fashioned hard work, not nepotism. Whether you like him & his movies or not, I feel that deserves respect.

I still don't want a remake of this, to be honest, I really like EFNY.

By grabbing good old private investors even as a nobody, and having top actors (in their context) even in his "indie flicks", while also shitting over what the context really is?
He's a good worker, no contest, but he's a shit director
I feel he can be suited better as a producer, like Del Taco

You're misrepresenting what I said. I said that regardless of how you feel about him or his movies, working hard like he did is deserving of respect. If you don't like his movies, fine, I think he's really hit or miss personally, but how he went about making his first films deserving of respect.

You did misrepresent what i said
He's a decent fella but the way he went in his first films and how he acts like it was from scratch, which is a straight up lie because he had a lot of gambles behind him, makes him a piece of trash. Not worthy of respect, if anything it is by the way he handled the pressure of it all

Jesus doesn't John Carpenter own the rights to his own movies? Are they going to rape They Live or Prince of Darkness next?

I was going to say "Halloween"

somehow I forgot it already got raped

Why are they remaking it?

They need to compete with other capitalists on a market. First person to give up on easy and reliable source of profit (remaking already-tested ideas in the creative art world) is the one driven out of business by a competitor.

The movie is great. You sound like a fucking faggot who doesn't know how to watch a movie I guess. This remake will obviously be libshit trash about Trump though. Fuck Rodriguez for being arrogant enough to ever touch this film.

He made George Clooney's only good movie.

Fuck you.
I saw Killer Tomatoes 2 on UpAllNight with that smokin blonde, anyone know what I'm talking about? It was probably in the 90s.