Should i stay with optic fiber ISP or revert back to ADSL isp?

should i stay with optic fiber ISP or revert back to ADSL isp?

pros: faster speed, rarely any downtimes
cons: """"dynamic"""" IP that changes once in a blue moon and can't be changed by the user, only by the server that manages said IPs.

to me its fishy as fuck, why can an old technology like ADSL assign you a random IP from a range when you turn it off and on but OpticFiber™ can't?

is there any way to manually change my public IP in this shit or do i have to buy a VPN? none of the ipconfig commands do anything at all

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/the-router-rumble-ars-diy-build-faces-better-tests-tougher-competition/
tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5506_TL-WR740N.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most likely because Fiber ISP is a smaller company that cannot afford literally MILLIONS bidding on IP ranges, so they don't have huge IP pools to assign to people and as such don't feel the need to invest into a rotating dynamic IP allocation system and just goes with a static assignment.

Also if you're connecting through a router or modem then good luck changing your assigned IP with ipconfig.

i dont know much about networks, apologies.

having one IP that doesn't change in maybe months and can be tracked down feels unsafe to me.

That is how disproportionate you are being, OP.

Depending on how you're set up and what setup your ISP uses, you might be able to force an IP assignment by issuing an IP release/renew on the router itself, alternatively change the router mac address.

Hack your cable/fiber modem's firmware. Then you can change IPs all day long.

(but a VPN or Tor would probably be much easier. not sure if either would be much faster than ADSL tbh)

If you can do this its about all you can do to change your IP. My "dynamic" IP has been the same for about four years. My little fiber box on the wall pumps out real ethernet though and I can have 5 diffrent macs connected to it so I have my routher, a server and a dedicated line going to my pc (which I can change the mac on) but I can only change it about twice a week because it wont allow more than 5 and it will remember old macs and not let new ones on if untill some random ammount of time passes and it decideds to forget an old one.

i just phoned them up and they wouldn't even give me the classic "type in 192.168.0.1 to access the config" drivel that tech supports are usually paid to give, for the most bullshit excuse, """security reasons""". practically told me to go fuck myself if i wanted to configure the router or change the IP even though they verified that i was the owner of the service hired.

thread tl;dr: Salesman™ promises me Optic Fiber connection with fully configurable router/modem and the ability to change IP at will, neither are available nor supported by ISP.

Did you ask them to assign you a new IP, or did you just ask for access to the router/modem thing?

The reason they're not giving you access is most likely because they've had bad experience in the past trusting customers with managing their own shit. It's much easier to just tell them "Sorry no, security reasons" than having to deal with 53 follow-up phonecalls because the customer disabled WiFi due to some shit they read on Facebook, and now cannot access the internet because "What is an ethernet cable?? YOU PROMISED ME WIRELESS INTERNET AND I DONT WANT WIFI BECAUSE FACEBOOK SAID IT LETS PEOPLE HACK ME".

Just call them back and ask to be escalated until you get out of Tier 1, and maybe you'll end up with someone who can either offer you access to the router/modem thing so you can release/renew yourself, or maybe assign your account to some extra-special dynamic IP allocation thing, assuming they have one.

If that doesn't work then just tell them that you want to cancel your service. This will cause them to forward you to their customer retention department, which on most companies pretty much have free reign to offer or promise you anything to ensure you stay with them. Tell them that "Salesman™" promised this ability to change IP at will, and that you are displeased with their service because their customer support is now telling you you cannot because "safety reasons".

Either they will go "One moment, Sir" and offer you access to the modem/router thing or shove you onto a dynamic IP thing, or they will allow you to cancel your service and move to ADSL Provider.

Either way you win.

thats what i will do user on monday, because the sales fuckfaces are off already, thank you

OP back here, i called this morning they told me i could change IP all i wanted if i bought my own router and called them up again to set theirs as a "bridge".

sorry to be a bother with this, but is that a possibility? again i suck at anything networking-related, i just know how to build PCs and install OSs and shit.

Yes, that should work. Might want to ask the sticky for recommendations but look here arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/09/the-router-rumble-ars-diy-build-faces-better-tests-tougher-competition/

would this one work?
tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5506_TL-WR740N.html

its cheap and the computer store 4 blocks down my house supposedly has them in stock, they also have 300mbps and 450mbps ones of the same brand.

pic related is my current speed with this optic fiber ISP, im not sure if i'd be losing speed by buying this 150mbps router or if i should buy the 450mbps one call me retarded but as far as my shit understanding goes, the "speed" of these routers is measured in megabit, while your internet speed is in megabytes, so i'd have to multiply my 50Mb speed by 8 to know which router wouldn't give me any losses?

It's pointless and retarded to change your IP for the sake of it. You realize ISPs keep logs of what customers were assigned which IP when? Dynamic IPs don't shroud you in mystery.

that's ok, but changing your IP has other uses. For example, bypassing the download cap on sites like mega.

i managed to change it once today, doing the bridge+new router thing. i have it all set up now. but i can't change it anymore it seems. according to ISP it has something to do with availability of IPs in their server, though that sounds like bogus to me, shouldn't they be using PPPoE or am i still not understanding how this optic fiber thing works?

Deal with it, ADSL will die off one day anyway.

Get a VPN.

maybe ADSL will die when someone makes a new technology that can give you a different IP whenever you want. maybe one day i won't need to change my IP because the concept of download caps or banning won't be a thing.

It would be much appreciated

Did you fuckin delete the other one?

My kingdom for a source

I will eat the evidence!