Text editors

spacemacs is sooo worth the effort to learn, my productivity is already boosted a lot. and it wasn't even that hard to figure out especially with vim experience. why haven't you transfered over to the spacemacs yet Holla Forums?

Because Nano > Every other editor

vs code > *

what can you do in vs code that you cant in emacs on a linux system?

lmao

Send telemetry data to Microsoft.

vi is all I need

using vi instead of vim is like using a bike instead of a car

Would it make sense for me to switch from Emacs to Spacemacs if I like emacs bindings? I've never tried the Vim bindings but they seem like a huge bother.

if you are comfortable with emacs keybindings i wouldn't recommend switching, i feel like spacemacs is more designed for vim users that want to have emacs's power and customization options, without having to learn a whole lot of things.

I installed it butbit had so much shit I didn't need, sobibqwnt back to regular default Emacs

*so I went

But I have transferred over to spacemacs and I'm loving it.

You can use Emacs keybindings in Spacemacs.

I've tried it, but I ended up switching back to Emacs + customizations and adding one or two packages I liked in Spacemacs.

There is a Emacs bindings mode, but I went with the Vim mode. I can get around in vi better when I have to now.

Eh...
isn't that redundancy? kind of like saying "vim shortcuts + hjkl navigation"
Emacs didn't have elpa when Spacemacs was first developed, but it comes with it by default now
what does that even mean? Emacs is configurable, I don't get the "layers". One configures emacs on top of what's so far been configured, does kinda feel like "layers" already.
Do I get to peel spacemacs like an onion or what?

My nigga.

Healthier?

nvim

Spacemacs has lots of leader key ergonomic shortcuts that are not in vim (by default, at least).

Spacemacs puts a bit of abstractioin around elpa. You declare a list of the packages you want in your init file and then it automatically installs and removes and upgrades them.

Configuration layers are more or less bundles of packages for programming languages.

Because it's large and does many things? Like Linux, the rest of GNU, X11, and most other system components you could name?

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
But did he find it funny?

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
They probably hadn't showered for months in this pic.

No thanks.

I'm mad hk made this gun.

It is though.

It's like they want people to hate them.

Photos yes peoples drawings NO. You don't want to unknowingly copy over horrible mistakes that another artist is making, or maybe a stylistic choice they'd made, who knows.

You could try constructing over a photo instead of merely tracing, you'll learn more. Break it all down into forms that make up the object you're looking at.

Another way to study and train your eye is to use a grid to draw something, starting with a big loose sketch of where things are in general, then refining it down to something more specific

one of them is considered peaceful protests.

I got your back, OP.

I like to wait till there's more posters and do it all at once :^(

Anybody seen Richie?

No thanks.

No, because Red Hat forced emacs down everyone's throats. Everyone who was happy with vim is now forced to use emacs or switch to a free distro. And don't get me started on their binary text files or unprofessional devs.
Except they didn't. emacs isn't all that like SystemDOS.

still can't post from the comfort of my editor though, thanks JS captchas

If any of you edit Markdown a lot, I finally found the perfect editor, Typora. It's basically WYSIWYG but I think implemented pretty well. Has nice comfy editing modes too for heavy writing. Supports a lot of bloat like Latex, diagrams, TOC and stuff. The biggest two drawbacks are that it's closed source and doesn't allow wider text.

There's also one that's similar but open source called Qute, but the guy abandoned it in 2013, it's clearly in an early stage (ie. slow and ugly) although still functional. Unfortunately I think he based it on Chrome's rendering engine so the code base is a bloated mess.

Does anyone else know a good WYSIWYG markdown editor? Plain text is fine when I'm gonna write a bunch, and viewing Markdown for purely reading isn't hard, but I take notes in it a lot so I often end up revising as I read, so in one case the bare syntax looks ugly (and I can't see pictures) but in the other the edit-render-see loop is too clumsy.

Why do people think it's a good idea for the editor to do this? Doesn't it make sense to just have it be 1 file per window and then let the DE do the tiling instead of duplicating code?

Because some WMs use floating windows? I thought it was pretty obvious.

Even in Windows you can do Super+arrows to get some limited tiling.

But don't you think what you said just sounds silly?
Isn't the more rational solution for the user to just switch to a better WM?

Not , but no I don't. I don't favor complicated switching gynmnastics, instead of the specialized optimized one of my editor.
WMs know nothing whatsoever about buffers, file hierarchies, projects, editing context.

Why do people like you bother with OSes at all? Just boot straight into escape meta alt control shift.

That is unfortunate, but I need an OS to provide time-shared scheduling so I can run a second process for compiling, and then running my program.
Other than that I would be more than happy to run emacs as my unique task in X86 ring 0.

Emacs' tiling existed before graphical environments were widespread, and still works if you don't have one. It's nice to be able to do this anywhere, whether you're in GNOME, i3, a ssh session or MS-DOS.

Emacs does support having multiple "real" windows that are connected to the same instance, so you can let the window manager do these things if you want to.

But another advantage of having Emacs do it is that the window management is fully integrated with Emacs, so functions can temporarily take the place of other windows or you can switch windows as part of a macro. That would be much harder with window manager-managed windows, because some of them might not even be visible.

нет! Emacs отлично!