How would I go about installing a desktop computer into, say, pic related...

How would I go about installing a desktop computer into, say, pic related? which may or may not be what I'm currently driving

I've seen people say not to install a computer into your car, as the vibrations and changes in temperature will ruin your components, but surely there's a way around it, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sHm4rwQAAj4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why would you do that?
Also, use a tablet

So I can live in my car and/or refer to it as a "Mobile Command Center" as I've wanted to for many years now.

What do you want to do with it? Where do you want the display(s)?

I think if I could fold down/totally remove the passenger seat, that might be a good place for the components or monitor. This entire endeavor would require a custom case, of course. And for power I'll be using a portable generator.

Get a Windows CE or Android based Head Unit

/thread

But I can't play vidya or browse this site on a head unit, can I?

lol shouldn't you just use a power inverter instead of a generator?

I've thought about making my own android head unit with a nice tablet as a fun project.. then I remembered I'm a poorfag with a crappy vehicle so it would be like installing hardwood floors inside of a single wide trailer from the 60's

OP, what the fuck are you doing?

First off, why a desktop? Do you plan on gayming in this car?

If so, you'd need to bypass a normal PSU and buy a 12Volt PSU.

I don't know what screen you're planning on getting, but I'd recommend something intended for embedded systems. Take a look at those for something not too big/expensive.

Secondly, how powerful of a computer are you talking? They take up quite a bit of power and I doubt your car battery would handle it well.

Assuming a battery of 80Ah at 12V = 12*80 = 960Wh. If this computer consumes, say, 250W, you'd only get around 4Hrs worth of usage. Even less, as most AGM batteries SHOULD NOT be discharged lower than 50%.

What you're after is only really feasible with an embedded SBC (Pine64, Raspcuck Pi, Odroid, etc).

Third, [spoiler]bitches will think you're weird as fuck.[/spoiled]

That was actually a genuine typo.

Are you actually fucking retarded?
Do you have no conception of how a car works?
Are you underage?

Could you just throw some extra batteries in your trunk and daisy chain them all together to increase your battery bank size to compensate for your mobile beowulf cluster or would that not work because the alternator couldn't keep a few extra batteries charged?

Ideally, what I'd be doing is using the interior of the vehicle instead of a computer case.

All of the components can be mounted normally on the interior, but the problem lies with the parts being damaged/destroyed by vibrations and or temperature. That's what I'm looking for a solution to.

Oh yeah, and I'm sure as fuck not connecting it to the car battery. If I do that I'm 100% guaranteed to have a bad time, for a number of reasons. The generator will be connected to the power supply.

lol what kind of generator are you thinking of?

You know that if you use a diesel or gas generator in your car you're going to probably be sucking in a fuckton of carbon monoxide and die unless you weld it's exhaust into your car's exhaust and you don't sound like you have the skill or knowledge to do that

Probably one of these or something similar, I anticipated gas generators being a bad idea.

There are 120 or 240V power systems you can install in cars, look around for those because you already have a fucking generator in your car.

What's the point in 120 or 240? Computers only need 12V, 5V, 3V. Just use a fucking laptop power supply.
Or just mount a laptop there, their performance is enough for practically anything except games and gaming in a car is stupid af, because you won't have a normal fucking table in a fucking car.

That would work just fine, I've seen a lot of people with audio systems run 2 - 3 batteries in parallel.
You could also put a capacitor in there.

You listen to me you little fucker: i didn't come here to hear about how this concept is impractical or i'll-conceived. What i want is a desktop computer in my car.

WHY IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND

t. kys fam

kys
t. someone who knows how to use "t." properly

kys
t. someone who knows how to sage properly

Well, for all of you smartypants, what do you think the CIA has mounted in all those vans, huh?
For OP, just the mere transporting of computers can be rough, especially in a poorly-maintained road (that's how I lost one network card). Maybe you'd need to do something like those pictures that go around, with "caseless" computers (mounted on the walls themselves).
Either that or get a toughbook and pretend it's a desktop.

How bad are you at driving? Whenever I get new shit from the recycling center I just chuck it all into the backseat of my car, and nothing has ever broken during transport on me. The roads around here are shit, too.
Unless you whip around all your computers like an ape on pcp then static is your biggest concern. Only in the winter though, and that can easily be avoided just by touching the hull of your car before touching any other shit.

There's a difference between something being loose and something being mounted to the frame of the car, vibrations transfer. It's why cop cars use toughbooks and not normal laptops.

I was mostly just replying to you. As far as OP, the only advice I have is to tear apart a netbook, mount it in your dashboard with shock-resistant shit, and hope it works.

I'll take what is an alternator and how the fuck does a car work for 500, alex.

Op don't listen to this faggot , get yourself a proper steam-powered edison dynamo and you'll be all set

1) Replace your radio with a monitor, buttons, and maybe a few usb ports.
2) Run cables from stuff to the back of the car, possibly in or around the trunk
3) install computer in trunk
4) Profit
link related

youtube.com/watch?v=sHm4rwQAAj4