Is debian linux a good distro, or are there better forks of it?

Is debian linux a good distro, or are there better forks of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
ubuntu-mate.org/
xubuntu.org/
debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.html
6809.org.uk/evilwm/
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161129.235004.ff04e844.en.html
devuan.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Derpian Linux is a Linux for faggots.

Real men use Gentoo, Arch, Slackware, Manjaro OpenRC, Lunar Linux, Source Mage, Alpine Linux, Gentoo FreeBSD, PacBSD and your mom's bed.

Leave and don't come back until you can ask better questions.

catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Debian is historical unfortunately bad decisions where made.
If you want a debian like distro go look devuan.
Otherwise be a tech and install gentoo/parabola.

Also stay away from systemd

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as
Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it,
GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather
another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by
the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising
a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of
GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its
users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by
the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just
a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the
system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs
that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system,
but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete
operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU
operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added,
or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really
distributions of GNU/Linux.

Debian is great. It's very flexible. It lets you run stable or rolling release, minimal or bloated, freetard+ or Steam, it supports three different init systems, it supports three different kernels, it supports a lot of weird CPU architectures, it has lots of packages, and so on.

There's not much it's the absolute best at, but it's good at a lot of different things. I end up running it on just about everything.

If you're looking for a first distro I'd recommend something else. It's not too bad for new users, but there's much better available. If you haven't used Linux or Unix before, try one of these:
ubuntu-mate.org/
xubuntu.org/

Ignore any talk about systemd for now. Taking a stand about it before you have the technical knowledge necessary to understand it will only make things harder.

It works and is stable, a lot of enterprise uses Debian for this reason.

what are you looking to use debian for?

I hate systemd because the memes told me to and that's enough of a reason for me. I hate jews for the same reason.

Thank you for illustrating my point.

I've met Poetteringstein in one of the 10 concentration camps I've been during the systemd holocaust and I assure you it's even worse than the jewish holocaust. Our swimming pools were small and even the masturbation machines didn't work most of the time. Luckily, the gas chambers were broken too. Everyday they sent me there to be gassed but miraculously water always came out instead of the deadly gas. I will never understand how, but it's true and it's a crime to question it.

Spoken like a true "it's better because it's new" millennial faggot.

2/10 made me reply

Maybe you should also hate it because it destroys choice and they have a habit of trying to pressuring devs into making it a dependency. Like the tmux developer who got dog pilled when he told them to fuck off.

So does that mean screen and dvtm are cucked on debian?
also what is dog-pilled?

systemd dev went into to tmux forums asking for tmux to start using and linking to systemd. tmux dev thought the idea was dumb and said no. Also pocking at it for trying to eat up small apps in user space. So then he go swammped by systemd rabid fans hoping to get a taste of poettering dick.

My autistic uncle uses Debian and he likes it.

I can't into gentoo and microsoft is putting it's claws on ubuntu. What do?

The systemd timebomb hasn't fully exbloated yet and removing it is still possible, albeit a pain in the neck.

Debian
Linux Mint debian
Manjaro
Slackware

use debian stable only for a server

this is a smart mindset user

Debian and Mint are both systemd you stupid ass

Since when?

debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.html

Install Debian.

Devuan and gNewSense are way to go, both free/libre and without systemd, perfect combination.

Devuan isn't even out of beta yet. I very much doubt that it is perfect.
Devuan GNU+Linux is a fork of Debian without systemd. Its Beta release marks an important milestone towards the sustainability and the continuation of Devuan as a universal base distribution.

gNewSense lacks systemd because it's old, doesn't it? You might as well just run Wheezy.

Running Debian versions later than Wheezy without systemd is actually not that hard. Keep in mind that Debian has multiple ports that use kernels that don't support systemd in the first place.

MATE is pretty nice for normies.
I use evilwm
6809.org.uk/evilwm/

Beta 2
lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20161129.235004.ff04e844.en.html

lol get out

at least you got alpine

What's wrong with MATE? It just seems to be the old gnome.

Devuan is a systemd free Debian distro however the only thing that sucks is their politics and wifi bullshit.

devuan.org/

Its also in beta but I use to use it as my daily driver until the WICD bullshit made me go back to Trisquel.

I didn't realize it used WICD. Is it any more convenient than just removing systemd from Debian?

Im not expert but from what I researched a lot of the normal shit you would do on a laptop like closing the lid to suspend for XFCE used systemd along with replacing the network manager with wicd.

Yes, and it gives problems on systemd-less Debian. I think I found a work-around for closing the lid, but it was a while ago and I tried it purely out of interest, since I like systemd.

If these are problems on Devuan then it sounds like Devuan is not any more convenient than running "apt remove systemd wicd+" on Debian.

Or if you insist on staying with Debian try Wheezy.

Seriously, how hard is it for a distro to let you choose between two or more init scripts? Is it so difficult that only gentoo lets you do it?

Debian lets you do it.

but the old init system was arguably shit. why would anyone choose shit?

No one's arguing that the system needed a new face. But the choice of new face is eating all the things and getting fat. And when it falls over it takes everything with it.

In which sense? Systemd is split up into many processes, and most of them can safely crash.