What does tech think bout DragonBox's Pyra?

what does tech think bout DragonBox's Pyra?
dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E
ebay.com/bhp/umpc
geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html
youtube.com/watch?v=F0H9-bbEdG8
bitbucket.org/mjl/inferno-ds
dragonbox.de/1369-thickbox_default/pyra-keychain-merchandise.jpg
3ds.guide/
gbatemp.net/threads/release-linux-for-the-3ds.407187/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

What the fuck are you doing

bumping

bump

bump

you stupid monger, no cares about your $800 overpowered nintendo ds. fuck off and stop bumping. where the fuck are mods when you fucking need them to do their job?

i don't know, probably up your moms ass xD

Yea, the only issue is the price. Other than that I cum in my pants when I see clear plastic tech.

what are you, a dumb, dumb, dumb dum dum?

If only they made real portable computers these days.

I cared enough to preorder one.

I spent more than $800 on models of Sharp Zaurus,which this competes very well with.

Now if only it'd come out already...

sure sounds like hardware I'd want to spend half the price of a fucking 2016 Macbook Pro on
>>>/reddit/

I have the slightly newer version of the model 100. Tandy 102. Still works and the keyboard is incredible.

Go fuck your urethra with a hand drill you faggots.

It costs between $531 and $562, or $665 if you want it to double as a tracking device, you niggers.

saged because this thread is shit and OP is a faggot.

bump

bumping for interest.

It's a bit fat but it seems like a great phone replacement. Unlike actual phones the hardware is way more transparent, and you can either disable the SIM card in software or just pull it out to stop tracking, depending on how paranoid you are.

Does it have a stylus, looks like controlling the cursor would be a bit annoying. But it's debian so I'm guessing you can just do everything from the keyboard.

TIL they had computers in 1908

i like the idea of it. it reminds me of my clear ti83 calculator i learned to program on that got stolen. but i don't want to squint to look at the screen and i already have a smartphone i'd rather root it and use it for my mobile computing.

if i develop on a phone potentially i can make money selling apps.

if i develop on this it may be fun but i'd be more productive on my computer and so for me this amounts to a toy.

how feasible would it be to use this sucker instead of a smartphone. Can you even make calls on it? (proper, cell phone calls not like VOIP over your data connection or whatever)

I'm too poor for it. I'd rather wait for consumer grade smartphones to get a linux distro.

Yes

The hardware is there for it but no one has tried making software yet.

sage

It's a pretty neat idea. Too bad it's vaporhardware just like Talos and you'll NEVER EVER actually get one.

zozzle

bump

I have a pandora and I'm waiting for it to be released before buying one.

So does this have any real OpenGL hardware acceleration or just GLES? Because if it's just GLES it's as worthless as every other ARM linux handheld.

Looked it up, unless something has changed recently it does not support full OpenGL. Only GLES.

Enjoy your near complete lack of games with hardware acceleration. A few demos on linux, various games on Android but not much of shit for linux. Even the fucking myriad doom engines that seemingly support everything don't support GLES (except one for android that isn't free/open)

So better hope the cpu can crank out the framerate a lot better than other ARM devices.

You do know that GLES is intended for mobile applications so that applications that use it can get decent 3D performance at minimal execution costs.

Holy shit that changes everything, starting to save up $600 now

Will you eventually be able to normal-order them? Or are they some boutique workshop that works on preorder basis only?

With enough preorders they will have enough leftover money to have available stock to buy directly.

Yes, what I am saying is that people are buying this mostly to play games. They will not have very many accelerated games on linux. It will be similarly shitty in framerate as to any other linux OS ARM handheld.

This matters, it is literally what people are buying it for. If you only want a slow desktop replacement with no performant games, okay

Just to clarify the stylus is there for a resistive touch screen like what you would see on a ds. Don't expect a wacom or something.

Aren't resistive touch screens better when it comes to precision and sensing pressure?
youtube.com/watch?v=66RBfrBgL2E

Better then a wacom? No but it blows away modern smart phone touch screens.

I'm not some drawfag (if I was I'd just use a real tablet instead of doing the equivalent of pic related)

Honestly sounds like a great device

At that point it does everything I use a modern goyphone for. On top of that I can run all sorts of nifty, toaster-friendly linux software. I wonder if there's a way to use it to push slides to a projector, I could ditch my laptop as well as my phone. The only drawback is that it's 2.5 times thicker and more expensive than the average touchshit brick, but it's not such a big deal.

USB to VGA adapters exist. Shit, think of the possibilities having something in your pocket with actual USB ports.

It has a mini hdmi out.

As long as you had a program that recognised the accept calls button with your headphones or bluetooth piece then it shouldn't be too cumbersome to have around.

Handsfree bluetooth wireless headphones are becoming better and better.

Don't even need to answer calls, I can just call over Google Voice. People can't call me but everyone has email these days, they can just email me and ask to call them.

Incidentally, what's a good free (as in freedom) voip setup? I could never figure out how to get jitsi to make calls.

Ekiga and yate?

Looks kinda nice but having been burned by the OpenPandora I'd rather not. Also I have a 3DS.

I've got some old BASIC-based computer of that type of design, but it's an NEC. Might be the NEC PC-8300 I can't check for sure at the moment.

Addendum: Wait, this claims to run Diablo II? How? Qemu + Wine? It'd suck to actually play on such a device but I'm curious how it's even doable.

Also if it can actually double as a phone I'd consider changing my mind.

bump

GPD Win owner here

anyone got one of these? they're pretty cute and can do a lot for its size and specs

Shit! That thing is pretty interesting. Basically a Surface 3 in a different package.

It's too bad it doesn't have the option for an LTE transciever. Also the price... let me get my ass lube.

* Be aware that there is ALWAYS a certain risk with such crowdfunding / preorder projects. We already have working prototypes, so it's unlikely the project will fail especially as we already have enough preorders to ensure that production will go ahead. The risk shouldn't be too high, but I just wanted to point that out

Had me up until all the kike-tier double-speak

the lack of GSM sucks, but you can't possibly complain about the price, it's only $360, do you not remember the UMPCs of old? Over $1000 on average for an OQO or Sony Vaio UX, hell, the ones on ebay are STILL going for several hundred dollars.

ebay.com/bhp/umpc

geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

Nigger that was the cost of the original Asus 10" netbook

Have you heard of a laptop?

you're paying for mobile convenience, multifunction game pads, fan control, and decent hardware for its size and price, find me something even close to the same specs of this device that's cheaper with the same design.

youtube.com/watch?v=F0H9-bbEdG8

Yes, and? Asus's original 9" netbooks (the ones where they put a 9" screen into the 700 series without enlarging them) cost around $500. It costs more to put good specs into a smaller package.

Or you could just get a $200 chromebook that's GalliumOS compatible.

everywhere i saw it for sale it was $499. $360 was the preorder price.

and geekbuying goes up to $499 in 10 hours.

bump

Today I learned neo-Holla Forums uses windows 10.

>>>/reddit/

Huh, looks like GeekBuying is quite a bit cheaper than miComputer intrestingly enough.

How's the build quality? I don't expect it to be nearly as tough as my CF-19 but still.

Eyup, slight screwup with this post:

nearly as robust* not tough, that's what Toughbooks and other rugged shit are for.

bump

I got an Asus Eee 1000h netbook as a first laptop for college in 2008 for $650, the MSI Wind was the cheaper shittier competitor at $500. Fucking miss that thing now, even though the keyboard gave me tendinitis and I temporarily had glasses. Netbooks were awesome, real computers, not like the shitty tablets they push now. I did everything on that machine, and it went everywhere with me. Eventually died when the power port got jacked up several years later, battery was toast as well.

Get your hands on a Surface 3 non pro. It's the same idea, and great for the same general computing you did but you also get tablet functionality. Unfortunately you are pretty much locked into Windows 8.1/10. Linux development for it is painfully slow.

You can actually install Linux on it.

Which, however, doesn't really work that well on the Win sadly.

What's Inferno capable of on the NDS? I've tried DSLinux but it was CLI-only when I last used it.

sage for offtopic

Netbooks were always trash, you can do more with a cheapo smartphone

Just tried InfernoDS on my Nintendo 3DS with the TWLoader homebrew app, it stops at the rootfs selector because it can't recognize the root filesystem.

LinuxDS just sits at a white screen via TWLoader as well

There is a Linux for the Nintendo 3DS that is able to run at boot via arm9loaderhax (arm9loader hax is a patch that replaces the 3DS' Initial Program Loader in NAND with one that looks for an ARM9 binary at the root of the SDCard first and then in usermode NAND as a last resort when there is no SDCard) And it does have a fully working Weston implementation. It doesn't have proper networking support yet AFAIK though

It's a proof of concept. Most of the things you see in the start menu aren't actually included, and there are some graphical bugs. I haven't tested it much because I'm not good with Inferno, but I expect memory and processing power to be the main limits, with software working okay because it's all implemented for a VM.

bitbucket.org/mjl/inferno-ds

With TWLoader you can give original DS ROMs full access to the 3DS' increased RAM and processing power but its still pretty much in alpha at this point. Even the few retail DS ROMs that work have very slow disk read access for some reason because they expect a ROM chip with a very specific cluster size and not a flash chip from an SD

wasteland 2 runs on eepc

Real keyboard and OS with kind of not-shit processor > all touch, garbage OS, shit processor. If, you know, you're actually doing things instead of just dicking around. Smartphone apps and mobile websites are 99% cancer.

Modern Intel Atom processors whit on even the best ARM chips though

is it worth it? I got about halfway through installing linux on a dslite and went:

"hang on, this is fucking useless to me"

having said that, is quake on the 3ds yet and does it have 3d screen support?

Yes
I don't know. I literally have 3D disabled because I think its a useless gimmick. Supposedly the New 3DS has head-tracking stereoscopic 3D which improves it quite a lot, and I got my 3DS before the 2DS became a thing
Its a neat little toy to play around with right now since it has no SD write support, SDCards are read-only. You can run native ARM Linux applications if you wanted too though, you need to write a script to copy the files on your SD to the appropriate lib folders for more complex shit

arm7hl?

TBH I'm effing sick of these embedded platforms: everything needs its own specific magical port and stack.

Except you can't get a modern netbook making that comparison moot. Every "laptop" that approaches the size of older netbooks is just a tablet with a keyboard slapped on as an afterthought and what's considered to be a "subnotebook" now days is the same size as regular laptops except thinner because thin is small.

yes
no idea

It's fucking shit to play though because the 3DS's ergonomics were meant to 4 year old japanese kids and if you're not a dwarf your hands are too big for the thing, and you have to shell in more shekels and be a good goy if you want to be able to even play the game because only the new3ds has the nub thing and extra buttons, otherwise you have to stick with the old 3ds which again, is shit and then you have to buy a circle pad pro

Bingo. forgets that the old Atoms came out almost 10 years ago now, and were pretty decent compared to all other processors in their range at the time. Apple claims that their newest tablet SOC is as powerful as a ULV i5, but it's not like intel has really even been trying lately. And even then, I don't see any good ARM netbooks, outside of some Chromebooks, perhaps, but it's not like they're putting top-end SOCs in those, not like the iPad Pro's SOC or a Tegra X1. Cheap ARM is mediocre, high-end ARM is pretty good nowadays.

I've been developing something similar for a few weeks or months now... and the Pyra doesn't stand a chance at hitting mass production, or surviving in open competition.

Nice keychain, though.

dragonbox.de/1369-thickbox_default/pyra-keychain-merchandise.jpg

This.

I still use my netbook. Runs just fine.

I see potential

What model?

Seems pretty cool, if you could put linux on it and get the joysticks working. Extremely portable and you could fit it in your pocket if you wanted.

It runs on Linux you dingus.

Build your own, this shit is not for real

pre-ordered it when we talked about it a while ago
like a year ago

I've been meaning to get linux set up on a 3DS
how hard is typing in terminal?

If you followed the official Homebrew Guide;
3ds.guide/
Then it should be easy to get Linux running from there as you would've already setup ARM9Loaderhax. Its literally a matter of downloading it here;
gbatemp.net/threads/release-linux-for-the-3ds.407187/
Then (this is important) the guide on GBAtempt forgets to fucking tell you you need to rename the a9hl_linux_loader.bin after you move it to your payloads folder to the button you want to hold to run it at boot (for example, if you name the file up_a9hl_linux_loader.bin then you will need to hold up on the d-pad as you are powering up before it boots the home screen. Likewise, you name it down_a9hl_linux_loader.bin if you want to set the boot key to d-pad down.etc)