Asteroid Mining

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I wanted to ask about the current laws regarding asteroid mining. I read that once you dig something up it's yours, but if your digging and it's still in the asteroid, some chump could come by and take it and it'd be totally legal; what other laws exist regarding asteroid mining, and do we have the technology to process the materials in space? I'm an engineering major, and I can't see the processing methods we use on Earth working right in space.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JGcvxg7jJTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is actually the right place for this kind of discussion, but you should install gentoo nevertheless. Also, watch/read the Martian.

Good to hear this is the right place.
Great movie; own it myself. Don't know if it has much to do with asteroid mining.
Sorry, I don't lurk Holla Forums; would you explain/summarize?

Much.

>>>/sci/ has a long thread about this, go read it.

Don't worry, now that I've linked from here you still potentially get exposed to those 284 unique IPs.

Bring some weapons

I'd watch that anime

Planetary geologist here, there is a lot of proto asteroid mining private companys researching things for future undertake. But theres no law sistem for it, as space is no mans sky, and countries can say fuckoff to each other about spacelaws.

The thing i belive will happen, big companys will create a council to establish rules, therefore wil control the market, as governaments going to have a hard time "democratizing" space, they will do the same they do with every other big powerfull market, tax it, asure worsafe and try favor theyr companys over other countries companys and shit we all know. There will be of course some kind of space council in UN to overlook some points and force minor countries to accept big countries sovereignty.

I say that beucause the fact companys will have theyr HQ in planet earth for a long time to come.

What are we going to recover from Asteroids that we couldn't recover more easily from Earth?

Unless there's a million-ton chunk of neodymium whizzing around out there, I don't see the point.

The big advantage to asteroid mining is that instead of the unreliable prospecting necessary to find sparse and often subpar deposits on Earth, we can use telescopes to accurately (in theory, based on the few previous asteroid interceptions so far) spectroscopically locate desirable asteroids very cheaply from among the many millions of large asteroids.

If our surveys are accurate, we've already found a number of asteroids with trillions of dollars each in highly pure rare earths and precious metals locked within.

Uneducated Dipshit here.

From what I understand it would only be worth processing materials for use on-site. Transporting any amount of materials around the solar system is simply not economical. Something major would have to change to make any off-world mining viable.

That said, learning how to alter NEO orbits would be useful and arguably a critically necessary skill. If we ever do begin mining asteroids though, expect all precious metals to become very cheap and plentiful. Something like Elysium could be constructed without exhausting the Earth's aluminium supply. All of this seems quite a ways off though.

Hasn't anyone here heard of the EM Drive that has just been confirmed as working and able to get us to Mars in about 70 days?

If fuel were manufactured in space from cometary ice, the massive propulsion costs from Earth's gravity well could be eliminated.

Sauce, I've seen much smoke, and little flame, on that topic so far. Reminds me very much of quantum teleportation, insofar as it's simultaneously plausible from experiments and almost impossible from theory.

NASA released their peer reviewed paper about the EM drive earlier this week. It basically says "Evidence suggests that it does produce thrust, but we don't know why"

I thought of that while writing this. I'm assuming you and me both watched the SciShow Space video about it...

Even if that drive was totally functional and ready to be used, we'd still have to thrust out of Earth's gravity well. Only about 12% of our chemical rockets leaving Earth are cargo.

Maybe. I see near future solar system travel as being analogous to early steam powered blue water ships. Obviously small probes can get away with "sailing" but large cargo ships would need to stop at fuel points.

Until it's tested in isolated vacuum conditions (preferably by an actual satellite in actual space) and verified by independent researchers, I'm going to remain very skeptical. A lot of the researchers involved have been involved in similar projects where filing patents was a higher priority than figuring out the physics or building test apparatuses that could be duplicated by independent researchers.

EmDrive is still within the margin of error of measurement in regards to thrust.
It would be an over unity device if it worked, you can't break thermodynamics.
It uses standard reflections of particles, you could just heat up a sealed cylinder and see if the air bouncing around would produce thrust(it doesn't).

ION Drives are still a thing brah and even then Musk has stated that the chemical rockets he is building will get to Mars in 80 days.

See video:
youtube.com/watch?v=JGcvxg7jJTs

No. And no.

Daily reminder that the earth is a flat plane and you are all posting in a NASA hoax thread

Please, tell me why this is the case. I'd love to hear your explanation as to why the earth is flat.

don't give the autist attention please

Pah, you're just trying to keep us from flying high enough to discover the entrance to the inner world!

How retarded do you have to be?

All jokes aside, the earth is hollow and we live inside of it. The ancients have encoded this knowledge everywhere. Here you can see an ancient depiction of the hollow earth and its concave horizon.

The upper atmosphere was probably just so thick, its high refractive index created an optical illusion which made it appear the earth was inside-out, with an illusionary of point steady, soft light fixed in the center of the "sky", like Titan from James Hogan's stories.

I would assume that the asteroid belongs to whoever hauls it into or near earth's orbit. You'd need at least some construction on the rock for the mining to take place so it's pretty clear to whom it belongs.

Now, the economical implications of asteroid mining are another problem. Just one of them could easily crash the market for certainmetals. Like, you can easily fill our need for nickel-iron for centuries with one.

The kikes will make laws as soon as anyone gets serious about it. Kikes gotta tax everything.

Ye, the whole conniption over the whole effect is retarded, even if it was breaking the three laws you would get more thrust from the light reflecting off of it then its own power. The worst part about it is that some NASA bloke decided to test it with their spacetime lab for shits and giggles and actually detected an appreciable amount of spacetime-bending produced by it, but everyone ignored it cause muh non-Newtonian thrust