What do you read PDFs with?

There are no good PDF readers in existence. There's Adobe, which is a proprietary, security-hole ridden piece of garbage. There's Evince, which seems to be the most popular under Linux, but made the switch to forcing Client-Side-Decorations to fit in with the GNOME 3 crowd, making the title-bar comically big and full of buttons. And there's Foxit reader which I guess is okay if you want to use a free trial of user subjugation for the rest of your life, and it has terrible cartoonish buttons.

What's more is the redundancy of information in PDFs. Each page has the pagenumber marked nicely and the margins defined, usually has a header and footer as well. This all made sense back when software couldn't be counted on to help you get around the content, but now even our shitty PDF readers keep track of pages and titles. There's no need for any of this garbage taking up extra space. Obviously these aren't mandatory things for PDFs to have but they might as well be. It is extremely uncommon that I see a non-meme PDF that uses space wisely. They're awkward to read because of the "fanciness" and that's exacerbated by the fact that they're vertical, while our screens are horizontal.

Most of the PDF readers let you have one or two pages open at once. With one page open, you have all this wasted horizontal space because lol u guize pdfs should be like paper. If you have two pages open, you have to keep scrolling up and down to see what the fuck it says before you can turn the page. Tablets are okay for this because you can turn them sideways but none of them (that I've encountered) have the same aspect ratio even as a piece of paper, which forces you to scroll to see one page, or to get bits of the previous and next pages on your screen. That's less of a problem but it's still annoying as fuck.

Really the only way to reliably read PDFs in comfort is to do what they were originally intended for, which is to print them off and make use of the built-in margins and page numbers and layout. This is gay for a lot of reasons. First of all who even prints things off anymore that's like ancient technology. Secondly if you don't have a printer then you suddenly have to go somewhere like a library or Kinkos to get it printed, which costs an arm and a leg. If you do have a printer then you are either going to waste X pages of paper on some meme that you're going to read once and then trash, so you might as well save the paper and just put up with the discomfort, or you're going to print off hundreds of pages of stuff that's actually worth reading and costs you a fortune in ink or toner. Both of which are so expensive to replace that the meme where you buy a brand new printer that comes with fresh ink instead of buying ink cartridges isn't even a meme it's real life I've done it. And you'd better hope that your printer isn't botnetted to hell and back, spying on your shit, and sending everything everything that you print off straight to NASA. You also have to worry about the printer dots and make sure that none of the things that you printed off are ever subversive to the secret police because they will use them to find you. Not to mention the numerous compatibility problems with GNU+Linux operating systems and the various distros that printer drivers have.

Send help PDFs are literally homosexual why can't we have a way to read them easily. There is so much valuable information caught up in PDFs that I want to consume, but it's just so hard when the format is gobbling ten thousand cocks. There is a huge wealth of knowledge that can't be found anywhere else except for buying books or renting them from your library. The Internet was supposed to make knowledge more accessible, and it did, but the process to retrieve this knowledge and put it into your brain is such a convoluted process that it makes those Catholic kids who drive one state away, get married, bone, and then get a divorce in one weekend so that they're not technically sinning look simple.

Do any of you guys have a solution?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues/4992
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've always used adobe reader because it just werks until it stopped working. Forced to look for an alternative I downloaded Foxit and I hate that interface but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

On Windows I use SumatraPDF normally, Foxit if I need to fill out a form or do complicated annotations, and Adobe if it's some really finicky PDF that won't render right in anything else. MuPDF is good on GNU+Linux.

You pretty much cover all the issues. They're meant for looking good on paper, not a screen, and it's frustrating that so many people create PDFs clearly meant for electronic use (ebooks, journal articles, manuals). I'll point out that BW laser printers are quite cheap these days, you might as well buy one. Unless you print 100+ page books, the toner will last you a long time. There are some very cheap shredders if you're concerned with security.

Yes it also sucks that our monitors these days have aspect ratios designed for watching movies. If you do two pages per screen that is usually too small to read. I have a second vertical monitor which is pretty good for displaying one page at a time, it's quite readable.

The thing I hate about PDFs is that the way they're often made breaks conversion software too. For instance you get page numbers all over your text. eReaders can't deal with them at all. If only these PDFs were distributed as Latex (or whatever else) source code instead...

>What do you read PDFs with
mupdf

thread is over

That sounds wonderful and it would make it so much easier to make pretty ones. I can't be assed to waste time learning LaTeX's kinks past the bare minimum needed when there are so many better subjects to study.

I think Latex is very nice for text actually. The separation of style and content meme has a lot of truth. Latex just has clunky syntax for some things like in-line images and tables.

However the point is that Latex is very high-quality information. If you have Latex, you can make anything you want from it easily with Pandoc. Whereas PDF is terrible information, especially the way most people generate it, the data becomes hopelessly tangled up.

It's the same problem as closed-source binaries, really. PDF is like a compiled terminal format. You can't modify it, you can't do whatever you want with it. Data should always be distributed in a format that makes it easy to convert it to whatever other format you want. But Adobe succeeded in getting people to do the opposite with documents.

mupdf
zathura

pdf sux

On windows I just use sumatra.
Also works great as a cbr reader

Mupdf, you idiot.
qpdfview if you need more features (like 2-page view, which is especially nice for sheet music).

It's like OP never fucking just looked up "Best FOSS PDF viewer" or "Best Linux PDF viewer" and just tried what came up to see what was best. What a faggot.

xpdf on Linux. Evince on my sole Windows system just because I couldn't care less.

Style is the hard part to get right in LaTeX, the markup style sucks too especially for handling of special characters.

Sumatra.

If you use KDE, Okular is pretty clean.

The hilarious thing is that, at least in my experience, mupdf is several times larger than qpdfview.

This.

Then you're retarded. There's a no way a qt abomination is lighter than mupdf. Especially since it uses mupdf.

I know I'm not including qt itself in the size difference here since I already had that installed, but still, 38mb in compressed form for a "lightweight" program is pretty bullshit.

github.com/voidlinux/void-packages/issues/4992

Evince

What is so hard?

Just use okular like a normal fucking human being.

Used to use Evince because I actually liked its simplicity, but dropped it as soon as I discovered it crashed on certain PDF (namely, the Fantasy Craft 2e pdf, which includes some input fields). Now I use Okular, which is considerably more visually bloated than Evince, but just werks.

FF

I'm going to give muPDF a try then. Most of the Linux ones never suit my needs so for now I'm just running Sumatra via Wine.

xpdf, or sometimes pdftotext
gv also reads pdf, but I don't like the way it scrolls with keyboard.

Zathura.

Mupdf is, for the base program and all dependencies:

% du -Lhsc /usr/bin/mupdf $(ldd /usr/bin/mupdf | grep -F '=>' | awk '{print$3}')64K /usr/bin/mupdf9,6M /usr/lib64/libmupdf.so.1.81,3M /usr/lib64/libX11.so.672K /usr/lib64/libXext.so.61,7M /lib64/libc.so.6988K /lib64/libm.so.6812K /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.680K /usr/lib64/libjbig2dec.so.0424K /usr/lib64/libjpeg.so.62256K /usr/lib64/libopenjp2.so.72,3M /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.088K /lib64/libz.so.1164K /usr/lib64/libxcb.so.116K /lib64/libdl.so.268K /lib64/libbz2.so.1212K /usr/lib64/libpng16.so.1696K /lib64/libpthread.so.016K /usr/lib64/libXau.so.624K /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so.684K /usr/lib64/libbsd.so.019M insgesamt

And qpdfview on the same system is:

% du -Lhsc /usr/bin/qpdfview $(ldd /usr/bin/qpdfview | grep -F '=>' | awk '{print$3}')904K /usr/bin/qpdfview512K /usr/lib64/libcups.so.2128K /usr/lib64/libmagic.so.1504K /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtDBus.so.4256K /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtSql.so.411M /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtGui.so.43,0M /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtCore.so.496K /lib64/libpthread.so.01,3M /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.9.3/libstdc++.so.6988K /lib64/libm.so.692K /lib64/libgcc_s.so.11,7M /lib64/libc.so.61,1M /usr/lib64/libgnutls.so.2888K /lib64/libz.so.1280K /usr/lib64/qt4/libQtXml.so.4284K /usr/lib64/libdbus-1.so.31,1M /usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0212K /usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16812K /usr/lib64/libfreetype.so.6332K /usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.032K /usr/lib64/libSM.so.696K /usr/lib64/libICE.so.668K /usr/lib64/libXi.so.640K /usr/lib64/libXrender.so.144K /usr/lib64/libXrandr.so.224K /usr/lib64/libXfixes.so.344K /usr/lib64/libXcursor.so.1244K /usr/lib64/libfontconfig.so.172K /usr/lib64/libXext.so.61,3M /usr/lib64/libX11.so.616K /lib64/libdl.so.232K /lib64/librt.so.176K /usr/lib64/libtasn1.so.6224K /usr/lib64/libnettle.so.6216K /usr/lib64/libhogweed.so.4488K /usr/lib64/libgmp.so.10448K /lib64/libpcre.so.168K /lib64/libbz2.so.136K /usr/lib64/libffi.so.620K /lib64/libuuid.so.1168K /usr/lib64/libexpat.so.1164K /usr/lib64/libxcb.so.116K /usr/lib64/libXau.so.624K /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so.684K /usr/lib64/libbsd.so.029M insgesamt

xreader's not bad.

Emacs+gv

Any thoughts on the DVI format? Or is it just like PDF?

s/gv/gs

mupdf or adobe reader on an android tablet
I personally like the second option because I don't have to use the computer that way, on the downside, it's a tracking device and the screen is too bright at times. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle when I can afford one.

On Windows I use evince inside a fedora vm with an aesthetic dark gnome theme installed because that's the only fucking way to get inverted document colors and a decent reader UI color scheme at the same goddamn time. Foxit is bloated trash, sumatra is shit, and there's no easy way to get a dark UI for evince in windows since it's GNOME based.

This is a ridiculous, autistic solution but it's so true that PDF readers are mostly fucking trash.

My eyes.

Document Reader, whatever that is. I guess it's based on Evince?

Chrome

Adobe a shit

NegativeScreen is the best solution I could find that something remotely close to inverting the screen colors

llpp

Corel Pdf Fusion.
Check system requirements.
Works well with WIN 7 Ultimate 64Bit
Runs about $60

Okular.

Just werks.

No I don't use KDE either. I don't even use a fucking DE.

mupdf works on android

* dependency graph for kde-apps/okular-16.08.3 `-- kde-apps/okular-16.08.3 [~amd64 keyword] `-- media-libs/freetype-2.6.3-r1 (media-libs/freetype) amd64 `-- media-libs/phonon-4.9.0 (media-libs/phonon) amd64 [qt4] `-- media-libs/qimageblitz-0.0.6-r1 (media-libs/qimageblitz) amd64 `-- sys-libs/zlib-1.2.8-r1 (sys-libs/zlib) amd64 `-- dev-libs/chmlib-0.40-r1 (dev-libs/chmlib) amd64 `-- app-crypt/qca-2.1.1 (app-crypt/qca) amd64 [qt4] `-- app-text/djvu-3.5.25.3 (app-text/djvu) amd64 `-- app-text/ebook-tools-0.2.2-r1 (app-text/ebook-tools) amd64 `-- kde-apps/libkexiv2-15.08.3 (>=kde-apps/libkexiv2-4.14.3) amd64 [aqua=] `-- virtual/jpeg-0-r2 (virtual/jpeg) amd64 `-- kde-apps/kdegraphics-mobipocket-16.04.3 (>=kde-apps/kdegraphics-mobipocket-4.14.3) amd64 [aqua=] `-- app-text/poppler-0.45.0 (>=app-text/poppler-0.20) amd64 [qt4 -exceptions(-)] `-- app-text/libspectre-0.2.7 (app-text/libspectre) amd64 `-- media-libs/tiff-4.0.7 (media-libs/tiff) amd64 `-- sys-apps/sed-4.2.2 (>=sys-apps/sed-4) ~amd64 `-- sys-devel/make-4.1-r1 (sys-devel/make) amd64 `-- dev-util/cmake-3.5.2-r1 (>=dev-util/cmake-2.8.12) amd64 `-- dev-util/automoc-0.9.88-r1 (dev-util/automoc) amd64 `-- virtual/pkgconfig-0-r1 (virtual/pkgconfig) amd64 `-- x11-libs/libXtst-1.2.3 (>=x11-libs/libXtst-1.1.0) amd64 `-- x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto-2.3.1-r1 (x11-proto/xf86vidmodeproto) amd64 `-- app-text/docbook-xml-dtd-4.2-r2 (app-text/docbook-xml-dtd) amd64 `-- app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets-1.79.0 (app-text/docbook-xsl-stylesheets) amd64 `-- dev-lang/perl-5.22.2 (dev-lang/perl) amd64 `-- dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.6-r1 (>=dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5) amd64 [accessibility] `-- dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.6-r2 (>=dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5) amd64 [qt3support ssl] `-- dev-qt/qtdbus-4.8.6-r1 (>=dev-qt/qtdbus-4.8.5) amd64 `-- dev-qt/designer-4.8.6-r1 (>=dev-qt/designer-4.8.5) amd64 `-- dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.6-r4 (>=dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5) amd64 [accessibility dbus(+)] `-- dev-qt/qtscript-4.8.6-r2 (>=dev-qt/qtscript-4.8.5) amd64 `-- dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.6-r1 (>=dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.5) amd64 [qt3support] `-- dev-qt/qtsvg-4.8.6-r1 (>=dev-qt/qtsvg-4.8.5) amd64 `-- dev-qt/qttest-4.8.6-r1 (>=dev-qt/qttest-4.8.5) amd64 `-- kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.24 (>=kde-base/kdelibs-4.14.22) amd64 [aqua=] `-- kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons-5.26.0 (kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons) amd64
Gno.

wow
typical arch autist

PDFs are shit and can contain vulnerabilities. If someone sends me a PDF I refuse to open it and tell them to type me a text file that explains what's in the PDF.

Plain text files all the way.

fbpdf mupdf zathura okular

this
Chromium is the only safe PDF viewer in existence, none of the others have a sandbox.

linux - mupdf
windows - sumatrapdf

I read PDFs with my eyes, what the hell do you use you fucking faggot, I'm willing to bet that your brain is made up completely of breakfast cereal that's been left to moisten for a few hours. That's why you cant read PDFs with your eyes because your brain is getting but soggy mush that was once a beautiful bowl of cereal, could it have been cornflakes, or maybe even some fucking lucky charms but without the fucking marshmallows. Only that fucking bland brown cereal, that would be a perfect match since your mind is so fucking bland you cant even read you soggy bowl of bland brown bits of lucky charms that been out for an hour just soaking up the milk and moistening as some disgusting nigger fucked the bowl of lucky charms and ejaculates inside of the cereal giving your mushy brain some odd creampie and milk fluid to go with the lucky charms, and being in that skull of your just makes it worse as now its soaking in all the that excrement that you blow out of your face instead of your ass.

Sumatra on Windows
I used to use evince on Linux, but it's shit lately.

>>>/4chan/

lol nobody cares

Calibre.

To the crybabies complaining about mupdf being 16-32MB in size.

Almost all of that is uncompressed fonts.

We had this discussion in the void linux issue tracker. Idea was to convince upstream to compress them down and unpack them at launch (would likely be faster than reading it uncompressed from disk, even SSD).

I use foxit reader, I used to like Adobe back in 5 or 6 i think stopped using it on 7

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
MEMECENTER.COM

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
That sounds incredible. And holy moly this one is beautiful too. I'm really loving the colours in this one.

oops

I'm impressed, user. Really. I am. I mean, I haven't seen color that shitty in a long, long time. Honestly, the way you turned that grass into that richly saturated shade of neon is just remarkable.

Not sure if serious, but do you seriously think people here don't know what gaia is? If you're gonna advertise then fucking pay for it and support this dying shithole

HOLY SHIT, did Stefan go to hell?

Try dealing or smuggling coke

better: what do you manipulate them with? something for linux w/ OCR. Any recommendations?

Decompressing fonts stored in a compression archive then reading the fonts is faster than reading an uncompressed font directly? I don't believe you!

Disks are slow.