TOR / Onion Routing

Explain in detail how it works and why I should believe it's secure

Other urls found in this thread:

freenetproject.org/news.html#news
reddit.com/r/zeronet/comments/4f2zcs/why_is_zeronet_better_than_freenet/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Onymous
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no.

More users = more nodes = less tracking = better anonymity. People spamming "ITS COMPROMISED" are FBI shills baiting people to make tor less secure.

But it's not 99% anonymous, think of tor as dropping a 2 in a pile of 3s and handpicking at random to find it.

btw use freenet too, because TOR is sadly dying due to FBI shills.

How about you read it for yourself, you lazy fuck.

"Dying" is overdramatic for something with 1.5+ million users still.I wonder if some of the Britcucks will start using it more when Snooper's Charter goes live.

Those are old statistics, use by le EBIN anomymoose use is dropping. People are fleeing to freenet.

Inb4 somebody says to use zeronet.

Which is demonstratably broken based on public court filings.
I wonder where they get you retards at. Do you even try to produce propaganda which can't be refuted in one post?

Well tor has some flaws because it's design relies on old protocols.
Protocols that weren't conceived at all to be anonymous.
But that does not mean it's compromised.

See gnunet and read their docs you'll understand.

No, the 1.5m figure is from December this year.

If you want to shill for Freenet that's one thing but if you attack Tor to do it, it makes you look like a retard. If anomymoose is doing it too, well, they aren't what they used to be.

Let's say you want to contact example.org. Your browser picks three Tor nodes.

It builds a message for the server you want to reach. It adds "please send this to example.org" to the message. Then it encrypts it so that only the third node can read it.

Then it adds "please send this to node 3" to that encrypted message, and encrypts it so that only the second node can read it.

Then it adds "please send this to node 2" to that encrypted message, and encrypts it so that only node 1 can read it. It sends that final message to node 1.

Node 1 decrypts it and forwards the decrypted message to node 2. Node 1 knows where the message came from but doesn't know where it's going to in the end.

Node 2 decrypts what it receives and forwards that to node 3. It knows that the message was routed through node 1, and it knows that it will now be routed through node 3, but it doesn't know where it came from originally or where it's going to.

Node 3 decrypts what it receives and sends it to the server. It knows where the message is going to, and if you don't use HTTPS it knows what the message says, but it doesn't know where the message came from.

That's the basic idea.

I'm tech dumb. What is freenet and how is it different from zeronet?

Is zeronet more secure than tor?

How come zeronet doesn't really work on macbook pro?

I wanted to buy a cheap laptop but I don't think Linux has the drivers for it.

leenux has drivers for everything under the sun

It's not demonstrably broken, it's the police departments don't know how to explain what the fuck they're doing with IT

Thank you user, I understand better.

But why use only 3 nodes? or can you use more?

Freenet is Java, draw your own conclusions.

Freenet's anonymity comes from difficulty in proving if a node merely relayed data or was the true originator.

Police have been lying to courts about the probability of nodes being true originators. Just having freenet installed and running is enough to get raided. ("In reality, the false positive rate of their method is at least 83%, and close to 100% in real world scenarios.")

freenetproject.org/news.html#news

See: 2016-05-26 - Police department's tracking efforts based on false statistics

lol no, freenet at it's peak was only about 10,000 users a day. and it's been on a downward trend since this news

How come no one is using zeronet?

3 is the minimum which gives that middle node which does not know neither source nor destination.
more is diminishing returns, and don't forget that Tor is already slow as it is.

Isn't I2P set up so that none of the nodes know what the source and destination is?

Not knowing anything about the destination other than the IP address is possible, since it doesn't connect to anything that doesn't understand I2P. The equivalent to that is Tor hidden services, but I think those have the same amount of theoretical node knowlege as I2P services. I know the message isn't fully decrypted until it's at the hidden service.

With I2P, everyone automatically runs as a node/router by default when they connect to use the network and the nodes are selected randomly instead of being predesignated as entry/exit nodes. While a packet could be traveling to a known server that hosts eepsites or other services as the next hop, that might not be its final destination. From my understanding this would make passive attacks involving controlling enough nodes to determine where traffic is going extremely difficult as you would need to control every node in the chain (currently 6 hops with the normal settings with inbound and outbound packets using different tunnels) instead of just the predesignated entry and exit nodes.

The mindless argument against TOR is "the x people own the nodes!"

Which is impossible because millions of them exist. However the argument TOR itself is a botnet is correct, because your IP and personal node is now part of a network whether you use TOR or not.

Just curious and probably going to sound fucking stupid for asking but, lets say you're trying to connect to google via TOR. Is there anything that Google can put in the information going back that can track where the information is going and thus lead back to the user?

They use cookies, but those get cleared when you close the browser. There might be other answers that fit your question but I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

What did you mean by this?

I'm on macbook air and zeronet works for me.
this is what I get when I google your question: reddit.com/r/zeronet/comments/4f2zcs/why_is_zeronet_better_than_freenet/

into the
trash it goes
first time I've read about Zeronet but it sounds like some bullshit. at least Freenet actually had a point.

Goddamn retards

Do you know howmany times TORs encryption have been passed? it's as useless as a proxy.

This is a test, does posting images work with tor?

FBI shills back from xmas vacation I see...

I don't even know what you're trying to say or if there's even an actual point somewhere in this shitpost

hehe don't play dumb

TOR has been exploited numerous times ( otherwise why update constantly) and sells their users data to the FBI.

It's always been a big honeypot.

If you say so, it must be true...

I don't know about honeypot, but it for sure has been "passed" many times as he says. For example:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Onymous

"This is something we want to keep for ourselves. The way we do this, we can’t share with the whole world, because we want to do it again and again and again."

We know you just found something along the lines of a JS or flash exploit, agent Smith. No one is buying it.

wew, that's some tinfoil.

No, the hidden service has image posting globally disabled.

Operation Onymous used the RELAY_EARLY bug to do confirmation attacks. Malicous HSDir relays were able to attach a unique tag in a RELAY_EARLY packet and it would come out on the entry guard.

And nearly all of the hidden services shut down was from 1 server who ran hundreds clones to phish accounts and steal bitcoin.

Researchers at Carnegie Mellon found the relay early exploit and the FBI subpenoed them for the information.

won't help the britfucks as much since the GCHQ is doing bulk analysis on all traffic.

You're right, an NSA shill makes more sense as part of their degrade/disrupt/deny attacks on the Tor network. If you can't crack it, next best thing is to get people to stop using it by trying to scare them away.

The NSA is a passive global adversary, all low latency networks are broken by them.

Tor a shit
Muh NSA owned nodes
Jacob Appelbaum dindu nuffin

Thank you for your comment, Agent Fud.