What is a Holla Forums certified backup software?

I'm migrating distros and this time I don't want to make the mistake of not backing up hidden files. What is a /tech? certified backup application, preferably that can run on Debian, the OS I have now, and Fedora, the OS that I am migrating to.

Other urls found in this thread:

borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

rsync

use the sticky

dd

Use the sticky

tar

+1 for rsync, automated by a shell script.

fwbackups worked for me

how about your very own in house cloud storage using owncloud?

I use syncthing, it acts like dropbox.
For actual backups to a third party server I use tarsnap, spideroak also does client side encryption if tarsnap is too autistic for you.
rsync.net are also tip top.

dd

tarsnap

rdiff-backup

rsync, tar, cron job, home server.

do the backups over ssh if you really want to.

cp

This place really is dead.
I guess it's true, we'll always be overrun with newfaggots who don't give a shit.

The pinned htread was dead when I checked so that's why I made a new thread. Oh shit, you mean the responses to this thread.

pretty much every post in this thread that's bumping your garbage.
you could've just made a general backup discussion thread. instead you made a software recommendation thread for your use case, because you are a fucking fag.
choke on it and go back to /g/.

Someone already gave the right answer in an elegant 2 letter post. I can't improve on that.

block-level backups are wasteful because they're not deduplicated.
you're retarded if you actually do on-site or off-site backups that way.
but, there are ways to get around that.

dd if=/dev/sda bs=10M | borg create [email protected]/* */:/mnt/backup/borg::`hostname`-`date +%Y-%m-%d` -

It's also variable block size deduplicated.
i.e. it doesn't have to rewrite the whole block if it's different.

>find + cp +checksum
literally the only commands you will need to build a nice script yourself

What about my symlinks?

My special permissions?

>>>/g/

It's called "External Drive and separate /home directory, OP.

RAID 1 for automatic backups.
.rar (WinRAR) and .arc (FreeArc) for manual backups.

RAID isn't a backup, lol.

can you run it entirely in your own home and even make your own server?

lel

Is that same ARC as this:
gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/archive/walnut-creek-cd-simtel/CPM/STARTKIT/UNARC.DOC

rm -fr --no-preserve-root /

Syncthing? Yes. It handles all the router forwarding for you.

RAID1 could be used for backup, if you run a 1-disk system and only attach the other one when it's time to backup. You could even have multiple secondary disks that you rotate.

Anyone know of virtual tape library software for Windows which is pirateable? I need it for Veeam to backup a 24TB RAID to a set of USB HDDs which I can't have all mounted at the same time. All i've been able to find is Firestreamer, but I cant find a crack for it.

because all my USB controllers are passed through to a VM and it isnt practicable to pass them through to a Linux VM.

Dedup is generally the job of the storage sub-system.

If you need to use Windows why aren't you using wine?

Because Wine is a horribly broken piece of shit?

Have you at least tried the software you need with wine?

Like is their a trial version of the software you need?

I'm not going to try to play vidya with Wine. ffs it only supports directx 9, and even then it is going to be buggy as shit and i'll have Windows XP era graphics.

Do you want to use the virtual tape library software or not?

Im asking for an alternative to firestreamer or a crack if anyone knows of one, not telling me that I need to shut down my vidya VM when I want run a backup so I can run a VTL appliance.

connect via ssh (openssh) to the windows machine and run rsync/dd over the network.

Just used a shared folder to put the backup into and then use a linux alternative for a virtual tape library. What is so hard about this?

Why don't you compress whatever you need to backup?

I already said that all the USB controllers are passed through to a Windows VM.

Can't you move the USB controllers to your linux main and also move the files to the shared folder? So what that you have to shutdown your vm.

Its an ESXi host

Yeah and guess what, you need to write a new block-level backup file each time with your method.

Can't you install commands into the debug mode?

wut?

The USB controllers are passed through to a windows VM (along with GPUs) so I can play vidya and do anything else which needs a GPU, and in general use the virtualization host also as a desktop.

I mean, can't you go into a command line in the virtualization operating system?

what the fuck do you think you can do from the ESXi command line that would in anyways have anything to do with me getting VTL software for windows which isnt time limited

Somehow install the software you need for the tape to the command line and then also through a shared folder in windows 10 to host, have access.

what the fuck does this have to do with anything? have you bothered to read this thread at all?

I'm tired as fuck, I have no idea how to fix your problem. I'm just spewing bullshit at this point.

Anyways because you fags were useless I found that Starwind's Virtual SAN has a VTL feature. I got a NFR license and am trying to talk them in to adding the VTL feature to it.