Cartoonists who voice their own characters

When is this appropriate?

When they're actually good at it, even if they claim they're bad voice actors.

Seth Macfarlane has a good voice tbh, just most of his creations are shit

So that explains why the voice is so awful in that show. Also those mutton chops don't look good on him.

They make me ashamed to have facial hair.

Mike just does the occasional pisstake voice, while Matt seems to mostly do that one voice outside Homestar

They're also Billy and Pete. And a bunch of others.

I don't think they have much range but they are good at music.

I know, I just chose to stick with the pair they've referred to as the most similar to themselves.

You do realize that most animators don't start off with budgets for voice actors? Almost all animators voice some part in their own work at some point.

IIRC, the stress of running the show, writing it AND voicing major characters may have been one of the reasons Gravity Falls was a season shorter than planned.

Sometimes they're so greedy, doing stupid voices won't require rocket science

I was just wondering if sometimes it makes you look like a narcissist.

I think its all right if you just do the voices of background characters.

that character gets more and more meta the more I learn about him

Seth MacFarlane voiced FG characters since the early pilot when Lois was blonde. In his case, he probably had attachment to the characters and felt he was the best person for the job. At the very least, for Peter, Stewie, and Brian, as he recast Chris for the full show.

Some people get very attached to characters and how they're played. and they find it very hard to picture it in a different way. That's just how a lot of creative people are.

As far as when it's appropriate, it should be obvious if they have talent. Of the few clips I've seen of Mighty Magiswords, it's not like he's bad voicing the character, it's just not like it requires a lot of range. I think Grey Griffin voices his sister, so that might be an instance where someone with infinitely more talent outshines the inexperienced creator, but like I said, I've only seen clips.

Anyway, creators, if they want to do it, can totally do it, but they should have humility if they realize they can't. If you have a vision, work closely with that actor who you think best suits the role to bring the character to life.

Dan Povenmire voiced Heinz Doofenshmirtz in P&F and Swampy Marsh voiced Francis Monogram in that same show.

well, if the person is able to do a decent performance then I think they should be allowed to try it

also, if they have a great vocal range, why not let them try more

Wacky Delly was probably the most meta episode of any cartoon ever

Well

Just Ren

Before he got shitcanned

Hey, the if the voices fit, go for it.

You know I think he could pass off as a supervillain pretty well. I think its the goatee.

When the cartoon is good.

Pete Browngardt voices Uncle Grandpa.
Pretty good if you ask me.

Bonus points: The creator is voicing their blatant self-insert.

Little cameos are nice too, especially if the main characters annoy or argue with them.