ITT: So what's the deal with home directories?

I've always hated the idea of home directories so much. (yeah it's a blogpost deal with it)

Back when I got introduced to computers with winshit 95 it was just my documents, and I never liked that shit. Due to incessant MS fuckery and my own noob ways the OS would often break and need a reinstall, often a reformat. There would always be the panic over oh shit what happens to my files. Back then it was the fashion to make a D: partition for your own shit so it wouldn't get fucked no matter what happens to C: which is where OS and all the stuff you installed lived.

Later windows started stealing more from unix and added the user libraries. I never used that shit, always left the the default sample files in there and never even touched it like some weird superstition. Not even open them, except as a last resort if I knew I saved a file and looked everywhere else and I knew it must have been sent there by the OS. I have my own system of files that I keep very tidy and well organized under a single top folder on its own partition, so I never use that home directory shit and don't trust it: If windows knows about it, it will try to fuck with it. If it fucks with it, it might fuck it up and eat my data. If I put it in some random place that the MS "engineers" have no way of knowing, the only way it gets fucked is if the OS fucks everything indiscriminately or starts actively snooping for it, which is pretty brazen so even MS don't do it that often. Backup is a breeze because it's just copying one folder and all you really lose is the permissions but permissions are shit on windows anyway (and what kind of peasant has to suffer sharing their pc with other people) so this way it's just an easier path to type.

On Linux things are saner and I know I'm "supposed" to have my shit under ~/, but I just can't. First, like I said, I know everyone knows about it and they'll keep trying to fuck with it, and I don't trust every single crapware dev out there to not fuck it up. Second, just imagining the backup gives me a headache.

Like I said, all the devs know about ~ so they put their configs and other shit there. My ~ is always littered with .dirs from a million things. I suppose the idea is, "if you ever need to reinstall your OS, you just copy over your home dir from backup and all your settings are magically restored!" Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Since I don't reinstall every week, I would have changed versions. I might have changed habits. I might have changed preferred programs. There could have been config files that got corrupt over time due to tarded devs. Configs from software I uninstalled, which are best forgotten, but weren't cleaned up properly. Why would I want to bring in all this crap to a fresh install? I've always looked at OS installs as a ritual of letting go of the past and starting over fresh. So if I actually kept my shit in ~, I'd have to go through this pointless exercise of sifting through all that shit that clueless devs thought was worth preserving, that in reality I don't give a shit about. Much easier for me to just copy my own dir and ~ can > /dev/null

Do any of you actually use your OS's home directory for your personal shit that matters? What's it like?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4lb0QjJ6tEY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

but, on the plus side, if you know which files are important in ~/ then you can copy over just those to a new distro

Instead of copying your home directory just copy all the (non-hidden) content of your home directory, either by just drag-selecting it or with "cp -r *".

Copying configuration is still desirable if you're switching from one system to another with no significant time inbetween and without reusing the old instance of the directory. You won't have changed habits and software breakage is surprisingly minimal.

Destroying user files is just about the worst kind of bug a user program can have, and it's very rare. Especially since toolkits tend to have functions that direct crapware towards ~/.local/share/$program or some similar place where it would be very hard to do harm. All the instances of destroying home directories that I know of actually destroyed all data on the system recursively, so that would get your files even if you put them in a non-standard location.

Like most Loonix users I just put everything in my home directory. It works fine.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. I come from the old Mac world which didn't just lack user folders, it lacked dedicated software paths, and even OS partitions!

That's right, on classic Macs, the entire OS fit inside one folder, and you could have multiple OSs anywhere in a single partition (the one currently chosen to boot from was "blessed"). Want to transfer your OS to another partition or computer? Drag and drop, done. Want to maintain multiple OSs? Copy your System Folder, modify its contents, switch as desired when rebooting. It even worked with multiple accounts, through software like Easy Access.

Want to install software? Drag and drop to any folder, partition, or even another computer over the network. Plus, unlike OS X, software silently installing OS extensions or hierarchies of invisible files on first run was unheard of. User settings were stored in one folder, Preferences, inside the System Folder, and almost never in the application's own folder.

And actual user documents, even things like save files from games or templates from word processors? Put them anywhere you want, name them whatever you like, since each file has a redundant hierarchy of actual metadata including unique IDs, instead of relying purely on hardcoded pathnames.

Of course, all this started going down the drain during the late-System 7.5-era, when increasing amounts of undisciplined Windows ports, combined with accommodationist "features" from Apple like dedicated user and application folders, plus core parts of the OS being dumped from the System file into the Extensions folder normally reserved for 3rd-party use.

The entire paradigm which typifies every other OS, that of installing software in "default locations", "migrating" settings and enhancements from one "OS install" to another, opaque hierarchies of invisible files and folders full of arcane settings, and running everything from some sort of autopolulated launcher in concert with a "filebrowser" that feels more like a web browser than a proper file manager…

All of it was once alien to me, and remains so even as I am forced to walk the wastelands today.

How bout I don't.
Reported.

What's the worst that could happen, they put a non hidden folder in your home directory contributing to clutter? In one case Darktable put two in my picture folder by accident after an update, one with a capitalized first letter and the other all lower case. In years of constant fuckups on my part while trying out hundreds of programs or system components that's the only thing of note that I remember happening.

Right now I just copy /myshit/, and that path is its own partition and physical drive.

That sounds like a good idea, actually. Wouldn't that skip any hidden files inside my own data though?

So how good is Linux software at dealing with changes to the configs? I know that if you add or remove a new configuration to your program, the correct way is to not neglect adding conversion of obsolete config files. On Windows I'd say maybe a fifth of devs follow this. How is it with Linux? I think pacman will check the two default configs, and then if the new default and your own settings conflict tell you to merge it yourself. But that sounds a bit annoying, I'd hate to have to do it very often.

I'm sure. It's more the anxiety, not just about data loss but also some stupid dev accidentally putting junk in my shit, although hard to see how that would happen. I guess having a reliable backup system in place is the real solution to that anxiety.

I guess malware (though also rare) would try the home folder first, so it's a security through obscurity thing as well, but then again any serious malware wouldn't just assume I'm using ~ and leave it at that.

I really like the idea Sandboxie has - it lets the program delude itself into thinking it installed into whatever path, but actually puts it all under /Sandboxes/MySandbox/C/whatever. All the OS stuff referenced by the program, that's not in this mirrored tree, gets forwarded to the host OS, but whenever the program wants to create a file under the root FS, it just gets nested into the Sandbox FS.

What I'd like to see is my OS putting its own system files in one place, the files generated by the program's setup process in a second place (eg. a game's data files), and files generated by the program as a result of user action in a third place (eg. save games and non-default configuration). Plus a fourth place for files directly generated by the user, as opposed to a side effect of a program. I can then decide how I want to deal with each class (such as different backup schemes for each).

I think GoboLinux's tool could probably do something like this.

1v1 me m8

I really hate it when shit ends up in my shit without my knowledge. Like when you give your thumb drive to a macfag it always comes back with .DS_store and other crap in it, I fucking hate that shit. Of course the .DS_store is just a few top level things, not hard to delete, and I treat my flash memory as expendable DMZ so I never keep anything on it permanently.

But if something like that happened in my permanent data storage dir, my OCD would flip so hard. I lose sleep over this shit.

tl;dr
reported for extreme faggotry

All those freedesktop shits get deleted from my $HOME with extreme predjudice.

Out of all the greatness that is Linux, home directories are for fucking faggots. You get your general mix. The "why bother"fags, the "nothing to fear nothing to hide"fags. But then you get the biggest niggers of them all, the "it's the way it was designed live with it"fags.

Home directories are cancer if for the solemn reason that they breed cancerous communities around them.

The actual solution to this problem is to take your OCD and paranoia meds.

>>>/facebook/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/suicide/

No. If you copy a non-hidden directory it copies all content of that directory, hidden or not.

I've had maybe one program complain about the wrong format, even when switching from Debian Sid to Stable or something like that. But I've changed my mind - the safest option is just to keep your old config around and copy it over manually when you want to for a particular program.

If you don't trust a program you can run it in firejail to stop it from accessing things you don't want it to.

He's probably referring to the "memes.com" watermark

I don't throw around the word "autism" like an insult, as so many others do. But dude, I'm asking seriously: Are you autistic?

you are all niggers that should be using rsync

especially OP

how do you even program with your shit outside of ~/? last I checked you couldn't run binaries from /media/ or /mount/

Literally only if you use FAT.

jesus, how pleb can a person be?

It's like you stick as many untrusted dongles in your computer as toys your mother has.

No more than you I'm sure. The fact you even have to ask kind of validates my point, don't you think?

Seriously dude, I have no idea what you're babbling about. You are not making any sense.

when are we putting the proprietary platform subhumans into labor camps?

You have serious mental issues. Get some help.

As if I haven't tried.

Well, clearly you weren't a genuine poster. Just letting you know you're a huge faggot who loves cock in their mouth.

What a shitty post. The ~ folder is a single folder. You back up /home/yournamehere you gormless retard

What's the problem with Freedesktop? Configuration goes into ~/.config/shitware/, data into ~/.local/share/shitware/, and random shit into ~/.cache/. Having just three directories for the different tasks is much better than having every program create a ~/.shitware/ directory of its own.

I meant random shit into ~/.cache/shitware/

I don't know if this thread is humor or bait or serious. What the fux tech? I've never felt so alien to the human race.

It's like when those damn kids start playing on my lawn again.

My problem is not that the home/document folder is used, it's that every program and their developer try a different standard for their program when there's already folders they could have used if they just had some decent programs installed.

Some time 10 years ago, some game developer started using a folder called My Games in the documents folder. I believe it was Microsoft with Halo or something similar. Today many game devs put their savegame in that folder but not everyone.

I've migrated my Users folder for 4 years and prior to that, I migrated files for 6 years. I wish the "date created" was not lying since every copy of a file resets the time stamp, but first pic related is the oldest file I still have that is not Tor Browser's troll files from 2000-01-01. I've migrated files from Windows XP all the way up to 10 (skipping Vista and 8).

Now here's a trick for Winfag users. Right click any folder in the %USERPROFILE% folder and you can change it's location, like second pic related.

When I installed Debian first time in my life 3 years ago, I was surprised that the installer actually let you split all your root folders into different ext partitions. So now it's standard for me to have /home on it's own partition so that if I get a kernel error, I can at least backup my files.

On Winblows I have all my essential files on D:\ so any reformat of my computer makes me loose some installed programs and their configurations. Very often prior to reformatting, I also save the AppData folder. I still have savegame files and config files for programs I don't even have installed.

I hate that. A savegame is not a document, it does not belong in the Documents folder. I use Wine to play and that thing drives me up the wall. But they don't just put savegames there, often it's all he config and profile files as well.

It's either that folder or AppData, alternatively: in the game folder. But because UAC doesn't like file operations inside the program folder, most developers moved savegames to the documents folder.
If you are clinically retarded, you do as the Jagged Alliance developers and put the savegames in:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Jagged Alliance - Back in Action
Great way to loose your savegames when you migrate.

If I have one more game, WINE or native, that dumps its savegame in an unhidden folder at ~, I will hunt the developers down. It's hard enough to keep that place tidy. I guess I could tweak something in WINE to stop Windows-native games from doing that at least.

It's really easy for Unix stuff. Set the env var right before running program.
HOME=/whatever program
I do that with firefox, so it dumps all its crap in /tmp. It's only there in case I can't get in with other browser. I don't really want to use it, or keep its files.

Dude you're crazy paranoid, just put the home directory on another partition so you can reinstall without affecting it and get a life

I wish there was some kind of wiki for name and shaming bad dev practices of various vidya.

Fuck you

PC Gaming Wiki covers a lot of it, also an absolutely vital resource for kludging older games into running on modern systems.

Use a proper file sync tool to make backups and this won't happen. The first time I ever reinstalled windows on my first PC I did the classic copypasta and now all of my oldest files have the same creation date from that time. Stuff like office docs have their own metadata including dates, so I was able to at least extract those to bring some of the proper timestamps back up.

Google is failing me. What does the $? variable represent?

I know $_ is the argument of the last command you typed in Bash. I see that you're using ksh though, so I'm at a loss.

What you call "bad dev practice" is highly subjective. What is bad for you is irrelevant to most people.

Exit code of the last command.

Thank you.

Is there a search engine that works with stuff like that? Startpaging and even duckduckgoing $* is impossible.

It's like you don't even want to name (((them)))

I agree pretty much entirely OP. The standard for a respectful software installer should be giving the user an option for where its settings are going to be stored upon install.

fam, please
youtube.com/watch?v=4lb0QjJ6tEY