Microsoft enables Linux desktop users to send SMS text messages with latest Skype Alpha

By Brian Fagioli

Linux-based desktop operating systems can sometimes be incredible for productivity and security, but they can be deficient from a feature and application perspective too. Windows 10 and macOS Sierra, for instance, are chock-full of some exciting software that is simply not available on Linux, such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop, although alternatives (LibreOffice and Gimp for example) can sometimes be passable.

With all of that said, Microsoft has delivered an incredible feature to Linux-based desktop operating systems by way of the latest Alpha version of its Skype client. What is this exciting feature of which I speak? Well, the newly-released Skype for Linux 1.13 allows users to send SMS test messages from the operating system!

True, web-based solutions such as Google Voice have long allowed the sending of text messages, but needing to use a web browser can be a chore. There is convenience and elegance in using the Skype for Linux client.

Microsoft shares the following new aspects of the 1.13 version of Skype.

Enabled SMS sending
Update to Electron 1.4.7
Support for remote escalation of the 1-1 call to group call
Improved crash reporting
Added support for authentication token revocation
Bugfixes and performance improvements

SkypeLinux113

Want to give Linux for Skype Alpha 1.13 a try? You can download using the links below.

DEB
RPM

betanews.com/2016/11/27/microsoft-linux-sms-skype/

I know it's just embrace extend extinguish
BUT FLIPPING HELL THANK GOD FINALLY
I was so sick of dealing with old Skype on Linux with all of its bugs and incompatibilities.

Never stop posting Brian Fagioli news.

This used to work in Skype's shitty Qt linux client back in like 2007. What incredible progress.
As if Skype wasn't shitty enough to begin with what with it spending more CPU time preventing reverse engineering than doing actual useful work, now it's a god damn web browser "app".

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI SKYPE ME DIRTY MESSAGEOLIS

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI GIVE ME THE BOTNETOLI

what is this, 2002?

MODS, ADD THIS AS A BANNER!

I never noticed.

FAGIOLI FAGIOLI MAKE IT A BANNEROLI

Shit-tier ripoff of ghetto skype

How are we already in the extend stage? Is. Embrace really that short of a process?

Lel, "from an application and feature perspective".
Does this guy live in 2007 or what?

Does anyone have the link for better alternatives?

Who cares? I've been doing that with regular email for probably a decade.

FAGIOLI

FAGIOLI

BOTNETIOLI

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
Still applies when you read people's minds and improv something they like for their benefit without planning.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
redditors can't seriously be this retarded

you are not triggering anyone

and*

That's fucking amazing.

coke is illegal you cuck

Ruby confirmed for a roundheeled scarlet woman.

Which is fine, since Hanamaru's much better with Yoshiko.

As much as i would like to it's difficult when half of your pay goes into rent and other expenses £14k doesn't spend well.

This position, just minus the nigger.

you must be very fucked up.