Face it

Why the fuck does Linus Torvalds even try anymore? It's absolutely retarded. For the past 30 years, Windows has been on the top, and Windows 95 completely made Linux obsolete. Yet for some reason, Linus continues to develop Linux. Why?

Linux is a miracle of science. It's been in development for 25 years, and still can't be used properly. Windows 98 is more usable than modern-day Linux. It's fucking asinine and inexcusable how unusable Linux is despite the millions of developers and millions of dollars Linus has received over the years. For fucks sake, you can't even shut down some distributions of Linux without a kernel panic, some you can't even start unless you have the proper parameters. What the fuck? There have been no decent features or any features at all that Linux has had exclusively that Windows has not.

Linus is a washed up asshole who insults developers so he can feel superior to others, while being a miserable failure of a programmer himself. I seriously cannot name anything beneficial this guy has even done in the past 10 years. The only accomplishment Linux has is that its managed to get a cult following of the most egotistical morons in history. Heaven's Gate has less crazy followers than Linux. The only reason to use Linux is "m-muh privacy" aka "im paranoid and i dont wanna seek a therapist!!"

And now that the Linux kernel is built into Windows 10 and can run Linux applications nearly flawlessly, INCLUDING DESKTOP ENVIRONMENTS, there is absolutely no reason to use Linux anymore unless your a complete liberal freetard who "thinks" there might be something "malicious". Yeah, right.

Face it you GNU/Freetards, Microsoft won 30 years ago, you have nothing left, Windows 10 has destroyed Linux and made it not only obsolete, but completely worthless to even install in a VM, much less dual boot. You autists can even install Arch Linux on your Windows 10 installations now, so yeah, case in point: no excuse unless you're a pedophile.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#cite_ref-41
kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01
wiki.archhurd.org/wiki/Installation_Guide
debian.org/ports/hurd/
gnu.org/software/guix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

eeh, too obvious. You have to be subtle when making these, I'll give you a 6/10 for effort though. These pastas must be worthy of copy+pasting

check em

What fantastic thread op. Today op is not a faggot

nice job if you wrote it yourself
next time you should try to be less obivious tho

noice

I actually switched to Linux when Windows 98 was released, even back then it was better.

The problem with this comparison is Windows 98 is also more usable than Windows 8 or modern-day Windows.

The taskbar, start menu, desktop and even the start screen have all gotten worse with time. Even if you like or don't mind advertising these new GUI designs are meant to divert your attention to them and take up as much screen real estate as possible.

Thankfully they've scaled it back, full blown Metro was unusable to most users. To the extent that Lenovo, the world's largest computer OEM, was removing it on all their computers. A decision like this isn't taken lightly.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Git is nice.

Agreed. He should have kept away from Windows 10 too, since it's known to spy on you.

Imagine if suddenly a meteor appears and crashes into Microsoft with no survivors. This would be a huge setback for computing as a whole since microsoft would disappear without any trace of Windows source code.

this is not true for Linux, since it can be set up kicking and running on pretty much any hardware. Linux are the little critter mammals that will repopulate earth once meteor kills off dinosaurs

Are you saying that this GNU can run on a computer without linux underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a linux. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that linux is more than just Open Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

The Linux Foundation just spent $9 billion and many years to create Ubuntu, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with linux. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and BSD.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the GNU could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of Linux. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Is this a reply you just wrote or a copypasta reply for the copypasta?

b-but kernel doesnt have nothing to do with popularity

The operating system as a whole (including kernel) should really be referred to as GNU. Calling the system "GNU/Linux" is a compromise made to take advantage of the term "Linux" which has name recognition because it continues to be marketed by companies like IBM and RedHat.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU/Linux is in fact GNU. Linux is not part of the operating system itself, but is the kernel that is not covered by the naming system of an operating system as defined by common sense.

Many users run operating systems such as Windows, OSX, and a variant of BSD yet do not use a cumbersome naming system that includes the kernel, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, GNU has been the exception to this for no reason and has just been called "Linux" for no good reason, and many others use the insane, cumbersome term "GNU/Linux", mostly because the GNU project doesn't want you to think that Linux is a part of GNU.

There really is a Linux, and it's not part of GNU, but it's a kernel, and no one really specifies using it. GNU is the OS; the actual base system you interact with, and is useful with any compatible kernel; it can function with many different kernels such as GNU Mach or even kFreeBSD, so the whole system should only specify the kernel when it matters, because all these kernels are really irrelevant regarding GNU.

A fitting fucked up shill end to a fucked up shill thread.

1. It's "Linux". Period.
2. Linux works great and has advantages over Windows.
3. OP is a faggot.
4. The "GNU" guy is a faggot.
5. /thread

Man this stuff is so wrong in so many levels yo...I was talking to one of my nerd friends and he sent me 3 CDs with the name only labeled "Gentoo" I said to this dude, What's this crap? He just giggled and said "Just install them and MAKE SURE NOBODY IS AROUND YOU WHEN INSTALLING IT!" Then I thought it was some weird virus or some strange crap but as I installed the first CD, I was like "Yo.....what the HELL.." THEN IT CONTINUED and I was like "Yoooooooooooooooooooooooo......." THEN THEY GOT IN THE SHELL AND THEN I SAID "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!" I couldn't BELIEVE what I just saw, It was like Satan gave me his Linux collection, it was so disturbing..YET I COULDN'T STOP INSTALLING IT, THEN CD TWO AND IT WAS TWO OF THEM.....THOSE COREUTILS...YOOOOOOO.......THOSE COREUTILS....AND THAT PROCESS DIED THEN IT...YYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... THEN THAT COREUTIL EDITED THAT CONF FILE THEN YYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........IT WAS LIKE YOUR MOM WANTED TO USE COMPUTERS WITH YOU BUT SHE WANTED TO SOMETHING "DIFFERENT" AND IT WAS SO absolutely glorious, YOU JUST...KEPT INSTALLING IT...AND THAT'S WHAT I DID!!!!! THEN I INSTALLED CD THREE...THREE COREUTILS...THRRREEEEE!!!!!! IT...WAS...THHHHHHRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! AND GREP WAS HIS NAME, GREP WAS HIS NAME!!!!!! OH MY GOD,I AIN'T GOING TO HEAVEN, I ALREADY SOLD MY SOUL TO RICHARD STALLMAN

So I Just want to tell you all right now..DON'T INSTALL A LINUX NAMED GENTOO, DON'T DO IT, IT'S LIKE PLAN9. REMEMBER WHAT I'M SAYING TO YOU!

How fucking new are you?

Lol. I bought my first computer in 1982, n00b. I've been using Linux since the 90s. Stfu. ;)

what is he talking about?..

Oh no, it's another average desktop user who buys his laptops at Walmart who thinks he's an expert on Linux and operating systems. Let's dive in

Linux is not what you think. Linux is an operating system kernel, it's not comparable to what pop culture sees as an "operating system" like Windows. Linus is only involved in developing the kernel, and his kernel sees more money, developers and company support than any other kernel or computer program on Earth. So he's doing fine, thanks for asking.

It's used more that Windows or any other operating system, from the computer literate people running the Internet to the completely clueless grandma running an Android device:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#cite_ref-41

this wouldn't be surprising to you if you knew a nickel of computer science. There's no magic Windows has that Linux is missing

Don't even get me started. Seriously, find an operating systems theory PDF on the Internet and save yourself from glaring idiocy. You don't have the competence to be talking about this shit.

Yes, he is
Did he hurt your feelings, PC vagina? Find yourself a safespace you can read coloring books in.

I think I already explained what's wrong here. I've fallen to low for this bait

Ironically it is not. The userland is built into Windows 10, the GNU utils, bash and whatnot; but those are talking to the Windows NT kernel

It's not even a suspicion, there's plenty of malicious functionality in Windows as a matter of FACT. Fact deniers get to see the therapist

>Mail me at "[email protected]/* */" if you have any questions.

kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/Historic/old-versions/RELNOTES-0.01

To this board, I mean.

I wish Windows and Linux never happened. Would rather be back on my old 486 and DOS. Things were just a lot simpler and better that way.

WHATA FUCK MAN xD i just fall of my chair kuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh

xDXDXDXDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OMGOSH

HOOOOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY SHIT

whatr the HELL

WHATA FUCK MAN xD

i just fall of my chair kuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh

xDXDXDXDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

OMGOSH

DDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDD LOOOOOOOOOLLLLL

THIS IS A SHIT

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

A BIG ONE

XDDDDDDDD

A GRAT ONE

XXXXXXDDDD.

Protected mode in x86 was a thing since 1982 a year after DOS came out, and 32 bit was a thing since 1985 and Windows never got any of that until fucking 95. 13 and 10 motherfucking years of having technology available and not using it, to the point games had to come with their own mini OS to run over that crap that you call DOS, so they could use the fucking memory.

You didn't need so much memory in the early days though, 640k really was enough. In fact memory was expensive, and some systems only had 512k, or even less. So that's probably why DOS extenders weren't a thing for a long time.
Even other computers like Atari ST and Amiga had only 512k or even less in their original stock configuration. But they had better graphics and real sound chips, so that was nicer for games. Plus they had uniform hardware, kind of like console systems. You could basically expect every Amiga 500 to had same sound chip and graphics chips, not worry about which sound card (if any) was installed in PC, and which of MDA, CGA, Hercules, EGA, VGA, etc. graphics card was in the machine.

I know this is copypasta, but GNU is a complete OS that can work with or without Linux. GNU has its own set of hardware drivers.

How do you install GNU without Linux bloat?

When you say windows won it doesn't help to come and shill for windows. Well formatted but way to obvious. 2/10 for effort.

Dubs check em

because consumers are the whole market right?

wiki.archhurd.org/wiki/Installation_Guide
debian.org/ports/hurd/

Eventually, there will be an official complete GNU distribution via GuixSD gnu.org/software/guix/ . Right now, it only works for GNU/Linux while the GNU without Linux is in progress

fuck I should have sage this last night, was on page 5