Christianity thread

why haven't any the protestant sects challenged Paul's writing's as canon? They're a massive departure from anything Jesus talked about.

Jesuism, also called Jesusism or Jesuanism, is a term for the teachings of Jesus in distinction to the teachings of mainstream Christianity.[1] In particular, the term is often contrasted with the theology attributed to Paul of Tarsus and mainstream church dogma.[2][3] While not being opposed to the Christian Bible or Church doctrine, Jesuism does not affirm their authority over the teachings of Jesus.

In 1878, freethinker and former Shaker D. M. Bennett wrote that "Jesuism", as distinct from "Paulism", was the gospel taught by Peter, John and James, and the Messianic doctrine of a new Jewish sect.[8] In 1894, American pathologist and atheist Frank Seaver Billings defined "Jesusism" as the "Christianity of the Gospels" and a philosophy which "can be attributed directly to the teachings of Jesus the Nazarene".[9][10] In 1909, the Seventh-day Adventist newspaper Signs of the Times, in an issue titled "Modern Christianity Not Jesusism", the question is posed: "Christianity of today is not the old original Christianity. It is not Jesusism, for it is not the religion which Jesus preached. Is it not time to make Christianity the religion which He personally preached and which He personally practiced?"[11] Harvard theologian Bouck White, in 1911, also defined "Jesusism" as "the religion which Jesus preached".[12] Lord Ernest Hamilton in 1912 wrote that "Jesuism" was simply to love one another and love God.[13]

come up with your own moral ideology, you fucking lazy cunt

stop relying on some jew who got himself killed by others jews via state violence

what's anime in picture?

OP is right in honoring the spiritual genius of Jesus…

read elaine pagels

the gnostic paul

I just love sucking big black penises and taking filthy poz loads in my neg hol

that most certainly qualifies you to post in a theology thread

Unitarian Universalist here

Why do you all hate us?

I use a bible as a cum rag

That is simple, because Paul's teachings are not contrary to the words or work of Jesus. Paul was commissioned by God to be the Apostle to the Gentiles, as such he had all the authority and measure of the Holy Spirit as did Peter and the other twelve who received the Holy Spirit on Pentecost

But, and here's the thing, Paul's writings are considered Scripture. We have to understand something, the word used in the New Testament for Scripture comes from the Greek word "graphe" which means "writings" But the New Testament authors use this word to only, ever mean the written Word of God.

Peter, says of Paul's writings that the ignorant and unlearned twisted his writings as they did the REST of the Scriptures (2 Peter 3).

Paul's written words are considered Scripture, thus canon, thus not in opposition to Jesus

Jeaus was jewish and waz trying to get money out of all the other jews and was hung aand everyons beathim with sticks and all the shekels came out

The problem with this is that Jesus never taught Christianity. Jesus was born of a Jewish woman, and lived as a Jewish man. He attended the synagogue services, even reading from the Isiah scroll and was considered a rabbi. Christianity did not come about until after the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. As it says in Acts 11 "they were first called Christians in Antioch [of Syria]"

Posting Christian Music

1) Paul's writings are crucial to protestant soteriology. he is the guy who first said the whole "we are justified by faith and not works of the law lest anyone should boast" bit.

2) if we really really want to dig deep, Paul's writings are some of the earliest known Christian writings that even mention Jesus, the Gospels being written later. some atheists even believe that Jesus was a wholly fictional character that Paul made up and the gospel tradition is this fictional character being euhemerized. basically, whether the atheists are right or not, Paul is so foundational to Christianity that it wouldn't exist without him.

exactly
teachings of Jesus =/= teachings of Paul (aka modern dogmatic Christianity)

Jesus literally told the Jews that He was God. He literally told His disciples that He was the way, the truth, and the life and that no man would see God but through Him. So yes, Jesus taught Christianity.

The problem with this is that the modern religion of Judaism has little to nothing to do with the religion of Abraham, Moses, David, etc. You're saying "Jesus was a Jew" and assuming that that means he did exactly what followers of Judaism do today. The reality is that modern Jews believe the Torah to be largely a fairy tale. They have replaced it with the Talmud, which is a collection of the writings of rabbis throughout the 2000 years after they rejected Jesus. It is far less correct to say that "Jesus was a Jew" than it is to say that Abraham was a Christian.

Abraham was chosen by God because he was faithful to God. He worshiped God, loved God, and obeyed God. The Bible says Abraham's faith in God was counted unto him for righteousness. In other words, Abraham is in heaven now because of his faith in God.
God the Father planned our salvation before he even laid the foundation of the world. He knew he would take on human flesh and walk among us. He knew he would live a sinless life and die to save us. God is not beholden to time the way that we are. God created time. God does not obey the laws of time and space; time and space obey the laws of God. Right now, God is watching you read this. Right now, He is also judging at the end of the world, dying on the cross, rising from the grave, and walking in the garden with Adam. For God, there is no time before Jesus. God has always been and will always be. Jesus is God. Jesus walked in the garden with Adam and was loved by Abraham. Jesus's death on the cross saved those who loved him before he was even born just as it saves those who've died since his resurrection.

Jesus spent a very large amount of time telling the rabbis that they were wrong about everything, that they were vipers, and that they were sons of the devil rather than Abraham.

Matthew 3:9: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Matthew 21:43: Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

John 8:37-47: I know that ye are Abraham's seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you.
I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.
They answered and said unto him, “Abraham is our father.”
Jesus saith unto them, “If ye were Abraham's children, ye would do the works of Abraham.
But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not
Abraham. Ye do the deeds of your father.”
Then said they to him, “We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.”
Jesus said unto them, “If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came
from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the
beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him.
When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.”

Do not say that Jesus "was a Jew" and then try to imply that that makes him someone walking around in a yarmulke and praying to the wailing wall. The old testament saints were Christians, and so was Paul.

By that logic, the teachings of Pete, James, Jude, and the others, are also not the teachings of Jesus. In the gospel of John we read of Jesus prayer before his betrayal and in John 17 he prays for those who would believe on him not just by the actions of his disciples, but by their words as well.

Paul was appointed an Apostle by God, as were the original twelve, he was welcomed into the Christian church and his writings are considered Scripture by Peter. Paul, like the rest of the Apostles, had the task of teaching the new Christian church their doctrine and how they should behave themselves. Nothing in Paul's writings contradict what Jesus taught or did. Paul himself would say that what he taught in one church he taught in all churches and to the church at Corinth he said "I desired to know nothing among you but Christ and him crucified."

No, Jesus was a Jew. But you are right, he was not a Jew in the sense that we think of them today. He was a Jew under the Law of Moses, which as you point out modern day religious Jews do not follow, cannot follow today.

The Old Testament saints were not Christians either, as the very word Christian implies a follower of Christ. Again, as it says in Acts 11 "they were first called Christians at Antioch." Those saints of the Old Testament were Jews, they were Hebrews by birth and the Law of Moses was not just the civil law code, but the religious law code as well. This is what Jesus followed while he was on earth, and it was only done away by his death and resurrection.

Also, I wanna say, Jesus again, Jesus did not teach Christianity. He taught "repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand." The kingdom of God being, of course, the church that was established on the day of Pentecost after his ascension into heaven. Jesus came to this earth to A, prepare the hearts and minds of the Israeli people for the coming church, since "salvation is to the Jew first, then to the Greek." to die for the sins of mankind, and establish the kingdom of God which is the church of Christ.

Unitarian Universalist are not a Christian chruch. This is a quote from UUA.org site,"Though Unitarianism and Universalism were both liberal Christian traditions, this responsible search has led us to embrace diverse teachings from Eastern and Western religions and philosophies." We can't except a "church" that opening excepts other religions and teachings.

list the teachings of Jesus and contrast it with the doctrines, dogmas, or creeds of any particular tradition, and we can see how they differ

Let's praise Him with joyous song!
"Open your bowels for Jesus,
Empty yourself and pray;
As you dwell in His Word,
You'll be undeterred
To open your bowels for Jesus."
Amen & Glory!
Praise him with many motions!
>>>/fart/

He is God being born in this world as a jew to fulfil his promise, then the jews killed him.

Again, you forgot the part about being killed, then resurrection.

How do you believe in anything that has zero evidence supporting said thing's existence?

all other religions and all non-religions challenged pauls shit. Its not enough, u cunt?

It's a matter of faith goyim. Gotta have faith about these things. When people challenge your faith you ignore the outcome of the discussion and retain your previous beliefs because it's faith. Following this, watch some hollywood productions that confirm the practice of clinging to faith and ignoring all else.

Nobody is talking about the holocaust here.