Tox Thread

Why aren't you using Tox yet?

tox.chat/
Tox is a peer-to-peer instant messaging and video calling protocol that offers end-to-end encryption. Tox started out as a project on 4chan /g/ and is open source software released under the GPLv3. Tox is...

Encrypted

Distributed

Free

Join Club Cyberia on LainBot
415732B8A549B2A1F9A278B91C649B9E30F07330E8818246375D19E52F927C57F08A44E082F6

Join Tox Public Chat on Groupbot
56A1ADE4B65B86BCD51CC73E2CD4E542179F47959FE3E0E21B4B0ACDADE51855D34D34D37CB5
send it the message: invite 0

Install qTox - github.com/qTox/qTox

Optional: Tox over Tor - wiki.tox.chat/users/tox_over_tor_tot

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.tox.chat/users/tox_over_tor_tot
github.com/qTox/qTox/wiki/FAQ#why-is-qtox-killing-my-internet-connection
meet.jit.si/
github.com/zetok/tox
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFLAGS
github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/blob/master/INSTALL.md#compile-toxcore
lists.savoirfairelinux.net/pipermail/ring/2016-August/002654.html
torproject.org
github.com/JFreegman/ToxBot
transitiontech.ca/random/RIIR
github.com/TokTok
ia802607.us.archive.org/11/items/cremationdead00eassgoog/cremationdead00eassgoog.pdf
awesomestories.com/images/user/dd91098a03.jpg
lwn.net/Articles/651003/
github.com/zetok/Lee
gitlab.com/zetok/Lee
ring.cx/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(software)
github.com/cleverca22/toxvpn/
blog.tox.chat/2016/12/first-stable-release-of-toktok-toxcore/
github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/releases
blog.tox.chat/2016/08/update-new-client-xenial-packages-tox-in-google-play-toxcore-fork-and-more/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Can my Tox friends do netstat -p and see my IP address?

RTFM

>Optional: Tox over Tor - wiki.tox.chat/users/tox_over_tor_tot
going to guess yes

KYMN (Kill Yourself More, Nigger)

At least it supports Tor. Nice.

Not sure if it's Mint, or Tox, or my network setup honestly.

If that weren't bad enough, the latest qTox osx binary doesn't even open at all, and it's been that way for months.

Not only that, but on mobile, it kills battery life, and you can only send and receive messages when the app is directly open. I know that's just the nature of p2p, but still, I have to send a message to my friends to open tox just to start chatting.

I actually really like tox, but some of these issues need to be worked out before its ready for serious use. Right now, I would only use it for important and private conversations, not just regular chatting.

Could be because it makes shitload of connections and your router cannot handle these.
Try running Tox with Tor, or using VPN for it.

Isn't this actually a downside?

No, it means that ibs are actually capable of doing something productive.

What's the point if it's made in a completely unsafe language and will therefore be exploited countless times when more than 1.5 anons start actually using it?
They should write it in Rust or D.

It means the logo was carefully crafted.

this meme again

back to your safe space

It should be written in Java, or Chef or something.

github.com/qTox/qTox/wiki/FAQ#why-is-qtox-killing-my-internet-connection

I can't convince anyone to give up their discord or skype for a program with a quarter of the functionality

Because jitsi exists

meet.jit.si/

Ring.cx has group video conferencing and can make actual phonecalls over SIP.
tox a shit.

Thanks for the tip. Running it with Tor fixed it, but I just upgraded to 1.6.0, and now it works just fine, as long as IPV6 is disabled. It's particularly strange, because disabling IPV6 didn't make a difference before.

Reddit made Tox, what does 8ch or even 4chan have?

KYEMYELF (Kill Yourself Even More You Edgy Little Faggot)

Holla Forums is like 10 guys, not much you can do

I can't get it to install on Trisquel and compiling it myself is hard because of all of the dependencies and whatnot

Damn it, almost had it this time. This is during the second to last step, running "make".

Anyone here run into this issue when compiling and found the solution?

I haven't heard much about this. How does it compare to Tox?

I don't trust it. It is corporate and there is no community like Tox has. Has anyone here chatted directly with the ring devs? Because you certainly can with the people who make Tox.

You have to go back now.

Whatever you do, dont look it up in any way.

I did look it up, and it seems very similar to Tox. Still, I've never heard of it before, and it had a very corporate feel, so I was wondering it there was some inside info I was missing.

If it's a trustworthy piece of software that fills the Tox niche, I'm just surprised that nobody is really talking about it.

You fuck off edgy little shit. I've actually contributed code to tox clients, what the fuck have you done?

I don't think it can be that bad, although it does feel strongly like corporate software. (as somebody else has already mentioned)

The only reason it looks corporate is because it's based on SFLPhone, which was a corporate-compatible SIP client which was in development since 2009... It's like you guys don't even read the website

There's already a Rust implementation.
github.com/zetok/tox

You're compiling with -Werror.

What does `echo $CFLAGS` spit out?

Ring lacks a bunch of security features that Tox and other things have forced on by default. Like PFS. PFS is forced in Tox. Ring does not even try to do PFS. I installed it a week ago and the UI is very buggy. Microsoft gave the corporation that owns Ring a grant or something at some point so I have no reason to trust the devs.

A blank line

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFLAGS
I just read this to understand what CFLAGS is
Do you think I could possibly be missing this environment variable? I can't find it anywhere on my system.

Just because it uses GPL doesn't make it a GNU project. How new are you?

its just a prank bro calm down

The front page of ring.cx exclaims that it is a GNU project.

Because it's a peer-to-peer messaging program and I do not want to interact with my peers.

WHY
If the var is not defined the script will use a default value. How did you try to compile? autoreconf -if && ./configure && make?

Wow man you weren't kidding. Wonder why GNU would want to compete with Tox by making an almost exact copy instead of funding them directly?

4B6E073C0DDA9C0883D31C7A3CBAB1DA1A57B8CD02D51DEF8C7D094BF982E97C44541158B22D
Hey there, dudes.

The FSF do not think in terms of competition in free software. Their competition is the mindset that promotes proprietary software and disregards free software for technical limitations in the features of the software.

Savoir-faire Linux is the company that develops GNU Ring. They have committed Ring to the GNU umbrella while the Tox team did not.

There was no configuration file, I just followed the steps in
github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/blob/master/INSTALL.md#compile-toxcore

this was after installing the dependencies
sudo apt-get install build-essential libtool autotools-dev automake checkinstall check git yasm

I wasn't sure if /etc was the right place to look at, so I just checked everywhere. I just let that run for a few min in the background while I browsed the web.

I want to start a Tox group. How do?

Well, first you need some friends for that...

If you wanna spew words you probably don't understand, at least do it right. Five seconds of "ring.cx forward secrecy later":
lists.savoirfairelinux.net/pipermail/ring/2016-August/002654.html
Public key fingerprints are known beforehand : it's the Ring ID, but full certificate exchange and key negotiation happens during the TLS handshake.
TLS connection uses forward-secure ciphers to provide communication forward secrecy, typically ECDHE-RSA-AES-256-GCM.

I think offline messaging does not have PFS for obvious reasons. Tox doesn't even have offline messaging anyway.

top kek

It does not seem to be secure and I don't see a reason to use it.

Are you talking about the fact that it hasn't received a proper audit yet?

He doesnt know what he means. Sounds like hes just being a pedantic little penis.

agree

Why shoud I? It does the same things signal and whatsapp does eksept no one knows it even exists.

But that's wrong, faggot.

WhatsApp and Signal go down when they get raided.
Tox is fundamentally unraidable.
Tox is also fully free as only p2p software can be since there's no way to verify what's running on a server.

I've forced all my friends to use Tox if they want to contact me. They range from more technically inclined than me, to total normie grills.
Their complaints:

tox is shill
use tormessenger instead torproject.org

tox doesn't use Tor by default.
it has some botnet DHT like torrents
it has single ID so if you send your ID to few people they all can know it's same person
it shills away your IP to everybody unless you use Tor

Seriously, how many competing IM standards are there these days? This is getting ridiculous.

How exactly do you expect a distributed p2p service to work if you can't get the IP that you're connecting to?

What's with third worlders like you not knowing what words actually mean?
You have to go back, pajeet.

What's more, all of them are crap. Maybe the mainstream backdoored chat companies are spreading so many crap alternatives, so neither gets big? Just like they do with linux distros

I don't care what's under the hood. I care it shills your IP to everybody. Tor isn't p2p yet doesn't shill your IP to sites you connect to.

Fuck off, shill

Is the guy who knew what was wrong with this around? I'm glad this thread is alive again.

Whatever faggot, keep humoring them ironically and this board is bound to become even deader.
Faggots like you are the reason Holla Forums turned to shit.

fuck you linux autist. you are boring we need some normal funny people here, to turn this board into 4chan

>>>/4chan/

How do I set up a tox bot to run a group?

github.com/JFreegman/ToxBot

You tell me goy :^)

Why do people like pain?

PSA: THIS PROJECT IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING REWRITTEN IN RUST

github.com/zetok/tox

Senior Tox-devs approve!
tox in the process of being rewritten in rust how does that make you feel? see you in 100 trillion years prrpx: it's great prrpx: I didn't get to choose the developer Other than that, I agree with iphy

This is now a Rust Thread.

I think it's sensible given the goals of Tox. Also haven't the devs shown they are fully capable of shooting themselves in the foot? Maybe something like Rust can limit that.

why does it need to be rewritten?

Why not?

Why not split the people working on tox in writing it in 10 different languages rather than have them all work on the one program together?

because the original implimentation isn't done and dissipating into nothing because of fragmentation would be bad?

It's a meme, you dip transitiontech.ca/random/RIIR

They are already fragmentating because the original maintainer is a lazy piece of shit github.com/TokTok

It's not just a meme, there really is a toxcore rust implementation being actively worked on.

Audio works fine but has anyone tested video on Tox yet?

It worked on my phone.

So where's all the persistent chats and other shit we were promised a year ago? Where's the "stickers" that nobody gives a shit about but were hyped to fuck until we were sick of it?

Joke project/10

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
Looks like you have a crawdad in your garage for some reason.

Man this is by far the most retarded post I have read on this board. You claim you love ancient history, yet you were surprised there was not so much left? Rome has been sacked lots of times in the late ancient world and after this Rome was the capital of the catholic church. The church disregarded the heritage, Forum Romanum was a stable for cattle for hundreds of years in medieval times. If you're so interested in ancient history, you could have known this.

So yes. If you are a naive American who thinks everything looks like kewl gladiator world from far away times, you're gonna get heavily disappointed. If you're actually interested in history, Rome is the most amazing city in the world.

You can always ask questions, because I just ignore whatever's going on and look for interesting posts, questions to answer etc.

Air isn't your property.

I just watched a bunch of videos where they use different styles and the ones they use for giants is basically a winch system that attaches to a huge spool. The one that txfag posted is a fraction of the size. I dont doubt that they can bring in some nice size fish but not as big as people where previously saying

that actually looks pretty cool.

Gemini

Can't really tell you. I don't know him personally. Is he still around tho?

A) There were mass graves

B) It was easily within the realm of 1940s technology to cremate that many bodies. Hell, using 1875 technology, you could cremate an adult male body in less than an hour.

ia802607.us.archive.org/11/items/cremationdead00eassgoog/cremationdead00eassgoog.pdf

Hell, that ridiculous 4 million claim that used to hang over Auschwitz was because that was the expected cremation capacity of one camp, and the Soviets just assumed that that's about how many people were killed there since they occasionally supplemented things with open air burning.

Remember this document, from the Germans themselves?

awesomestories.com/images/user/dd91098a03.jpg

At that rate, in one year, the single camp of Auschwitz can burn 1.7 million people. One camp.

Who the fuck are you replying to?
Also, no you can't cremate a human body in less than one hour. Even with a bone crusher you won't get it done that quick. If you want to discuss high tech ovens either create a new thread or >>>/oven/

That post was part of the botspam.

It seems kind of silly to have an encrypted chat that any stranger can join, or is it the p2p aspect that is of interest here? I never got tox to work very well when using it with friends, lots of weird issues getting it to connect and stuff. I use retroshare with friends now and that has been really good. It just kind of seems to defeat the purpose to have it encrypted and literally anyone can stroll in.

come say that to my face on tox faggot

Has anyone tried compiling the ToxBot on a Raspberry Pi/ARM?
I want to use a Pi I have to run the Bot.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Yeah, we should leave it unencrypted. That would make a lot more sense.

Add me
8FC4694583756BEC3F9DCBED5CEF21AD47D5B4A19D6C2974D68FC33AAB056509E24B62449BF0

rudolph if you're out there it's me recharged

Last time I tried running QTox I made a video call and it was just super staticy sound, has this gotten better at all?

calls come through clear for me

There doesn't seem to be a guide on routing tox through tor on mac. Can anyone help me out?

What's the recommended way of installing tor as a daemon on macOS?
I assume you've seen:
wiki.tox.chat/users/tox_over_tor_tot
which tells you how to configure Tox to use Tor once it's available.
You just have to install Tor. My first instinct would be to check homebrew.

Got it working. Now to find some friends to talk to.

how did you do this

Add me

sent ;)

Step 1: be worth talking to
Step 2: refuse to talk anywhere else

simple OP

because nobody else does. Why do you think people put up with shit like Skype and Discord? because thats what everybody else uses.

there's no point in using tox when none of the people you need to talk to are there to talk with.

Stop following the herd and become a leader. See . You may have to leave some e-pals behind, but you will be better off knowing who your real friends are.

Id love to use Tox but the audio quality is shit, and the audio is unusable over Tor. Why doesn't it use better codecs?

Whenever I tried to use tox I always ended up with a fair amount of dropped messages. Just ended up going back to XMPP. I'd love to use something distributed, but it doesn't seem like it's ready for people with shit connections yet.

yeah....

I am. I'm also using Discord, Skype, XMPP, Mumble, AIM, IRC, e-mail, imageboards, forums and so on. People use those because they work. People use those because they don't eat 50 gigs of phone data per week.

Why aren't you delivering a usable IM program yet? How about instead of fawning over how "Encrypted" and "Distributed" you are, concentrate on "gets a single line of fucking text from one computer to the other without mangling or dropping it halfway".

better than opus?

it does not eat so much data

When you start arguing the exact amount you've already admitted defeat.

Isn't it developed by cuckchan? Also a horsefucker on the main page gives me chills.

Coding is tough. It's even tougher if you want to avoid interacting with any kind of non-free code/libraries.

Skype is garbage, but Discord? Discord is so shitty it makes Skype look decent, and that's pretty sad because Skype is shit.

Why

I've been meaning to check how much it uses actually for just text chat since that's my use case. What's a decent way to monitor a program over time on Linux?

It's crap.

lwn.net/Articles/651003/

29CBC1AE56CBA567411980ED2E16F171DE61FF202D5E44B5B83211AE6D8CCE7F7DD3127A2836

OR MAYBE people don't want another IM app? I love free software and try to use it when I can, but fuck that, what would Microsoft even do with my data? They have it all anyways, so what difference would using an ugly "free" messenger make between using a better-looking "botnet" messenger? I guess Tox is faster and uses less resources, but I still can't get my friends to use it.

Does it really matter if IM's are botnets? As long as I can message people in a comfortable format and it's not too botnet, then I don't see any problems.

Has anybody made a bot with RaTox yet?

Anybody remember that bot named Lee?
It was in the public group. It somehow formed sentences. Who ran that? Where can I get the source code?

~ # uptime 02:49:02 up 4:24, 0 users, load average: 0.10, 0.06, 0.01~ # ip -s l show dev wlan02: wlan0: mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 00:22:43:69:96:87 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff RX: bytes packets errors dropped overrun mcast 49787903 215614 0 0 0 0 TX: bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns 63904989 260048 0 0 0 0
That's 25MB per hour just for an idle laptop with nothing but utox open. 4GB per week, not 50, but that translates into 80€ a month for me just to use a meme program I only talk to one person on.

That's missing the point. The main problem with certain botnet IM services that get shilled on Holla Forums and /g/ is that they are falsely marketed as providing a secure and private means of communication when that is absolutely not the case.

If you use a botnet IM service while fully understanding that you have no real privacy or security, and you only use it for the kind of conversations you would have with a friend out in public or over the phone, then there isn't really that much of a problem. It's unfortunate that this is the norm, but it's more trouble than it's worth to try to convince normalfags that they are endangering themselves when all they want to do is message their friends to play video games or go out for dinner.

The problem is that many (even supposedly tech-literate) people fail to appreciate that, even though they are sending a message only to to a friend, that message must first pass through a third party's servers, where it is probably being archived indefinitely.

Why would you leave a pc idling for a week straight? If you're so anal about wasting resources you should use less electricity.

Electricity is irrelevant, why bother bringing it up?

But can I use that with bitlbee?

I leave my phone on for months at a time. It runs XMPP clients. Tell me why I should care about Tox again.

Sure, if you're running on renewables, or a NEET who doesn't have to pay the power bill. Otherwise you should be running stuff like that on a SBC.

github.com/zetok/Lee
gitlab.com/zetok/Lee

Tox sounds fine, but why would I use Tox instead of ChatSecure? It has all the features of Tox and more.

XMPP is cool, I find Tox easier to use. No need to set up an account on any server, and encryption is built in to the protocol.

Does any of you know if it's possible to have a tracker-like node for finding peers, to avoid participating in the DHT, with the small privacy issues and bandwidth, battery consumption it entails? So people agree to ask this node to find each other? I think that would solve the issues I've had with Tor, because I can't seem to convince people to use Tor on their phones because of the DHT.

Configure your phone's Tor to run as an "exit node"; this will cause it to "exit" participation in the DHT.

Thanks user, I live in bongistan with data caps and this saved my ass.

Yea, thanks, but unfortunately I'm a retard who wrote Tor instead of Tox..

ring.cx/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(software)
Anyone tried Ring yet? It is similar to Tox, and an official GNU project. Seems pretty legit.

Where's the ebuild?

Tox shares your IP with everyone you connect to.

Tox has a really bad throttling problem when sending large files. It's got this zig zag ramp up and crash over and over and over, it sucks ballz.

You mean like every peer to peer protocol in existence? Use it over a proxy if you want to hide your IP.

Where does it say this?

Just installed this.

Still a bit immature (Beta 2 version) and not a big fan of the interface (it's got that fancy menu-in-titlebar thing going on).

Might become decent in time though.

The fact that it supports SIP as well is a plus.

Personally, would prefer that Tox becomes a little bit better maintained and group chats get integrated proper though.

Tox also has the momentum of a large userbase. Nobody is using Ring. We will have to hope Tox gets some more work done soon otherwise this megacorp funded clone might overtake it as the defacto standard.

The crypto circlejerk pisses me off.
I caught that exchange on HN, with Ptacek and the insufferable guy who reported the KCI "vulnerability" on TokTok.
What pisses me off most about it is that he ends the report with "in which case, probably it's fine to continue using your homebrewed crypto" but they're using NaCL for encryption, MAC, and KD.

Not to mention the overreacting to a situation in which the user's fucking private keys are stolen.

Although I think iphy handled it very well.
Overly polite in the face of some faggot who doesn't even know how the network functions, thinking it's centralized garbage like Signal or WhatsApp with his SHUT IT DOWN comments.

So here's the current list of anti-tox shillery:

Is this all these lolcows have got, after how many fucking years?

No, they have a point, lvh in particular is someone who's being helpful, but even if the original reporter pointed out that they don't have a secure AKE, he's pretty fucking pompous about it with the "SHUT IT DOWN" "BIG RED BANNER" "SIGNAL IS BETTER PLEASE LICK UP MOXIE'S CENTRALIZED GOOGLE PLAY CUM DRIPPINGS".

lvh was one of the more reasonable posters. It's definitely a good idea to mitigate as much damage as possible in case of a private key compromise, so it's worth looking into and fixing if possible. But some of them trying to push the idea that it's some super big security flaw worth dropping the project over is concern trolling at its worst. No one has a reasonable expectation of any sort of privacy or security if their fucking private keys get stolen, and any mitigation of damage is just a small plus in an otherwise disastrous situation.

I'd bet my left nut that some of the more hostile posters have a conflict of interest, whether it's by supporting competing products, being affiliated with the government, or even just looking for the ego boost of having "found a crypto flaw so fatal that I got an established project shut down"; crypto "experts" are some of the biggest egoists in the software development world (especially ones who refer to themselves as such with an air of authority).

I think the Tox devs handled the situation pretty well. They've acknowledged the issue for what it is, and distinguished those who genuinely want to help with those who don't. I'm glad they didn't just dismiss it, and plan on fixing it, even if it's virtually a pointless fix in reality.

The edgy attention whore who started throwing shit here (zx2c4) absolutely has a conflict of interest - the "noise" vaporware they were shilling.

Mmm, it defaults to ssl and it's fairly complex. Also it claims it hides the user ip but is also decentralised? Seems quite security weak to me. IMO if you are going to do encryption and secure connections, you should do it right.

That's what I've gotten out of the exchange, and I'm satisfied. In the old days somebody would have thrown a massive spergy tantrum and gotten us shitty PR for months from the HN circlejerk machine.
Iphy knows when to shut up and roll with it.

t. qtox user

The idea is to not talk to anyone you don't trust when it's not TOX over TOR.

Speaking of qtox, have they been fucking around with protocol compatibility again without warning recently? I keep getting messages with ␤ in them.

that has nothing to do with the protocol

oh okay I guess it's a side effect of the fact that even though the network is defined by the core library and all clients use that it's such a broken clusterfuck these things "just happen". got it

Come back when you understand how anything works.

Come back when anything works. :^)

try living in a first-world country

Someone who hangs around the tox project here.

Trust me no one currently involved with Tox is posting in these threads.

The chan origins is like a family secret no one wants to talk about.

I don't post, but I do lurk when I'm linked.

If you have any issue compiling, find me on freenode.

That's qTox being broken... try utox

lvh, is the only one remotely capable, of the discussion.

The main troll creating a VPN system. I didn't look much, but it's trash. Also... github.com/cleverca22/toxvpn/ so yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Caught him on IRC, once I started asking real questions, he decided I "had other motives" for asking for suggestions for implementation fixes.

That's everything that's interesting. Ask me questions, and if someone pings me on IRC, I'll respond.

Leave this website, retard. You have not idea what you are talking about.

I am using utox. These messages with garbage are coming from qtox users and the way they're corrupted reminds me an awful lot of the last time the protocol changed without warning.

aren't you just precious.

lmao
grayhatter btfo yet again
install a client that isn't literally a joke being played on the autists who are still developing it

I pity you for collapsing into an uncontrollable stoner laughing fit before you even managed to read half of the next sentence.

>my meme client still can't parse text correctly because str8c and it's everyone else's fault
>my meme client still can't parse text correctly because str8c and it's le protocol encryption cipher layer 4 protocol iamverysmart protocol right?
>my meme client still can't parse text correctly because str8c and I'm going to go on 8 chan dot net and type like an actual autistic and ping 703735 over and over until I feel better
please keep going paj

applies to you, no matter how hard you deflect by making up bullshit.

that was weak tbh

ROCK
SOLID

Head on back to 76chan, sunshine. This thread is for people over 12.

that was weak tbh

Tox is deprecated. Matrix is the only relevant communication protocol.

Talk to me after your server gets shut down.

Oh.

You do realize it's a federated protocol, and that's the whole fucking point, right?

You can be registered at the Matrix home server, the Riot home server, among others... or your own. You'll still be able to communicate with everyone else.

You know, like fucking e-mail.

Which Mint version? 18.x? Their Ubuntu base (16.04) is biased towards using IPv6 which causes issues with some networks.

We already know that all software is shit, and that every replacement is shit as well. So why bother writing more shit?

Probably because shit is a good fertilizer, eventually something good may result. At least in theory.

Oh, so you're saying everyone will use their own servers instead of massively gravitating towards one central provider, neat.

Oh.

The federation meme needs to die.

If something was introduced from the start that retards could plug into a wall the size of a mobile charger that contains a bunch of services and is easily set up, it would've had a chance.
You're basically saying the internet model needs to die.
It wasn't meant to be a single layer 7 protocol interacting with only a few large monoliths.

Plugboxes are neat but unless someone created a general purpose one manageable from an iOS app that could easily install all kinds of services, it would never gain large use, and probably not even then. That sounds really neat, actually, like sandstorm.io but for plugboxes. Could probably find a decent "power-user" market.

Let me expand, then. The "it's federated!!" defense of server-based software is meaningless when talking about software that's meant to ensure incensorability for realistic use.
Email is federated, but it doesn't matter, because everyone uses Gmail, because it's easier.
Tox is fully P2P, which is the only thing that defeats the natural pull of centralizing around the shiniest offering in a federated network.

blog.tox.chat/2016/12/first-stable-release-of-toktok-toxcore/

Thoughts on Ratox?

Haven't tried it. What features does Ratox offer over qTox/uTox?

Over them? Scritablity I guess. You can kind of script it to do whatever you want. Hell you can script it so when you send it certain messages it will do backups or reboot or het updates, whatever you can write.

So it would be good for making bots. I will look into it.

When will antox get support for group chats?

When new groupchats are merged in core, which was waiting on TCPDHT before, but iphy recently said in a github issue that the DHT will never work over TCP so I don't know what the status of that is anymore.

They should just give up and layer this thing on top of ipfs, which works

Wat? no...

That doesn't make any sense at all. The projects don't do the same things. Are you thinking of MaidSafe?

I can't find it now. It was on the c-toxcore repo, but there's so much activity every day and GitHub's search is so awful that it's unlikely I'll stumble upon it again. I think it was in reply to yet another schizo faggot who figured out how to open wireshark and thusly became a Crypto Pro, if that helps.

Look at Synology and Qnap. My Qnap handles Docker images, makes up for the shitty package support out of the box. Both vendors are starting to make routers for ~$150.

Also, is it just me, or is groupbot down?

No shit. One has working DHT on top of TCP and one doesn't.

And OP wonders why no one uses Tox

I'm making a complete guide on compiling Toxic for PPC. I want to publish when I am done.
The last kink is that Toxic is being installed in the wrong place.
The make looks like this

sudo make install PREFIX=/usr/local/bin

But for some reason it's getting installed to

/usr/local/bin/bin

instead and I don't know why. It should not be making a whole new /bin/ folder inside another /bin/ but it is. Anyone have any idea why?

Have you considered trying PREFIX=/usr/local?

I think a better question is whether he has considered rewriting it in Rust.

zetok pls

lainons are adhd

Good point user, I'll go and video call you over ipfs now.

Cyberia's always buzzing, yer fulla shit.

Has Toxic fixed the thing where it redraws the entire screen 60 times a second yet?

This keeps crashing on my android

No.

File a bug report, street shitter.

What is it about this project that attracts pajeets and redditors? What the hell is this phenomenon?

hey, sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the advantage of Tox vs. OTR over XMPP? I'm only interested in instant messaging, not VOIP/voice chat/whatever.

P2P. This means:

It's also zero config and you don't have to set up a server, which is very convenient. See for why federated networks fail practically.

Fix your almost useless software instead of complaining about complains you lazy faggot

Shut up, Rajesh.

I think it's a case of curryzombie pattern-matching based on the # of stars + "android" + "scala".

Why would they want the groupchat code so badly? Also I think it is already finished but not for mobile or something. Poor pajeet can't even navigate github.

Remember guys, Tox doesn't work. It just doesn't work, so you should all just use Skype or Facetime. Stop improving Tox because it doesn't work. Normies will never use it ether, so just don't bother. Am I right guys? Tox doesn't work and normies will never use it. Just stop even talking about Tox. Don't make threads about Tox.Tox doesn't work and normies will never use it.

not the first time people who don't know how to not out themselves turn to "secure software" right? BTW ip 192.168.01, don't doxx me pls

methodological maturity and strategy user. do you have it?

Cute.

i dont know its probably a photoshop or a trap

so whats up with tox right now?

Not much. Conquered the world. Waiting for people to notice..

does any particular client stand out as a winner? (faithful implementation, security audited, useable, etc.)?

If those are your criteria then you may as well uninstall every IM app you have right now

I'm using uTox, well because I like small and low on dependencies. Some of the hacks in the code is also pretty neat in my view. It's probably insecure as hell, I don't know.

Really wtf is an audit? Isn't it just running a bunch of static and dynamic analyzer on it? Probably spiced up with a debugging session poking around at data I/O. It's not like someone is going to sit down and read the code from "start" to "end" and say "THE KING has approved!".

Or is it the protocol that needs some sort of "mathematical proof"?

It's paying a professional group/team/1337haxzor to review the source line by line to find flaws/issues in the implementation.

This has to be done by a professional who knows enough about how code can be exploited by an attacker. Acquiring that amount of skill and knowledge isn't cheap, so the work they do isn't cheap either. It's also very time/work intensive.

Um, yeah, that's pretty much what it is.

uTox is the only client getting any actual development.

this is pretty much what I was looking for, thank you. Sorry if my question was confusing.

imagine what could happen if you actually worked on multidevice instead of shilling utox on chans and crying about zetok's latest bout of autism

okay maybe i'm retarded but i'm building utox in OSX Sierra and it builds okay but the app doesn't work
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-threadException Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000068Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFYTermination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xbTerminating Process: exc handler [0]VM Regions Near 0x68:--> __TEXT 000000010538f000-00000001054c9000 [ 1256K] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Users/USER/*/utox.app/Contents/MacOS/utoxThread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread0 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fffd4cd46a0 flockfile + 41 libsystem_c.dylib 0x00007fffd4cdd36d vfprintf + 242 0x00000001053a7685 debug + 3733 0x00000001053acd7c parse_args + 9084 0x000000010547efa9 main + 1055 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fffd4c62255 start + 1Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit): rax: 0x00007fffdda933ec rbx: 0x0000000000000000 rcx: 0x0000000000000068 rdx: 0x00007fff5a870950 rdi: 0x0000000000000000 rsi: 0x00000001054afdec rbp: 0x00007fff5a870790 rsp: 0x00007fff5a870790 r8: 0x00007fff5a870950 r9: 0x00007fff5a870950 r10: 0x000000000000002e r11: 0x00007fffd4cdd355 r12: 0x0000000000000000 r13: 0x0000000000000000 r14: 0x00007fff5a870950 r15: 0x00000001054afdec rip: 0x00007fffd4cd46a0 rfl: 0x0000000000010202 cr2: 0x0000000000000068 Logical CPU: 0Error Code: 0x00000004Trap Number: 14
I installed all the dependencies with MacPorts except TokTok/c-toxcore and filter_audio , which I built from source. Everything built okay (no errors but lots of warnings). Any hints?

congratulations, you fell for the meme

install qtox or toxic like a real person would and don't listen to irc gremlins in the future

The error says it all - "com.apple.main-thread", low-level names like "vfprintf" in the stacktrace. You're simply using a broken OS.

Tox needs to add mobile support like bitcoin has, as in they're just "half nodes", or "SPV". Synchronous doesn't work on mobile.

TCP mode was introduced for this. It allows a client to maintain only one connection for all friends as opposed to one for each friend, by using a network-selected supernode. This greatly cuts down on battery drain and memory consumption.
Multidevice will most likely allow even more optimizations as it's developed because of all the new things Grayhatter is doing with it (syncing and relaying data between devices, I can imagine many ways to cut down what mobile devices receive to the absolute bare necessary when a desktop is involved).

Your problem is being a macfag.

Because I don't fucking talk to people and people don't fucking talk to me.

because literally nobody i know uses it.

sorry but that's the way chat clients work, you use them to chat with people you know, not to circlejerk about how much of a techie you are with people you DONT know.

fucking everybody uses skype, or shitscord, and so thats what i put up with. not like i talk to many people anyway.

Most people I know are just going the way of Facebook Messenger.

I hate having to have that POS installed on my phone - but still hang out with normal folk on weekends and need to talk to family on it, so don't have much choice.

I think Facebook IM will be the future for normal people communicating. That's why something decentralized needs to replace Facebook and offer inbuilt decentralized IM and Group Chats. Otherwise, we're farrkkked.

ah okay brb killing myself

I ended up giving up and just using the 0.9.? binary, which worked kind of. Tried qTox and that was more stable then I realized I have nobody to talk to anyways so fuck it all to hell.

I have one half of my original Tox id, with all my original cyberia contacts.

It's saved in a text file and is alphanumeric, not the binary .tox format (or .id, I forget.)

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any way to get it up and running again. I saved the alphanumeric salt and did a fresh install, not realizing that I was losing the other half. Any way to get this to work?

Toxic -f just overwrites the file regardless of format or name.

you lost your private key, you're fucked
welcome to crypto
make a new ID and add your contacts back

alternatively if you somehow autistically extracted and saved your private key in the plain text file a tox dev could help you generate a new .tox from it

a random thought i've been having:

can tox be pumped over retroshare?

I've been wanting to fuck and try to write my own client as a project or something.

It would obviously be a pain in the ass, but if you've got tox->retroshare->tor->retroshare->tox, it seems like there wouldn't be a need to use DHT or any central servers using TOR/TCP.

I'm going to look into it more. Even working it would be a fringe use case, most users clearly aren't even going to attempt to get a system like this up even if the code was written.

What? RS uses either a DHT or Tor Hidden Services.

Are you literally retarded?

I'm talking about retroshare running on .onions, without the DHT.

this is a good analogy of how this would workout, but it would be fun to try.

Tor is a bad meme, only supports TCP (not good for VOIP).

Are... are you actually retarded?

You are "shilling" your IP to 8ch.net right now by posting here.

Your IP is "shilled" to the TOR entry node when you connect to it.

Your IP is "shilled" to your friends you chat with on Tox, unless you decide to "shill" your IP to a TOR entry node instead.

The developers of Tox could have directly coded Tor "under the hood" of Tox, but instead they leave the decision up to us.

Do you now understand how much of a subhuman you are?

It's still in an early phase. It's just recently libtoxcore got versioning and are transfered to being developed as a protocol. Before that it was just a big library with common code for the clients, that often had to build statically because there was no versioning and both protocol and API/ABI breakage would happen on every change.

The most urgent thing I miss. Is to make it suitable for mobile users, and that means to have public bridges to the DHT (like torrent trackers), so that you can run Tox without DHT.

If I remember correctly the mobile clients also have some issues with a new Android interface for waking up the device on network trafic, something about having to connect with a Google server to be able to do that.

Reminder Tuntox, ToxVPN, Groupbot and Markov bot exist.

I don't think you understand how the internet works. If no one recieves your IP address, you cannot connect to anything using TCP/IP. Wouldn't you rather have your friends (who already know everything about you that can be figured out from an IP address) have it than some company or organization run by persons unknown?

Tor was only designed for web browsing.

Using your logic, you should be having an autistic meltdown about the fact that Tox also isn't its own OS.

If you want Tor, use tor. If you want Tor to be "under the hood" of Tox, change the source code yourself.

If you don't have the skills to do so, then you are a pleb and your opinion has been irrelevant from the beginning.

Could Tox be affected by anything from Vault 7?

Considering that Vault7 says CIA circumvents netsec by hacking your devices directly... yes and no.
Tox has nothing to do with it, but it won't protect you when your box is already spookt. :^)

You should be more concerned about any remaining lines of code that git-blame attributes to that cunt stqism.

quick rundown or gtfo

stqism is the guy who stole money from the tox project and tried to fork it and sue the other developers

Because when i follow the instruction and do sudo apt-get install utox I get this:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
utox : Depends: libtoxav0 (>= 0.0.0+20141125.r2965) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libtoxcore0 (>= 0.0.0+20150323.r3271) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libtoxdns0 (>= 0.0.0+20140922.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So un-fucking-hold them.

crypto expert here. tox leaks your ip and if your private key gets stolen you are fucked. abandon ship!

this,

whole drama was sketchy af tbh

0/10 not even worth a CIAnigger meme

also to answer your question, look out for MiTM attacks by verifying the size with whoever is sending it to you, and of course, don't trust people.

Your best bet is running that shit in an encrypted VM, same goes for any discrete communication. Anything fucky happens, just overwrite the image file and spin-up a backup image.

*size of file

Is tox ded again or wot.

No toxcore version for a month

Anyway, check github if you're curious about c-toxcore progress.

consider using a client that isn't literally a joke

Is my understanding of the current state of the "Tox Project" correct?

Anything else?

Show me one that runs over ssh -X and doesn't come with 400MB of useless dependencies and I'll switch in a second.

Dependencies are not "useless" by definition.
The average Lignux desktop already has most of qTox's dependencies installed, whereas uTox bundles its own home-cooked graphics toolkit that nothing else uses. Perhaps you should adjust your definition of bloat.

Why hasn't toxcore seen any updates since last year?

I just want to audio chat with a single friend without dicking around for too long.
Are Retroshare or Ring better alternatives, or is uTox good enough for that?

That's pretty fucking effortless with Tox. If you're on Linux and want to use uTox, don't use the static build though, it's old and aren't being updated anymore.

No devs. That sides, theres not much to fix in terms of existing features.

There are some big things missing to make Tox attarctive - most notably async messaging and file persistence. Would be nice if somebody at least wrote a protocol proposal for that.

github.com/TokTok/c-toxcore/releases

Is TokTok the official Toxcore now?

Let's rephrase. qTox's dependencies are tautological like corporate middle management and you are a zombie PR drone incapable of critical thought or self-reflection. Go fuck yourself with a dev-qt/qtrake.

Yes.
blog.tox.chat/2016/08/update-new-client-xenial-packages-tox-in-google-play-toxcore-fork-and-more/

Ah, I was running the static build. That seemed to be the cause of most of the problems for me, thanks.