New MST3K revival photo

New MST3K revival photo.

Looks like a shitty hipster version of Red Dwarf.

I tried to watch the originals, but they sucked. Its 1000x more funny to see any random anons comment on bad films on those chat streams than it is to watch that crap.

The original didn't had any competition and the novelty of the idea was fun, but literally anyone is better than the original.

There's a sad irony in this man's wife being on a horribly dangerous cocktail of artificial poisons, with his knowledge and consent, and him ranting on Twitter about how evil Trump is and how all white americans are Nazis that hate women. Perhaps if he paid more attention to the women in his own life, gave her the masculine love and care that she needed, she wouldn't need 50 drugs just to cope with life. Unfortunately Patton "The Fat Widower" Oswalt would rather spend his time ranting about how terrible conservatives are, stuffing his face with McDonalds, and making mediocre circle-jerky comedy.

I give it 5 years tops until this man is discovered in his 5 billion dollar coastal apartment, pants down, hand on his tiny flaccid cock, twitter open on his $50000 macbook, and a needle in his arm. Dead. His last remarks will be ranting about some "rural bigoted hicks" 1000 miles from him refusing to adapt to the future, totally ignorant of the fact that he's immersed himself in a virtual world of hate instead of paying attention to the decadence of the reality behind him.

Perhaps this man is so eager to live through this virtual, cosmopolitan world based entirely on manmade theory, because living in the real world would require him to realize that his physical deformity matches his spiritual deformity.

Boy Rimmer got fat.

Filmnight again when? I miss that Slav who could predict every movie we watched. He knew every cliche and could tell us what would happen having never seen a film but only after 10 minutes of watching

Patton is the Nega-Rich Evans. As Rich Evans is the avatar of Bacchus in human form Patton is the death of partys, the death of joy and love and women and he will never be the birthday boy.

You all know what i mean by this.

I went to the Rifftrax Live reunion thing. It really said it all when the new showrunner tried to riff and he was either unfunny, or unfunny and political. Also the faggot wore a suit jacket over a t-shirt and sweatpants. I mean really?

I'm sad my dad contributed to this without telling me as I would have warned him ahead of time.

VOMIT

Triggered normie detected!

Day is going to ruin the host segments, she'll like she'll make Pearl look like Trace. If the riffing is solid I'll be happy.

Underageb&

He looks like that fat lesbian with the glasses (I don't know her name but it's the one with the shitty "fuck trump" clothes).

Somebody should tweet this at him every day until it comes true.

FUCKING WHY

Back in the day I would rent old MST3k VHS tapes from this weird video store that had them. They were such a new thing I'd never see before and some of the funniest shit I'd ever seen. No idea if they still hold up though. I don't even wanna revisit it for fear I won't like it.

It's hard to tell what the dynamic is going to be with these two. Is Oswalt going to be her TV's Frank as she smugly and smartly goofs around in an adorable way that shows her superiority to white males, or will she be Oswalt's helper, smugly and smartly poking fun at him for his wacky evil white male schemes?

Apparently he's playing "son of TV's Frank". Terrible

Looking very Eraserhead there Patton. I bet he hears the screams of his unborn son from his very dead wife that visits him everytime he sleeps.

oh boy, will we have more of such fine gems as these?

I'm betting 3+ digs at white men people every episode

… I can't tell if that's Mike. I hope that's not Mike.

When I first saw that picture, I mistook Patton for a bull-dyke.

What made MST3K funny was mostly the movies themselves. The comments the guys would make would just make it easier to keep watching and notice the funny things happening in the movies.

Best of the Worst from RLM seems to do the same thing yet better since they just try showing specific parts that are funny rather than have you sit through the entire things.

There is no excuse for this.

Also, why are they dressed as Nazis?

Patton sleeps like a baby.

Just like all psychopaths.

….

>>>/reddit/

underage >>>/suicide/

You have to be more specfic there are tons of landwhales that hate trump.

Mike > Joel. Joel was always a hipster.

I'm 30, but not from burguerstan, so we didn't had those tapes here.

Part of being a non-casual MST3K fan is sitting through an episode like Castle of Fu Manchu or First Starship on Venus & enjoying it. Any pleb can handle Werewolf or Space Mutiny.

… And?

You know in past interviews I remember Mike and the crew say they tried to avoid getting too topical with their humor on MST3K. This is exactly why. You look like an unfunny jackoff when you get it wrong and can't take it back.

i dont have sound, but let me guess…it's something political that triggers white wimpos.

Yep. They (mostly) avoided politics and happenings intentionally. However, any person or event that crossed-over into 'cultural zeitgeist' territory could get a reference. It's fantastically resilient comedy, for being a pop culture product. It's also blatantly nerdy, so you sort-of go in expecting to not get some of the jokes. Thus, if a riff references Janet Reno and i'm a millennial who doesn't know who the fuck that is, I can dismiss it. History or politics fags will get it.

I don't think the danger with the relaunch is in them being too topical. All things being equal, a pop culture show making pop culture references aimed at nerds is easier now than ever (MST3K and Star Trek: TNG are two show's from the 90's that should never have gone off the air tbh - they would only have gotten better). I think the risk is that the people involved - as enthusiastic as they may be - no longer (or never did) get the very rye, midwestern working-class protestant sense of humor that made the show work.

The risk is that the hiring decisions will result in a very coastal, cosmopolitan, jewish comedic sensibility (i.e. socially-conscious, subversive, in-group / out-grouping) and to prioritize consensus-maintenance with the audience that they imagine they are performing for, rather than the audience they actually have and that the show originally appealed to. Given the current cultural/political climate and the names attached to the project so far, a very Jewish show is all but inevitable. Jews are funny, but MST3K always was a different kind of funny.

With MST3K and Star Trek coming back to (streaming) TV and almost certain to both be politically-charged failures, it's going to be a fun time to watch pop culture nostalgia collapse in on itself.

why are they dressed like the Bogdanovs?

hotter than Jovovich

She looks like a fucking horse. Still.

Horses are majestic animals, don't diss on horses.

this

Why are you insulting Rich Evans? Evans is a decent human being with a soul.

Patton is not. If a working class American had a heart attack in front of Patton, Patton would take a picture, tweet it, then brag to all his rich and famous Hollywood "friends" about watching a poor racist white man die.

Lazy attempt at nostalgia signaling, christ.
Don't tell me one of the robots now identifies as transsexual or something

Continued. I just realized that you consider "Baccus" to be a compliment and think that Rich is a wild party guy. Rich is a teetotaler. Mike is the drunk that Rich has to drive home.

WhatDidTheyMeanByThis.png

Heh, she kinda looks like the stripper that dryhumped me last night.

So why the fuck did we stop doing those? I go afk for several months and then it's like things got worse.

storytime, user

Tom Servo is voiced by a black man if that counts

What happened to Kevin Murphy?

PATTON OSWALT KILLED HIS WIFE

The reddit is getting overwhelming here.

This. What makes the original hold up so well is that they had such a wide variety of jokes tossed out at a rapid pace, that if you didn't get a joke, you wouldn't have to wait too long before there would be one for you. Within the span of a couple minutes there would be jokes about musicals, sports, technology, a fart joke, and silly puppets for the kids to laugh at. The show made a lot of obscure and intelligent jokes, but it was never pretentious about it. You never really felt stupid if you didn't get a joke. It also seemed to have a lot of contempt for Hollywood, especially after they were screwed around with so much with the MST3K movie.

I'd wager this new show will have the same problem I've been noticing Rifftrax falling into. The jokes are too focused on "nerd culture" with too much of a reliance on internet humor and video game references. It feels like the main three aren't even writing most of the jokes anymore. That said, I'm interested in seeing what movies they watch. Will they find some hidden b-movie gems or will they just raid the same ones that Best of the Worst made popular?

I started doing this today. I'll keep until I get a response (or until Twitter bans this burner account, which seems more probable)

There's not much to tell but since this thread is going to shit with politics…
In front of me

Did I do good for a collective $15?

you best hope she doesn't have hepatitis or something

He's on team Rifftrax with Mike and Bill

Remember when Joel tried to do something that wasn't making just fun of old movies? Me either

It is pretty crazy the line up of future popular stand ups he had on this though. Strangely I don't think I've ever heard any of them mention doing this. Completely memory holed, for obvious reasons.

Kevin Murphy wrote a book about going to the movies every day for a year. It was pretty funny in parts. He goes and sees Corky Romano with Mike Nelson and describes the droves of people filing out of the theater.

Watching Rifftrax can show you just how difficult it is to make fun of a movie that is just 'alright'. Most of the humor with joking about any movie is from talking about bad aspects or in other words the humor is entirely from the movie. The people joking about it hardly matter that much.

These days it's fairly difficult to find genuinely bad movies. You'd have to go outside the US more often than not to find one that is genuinely bad and I suspect the people doing MST3K's reboot will not want to do that since it'd be more work to look into movies from other countries.

I think it's a problem that most of the cheaper b movies, like Piranhas 3D, realize they're cheesy and try to be goofy fun. It was a bad movie, but still it was really enjoyable since it didn't take itself seriously which I think is necessary for a good B-movie watching experience where you make fun of the movie.

You can find some shitty movies like Soul Plane or King's Ransom, but those are black movies so I can't see the NuMST3K group wanting to risk being seen as racist for making fun of unapologetically black movies.

So what movies are left for them to joke about? Are they going to try and go back to movies made by Roger Corman back in the 50's or 60's? Because it seems like most foreign movies are off the table, most jokes are off the table because of how liberal they are now, and so on.

There are so many problems with this that it's maddening.

They can't even get a single stand up comic that's worth a damn to associate with this.

I would watch Norm Macdonald do riffing with his Holocaust denial puppet.

Star Wars 7
Capeshit
etc.

Well yes, that was some zombie-tier shit, but I've taken 2 vaccines for Hepatitis so I should be fine. Dem herpies on the other hand…

I think he means shit that is actually unwatchable like Creeping Terror or Manos, which is not competently made.

As 'bad' as capeshit is, it has a bare minimum of competency. Movies on MST3K typically lacked that.

Exactly.

Things like Star Wars 7 may not be great movies, but they meet the bare minimum of what you need for a decent movie unlike things like The Undead which had laughably bad effects throughout and horribly cheesy acting.

We don't have a continuous stream of cheap movies being funneled into theaters purely to act as padding, which was the case with double features in the past. At that time, you'd have to main film that would be shown which would be a fairly nice quality, but they'd tack on something cheesy like a Roger Corman movie as the "B movie" which had really low budgets and acting all over the place. An equivalent today probably be something like some TV movies. Riffing on something like that cyberbullying movie from the Lifetime channel would probably work out pretty well, but I think it's unlikely that's the kind of movie on the new crew's radar.

But I gotta say, if anyone thinks things like Star Wars 7 or the cape movies are bottom of the barrel, then they haven't seen many movies from just the past decade because cape movies are fucking in comparison to movies like Saint John of Las Vegas.

I suppose my core issue is just that none of these people with MST3K revival know that much about movies to be able to choose decent ones to joke about.

It reminds me of the problem that came up with the Simpsons. In the earlier seasons they were lampooning pop culture a huge deal, but what was pop culture at the time was still things like Clockwork Orange or One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. They still try lampooning pop culture in the later seasons, but what is now pop culture is so much worse that it means the parodies of that culture just come across as so much more hollow. So it wasn't really that the people writing for the Simpsons changed that much, but rather that the pop culture they referenced because so much worse.