Why are web 2.0 websites so fucking autistic? For instance, on Reddit...

Why are web 2.0 websites so fucking autistic? For instance, on Reddit, going into the page source will give you 10+ fucking Javascript files, It will create 20 cookies, and the layout is disgusting.

Where did it go all wrong, and why are most websites like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

bestmotherfucking.website/
github.com/PureMVC/puremvc-cpp-multicore-framework/wiki
archive.is/o8nCF
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They need to step it up like Holla Forums does:
/* * main.js - This file is compiled and contains code from the following scripts, concatenated together in order: * js/jquery.min.js, js/jquery.mixitup.min.js, js/jquery-ui.custom.min.js, js/catalog.js, js/captcha.js, js/jquery.tablesorter.min.js, js/options.js, js/style-select.js, js/options/general.js, js/post-hover.js, js/update_boards.js, js/favorites.js, js/show-op.js, js/smartphone-spoiler.js, js/inline-expanding.js, js/show-backlinks.js, js/webm-settings.js, js/expand-video.js, js/treeview.js, js/expand-too-long.js, js/settings.js, js/hide-images.js, js/expand-all-images.js, js/local-time.js, js/expand.js, js/auto-reload.js, js/options/user-css.js, js/options/user-js.js, js/options/fav.js, js/forced-user.js, js/toggle-locked-threads.js, js/toggle-images.js, js/mobile-style.js, js/id_highlighter.js, js/id_colors.js, js/inline.js, js/infinite-scroll.js, js/download-original.js, js/thread-watcher.js, js/ajax.js, js/quick-reply.js, js/quick-post-controls.js, js/show-own-posts.js, js/youtube.js, js/comment-toolbar.js, js/catalog-search.js, js/thread-stats.js, js/quote-selection.js, js/flag-previews.js, js/post-menu.js, js/post-filter.js, js/fix-report-delete-submit.js, js/image-hover.js, js/auto-scroll.js, js/twemoji/twemoji.js, js/file-selector.js, js/gallery-view.js, js/board-directory.js, js/post-capture.js, js/show-recommended-boards.js, js/catalog-create-thread.js, js/pepe-colored-quotes.js, js/save-original-filename.js, js/post-captcha-box.js, js/hide-velocious-tempestuous.js, js/jquery-ui.custom.min.js, js/wPaint/8ch.js, js/wpaint.js, js/code_tags/run_prettify.js * Please see those files for licensing and authorship information. * Compiled on Mon Oct 31 12:57:03 2016 */

Script concatenation is deprecated with the advent of HTTP/2. Once System modules actually get implemented, you will also be able to natively dynamically load modules on demand, instead of everything all the time and all at once.

Because every web dev is terrified of writing any actual code they just use muh libraries

There are exceptions - mostly programmers coming from non-webdev languages.

Isn't that what requireJS already does?

RequireJS is a separate JavaScript library and a pretty bloated one. System modules will be native to the browser and eventually will even have server-side dependency batching.

I fucking hate javascript. Some sites these days show nothing but a blank page unless I make exceptions for a dozen CDNs, cross-site scripts (just fucking stop it with ajax.googleapis.com already reee), plugins and a bunch of other crap.

Why can't we just go back to plain old HTML, with a basic CSS for just fonts and colors, and not stupid scroll-based animation tricks?

My broker has overdone this so much, that there's not a single real href link left on their site. Fucking everything calls a JS just to follow the link. Want to middle click on a couple stock from this list of hundreds? Nope! Only left clicking! When you're done with one you can just go back, wait for the script laden page to reload, and hope whatever crazy Web2.0 scheme they use to record your options didn't just fuck up and force you to redo your search settings.

It's just fucking sad that I have a computer now that is literally 100x more powerful than the one I had 15 years ago, and the same basic shit still takes the same time, and sometimes it's slower.

OP here again.

I have no fucking idea why websites need more than one .CSS file.

This is sadly true. Nowadays, it is faster and cheaper to use libraries and frameworks instead of actually having a dev physically code a website.

This message describes my anger when I attempt to access a website and it asks me to enable JS to access their content. I honestly don't understand why you websites require JS to display properly when is is up to HTML and CSS to do that.

Conditional CSS. I have one for the base, one for each theme and one for noscript.

We really need to push a bit more and boycott these fuckers. Some people think oh, techies are 1% of the drooling masses who bring in the ad impression dollars, who cares if they boycott, they all run adblockers anyway. But if we become unified in our strong preference, the market will stratify: There will be a "normalfag" internet that says fuck you to the boycott, and a "techie" internet that respects your privacy and intelligence. The latter will be smaller, but have more quality content, and it will become viable to never go on normie web ever except for normiewatching.

The awful layout comes from tools that minimize the content for smaller file sizes. No one actually hand-codes every page anymore because the maintenance would be insane.

One for Bootstrap, one for overwriting the default Bootstrap settings, one for the theme of your website, at least one you downloaded from somewhere as part of a library, and one for settings that apply to only the current page.

This is the problem of our web languages, they have been stretched way beyond what they were designed for. CSS was meant to be a simple style sheet so all your headings would look the same, but now it is a full-blown layout system. And if you don't want to be lost in an autistic several hundred or thousand line long CSS file you are going to split it up.

Web development is so full of nasty edge cases that libraries are a good thing to save time. Sure, using a library to left-pad a string is fucking retarded, but there is a reason why something like jQuery exists (one could argue about the quality of jQuery itself, but the principle of having such a library is valid). Sure, you could do without, but why would you want to waste your time writing your own half-assed implementation that doesn't have the edge cases covered?

The problem is not JavaScript, it's that JavaScript is used for things it shouldn't be used for. Has anyone ever been scrolling a website and was thinking "man, I really wish the content would swoop halfway on the page in as I'm scrolling instead of just sitting there"? Of course not. Using JS for this is a waste of everyone's time and computing resources.

Do you know what the difference between a good and a bad athlete is? The good athlete will perform super-human feats and make it look like it's a piece of cake, from looking at him you would think it's as natural as walking to him. The bad athlete will huff and puff so you can see how hard it is what he's doing, and how special he is for being able to do it.

This is what hipster webdevs do. They add all these bells and whistles because they want you to go "wow, this is so cool, how on earth did you do it?". On the other hand, a good programmer will make a website that's clean and efficient, you will be able to load it on a server and it will be buttery smooth. I haven't met a single person who looks at the bloated hipster websites and actually likes them. They are indifferent at best.

Great, then maybe in ten years when grandma finally updates her browser we will be able to use it. This is what pisses me off about web development, you just cannot move forward because somewhere there is someone running an ancient system without any updated and you have to take them into account as well. It's the same with software as well, but at least people with ancient system don't expect to run any software they come across.

will it be like whalewatching, like we have a boat and a guide and peacans and everything?

probably if you consider livestreams like jim's

Webdesigners think they have to use every technique they know even when it makes no sense whatsoever to use it.

At least in my own personal projects I can confidently tell that below 1 percent of retards with impossibly outdated browsers to fuck off. Sadly, for the rest you will have to use feature detection to load conditional polyfills.

That's upper management of web devs. You don't have the time to implement things yourself when they give you tight deadlines, and they don't like it when you implement things yourself because that's "harder to maintain" and not "code correct".

I don't think most web devs are lazy by themselves; rather, they get taught, and in many occasions, FORCED, to be lazy.
It's very easy to blame the person directly doing the bad, much like people insult help desk guys over the phone for bad company practices they have nothing to do with. But you have to understand that for almost every shitty thing being done, there are suits behind the decisions.

I've managed to avoid WebDev so far (embedded software) but this is an informative post, thanks. As an aside, for personal stuff I just copy bestmotherfucking.website/

But this is a good practice. User agent detection is retarded.

It's still the reverse of what should be happening. An application should not contain tests for the compiler used to compile said application.

It's not when you're writing edge cases for IE.

This is why. Anybody can be a Web Dev if they wanted to be one.

IE11 is the only supported version of IE. Just ditch older versions.

Then what do you propose?

I DO mean the current version

Well, I wouldn't consider IE11 the problem. As people have mentioned ITT, the current Web is unnecessarily complex so it's hardly surprising that a browser from 2014 isn't on par with the latest shit in late 2016.

Edge has replaced IE anyway.

2013, actually.

Yeah Microsoft fucking wishes. People don't like Windows 10 despite Microsoft's gigantic campaign and outright forced updates.

You haven't worked in a project that targets all major browsers, it seems.
You don't have to get unnecessarily complex to find IE LOVES to be the special snowflake and do things differently from the other browsers. For no reason. Not even on cutting-edge features, just basic things.

On Holla Forums. But this board is hardly the world.

I'm not talking about Holla Forums
Major software projects still target IE11 instead of Edge because people use that more.

Well, duh. But IE11 is on life support with the advent of Edge. Microsoft is only releasing security updates for IE11 these days.

You're not contradicting what I'm saying. I know Microsoft wants the future to be Edge, and it probably will be someday, but IE is more relevant as of now and that's what companies care about.

Not so long ago projects were targeting IE6.
Then until recently projects targeted IE9.
They will eventually stop caring about IE11 if Microsoft pushes all but small portion of users to Edge.

They'll have to push them to Windows 10 in order to that
That'll take them longer than they'd want.
I'm all for getting rid of fucking IE11, but that's not happening any time soon. I'd be really fucking delighted if they just backported Edge to Win10, but I guess they need to sell their shitty OS and we all have to suffer for it.

to Win7*

Why would they backport UWP to a Windows version that they no longer really support (not counting security patches)?

I think that does mean "support".

Again, it makes sense they want people to move to the newer version of their OS, which is why they made it so Edge only works there, but in the meantime we're stuck with IE11 because the newer Windows version didn't turn out as good as they though.

It's in the 5-year period of extended support, yes. But the 5 years of main support ended almost 2 years ago. This hasn't really changed in the past 15-20 years.

And I'm not seeing that negativity about Windows 10. People love it, surprisingly even diehard Macfags.

Alright

Ideally JS would compile to a compact intermediary format in modular units. Each module would define specifications inferred at intermediary compile time that it requires from the browser. The browser would then take this list of specifications and for each one, it does not support, invoke a predefined action, such as loading a polyfill or telling the user to fuck off. This all, of course, requires static typing.

I've noticed that Holla Forums is particularly heavy.

The web has been sucking lately and it kills my old laptop battery, but Holla Forums crashes tabs all the fucking time, makes my 1.5ghz rig stutter, eats ram, and will happily hang on .webm threads.

needs some dynamic fucking content loading, but I can't see that getting bolted ontop of spaghetti anytime soon. especially if it hammers the content server harder.

Do you expand all webm at once? It should not be a problem otherwise, unless the devs are doing something very stupid.

My university uses a site like that for registering classes. 1 page only shows the class numbers for classes of a certain subject (can number in hundreds), but nothing else. It also takes 10+ seconds to load. If I want to know the class name, description, or schedule, I have to click it and it takes me to a new page, but I can't register the class from that page. I have to go back, wait for the class list to load, select the right class number, and the register for it on another NEW FUCKING PAGE. Then if I want to register for any more classes, I have to go through the whole process again. Trying to find and enroll in 3 classes take me 10 fucking minutes.

Soon we will reach the point where web pages get so bloated, it will be faster to just walk to the professor's office and register that way.

Gulp/Myth/ exists.

This is what happens when you replace programmers with art guys.

use a real language
github.com/PureMVC/puremvc-cpp-multicore-framework/wiki

js was a mistake

Image de-duplication was a mistake.

Nope, Holla Forums is simply doing it wrong.

Which site? I want that image in the bottom right and maybe more.

meguca.org

Thanks, user.

Disable Auto-update. You should disable all js to be honest.

The "technical" school I used to go to had the most retarded website I've ever seen in my entire lifespan, and I've seen some pretty fucking retarded websites. It takes a while to load since shitty school connection (even though the gov pretty much gives them free high-speed fiber Internet), but trust me, once it does load you'll wish it never did. It has this telephone dial at the center with icons (you guess what each icon means if you're on a touch screen) and this little scrolling news ticker to the left (because hey it's the power of computers and web2.0, better use some 1970's tech representation to give important news!) that needs to use Flash for some reason (the only part of the website that uses it btw). Of course, once you click on an icon, some kinda window pops up and you remain on the same URL for the entire session. It looks like it was made in PowerPoint.
You have to be really careful not to resize the browser window or else it will take you back to the beginning, so if you're using chromium better download that spreadsheet last. Trying to register for whatever thing you have to register for will be a pain in the ass since the database seems to be some dude with a notepad apparently, and if you try to look up which professor is not going to assist today, you better make some coffee since the fuck-huge professor list scrolls by itself, and it doesn't let you touch it. At least that part is a frame, so I could load the frame alone and not have to go through that bullshit every other day.

Here's the website in case you're curious (see if it even loads, it barely did for me): its.edu.uy

Oh and by the way, remember, they teach web design there.

Burn it down.

Now imagine going through 3 years of CS with these asshats. The main guy there, the professor in charge of the whole CS area, their strictest judge, wrote this website himself, and for years he has never seen anything wrong with it.

How many hours do I have to wait for it to load?

It's when webmasters stopped supporting and testing their sites with Lynx. It used to be a badge of honor that your shit worked in Lynx, and not just IE and/or Netscape. If it worked in Lynx, it worked everywhere.

Lispers think the final program doesn't matter and hide their garbage behind macros, reader macros, transpilers, and preprocessors.

JavaScript is a dialect of Lisp. This is exactly what Lisp would be like if the macro-expander was a separate program.

I waited 30 minutes and nothing. Leave it overnight.

Sounds like you never experienced the early web. Back then, only small percentage of people had anything besides dialup shell account. So Lynx was in widespread use.
Also, fucking Gopher sites, hell yeah!

it started when HTML5 got out.
JS went the 'emacs' way and it can do all sorts of stuff in a surprisingly short period of time and the problem is that there is no replacement web scripts!

i miss the 2008 internet. there used to be 90% content and a bunch of GIFs and JS used to be cool (like playing MIDI files on a web page!)

html4/ xhtml was the beast. everyone used to package all the content in gzip/xhtml and SGML compliant compared to the current html5 which is anti-sgml and LETS PUT VECTORS AND SHIT BECAUSE ITS SHINY THAN YOUR GRANDPA .

everyone was happy that 'flash' is dying but now we got JS ads * JS css * JS (fucking custom) html elements = JS or break (even knows you use adblock). flash needs to live but html5 managed to kill it. they conspired to flash-sama. now we have no cool FLASH.swf content and most of the devs moved to android botnet bandwagon. there used to be a lot of hentai and cool flash games, now its just google play and google ads. fucking jews

the web is becoming shittier.
we need to fix this and make something from scratch (not the meme)

im planning on making a peer 2 peer internet content enhanced by independent and dedicated cache servers (like trackers but reduces load for active content) plus a venn-style file store to avoid content redundancy.

it's internet on dextrose. needing ideas on how to prevent excessive bandwidth attacks that most big C's can pull off anytime.

Enjoy getting pwned

No way I'm doing that.

Lol. You're assuming way too much out of those incompetent fucks. You shouldn't make a habit of doing that regardless.

archive.is/o8nCF
I'm not waiting for this shit to load. Thankfully someone archived it. I won't see the full horror, but this shit is bad enough as is.

Never disappoints.

It looks like some shitty 90s GUI application. Those who don't learn from history...

There is no way this was actually made by a person. It looks like it was assembled in one of those programs were you click and drag things and it then generates the HTML for you.

What I learned from history is: computer industry is a complete sham. They have you constantly upgrade hardware, OS, etc. and you pay up the ass and lose compatibility with old software. Then you lose time trying to adapt to new environment. I had an Amiga 500 that could do everything I needed, with upgraded HDD and could have bought 68040 accelerator and lots of memory. Instead I suffered though all kinds of PC and Linux shit. Fucking disaster, I hate the computer industry. I want off this fucking train wreck and go back to having fun again with simpler computers.

Yeah, because that sure has helped Windows.

But Windows has no compatibility between versions whatsoever.

False.

Operating system versions, not commercial releases, dumb dumb.

How are they incompatible?

Today I tried to run a Win32 binary in Windows 3.1 (inside dosbox) and it refused to run, saying "Needs to run in Windows environment" or some shit like that. Since the contents was an old DOS game (not Windows related at all, except for the stupid packaging) I figured Windows 3.1 would suffice, but no, it's just fucking stupid.

WinAPI breaks backwards compatibility every release, so they have to virtualize the previous version inside the new OS to make at least some things work. Of course they hardly ever do a decent job of it, if at all.

Exactly, but a Linux program from 1995 will still compile and run fine on modern Linux.

Win32 was introduced in Windows 95, not 3.1.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

But that's still false. You can run Windows 1.0 software in 32-bit Windows 10 just fine.

Prove it.

A stale meme.

You have never bothered installing old software on modern Windows, have you?

I don't even run Windows. I just meme.

No, the game is a DOS game (written in QBasic) that was made after Win95 release. But I couldn't extract the archive contents from Windows 3.1, even though there was no indication on the package that it needed a Win32 system.