Moana totally isn't a princess because it's 2016

yahoo.com/movies/shes-no-princess-how-moana-continues-the-evolution-of-disneys-animated-heroines-214303136.html

You know, with recent Disney Princess marketing being about muh strong role models, Frozen still being its own brand, classic Star Wars lady becoming general, and characters like Star Butterfly being more parodies of the trope, is Disney truly moving away from this backwards stereotype?

Other urls found in this thread:

keouanui.org/KalakauaRoyalChart1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well, Hawaiians did have a system of royalty and lineage back in the day. Is Moana the daughter of the Hawaiian queen or something?

But Frozen had 2 princessess instead of one.
And second of all we have Sofia the First and the new mexican princess show, so no, we still have a lot of monarchy in the making.

DISNEY YES!

Technically true for the first 20 minutes of the movie. Elsa did officially become queen, just saying.

Why do these dumbasses care? Pocahontas wasn't a princess either. Mulan wasn't. It's not like it's this 'OMG NEW' thing. I don't even think Belle officially became a princess, either.

They still do. Hawaii provides America with an "America" royalty, since at least two houses still exist and are kept track of the same way we still keep track of German royal houses. They have no power, symbolic or political, but they're still royalty.

Quentin Kawānanakoa is currently the head of the House of Kawānanakoa and heir to the throne. Except there is no throne and he's really just a republican politician.

I think Moana was supposed to be the daughter of a chief so yeah by Polynesian standards she's royalty.

Do you have a site where the lineage is? I thought the royalty was supposed to be descended from Liliuokalani since she was the last monarch of Hawaii.

wasn't Pocahontas the daughter of a Powhatan chief or something? But yeah they seem to market the characters rather than the royalty title.

Liliuokalani was part of the House of Kalākaua, and the house died with her. The House of Kawānanakoa is a cadet branch, so they're the heirs despite never ruling when Hawaii was a kingdom.

This seems to be the site for this sort of stuff but it's all history oriented keouanui.org/KalakauaRoyalChart1.html

The House of Kawānanakoa is a separate link at the bottom and you can piece together the line from David Kawānanakoa to Quentin, by using that and Quentin's wiki page.

Mulan wasnt a princess nor was she the daughter of a royal family yet Disney still markets her as one.

thanks user, you cleared up a lot for me.

Girls like the trappings of being a princess, not actually being a royal. They're never going to stop giving these characters those desirable traits whether they call them princesses or not.

Yes:
+ Being pretty.
+ Having people listen to you and respect you.
+ Being important and the center of attention.

No:
- Reconciling the traditionalist branch of your church popular with the yeomanry and the reformist branch popular with the nobility and merchants.
- Finding an appointment for your idiot cousin where he can't make too much trouble while still giving him enough prestige his patrons won't be offended.
- Choosing between promoting the mediocre, loyal general or his brilliant, politically erratic rival to field marshal .

What's the deal with the princesses in MLP?
Is Celestia a Princess Regent, or a Crown Princess or something, like Namor?
And is the whole Alicorn thing representative of a caste system?

the alicorn thing is a bit weird. Originally it was implied they were a different race of pony just like the unicorns, pegasus and earth ponies. But then Twilight a unicorn became an Alicorn in Season 3 or 4 I believe. So I'm not really sure.

Don't think about brony shit too much

Celestia and Luna are basicaly gods and by all means rule as queens but that shit is not as market friendly as "princess"

Faust wanted Celestia to be queen but couldn't convince Hasbro, then when they made her walk out, they shoehorned more winged unicorn horse princesses out of cynicism

The thing about being a princess is that fundamentally, being a princess is about a sense of refinement and duty modern writers have difficulty wrapping their heads around.

A "real" princess needs to be a reasonably educated figure capable of multiple talents such as horsemanship, fabric work, hunting, and general literacy, which in a historical context tends to mean religious text and heraldry.

Which invariably translates to a cynic typing on his apple mac as "boring stuff just like modern school".

Unless you want to score political points. Then suddenly a "real" princess isn't allowed to do whichever of the above they want under any circumstances.

I'm not sure little girls will like Moana any more than say Pocahontas or the black girl who's name I don't even remember.
I'm sure the movie will be a visual masterpiece of computer animation yada yada it will win awards.
I'll probably find it entertaining.
There just isn't a part of me thinking that after watching that movie that any little girls are going to want an island themed birthday party with her face on the paper plates.
Between the weapon brandishing pose and the curly hair coupled without being too outrageously anglofied she just seems like a more ethnic version Merida the moonfaced ginger from Brave.
The whole no love interesting comment is the greatest all around female viewer poison in my opinion.
The movie will still turn a profit.
It just comes off as one big brownie point movie like

I hope the movie is good but yeah I can see some of the whole diversity points there.

I thought princesses were mostly just royal family cumbuckets

Read a book.

Contemporary illustration and writing makes it clear that upper class women were expected to be able to do certain things, and those things tended to become more developed into the renaissance and enlightenment period. Those being the periods Disney loves to take their art direction ques from anyway.

What do you think they were actually expected to DO all day? Sit there really really still and try not to breathe?

You know just to hammer the point home here's a random assortment of images.

I think that the biggest problem with modern academia -and modern media-, is that there's never a sense of "good enough", let alone objectivity. Obviously whatever real actual women do in a historical context isn't good enough, because the only thing good enough is this world shattering heroic figure, or any incomplete fragments of statues or pottery or whatever you can forcefully jam into that mold.

I mean yeah, to an extent people can try translating it as being relatable or exciting but after a certain point the idea has become that real life situations are now completely unrelatable and all they factor in is essentially an artist bringing someone in to make facial expressions to copy.

This is your history on feminism

I remember when discussing the flaws of Frozen to some sperg. I pointed out how Anna acts nothing like a princess and is more a modern tumblr girl in her mannerisms of speech and body language. his justification was that "women weren't educated and just made to make babies". this nigger in the same smug breath said he was an expert in history

Kinda funny really, Disney has always had more lead female characters than it did male characters and yet feminists still complained because those women were princesses …..even though most of those movies' plots revolved around them wanting more from life.

Hasbro didn't want queens because "queens are evil" eg the queen from Snow White. Princesses on the other hand have been cemented by Disney into being morally pure protagonists, so they made Celestia and Luna into the latter rather than the former.

So she won't be upset when she gets left out of Disney princess celebrations and is only there as the entertainment. I'm okay with this.

They have easily subverted those stereotypes (which aren't even played straight as much as you would think), but Hasbro clearly doesn't give its audience much credit. They seem more mentally stuck in the 50s than Disney.

Hell no. Once Feminism collapses the USA and Gynocentrism is pointed out? Disney will go back to Tradionalist values and show women as demure damsels to make stupid men want to protect & provide for them. Except that Traditionalism is just the opposite side of the Gynocentrism coin.

Really now, without men women are nothing.

HE'S BACK

Was ANYONE saying she was? Does it even matter if she is? As others have pointed out, it doesn't stop them from marketing Tiana or Mulan as part of the 'disney princesses'

Hell, even Belle isn't a princess, but she's arguably the most famous OF the 'princesses'

It was mostly "progressive" types jerking off to the idea of a "underrepresented culture Disney Princess"

say goodbye, for in their hands childhood dies.

Personally I was looking forward to this to explore the culture. I don't want the current diversity bullshit but if you're going to do it at leas explore their culture and history so it seems authentic.