Now it's your turn

Everyone's making new boards left and right, and none of them seem right. 4chan is clearly the most succesful in terms of popularity, but it has major flaws. This board looked like it was heading in the right direction, but something went wrong along the way.

What would you implment in an ideal board Holla Forums? What kind of features should a proper board implement?

This is not some covert plan to get ideas for me to make another imageboard right after. However, I am in a position where I could make one if this place hits the dirt, and it would be better to make one with features people want and no fluff/bullshit.

An idea I gave consideration was temporarily blocking any new IPs if a potential flood was to happen. Permitted IPs that can stay would be taken from a log of a couple months. This wouldn't be a posting limitation, this would straight up drop new IPs immediately, preventing anyone from seeing the site. This quickly discourages normies who might come from a popular facebook/twitter post.

Additionally, old-school bans should be reinstated. If you're banned, you don't even get to see the website.

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/operate/res/60288.html
scriptarchive.com/
freech.net/
4zip.pw/chan/
4zip.pw/chan/
chiru.no
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Very nice. Much like the way some MyBB forums operate. I also like the permitted IPs idea.

Is the scope limited to imageboards? I like most traditional forums (e.g, with usernames, but rep shit is just cancer)

Reasons "rep" is cancer

If we're doing a forum:

And if we're doing an imageboard, anything would do really. Interesting features being implemented would be nice, such as accounts tied to trips, with a PM system in place. Generally mix mashing the classic forum style along with imageboards.

I use VPN, so fuck off with your stupid moron idea of IP blocking

I was thinking along the lines of an anonymous imageboard. I've never liked the idea of tying an identity to your posts. I was on the bandwagon of "everyone make your own board", but maybe there should be an inbetween. "Official" boards for something like /a/, but unofficial boards would be approved, and if they break a three-strike illegal content limit, it's closed.

VPNs don't need to be entirely blocked. During a potential flood, they could be limited, but the goal is to keep dedicated anonymous posters.

I'm not against the idea of raids, but they can cause visibility problems.
If a raid starts happening, the thread is marked as a "raid thread", and is deleted (not archived) after the bump limit is hit and it leaves the catalog.
If someone mentions the raid outside of the board, the thread is automatically deleted and if the offender is known, he's banned.

Another idea could involve NOT designing it for phones. If there is a mobile version, it could be available only behind a paywall.

Also, the IP addresses are never stored directly, instead, some form of hash/hash + salt/hmac is applied on them.

Block phone posters from even accessing the site. Phoneniggers are one of the reasons why 4chan died, all they ever do is evade bans and shitpost. In fact, smartphones killed the internet in general. It brought so many normalfags onto the internet it's not even funny.

yeah, it's a good idea.
If there's a mobile option behind a paywall, then maybe there should be an additional limit that you must have lurked for a significant period of time with a paying/gold account. Maybe the first couple hundred/thousand people that join get it free, but everyone else has to pay.

Responsive layout is not "for phones". And the phoneposting fearmongering is bullshit anyway.

I'd kill for a imageboard dedicated to otaku culture and technology only. 4chan is not fun anymore with the same premade threads/shitposts and Holla Forums is Holla Forums central. Wish I could enjoy reddit but I can't stand karmapoints.

I'm slowly moving back to IRC.

I think the most important thing is good moderation. I'm not aware of any board that still has that when placed under duress.

You could always go to Tohnochan.

Kill the weebshits and Holla Forumstards, raising the average IQ by 30 points and removing underage faggots in one stroke.

See 8ch.net/operate/res/60288.html
I'd program it myself but I'm shit at web development.
I don't know what a pee ayche pee is, nor a jQuestion.

Or simply put a normie shield like wizzard chan.
Newfags who are not IT competent will see funny stuff.
Ideally would be per thread / category of thread.

One thing I would add is tags. When you make a thread you'd have the option to tag it based on it's contents. You'd be able to hide or search threads based on their contents. With tags you could hide all tech support threads if you don't care about them, or only search through Linux threads if you want more Linux news.
Tags would also allow for bigger boards. Instead of breaking big boards up into smaller ones, like 4chan did with Holla Forums, you could just filter out anything you aren't interested in.

[Edge sharpens]

There's always Tumblr for your kind.

this fucking cuckchan/g tier bullshit needs to end NOW

no, it's the pathetic fucking loser permavirgin undereducated kids who are ruining imageboards with their emotional bullshit

this, weebshits really need to gtfo

As a full on Holla Forums-tard, that never really occurred to me.

Every spinoff chan has been a "protest chan" for a single board. None of them tried to focus on the core audience, which is anime fans. Chans are anime discussion boards first, and anonymous forums second.

That's what it seems like too. The software is mostly fine, but it's difficult to find someone with the right vision.

That sounds like a sweet idea. Nearly all the Mac discussion here ends in the same type of flame wars. This could also help mark Generals better.

BBS, text only.

I first considered tags myself, but there are several problems with them.
One is tag deduplication. Unless you have people actively moderating tags, there will be several tags for the same thing.
Another is that you would have to ensure tags are correctly applied to the threads and once again requires moderation. Systems that do not rely on staff are usually more robust.

What I went with is mandatory subjects on thread creation and several ways to lessen the need for creating new general threads: no thread post or image limits, links to load only the last 50 posts and currently working on drastically improving large thread loading speeds.

I have that implemented as a board-level configuration.

Interesting idea, but how would you present it all to the user?

vBulletin clone cancer. I should know I contributed to it back in the day. It was basically just a bad re-write of the already awful vB 2.x.x php code, all my modifications for vB 2.x worked right out of the box after changing a few variables.

explicit guidelines for rules and what falls under them as it is decided that something is not allowed

if no reason is stated for why a rule exists volunteers and board owners can abuse rules out of context

Holla Forums has a slow moving tech board called /poltech/
why can't you make a anime oriented tech board called /atech/ or something
I bet theres lots of cool shit chat would come of it focused on tech related to animu
there is no total escape from Holla Forums though because then Holla Forums takes the opportunity to co-opt wherever Holla Forums isn't present and Holla Forums actually likes anime

nice Holla Forums related thread you made, very informal

I have a few more ideas, but I think this is where I'd start.

sadly this kills the creativity

In what way does it kill creativity? Right now (by the rules at least) you are confined to the topic of the board you post on, which is mainly for the benefit of the reader.
Sure, you can go off and create your own board, but then you might as well go and just pipe any content into /dev/null because no one will care or see it.

The global, tag-filterable list of threads along with a swift process for admins to add additional tags will prevent overcrowding of the tag-space and allow for tangential or more niche tag-topics to get some time in the sun by pairing them with more popular, usually broader tags. The tags/global list also have the benefit of making the formation of echo chambers a bit more difficult, and it also solves the ages-old issue of where to post intersecting topics e.g. (Video Game Technologies, Motor Sports, Anime Video Games, Nature Photography, etc)

There will of course be a Miscellaneous tag as well if whatever you are making a thread about doesn't quite fit in any other tag.

opposite

but my point was that shit mods and vols will see a thread marked for vidia that, as threads some times do, will veer off in a bizzare unexpected direction and become something amazing yet not on topic

like those threads that some times turn from vidia and such into politics of the middle roman empire and the geopolitical and economic issues they faced

mods and ols invariably have shitters amongst them doing things their way

Which boards?

The only new one was taken down in a fucking month since hebe moved there

I think he means imageboards

like NTTP chan and endchan etc

Agreed on the mods part. If you are going to design a tagging system, it must not rely on the human factor.

DOA

I'm talking about imageboards too, that ones aren't "new" at all

ok

Dead on the mods inevitably being shit.

It was probably a step up from WWWBoard.
scriptarchive.com/

I don't even know why people bother going there

It was but so was UBB 5.x.

Holla Forums is not a dead board retard

Sure thing

user some boards survive on 3 posts a day

That's retarded. There are only two effective ways to keep normies out without penalizing newcomers who know shit about tech: BBS and a private system as autistic as those private trackers.

there is also in group identity, we use that now and it's decent

If you want to make an extremely secluded community that will mostly only see new members from actual recruiting then it will work for that, but it won't grow in the way communities did years ago.

no

Better than 14+ posts per minute with shitty discussion where threads regularly devolve into meme spouting like boards on 4chan have gone toward.

You'd present it all to the user the same way you do now.
To view the children of a post, you go inside it.

I'm not sure op will see this but here's the problem with alt ibs and why you see so much bitching even on Holla Forums. 4chan is convient, its big its fast and there are lots of people there. Until another big thing happens and makes people leave 4chan you have the established communities that exist on ol' niggertits. Until something big happens and gets people to move there won't be the audience for a new ib. That's the intrinsic problem.Coming to ibs in 2005 I at one point really loved 4chan. But going to alt ibs they had diffrent idenities they weren't so lightning fast that I could keep up with the board. That was a big part of the attraction of communities outside of 4chan.

And now you have to offer something unique. Holla Forums for better or worse became the place where gamergaters went. And there are some really nice boards here. You have to affect a meaningful reason for people to leave to make your community work. If you don't do that it'll be one of the many dead ibs. I don't min slow, but dead is a diffrent thing.

Require the users to change the browser ID to something stupid, to filter out newfags and normalfags.
Can it be called 23 Chan? Please?

I think 8ch is a pretty good concept: Anonymous, no accounts, minimal rules, people can create their own board and moderate.

My biggest issue is the lack of cross-posting, which forces discussion into narrow channels like Holla Forums. I love Holla Forums don't get me wrong, but I bet of those 3k unique IPs, there's a whole bunch who love, say, nature. Yet /out/ is dead. Why? Because nobody ever looks at boards below top 10.

I tried doing my part and writing a thread monitor to keep up with slow boards, and providing RSS is also a good move on 8ch's side. But what we really need is cross-posting, just like back in Usenet days. Then you don't have this dilemma of do I post this on a niche board and never get replies even though it fits 100%, or do I post it on a barely related general board and get no attention because it's off topic? The same problem plebbit had - people overlook it because it's easy to say karma ruined plebbit, and it did, but even early on competition from r/pics and r/funny drowning out everything else was a problem. You can see similar stuff happening with v/whatever, in an environment where karmafaggotry is minimal.

reported

Byeeeeeeeeeeee

There's no point in kicking out all the newfags, just the normies that won't fit in.

OP here, while you're probably right, I think there's still place for a smaller, lower profile community. It would definitely be stupid to start one now since there isn't a demand yet, but like I said , I think the problem with all breakoff chans was that they were a protest against a single board, and did nothing to foster a regular chan community.

kek I haven't given much thought about a name or symbol, but "chan" definitely has to be in there. We could do 23, or use 4 again to hide behind the big one and create confusion. "desuchan.org" is unfortunately taken too, that would have been nice.

The concept is pretty great already, but maybe moot was onto something by not allowing custom board creation. It's so much harder to moderate: while going through the board list here recently I came across several apparently pro-pedo boards with the word "pedo" in the title.

This could be a great idea to access "hidden" boards. Like the gamer gate thing that got out of hand, a dedicated hidden /gg/ board could be made to avoid visibility and can only accessed by using a custom greasemonkey script

freech.net/

You're the sole reason this site turned to shit, you fucking retarded newfaggot.

How have I not heard of this before? Other than the poorly put-together frontend, this looks like a solid improvement to regular board software.

He's not wrong though.
I never got involved in gamergate, but to my understanding it started when left-leaning retards decided to invade Holla Forums's hugbox and tell them their games were "sexist" and needed to be "fixed".
Holla Forums was a mostly-contained stormfag hugbox until Moot decided to fuck with the entire board for a few days after it was found out he was dating someone from the GG debacle.

The left has become the new "moral police", replacing the old christian fundamentalists. Nobody likes moralist busybodies.

Why is it poorly put-together?

Thce css looks like shit. Performance is apparently much better though.

Looks minimalistic to me.

They're both sides of the same thing, you fucking retard.
While I'm not even "left" on the economic spectrum, at least Holla Forums's mods don't fucking ban you after you call them out for being retarded NEETs who don't know what the fuck they are talking about, with multiple facts backing you up.
You haven't seen anything until you've seen 8/pol/. Moot purposely drove all of retarded spergs to Holla Forums, six months after gamergate, with nothing more than a CSS change. That's how fucking braindead these retards are.
8/pol/ is Twitter's current efforts to create an even worse hugbox on steroids. If your post gets reported, the retarded mods look at your post history and determine whether you're fit for the hugbox or not. Sometimes they reveal post histories if it helps their narrative.

I never said 8/pol/ wasn't shit. Most moderation on this site has taken a pretty bad turn. I don't even know where hotwheels went.

what? how is Twitter involved?

The minimalism is fine, it's some of the margins and alignment that look off.

Does this look well put-together?

It's being worked on, though.

Analagous to Twitter's current efforts*

True enough. Someone needs to make a new twitter that isn't so greedy and focuses on stable development than hiring a fuckton and going public on the basis of a growing userbase.

So can we have a summary of all the ideas being considered OP?

Well in the dialup BBS days, communities didn't grow too fast. There's only so many new guys moving to your area code every year. But it was alright.

moot also removed the captcha from half's Holla Forums, flooding the board with spam.

Any community that grows faster than the assimilation rate dies. Have you learned nothing from the Eternal September?

Good luck finding a channel that hasn't moved to Discord.

I miss 4/prog/

The biggest takeaway is that the current model works pretty well, it only needs some modern adaptation.

- good, reliable board software that's been tested before pushing it out

- good moderation. This is obvious, but maybe improved comunication could help. Hotwheels disappeared, and the mods left behind don't have the same vision. On 4chan, the mods are in a tight position where they have to quickly curb any content that looks/might end up being illegal, since they have such high visibility. It seems that Moot left because it got too big for him, and Hiroshimoot is in deep debt due to lawsuits so he does anything he can for more money.

- limit the number of unique new IP addresses that can visit the site. There will always be a number of new IPs allowed to fit regular usage/growth, and it will adapt to the growth of the community. This could also be board-specific instead of site-wide.

- banning will also block your IP from even seeing the site. This could be softened to apply to only permabans/certain kind of bans, but either way it strongly discourages severe violations.

- phoneposting would be blocked by default. Longtime lurkers/early adopters of the site could access a mobile version of the site, and later it could be behind some kind of 'gold' account. The goal here is to allow the mobile site to regulars, but discourge normalfags who quickly visit from a link they see on facebook/reddit/etc.

- it shouldn't be a "protest chan" or too much of a "refugee chan". There should be some effort to start a regular chan community. The goal is to try to grow/keep a community like old 4chan, and avoid getting too much of the public eye. Old Holla Forums was awesome, but with the influx of new users, a lot of them used it while getting into real trouble with the law. That toned down the amount of shit the mods could let happen and gave the board too much publicity.

- with boards, there would be a middle ground between 4chan and Holla Forums's models. There would be a set of official boards, and a set of user-generated boards. It can't be as open as here, with the massive influx of illegal activity mods have to fight here. There could be visible boards and hidden ones, to name a few options; It can be developed and refined later.

- I'm on the fence with tags. They sounded pretty neat, but it adds a little too much structure to the board, and I can see flamewars erupting over people fucking with each other over them.

I'm not very comfortable with trying IP addresses to everything especially on an anonymous site, but there's not really any other good way to keep the place from being overrun. At the very least, they'll have to be obfuscated in some way, and no one (other than the site admin) should be able to differentiate new users from old ones.

and just for clarity, here's all my posts:

Fuckoff you reclusive faggot, some of us can't be at home all day.

It's a fucking stupid restriction anyway. I'll just set my phone's user agent to say I'm a desktop browser.

Still a normie filter though

or you could be a regular and never think about it

just check alexa for fun, and holy shit there's nearly twice as many phoneposters now

What's with the 2015 and 2016 jumps?

Cancer. You may provide the option for tripfaggot attention whoring if you really like but any sort of default identification is antithetical to the spirit and strength of anonymous discussion and stifles truly free expression.

If you're going to make a site like 8ch that allows for user-created and -maintained boards then two things are important:

-you have a principled impartial upper administration that shuts the fuck up and keeps the impression of favoritism for any particular topic or board to a minimum
-you need some quality toplevel feature to help people find boards and discussions they might like

the fappening

and the US elections. Trump has brought the most attention to the board yet, mostly due to the free speech

What's even worse is that there are 70% more connections per month now than there were in April of this year. I don't think 4chan can take another event similar to the recent election and survive. I'm somewhat curious as to how high the post rate on 4/pol/ is going to spike during the next terror attack or other major event as it managed to hit 10 posts per second on the night of the election. Their election general thread was getting 2-3 posts per second during that time and the archive page on 4chan passed 20 MB due to displaying tens of thousands of threads.

The 2014 jump was from GamerGate/fappening and the 2016 jump was due to the recent election.

OP back, I just came across some other chan that's fast and looks great too:

4zip.pw/chan/

No https and I don't know what board software it uses, but it looks like a really good alternative. The owner also has a fucking huge DESU archive.

Here's a great webm from there

4zip.pw/chan/

well, fuck me
disregard that i suck cocks

chiru.no is better than freech

I'd want a way to set a board to not bump threads unless there was an image attached to the post. For porn boards where people don't come to read the insightful posts.

IIRC moot said he dropped that shit because it screwed up caching.

The only way to keep the normies out is to ban them when they post normie shit. No amount of code or hostile culture will do it.

I come from an imageboard that you've probably seen being advertised and since Holla Forums took my idea, and got popular because I was down through the GG era

I think I'm in need of a new gimmick idea. any ideas for me? ;-;

Discord is a bloated piece of shit. Why is this thing popular?

This would be a nightmare if you have two mods of two different tags disagree on something.

Not him, but I would like to see things get to a slightly faster pace, maybe 20-35 posts an hour. 40 might be okay too because some posts might just be people typing "kys" as a reply raising the pph temporarily.

It would be better if we could somehow get the normies to go elsewhere so we could enjoy our animu image boards in peace. Every now and again I toy with the idea of just making a whole new HTTP protocol without all this bloated normie shit we have no.

Not everyone has a static IP.

This would mean giving up anonymity since it would have to track your IP activity over a course of a few months.

Me neither, but I agree I can't think of what else you could do outside of a whole new protocol. Something like more encrypted Telnet BBS.

You can't make a good huge imageboard. They all turn to shit. Here's my ideal imageboard

Besides that, everything else would be as regular. Maybe 4chan x like interface, but Holla Forums everything else. Except, you know, it'd work 50% of the time.

LAd

lmao at all this faux elitist shit
you aren't that good
8gag is a shitty place to be because of high standards low quality fuckwits like y'all

I think you'll find a 'low quality fuckwit' daily in the mirror.

im sure someday you will find someone who can appreciate just how much you "fit in", roleplayer

Ah yes, the perfect recipe for a lasting community. Learn from 7chan already, you stupid fucks.

I've got an idea: how about some impartial moderation whose sole focus is to keep a board on-topic? Hazing can be done by the community but the mods need to keep the fuck out.

And remember to advertise it in reddit

You don't need to advertise it anywhere, but you need to remember that everyone came from somewhere. Image board communities do not simply spring into being fully formed. You learned about this place from somewhere else and you learn about that place from yet another. Without new blood the only fate that ever awaits a community is to shrink until it dies. This is the fate reserved for every image board that lets elitism cloud all over judgment.

Remember that the point of hazing newfags has never been to drive them away; it's to mold them into the type of poster you actually want to interact with.

Yes, and the best way to do this is to give them free reign to shit the entire board with cancer and out-voice the native population.

it happens to every 4chan spin off.

you make a thread on 8/v/ and eight times out of ten the first few responses will be derail attempts from some autists that thinks the thread doesn't live up to their subjective idea of "quality".

pretty much

phd imageboard studies here watch out guys
lel

autists are the muslim refugees of image boards, they bring their strict sharia law everywhere they go and ruin things for the non autists.

No one is going to use your site if other people can see their IP.

Except with that idea you might as well make the post and sage/post buttons up and down vote buttons.

So basically giving the OP an option to post on multiple boards at once and having an overboard?

Mumble has those. Discord doesn't have profiles.

You can't see IP, but your can filter by IP. That's why you can only filter or unhide 2 at a time, so you never really know who that poster is.
Essentially

Really?

It's just a theoretical system
Just make it so you can't functionally add or subtract one at a time.
Perhaps make it so you can only add a poster to a filter if it's with the original post he was paired with in the filter.
So you can't add A without B, which it would automatically do everytime you tried to re add A or B. (without telling you if you selected a or b)

alright busting out the tripcode, blog post incoming.

It's tough testing a server for reliability, especially when scaling up. I know for a fact, 314chan can handle 262,144 posts in the same second (doing a bit of PHP/NGINX calculations I've seen online), bit I don't think that includes the bandwidth communicating between the software and the server ideally my scripts would work at 100% 100% of the time, but that doesn't work always.

Do you mean good leadership? Communication is definitely key. I've been running my site on the same domain(s) for almost 5 years of my life, and I've always tried to keep my communication lines open. Copypaste was doing a good job, but then he fell behind with work with 2channel and started communicating less and less.

That is not only tough to track server wide, but allots for a huge privacy hole. I don't want to track how many users are actually using my site. I could care less.

No-read bans are definitely an option (especially with spam, I fucking hate spam) but the negative I've found with bans is someone is going to always find a way around. The CP spammers that I encounter are always using Tor or public proxy servers so I literally cannot win.

Denying access to users is not a good idea. Remember, the idea is to have people use the community pool of imageboards, and not have them nationalized to one imageboard. A "gold" account idea is definitely something I thought of when I first started 314chan, but managing user accounts is just way too complex on the user side and server side. You shouldn't need to go though extra steps to post on an imageboard.

Like I was saying before, imageboard nationalism was a thing to be proud of when 7chan first existed. Now that a lot of people know that there are more imageboards that exist, it's now the imageboard owner's job to make sure their *chan stays relevant (it's been that way for a while, I've had trouble with relevance, because people always seem to finish the ideas I've had for an imageboard. See Holla Forums, and the short lived demochan [I still want to see the code how he implemented it, those were some great ideas])

That's the best way to go, if I'm totally honest. If there's a set period of 1-2 weeks out of the month (and if someone emails me if they are in need a community ASAP) that system can work. I of course want to keep the power of board management to the users, so I should be able to run legacy boards like Holla Forums, Holla Forums etc but if people want to run splinter/more focused boards, they're able to.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
You like you've had some shitty plastic surgery

I like to come into these threads to see if I can distinguish between which of you are trolling and which of you are actually mentally deranged lunatics.

Nice and best ones. I love that girl with that gorgeous hair the most though. I'd really love to cuddle and dig deep into that.