What's your field of work or study?

I'm curious about what are the fields of study of Holla Forums. What's your major, what do you work with, etc.? Tell me about your academic interests and vocations. Also, how do you perceive to be the dominating political ideology from your peers?

I'm graduating in Computer Science, working on getting a master's degree. At least where I graduated, the political views of CompSci people seem to be pretty diverse – within the range of acceptable political opinion, at least.

How about you.

Working on a masters in Philosophy. I know I have no job prospects for the future and I don't care.

Last time we had this thread, the most common occupation was Electrical Engineer.

I'm a dropout, drepression and just being without motivation to really get a degree for myself is what keeps me from finishing a phil degree of any kind.

Most people in the classes of phil I took, and every other class, were typical social liberals who didn't question any of their assumed concepts like rights, etc. Most avoided economics like the plague.

Bachelor's in Zoology working on getting into a Masters/Doctorate program because I've only ever wanted to do research.

I would say most biologists are fairly left because they recognize the need to protect the environment and that capitalism doesn't care about the environment.

I'm in my last year of philosophy and econ undergrad. What's your thesis on?

I work as an Electrical Technician. I fix stuff, and explain to the engineer that the Send plug goes into the Receiving port, not the other send port.

I mostly either work on semiconductor labs/factories with deadly gases, or fixing shit at home under-the-table and charging $300 for a $20 job since some shitty record player happens to hold "sentimental value" for some bitch in her 40s. They still pay it. Then I just pay a newbie in the field to find the part somewhere on a Chinese parts website and fix it since it's not worth my time and I'm still making $80 even after paying the newbie. The bitch wouldn't ask the newbie to fix it in the first place since she thinks "he doesn't have the experience," so I don't really feel guilty about it.

I'm considering going back to school for Agricultural Science with a minor in the Russian and Japanese languages- might do Korean instead for pragmatic reasons.

in my current field, virtually everyone is either a Trumpeter or a Libertarian to some degree depending on if they're union or freelance. We get the occasional Bernie-style Democrat, but they change real quick when they see how much they have to pay in taxes after a good year at the semiconductor facility.

If I did strictly under-the-table stuff, I'd be bringing home 30k/year. Since I work with semiconductors, I've had my paycheck fluctuate everywhere from 55k/year to 120k/year.

Electrical Technician work only requires certifications, and the semiconductor work only requires an associates degree.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between and associates and a bachelors in Zoology?

We only have an associates degree for it in a Tri-state area through the local community college, and most of the knowledge is on animal training, animal husbandry for various species, zoo exhibit design/what plants should and should not be placed in exhibits, and some basic veterinary knowledge. Plus a guaranteed year-long internship working at one of the zoos in the state.

Then again, our zoology program is funded by pretty much the only private zoo in the state.

Political economy, which in my head would be the dominant major here but I almost never see. I also have a philosophy and broader poli sci "minor" with some anthropology facets thrown in.

With the exception of one professor my explicit leftism is mostly dismissed as "biased ultra radicalism" but only on a discussion basis, my grades are sterling because (as one might assume) the shit I espouse and cite is completely empirical and actually impossible to argue with on anything other than an ideological grounding, which is half comforting half infuriating.

History, philosophy, foreign language.

I'm doing my masters in Computer Engineering. Most people seem to be apolitical or maybe liberal.

Tradeschool, MBO 4 Master Electrician, just a level lower than Bachelor and the highest level for tradeschool. Doing apprenticeship so do school and work at the same time.

Lawfag reporting in

I'm wrapping up my AA degree at a community college this Summer, and then I'll be transferring to a university to get a BS in Computer Science.

In my Calc and Phy courses, all of my classmates were really excited about Bernie Sanders. They all seemed pretty accepting of the idea that automation was going to lead to FALC within 100 years. I don't think there was a single Clintoncuck or Trumpenprole in my classes. Most of my classmates told me they were just going to stay in or vote Green if Bernie didn't get the nomination. Even our Phy professor was campaigning for Bernie for a while, and told me he was going to vote Green in the general.

Overall, pretty great political consciousness in the more advanced courses at my community college. I think people in the less advanced courses just don't care about politics though.

Theoretical Physics, and Applied Mathematics.

I'm deciding whether to do law school. Is there any hope for a career that's righteous for a leftist? Immigration law, labor, idk?

I went to a trade school. Worked as a welder/piledriver for a few years. Work eventually dried up for a while so I got out of it and now work in government contracting. Thinking about going back to school but I'm worried it's too late to start over.

since high school I've done work for the Greens, so after i finished a masters in philosophy i found a nice comfy job in Scott Ludlam's office. If you do a degree in philosophy just know that all it does is sound nice on paper, and the only reason you should continue is if you actually enjoy doing it, cos it means shit all in terms of job prospects

We have the technology for FALC right now. Do you really want to wait 100 more years for the revolution?

I don't even know to do at this point. My grades are too bad to get back into a four year school and I don't even know what I would take. The one saving grace is I don't have hardly any debt because I'm not a retard and went to a state school. I suppose I could to a trade school but I don't know where to start.

Just finished my first year of a 2yr associates. Automated Manufacturing Systems Technician, so I do mainly industrial maintenance with a specialization in hard (fixed) and soft (robotics) automation. Feels good.

So you are constantly kidna working with PLC's and the sensors or also the machine itself. (mechanical parts)?

Physics master race pretty much fam. Thinking of going into particle physics, or maybe something with magnets.

Double major master race in Philosophy and Literature reporting in

I hope you realize that basically every degree is equally "useless" unless it's an engineering degree.

Capitalism doesn't give a fuck about anything that isn't profitable, and the majority of shit you can study isn't profitable because - gasp - you're supposed to actually learn things in university. And capitalism is antithetical to any kind of higher aim than profit, which in-itself can mean (does mean, the overwhelming majority of the time) to produce something that is absolutely useless simply because someone can be to buy it.

Or, at least, that was until capitalism infested the university when the BA became the new standard and things became less about learning and more about "practical usefulness". But really the only value a BA has on the job market is that it's proof you're not completely incompetent.

This, degree's are an mark of evidence that you are able to be introduced into a job where they need your knowledge and skillset to be the most usefull for profit generation.

The boss doesnt know jack shit about the details of the certain things that need to be done about the work that the workers do. For example the boss where i work at doesnt know jack shit about actual electric stuff/wiring/pipelines/solar panels but knows that if people will pay the company to have certain shit done then the boss looks for a worker that is supposed to know how to make that shit. And the degree is the evidence that you are the possible guy that he can use to make a profit of that project.

It's never too late to start over when you live in a Capitalist society! :^)

No but seriously bro, it's never too late to start over. I was originally going to be a Mechanical Engineer and wasted two years of my life on that.

It's actually worth quite a bit if you plan to be an entrepreneur. One of my Philosophy master friends is actually in local-level politics trying to convince politicians to build an olympic-size skii-slope that would have the longest diagonal distance in the world since it would bring the city tons of business they currently want to build a football stadium there.

Contact your local union. They'll generally pay for your schooling in exchange for 5-7 years working for the Union.

School Bus Transportation will pay for your truckers license if you stay with them for at least 90-180 days.

Most CCs offer AAS degrees. And AAS is pretty much the best associates you can get since it comes woth trade skill certifications.

Your pic related. (Theoretical) Computer Science. Also a language/culture minor for fun europoor free education :^) I'm just finishing my master's degree, any phd topic suggestions from a fellow computer scientist?

We had it as an additional certification at my school.

You pretty much work with motors and CAD.

Philosophy students actually have pretty high employment rates and starting salaries, stop this meme.

Yes, exactly that. LOTS of PLC programming, moving on to PACs and gaining three levels of FANUC certification as part of the program. Plus welding and machining/fabrication experience.

AutoCAD 2D as well as SolidWorks, etc. Did some motor controls, working on integration next semester.

If anyone wants a 2yr degree with relevance for the future, this is a good start. Taking a full-time paid internship this Summer starting at $15/hr

Barely. It will take at least 50 years for the tech to really pick up steam and adoption.

Our "capstone" project is to design a fully automated cell to produce some good, or perform a specific operation. So there's a lot of working with both machines and computers. Tons of sensors and raw data, and project management. Almost like engineering-lite

Are you Dutch? We have MBO here too.

Ja Ja kanker Patat!

What coding logic?
I use ladder logic.

Have a bachelor's degree in general psychology. Doing another bachelor's degree in socology now. Will end up in some kind of state, county, or municipal administration. Academic life was not for me. It's too late to start over and become a chef, or try out the other things I want. I don't have the means anyway, and market is limited.

Going for master's degree in Applied Physics. Still feel like I have no job prospects unless I can convince people I can program better than the 50% of comp-sci BSs that can't write a for loop or reverse a string pf the top of their head in an interview.

What's you thesis?

Noice. I've been delving into PLs and Type Theory lately and I intend to do my thesis based on that. If you're into Computer Theory, then I guess you're going to like the foundations of Type Theory. I recommend you to look for "Types and Programming Languages" from Benjamin Pierce, if you get interested. If you wanna get even more abstract than that, you could try studying non-classical logic systems – fuzzy logic, modal logic, etc..

What's your current thesis?

What does a philosophy graduate work on?

A whole bunch of different things, employers are keen on them not because of the specific content of the undergraduate course but because of the usually high capacity for critical thinking and reasoning, among other things.

Mathematics and Computer Science, keeping it real with what the OG Dijkstra would have wanted.

Leuk. Kom eens op de bunkerchan IRC.

Patat is het inderdaad.

Ik heb geen idee hoe dat werkt en ik zit hier al teringlang, Zelfs op bunkerchan, in de post left shitpost brigade

The biggest dilemma for me is whether I go back for something practical or something I'm passionate about. Fuck capitalism.