Secure Browser/OS

Hello Holla Forums, I would like to know what the most secure web browser/OS is and what I can do to preserve my privacy. I already despise large companies such as Google, Twitter, Facebook, Etc, and I have not made accounts for any of them. However, I feel that my information may be compromised as I am running a fairly unsecured OS(Not Windows) and I commonly use email services.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

privacytools.io/
chromium.woolyss.com/#privacy
github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium
img.stanleylieber.com/src/18213/img/1466912963.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

privacytools.io/

Windows is Big Brother OS. Stick with a Linux/BSD distro.
If you use Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS they know every single host you connect to.
You should assume your email provider reads all your email.
There are free alternatives to Twatface, like diaspora and GNU social. I've never used any of them so can't recommend.
Unfortunately, all browsers suck big time. Chrome gives your data to Google. There's Chromium, but I don't know how better it is besides being free software instead of proprietary shit. Opera, like Chrome, is closed source so you should expect them to monitor you. I suppose the less bad browser is still Firefox, not counting the ones like lynx. Whichever browser you choose, set it to remove cookies once you close the session (then add exceptions like for email or whatever).

Some add-ons you should try (first three require zero effort):
HTTPS Everywhere
Privacy Badger
Decentraleyes
AdBlock with Fanboy's Social Blocking List, to block "like" buttons
Noscript
RequestPolicy

Well the absolute first thing you should do in securing your computer to make it private is making sure all your internet communications are abstracted. Never connect directly to a web browser from the same computer hosting your internet connection, for example.

Just as a quick example, internet should flow roughly like so: Host -> guest1 -> connect guest1 to VPN/Tor/I2P -> pass guest1 internet to guest2 -> guest2 -> connect to web

After that you should do what suggesting. Avoiding of course the big bads like the "cloud", the "internet of things", etc.

chromium.woolyss.com/#privacy

In my experience I don't recommend it, it breaks many sites. Instead I use KB SSL Enforcer. But this could be just me and my settings.

w3m or links

I've never had an issue. I think it's you.

lynx/OpenBSD

Stop using the internet.

Qubes OS with Tor. Containing software with virtualization is the most important modern method of maintaining security.

Tor is not a browser.

If you must use web2.0 kikery, firewall everything except whitelisted access to squid/varnish on a physically separate and locked down machine.

Chromium tends to be okay as long as you lag behind on the stable branch and watch for shitstorms coming down the pipe. The privilege separation and sandboxing is still ten years ahead of Firefox either way.

If you're not using uMatrix by now then you deserve everything that happens to you

how about ungoogled-chromium?

This is complete bullshit. https everywhere doesn't break any sites at all.

A secure browser is Tor Browser Bundle. Secure OS would include Qubes and Tails and Whonix.

In before Agent Fud with 'Tor is compromised' horsecrap.

Chromium can't be fully un-Googled.

this is probably the most secure option

but as security and convenience are generally opposites, it is probably one of the least convenient

"HURP DERP IM FROM REDDIT AND I AM REALLY SMART LOOK HOW INTELIGENT I AMMMM HURRRRRR"
i bet you use BRAVE faggot

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium for non retards only
DAILY REMINDER GNU-ICECAT IS THE *ONLY* BROWSER THAT RESPECTS YOUR PRIVACY

Dooble is a good privacy browser if configured properly.

How does eww not respect my privacy?

What is Dooble?

Avoid javascript entirely. Don't even bother with the stupid browser plugins and other related crap. The simplest way is to turn js OFF and leave it like that. Or better yet, use a browser that doesn' t support it.

It is just called Tor Browser now, not Tor Browser Bundle

None. Nothing. No. Nein. You can hope, you can pray, but someday you will realize that anything web-y is not safe and can never be safe. After all a web browser is designed to render Hypertext Documents that simulate paper. Nothing more nothing less at its core. It is not and WILL NOT be secure.

Tor users can not upload files on this board

img.stanleylieber.com/src/18213/img/1466912963.jpg

True, but while javascript is the biggest offender, one must not forget that modern browsers are full of stupid shit that can bite you in the ass. Ideally, your browser should only download the file you point it at, nothing else. If it's an image, open it in an image viewer. If it's a webm, open it in a media player. If it's html, parse and display it. Anything that requires another connection (images, iframes) should be displayed on the page as a link, but no connection should be made until explicitly requested.

That's why I use Links in text mode.

Don't forget also CSS files (they can be on any server). I don't know if Links loads them, but Elinks seems to. I guess checking with tcpdump is only way to find out.

I didn't mention css because Links doesn't support it. But yeah, css is cancer as well.

no no, i'd like to interject.
CSS offers great possibilities for replacing javascript, on a large number of sites using javascript for UI. yet i have not heard of any of the same kind of vulnerabilities in CSS as with javascript e.g. rowhammer.js

CSS is not executable, it is only rendered, and therefore, it is to be loved