Thoughts on nintendo switch?

Does the ARM architecture make it harder to port games?

How powerful can this system be if nintendo might sell it at a profit for $250 using a tegra x1 custom chip?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi#Lateral_Thinking_with_Withered_Technology
reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ea9uo/rumor_someone_who_producing_switch_at_foxconn_is/
youtu.be/eN__F5QPrf8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If they're written in assembly.

It will be powerful enough to run Nintendo games.

Are you sure they're trying to sell the console at a profit? Sony lost money on each PS4 it sold, but made it up with sales of games and PSPlus subscriptions.

Nintendo has always been selling consoles at a profit (they might have been making losses when they had to price-slash the 3DS aggressively, I don't remember), I doubt they will start taking hits now.

Only a small part of the code is assembly. If you're using someone else's engine you won't be using it. If they use a weak processor it may be hard without compromising graphics, but otherwise it should be ok. I don't know what other consoles use though, if they have i7s ARM can't compete.

Why do companies continue to sell consoles when it would cost a fraction to get their heads out their ass & listen to others to produce a steam competitor?

Imagine Sony producing a Client that would emulate ps3,and ps4 games with alright performance with current hardware.

porting games/software to different architecture is always complicated.
ARM is very popular and cross compiling should be easier than compiling for the PS3 Cell CPU for example.

the X1 is a surprisingly good SOC (compared to previous Tegra which were all hype and sucked irl)
it should be somewhere between a PS3 and a PS4.
as usual, Nintendo is always the bottom bitch when it comes to hardware.

ps: i think the Switch is going to be a huge failure.
too big to be carried around, not powerful enough compared to other consols, not sure what they were thinking.
they should've made a gaming phone or something.

But Nintendo's philosophy is not using the latest tech, it's reusing old tech in new ways.

nah, they're cheap fucks, they've been milking a shrinking game franchise for decades now.
always the same Mario and Zelda shit.

Why would you ditch a working formula? And no, that's really their philosophy.

i think they're just being lazy and cheap.

You both seem to be in violent agreement

They are a business you know.

I think it's because the casual consumer doesn't want to buy PCs for gaming/upgrade their PC. A dedicated gaming device is much easier to maintain and they don't have to learn anything or worry about its internals (even if minimally).

it would be cheaper without the monitor

OH
I fucking hate that dpad

they haven't made a new franchise since the 90's.

between steamboxes and android handhelds they're gonna feel a squeeze, especially if they wanna lean on classic/emulatable games.

What I find most interesting is rumors that the device may have a touchscreen. If Nintendo is smart with this, they can have the device act like a iPad clone, plus play Nintendo games. That would be a pretty huge plus to the average consumer. If the device acts as a decent tablet, and a decent game console, then it might do very well in the long run.

Why would you buy an iPad for twice as much when you could get a Switch, do all the same stuff, and play Zelda and Mario. Nintendo probably won't do that, but I can hope.

Why should they? People criticize Nintendo but don't realize that they have been in business for 127 years.

Splatoon

This is what you're looking for. Iwata considered it to be an important part of Nintendo. The NX was already underway while he was there. Who knows how long it will hold without him.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi#Lateral_Thinking_with_Withered_Technology

What is

I find it hard to believe the wobblebox cost more to make than they were charging.

Technically a carry over of Famicom/Gameboy Wars, user.

Fair enough, but that only knocks out one of seven. I raise you Steel Diver and Starfy.

I hate it and it's shit but I'll buy it whenever they put Monster Hunter on it.

reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5ea9uo/rumor_someone_who_producing_switch_at_foxconn_is/

Leak translated by a chink.

Only 4 cores and only 4GB of RAM will prevent easy porting of multi platform games. Same mistake they made with the Wii.
300g is way too heavy for a handheld. Women and children will have trouble holding it for prolonged amounts of time.
Non changeable batteries are worse than AIDS.
On the plus side: Processor and graphics architecture are very efficient.

Not if they fucking programmed their engines right in the first place. Intel has a pretty good guide on how to basically change the number of cores processing data in your engine by swapping a variable, but you have to code your engine properly in the first place. Not to mention we don't know if there will be a separate VRAM, since both PS4 and Xbox use shared video and "main" RAM, and IIRC, at least one of them reserves quite a bit of RAM and even cores for the OS itself.
Nigger, it's just 300g. A soda can is heavier than that. They aren't even going to lift them up at full angular momentum.

Why is a discussion about a console for manchildren on my Holla Forums? Can you babies go back to Holla Forums?

Sadly, we are talking about modern game developers. They even fuck up ports from less to more powerful systems. Like from last to current generation consoles, or from consoles to PC.

That's your grown male privilege speaking. Small children and women have a very different relation to weight.

Not sure if serious, but I'll bait.

No, a soda can literally weights more than that. 1L of water is 1Kg (1000g). A can of soda is 33cl, which is 330g. A can of soda full of water weights more than 300g, not even taking the can itself into account. But wait, there is more, since your average soda is actually water with tons of sugar, which makes its liquid denser than plain water, so we are talking about way more than 300g here.

Many children have trouble picking up soda cans due to the size of their hands, not because it weights way too much. Their school backpacks are probably way heavier than that and, while they are carrying them on their backs, they are plenty capable of doing so.

The women claim is retarded in every way, though. Have you ever seen a woman getting tired from drinking a soda?

My predictions are that it's going to be a bit better than the WiiU in terms of GPU, the one in the WiiU isn't good and the system is starved for memory both in size and bandwidth.
In terms of CPU I don't know it's probably going to be weaker, but I'm no programmer.

They actually didn't, they've been selling XBONEs and PS4 at a profit from the start.
That's why this generation is so shit. For reference the PS3 cost them 800$ to make and they sold it for 600$

Basically this
youtu.be/eN__F5QPrf8

Where do you idiots even come from?

My old elementary school backpack weighted 6 kilograms. Given you can carry more on your back than on your hands, that's 20 FUCKING TIMES 300g. That's exactly what I meant with the backpack.

You still have managed to miss the point about soda cans, though. Unless you are talking about toddlers who couldn't even understand the NX, you are wrong.

I want to spray my semen inside Yukari Akiyama's womb until she overflows.

This discussion about hooking your children on the Liquid Jew is disgusting, pls stop.

.. to poo in it. Everything is offshored.

I would probably buy it.. after a year.
I imagined the Switch would make the tablet open for different kinds of apps, so if it would have an app variety kinda like Android, and it lasts more than 5 hours then I would definitely buy it.

It's the first console I'm gonna get after the PS1 anyway

i want to fuck it

If they follow that path, Nintendo might become the new player in the saturated mobile market.

You pansy. The original gameboy weighed like 400g and the only reason people got tired of playing it was because the games sucked, not because it was too heavy.

none of what you said made any sense

PS4 and XBone uses semi-custom AMD Jaguar APUs.

Will it take a performance hit due to it being CISC design?