Chernobyl's New Safe Confinement

On April 26th 2012, construction officially started on the New Safe Confinement in Chernobyl, Ukraine. This 108m tall structure is set to become the new sarcophagus for the destroyed nuclear reactor in 2016.
The structure will weigh over 30 000 metric tons, span over 270m, and its length will be over 150m.

More detailed info can be found in the archived threads.

Archived threads are here and span from 2012-2016
archive.4plebs.org/hr/thread/1943349/ '12
archive.4plebs.org/hr/thread/2242413 '13
archive.4plebs.org/hr/thread/2499885/ '14
archive.4plebs.org/hr/thread/2762093/#2762093 '15
archive.4plebs.org/hr/thread/2803152/#2803152 '16

Posting a photographic archive of the process from start to finish, with some text info.
Post will be in somewhat chronological order.
First images are computer renditions of the project. The rest will be actual photo's.
M/b/GA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aN_OI8_1yL8
ebrd.com/what-we-do/sectors/nuclear-safety/chernobyl-shelter-fund.html
skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1534048&page=22
chnpp.gov.ua/en/construction-online
chnpp.gov.ua/images/ip_cam/oneshotimage-sp1430.jpeg
chnpp.gov.ua/images/ip_cam/oneshotimage-hoyat1.jpeg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Islands_Resort
vinci.com/commun/dossiers_presse.nsf/216FE943BD1E2B6FC1257AED004CF17D/$File/vinci-enceinte-confinement-tchernobyl-en.pdf
vimeo.com/112681885
lmgtfy.com/?q=fukushima leakage
archive.is/SwOxf
archive.is/e19Uw
youtube.com/user/bionerd23/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=2&view=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In order to protect workers, the new structure ("the arch") is being assembled on the side of the damaged reactor. When completed, it will be slid over the current sarcophagus.

The arch is assembled in two main section (east and west). Each section is assembled from top to bottom, and lifted to allow steel to be added

October 17th, 2007

Preliminary work is being done on the side of the existing sarcophagus. Thousands of tons of concrete will be poured there to support the new arch.

The current sarcophagus is very unstable. One of the goal of the New Safe Confinement (NSC) is to dismantle the existing sarcophagus.

Why don't they just nuke chernobyl?

who cares?

welcome to 2017

November 24th, 2011.

New ventilation stack still going up.

fuck off

you stupid double nigger
they just finished it in Dec '16

and im the stupid nigger?

November 24th, 2012.
Those big white towers being assembled are lifting towers. They are used to raise the arch by jacking up the central section.

What are you on about user?
Nice green text but I don't get it.

did you work on it or are you just autistic?

make me

go fuck yourself

first moon landing is set to happen 1969
crew will consist of Neil Armstrong
, Michael Collins and Buzz Aldrin

make me

make me

You can see part of the internal cladding in these two pics. The NSC have both internal and external cladding. External is to protect the structure from external damage caused by the environment. Internal is to protect the structure and the environment from radiation and radioactive dust.

hey faggot. answer me. did you work on it, or are you just an autist?

June 14th, 2013.

Second lift of the first section of the arch. If you look closely on the inside of the arch, you can see the beams that will hold the bridge cranes inside the NSC.

trips checked
and fuck off

September 16th, 2013.

Third and last lift of the first section. They had an issue that prevented steel to be added before the lift. So the structure in standing like that while last steel sections are added to the structure.

September 17th, 2013

The arch has reached its final height (it actually is even 2 meters higher than the final height)

The old ventilation stack is still up. The dismantling should start soon (in a matter of days)

fuck you

October 23th, 2014

November 18th, 2014

Fun fact: the yellow crane in the back is one of the world's tallest cherry picker (Wumag Palfinger WT 1000, just over 100m).

Technological building, viewed from the top of the NSC

The Ukraine exclusion zone will be there for the next 2 million years, and it gets bigger every year.

Thank You
I had hoped more anons would be interested

Q Are you guys worried about the original sarcophagus collapsing during the movement of the arch over it?
A I'm pretty sure they've taken that into account. The skidding operation is quite slow, so it shouldn't impact the integrity of the existing sarcophagus.

December 29th, 2014

Swedes were the first ones to find out that something happened. On the 28th at the Forsmark Nuclear Power Plant some workers from the morning shift going in the plant were refused entry at the automatic radiation detection gates. Because the gates have detected, that they've already received the maximum daily allowed dose (of radiation).
At first they thought that something was off with their plant, but later they found out that the plant was safe and the radiation comes form a reactor incident, probably from Eastern Europe (Lithuania, Belarus or Ukraine). It took some 12 hours to figure out which plant it actually comes from.
This was a widely reported fact at the eve of the 28th (by the BBC) so the US knew basically 2 days later.

Will the radiation degrade the steel user?

op out
lack of interest

see here

Smh made me read all that just for op to leave

You would think they would have found a way to desperce particles that attract radiation as like a mist dropped from a plane

Fuck you OP. I came home and started to enjoy reading this. If you pussy out I'll feed you into the reactor personally!

I don't think op ever planned on discussing it and is just being a faggot now

I NEED TO SEE IT IN ITS FINAL FORM

It melted concrete

bump

OP should have chilled out for the day and let this thing snowball.

it's bed time in moscow, moron. op has gone home to his babushka, laughing his little slav head off at the stupidity of americans.

bitches gon bitch

those photos prove its daytime

it's always bedtime in moscow.

the sun doesn't exist in russia.

op is fag

why

He took off without finishing posting pictures.

I am op
I will continue

at the time all eastern block countries had recalled all radiation dosimeters (personal dosimeters, geiger counters, etc.) from the scientists and locked them up. And is some countries authorities began to give preschoolers and elementary schoolers iodine tablets. This of course considerably raised suspicion that something went terribly wrong with some reactor. By the 29th the eastern block countries' media also began reporting on the incident. Dismissing it as a minor malfunction. But the genie was already out of the bottle, so they had to come clean in about a week. About the time the first bodies began dropping.

March 10th, 2015

April 4th, 2015

It's essentially going to be the replacement for the current "sarcophagus" which was built 30 years ago and is in danger of collapse. The secondary purpose is to dismantle the reactor, the arch will have special bridge cranes and other equipment to try to do that.

As for what Ukraine will do with the area, it will most likely be cordoned off for a very long time. Without human intervention it has become quite the nature reserve!

June 3rd, 2015

This picture is really interesting because it shows most of the "tilting panels" and their mechanism. Those panels are on the eastern side and linked to the structure using hinges. During the final skidding operation, they'll be lifted/opened so as not to come too close to the existing sarcophagus. Once the structure will have reached its final position, they'll be closed/lowered. On the picture, you can see all the cables operating this mechanism.

To the right, you can see two cranes lifting one of those panel. Inside the structure, you can also see the progress on the bridge crane's north garage.

Thanks user
Here is a pic of that Ferris wheel

During the time they were building that did they ever go to check on the Elephant foot?

July 12th, 2015

Thanks op. I'm saving most of these. Looking forward to seeing how it is finished.

Yes.
There are some newer photos of it.
Maybe on in my folder.
Need to look
brb

Your welcome user.
Will post for about another hour.
Need to go to town after that but will finish when I get back

sorry can't find the pic

July 18th, 2015

The west bridge crane being set up. It's scheduled to be lifted in November.

July 18th, 2015

The curved sections inside the NSC has railings that can be used to carry cradles.

Well that sucks, but it's gonna be there for another century so plenty of time for new pictures.

Junction between the two sections. There are over 600 000 bolts like those (M30) in the whole structure.

The bridge cranes will have a total of 3 carriages, which will be able to move from each bridge crane to the other. 2 of those carriages are more or less classic, but the third is the Mobile Tool Platform which is uses tensile truss. Here's a video of it: youtube.com/watch?v=aN_OI8_1yL8

have a meme for your trouble op

who's paying for all this?

The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and dozens of countries. Extensive list here: ebrd.com/what-we-do/sectors/nuclear-safety/chernobyl-shelter-fund.html

classic

this is bullshit. Russians and Jews caused the problem, so they should be the ones paying for it.

I have no say user, just posting the info I have

and I'm just posting a commentary on it. you got a problem?

no
Thanks for the input

September 1st, 2015

October 5th, 2015

One of the tilting panels, opened halfway

Have another meme for prime quality posting

While researching these archives I found a link to the og op.

If you want to follow more of this project, here's a thread over at Skyscraper City: skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1534048&page=22

kek

more memes to properly compensate op

Here are all the webcams that were up.
Not sure if they still are
chnpp.gov.ua/en/construction-online
chnpp.gov.ua/images/ip_cam/oneshotimage-sp1430.jpeg
chnpp.gov.ua/images/ip_cam/oneshotimage-hoyat1.jpeg

uhh
online link works
the other two are jpeg links
I am retarded

Is there any modern build this can be compared to size-wise?
How much bigger is this than a football stadium?

You might be able to compare it with the Aerium en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Islands_Resort . NSC is about half its length, but a bit wider. The NSC structure also is 12m "thick" (even more near the top), so it would be a bit less impressive than the Aerium from the inside. If you only look at the "core" of the Aerium (ie. without the rounded doors), it's more or less what the NSC will be.

If you want to compare it with a stadium, you can go to page 4 of this document: vinci.com/commun/dossiers_presse.nsf/216FE943BD1E2B6FC1257AED004CF17D/$File/vinci-enceinte-confinement-tchernobyl-en.pdf where they compare it with the Stade de France.

op here
got shit to do
will be back in a few hours to compleat the thread
will post some tube links of the skidding process
and a time lapse of the entire project.
Other source links as well
Later

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Islands_Resort
holy fuck, why am I only hearing about this place now? this is the coolest thing ever

Can't wait

That's a new meme

Who's paying for this, Russia or Ukraine?

The mods are especially slow today

look here

Fuck, I'm Australian and I want my tax dollars back

so they can give it to abbos

September 10th, 2015

A nice view of the east side, showing the "tilting panels" that will be opened during the final skidding operation to move over the destroyed reactor.

To the far right you can see the mobile tool platform, that will be used in the decommissioning operations: youtube.com/watch?v=aN_OI8_1yL8

Have about 250 more pics
about 2 hours to post it all
Getting into the last stages of the work

If you zoom in to the left, you can see people working on the structure in a basket under the crane boom. It gives a sense of scale.

Some people say that the Ukrainian experts intentionally overestimated the collapse risk of the current sarcophagus to get more funding from the international community.

However, the existing sarcophagus was built in a hurry, was never designed as a long term solution, and a side section of it collapsed a few years back. So it might not be as necessary as some people make it to be, but it still is necessary.

October 22nd, 2015

This is the "technological building", right next to the existing sarcophagus. That's where they'll monitor the NSC, control the bridge crane, recover materials, etc.

Actually that's given me an idea.
We'll donate more if you can take some abbos to entomb in that thing.

kek

December 7th, 2015

You can see one of the bridge cranes at the top inside the NSC.

January 23rd, 2016

January 28th, 2016

A view from inside the roof of the NSC.

Second pic

March 10th, 2016

You can see a bridge crane installed, one on the ground, and a tilting panel open.

March 11th, 2016

This is one of the very few HR pics from the work inside the existing building. Here we see the turbine hall, where 2 huge walls will be build to meet the east & west extremities of the NSC and seal that section of the building.

That required removing a lot of old elements here from before & during the accident.

This is neat, thanks for sharing user

cool

How hard is it to get access to Pripyat ?
You can easily go with a group tour, a few companies do that. Going by yourself is almost impossible.

March 31st, 2016
Lifting of the second bridge crane.

April 4th, 2016

Are the patrolling the city?
I don't know how they secure the exclusion zone, but I doubt it involves patrolling Pripyat. I do know however that they increased military presence to deal with increasing illegal intrusions. Even made some arrests.

Why are they even doing this? Is there still enough radioactive material in there going into the air that it's a concern? Shouldn't they be more worried about some leaching into the groundwater or maybe cleaning up those buried waste sites?

The danger is a collapse of the existing sarcophagus, due to its very unstable base. That would release an enormous amount of radioactive dust into the area/atmosphere. That's why they're building the NSC, they will dismantle the existing sarcophagus and recover most of the radioactive material to make the site as safe as possible.

They want to decommission the whole complex, and that's going to bring up a lot of dust during the process. The new structure is to contain the work to dismantle the existing sarcophagus and the reactor remnants within. The existing sarcophagus is not suitable for this, and in need of disposal.

June 1st, 2016

How do they shield radiation so effectively? Seems rather lightweight and thin?
Innermost layer is Lexan. The NSC isn't designed for radiation shielding, but to keep radioactive dust within the confinement.

Largest movable structure ever built.

Time for a webm interlude. Filmed from a drone in early July, 2016.

more webm

Why contain it? It's cool.

It's primarily alpha and beta radiation, which can be shielded by a piece of paper.

August 30th, 2016

In the foreground, you can see where the NSC will link with the building. At the bottom left of the picture, you can see a hole on the roof where the ventilation stack will be (more on that later).

You can also clearly see the red rails on both side of the arch.

here

yea this too

September 1st, 2016
You can catch a glimpse inside the turbine hall, where the wall are being built.

Rare view from the top of the NSC

September 3rd, 2016
Installing the ventilation stack. Over 80 tons lifted at 100m height.

Anyone have some comparison pictures? Ideally before the accident/first sarcophagus/current situation.

Here's what reactor 4 looked like before the accident.

Here's what it looked like after the sarcophagus was completed.

Here's what it looked like after the Designed Stabilization Steel Structure was added in 2006. To this day, it still looks like this.

The building in the foreground that is partially uncovered is the turbine hall. It extends all along the power plant's reactors. The section near reactor 4 was damaged during the accident, and the roof was covered with an extra layer (old rusty sections). The shiny section in the middle was added a few years ago after part of the building collapsed under snow weight.

So the only thing they removed from the existing structures are two sections of the turbine hall to erect walls that will seal the NSC. Oh, and the old ventilation stack also (but they added a new one, so all in all, doesn't change much).

fucked up this post

Here's what it looked like after the Designed Stabilisation Steel Structure was added in 2006. To this day, it still looks like this.

Here's a picture showing the turbine hall after the accident, before they covered it.

And here's a picture from the turbine hall after the sarcophagus was built.

Back to the ventilation stack installation. Here's a very fast time-lapse.

September 4th, 2016

Here's a picture to understand what part of the building they plan on removing.

October 2016
The skidding will start on November 12th and last 2 weeks.

more webms

Postcards from Pripyat, Chernobyl

really nice video of the deserted city

vimeo.com/112681885

Isnt it a bit late to cover the factory? Like 40 years late….. You can already walk around there so there isnt any point.

Wallpaper worthy

I can post a Higher Res version if you like

you didn't even read the op user
that's just sad

yes

ok brb

ear ya go

thanks mane

Really nice to see interesting content.
Did you work on it or why does this interest you so much ?

double dubs checked

All the pics here were in a higher res.
I resized them for posting purposes

No I didn't work there.
Just an oldfag who remembers this from when it began.
It garnered a lot of interest with the Stalker games also.
An epic event that still makes news today.
I guess.

Video images from Pripayt

bretty gud

bump

September 22nd, 2016

Taken from Duga. The NSC is visible on the left.

November 10th, 2016

Focus on the skidding mechanism.

some webms of the skid assemblies

final stage webms

I truly cannot wait for someone to mod this into a stalker game so i can explore it.

Pripyat

nice thread

this framing makes me erect

I take it the project is fully complete?

Fuckers better get the good artifacts out first

anyone interested in the last part of my post?
It includes the skidding over the old plant with video and pics

yes

ok
getting my shit in order

some drone webms while get organized

ok one more clip and ready for the BIG move

This is the most retarded thing ever built by a bunch of cucks probably because some babushkas complained or something smh

Home made time lapse

You should use this mental energy for something more productive like,
finding a new piss bottle.

This is great feat of human engineering mane.

Also, fun fact, did you know that there are fungus over there that evolved to feed of the radiation?

Three year time lapse 2013-2016

op here
no shit
that's fuckin crazy

Get out of here, Stalker.

big deal. those were discovered over 30 years ago in your mom's vagina.

irradiated fungi have only ever been found in the vagina of melania trump. the mycosis got so bad, uranium was the only viable treatment known to men or jews.

posting some vids of inside the original sarcophagus tomorrow, if the thread is still up

Good night

Thanks OP, this is really nice thread.

Not OP, but no it shouldn't.

The radiation did not, and cannot directly melt concrete or anything as far as I know. The un-cooled, still active cores melted, causing a lava pool of graphite and uranium that melted through the concrete floor of the reactor vessel. That is what caused the "Elephant's Foot" and concrete pillars/blobs.

You can also see the degraded quality of the picture due to the effects of radiation on film.

making some video posts in a few minuets

Thank You user

have some oc from the s.t.a.l.k.e.r. zone

Pt. 2

It must have bee surreal to evacuate the city. Fleeing from something you can't see, hear, or even smell, and still everyone is scared out of their collective minds. I wonder if sirens sounded when the NPP went critical.

daily reminder that fukushima disaster was much worse for the world and as of 2016 continues leaking radiation at an alarming rate

are these on youtube anywhere? good stuff

any info on that?

Are humans actually this autistic? You get more passive radiation from being on an airplane.

lmgtfy.com/?q=fukushima leakage

archive.is/SwOxf
archive.is/e19Uw

You should make your own thread about it

this is dangerous ?

Even if that were true, people don't live in the sky.

The Chernobyl NPP isn't a sun. It does, however, contain materials (in particular dust) that if kicked up, would be a global disaster.

You will understand if you are not autistic.

yea she has a lot of Chernobyl stuff

youtube.com/user/bionerd23/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=2&view=0

bump

Quality thread.