GPD

Any of you niggers got one of these? Considering picking on up to play random shit or just fuck around with, but want to see if any other anons have managed anything fun with it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d4t9Ys8wI6k
youtube.com/watch?v=XTSVysKUmXM
solid-run.com/intel-braswell-family/solidpc-q4-carrier-board/
kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever/description
youtube.com/watch?v=bhWTfATkg6w
youtu.be/lslcH-T1E0o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I do have some experience with Atom devices and I can tell you based on the specs that this can EASILY play things like Source Engine games as well as games like Fallout New Vegas. So if you like playing these games or modern games of comparable system requirements then there you go m8. You could probably play most Unreal 4 games too given they're not too demanding.

Why not just get a portable console?

Replaceable.

Really just want to play Doom or Touhou shit on the go without needing to lug a tablet/laptop about.

I have a Pandora. As far as gaming with the nubs, the d-pad, the shoulder buttons, the a/b/x/y, and the little display goes, it's not really a bad experience. Of course, I'm sure the GPD can do more recent games than the Pandora, which could easily mean a more cluttered interface, which would look bad on a little screen. Also, if it's coming with Win10, it probably comes with secureboot so you can't install GNU/Linux.

Nah, can install Linux, vids already up with it running (with varying issues here and there.)

no touhou on console

kys

I just want to know where I can buy it for the $330 price tag. It seems like it's sold out everywhere.

Would you count the PC-98 as a console?

it's like you learned everything you know about tech from Holla Forums

No games unless you only play weebshit/Nintendo, they're dead, weaker, can't be used as a regular computer, and are heavily locked down.

The PC-98's not even a console, it's a computer. It's just like how the Amiga and C64 are computers too.

I think he meant PGD

GPD? PGD? What are you even talking about, what's the full product name?

GPD Win.

Wonder if that can play DFO

This thing looks amazing. Looks like it can run up to the Dolphin emulator smoothly. How did I miss this? Are there any issues with it?

Things here and there. You'd be more fighting with Win 10 than any hardware issues it seems.

t. bill gates

Every time I see something like this I just have to wonder how can anyone type comfortably with such a small keyboard.

This site is filled with twelve year olds, you couldn't tell by the post quality?

Into the trash it goes.

You type with your thumbs, works reasonably well.

I'm still waiting for the Pyra. (It's not like there's an alternative)
youtube.com/watch?v=d4t9Ys8wI6k

I might consider one if it can run Linux. Any idea on how Touhou would run on it in Wine? It runs like shit on my Asus EEE with an old N270 Atom and I need to run it in Windows in order for it to actually be playable. God dammit why hasn't Zun at least GPLed the engine for the older games?

Natively or in a VM like how most people seem to run Linux on portable devices? If it can run it natively it could be cool.

It can. Issues may vary though mostly shit easily fixed.

Does the Pyra have any hope? The Pandora was shit in build quality (the fucking battery compartment).

user secureboot has been compromised so go check that out.

Good thing i'm so used to my N900 then.

Has anyone tried Deus Ex on the GPD?

Any more info on this shit? Linux, etc?

I have a bunch of handheld ARM devices and they are all shit. I mean, you just want to run something like Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn and they cant, even though a fucking ancient 486 could, because ARM. And even shit like quake doesn't run well on them, which again, would run fine on some old pentium. And yeah, you could run quake or doom with GLES acceleration on ARM, but only if you're running android, because the communities that develop shit for ARM only put in the work if they can sell it in a walled garden, as opposed to x86 shit where there's just tons of ancient shit that runs fine.

Looking for an x86 handheld that can run linux that preferably has some kind of GPU compatible with opengl and not just GLES

If somebody made an x86 handheld that was roughly as fast as a 1ghz pentium III with some modernish but shit GPU it would stomp any ARM based handheld when it comes to gaming because suddenly all of those old DOS games (which work perfect on small screens) and open source engines would be simple as fuck to get going. As opposed to the situation with ARM and Mali GPUs and all that shit where after most of a decade there's still not jack shit. You can buy some ARM handheld and although it can play youtube videos the gaming is basically commodore 64 tier.

Even outside of gaming, if you have some specific software need it's going to be ten times easier to get going (especially if you need to compile it) if it's x86

It's x86.

Yeah, but if it's a bitch to get linux running it's still garbage. I don't know why this is such a difficult device to make properly

You have to remember that its also Linux. Linux has horrible hardware support as it is on actual desktops. Yes you can probably get Linux to boot, but my experience with Linux on these Atom devices has been less than stellar. Missing wifi drivers, sometimes even missing acpi configs so mundane things like increasing the screen brightness don't work. Again, nothing terribly unusual for Linux, so its not really the fault of the architecture itself. This thing will boot any IBM PC compatible OS. But again, actually getting drivers up and running is a different story.

The Pyra looks really great on paper, but who knows when they start mass producing them. I share your concern about the hardware. There are so few developers and beta testers that something unforseen may slip through the cracks. If it hits the stores next year without issues it would be the #1 linux handheld and probably the #1 handheld for emulating & pirating. It's a big if though.

I have a Pandora and I thought it was all right. All I can say about the Pyra is that they'll be taking the lessons of Pandora and improving all kinds of manufacturing and design qualities.

youtube.com/watch?v=XTSVysKUmXM
Best there is that I know of.

it's a bitch to get a proper linux os running on anything

Pyra looks great but $600 price is a killer.

What do you think text editing would be like on this? I always wanted a pocket computer to write with. I currently use my phone as a little notebook but it's just not that great at it.

It's about as good as you're going to get on a handheld device. As if touchscreen keyboards on the devices that every motherfucker has are any better...

It wouldn't be fantastic, that's for sure. But it's not going to be on any handheld sized device. Maybe pair something with a keyboard that folds out to near-normal size?

So is it actually true that devices like this are going to become a thing of the past soon (x86 low power, mobile). Prices on this fucker are $400+ in reality but if Intel is ending Atom there might not be many more devices like this in the future (not sure why we never got more devices like this in the past, only thing I can find was some VIA shit that never happened)

What about building a handheld off of some SBC x86 shit?

This one is decently powerful but pricey (and exceptionally small), but what else is there out there?

solid-run.com/intel-braswell-family/solidpc-q4-carrier-board/

And another intel SBC, but it's not yet available (funded kikestarter, but still preorder state)

kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever/description

Atom CPU makes it a non-choice. 5.5" is a bit small, 7" and a better CPU would make it interesting. If you want to game then you might as well go with a phone and a bluetooth gamepad with a phone holder.

Modern Atoms are quad-core chips with out-of-order processing and Intel HD series GPUs. They outperform pretty much all high-end ARMs, what more can they fucking do without using a chip that needs active cooling and is a battery vampire?

If you have an atom based device that isn't unbearable slow then good for you. I have an atom based dual-boot tablet and it is a slow piece of garbage, specially in windows. The "quad core" atom chip in that one is worse that a five year old arm chip.

I don't know how the GPD acts when you use it, perhaps it's OK. I'm not risking it and there is no way I'm buying anything with an atom in it again.

There are at least a dozen handheld gaming devices for the pi and the pi zero that make use of 3d printed cases or old hardware.

youtube.com/watch?v=bhWTfATkg6w

Like those bluetooth keyboards they make for smartphones?

Yeah, looking for something that has regular hardware opengl support and not GLES which is useless garbage

Doesn't even have to be a fast gpu, it just has to have basic support for opengl and not GLES (whatever version of GLES) which has no more support outside of android apps than it had years ago

Apparently Windows 7 doesn't fucking work with it, so it's dead in the water unless you put up with 10.

GBA would have been a better case.

Linus did a video on this.
tl;dr it can "run" Arkham Asylum but it has questionable build quality.

youtu.be/lslcH-T1E0o

I was coming to say that. I would buy it for 200 dollars.

Has anyone got one? How is it?

No fucker's tried yet, so really Windows 7 could work. Is there any real reason of why it couldn't?

I'm close to buying one. when I get the money

I really don't understand why handheld devices like this insist on replicating the QWERTY layout. There's no way you're going to put your muscle memory to use typing on it the way you can type on a real keyboard, so what's the point? Envision a real layout designed for the size and form already.

Linux works on it however.

I've ordered mine, along with some accessories. i think it'll be a great device for emulators, light weight games, and steam in-home streaming.

but legit, its a toy, and if you want it for something other than that i'd suggest looking elswhere, i mean you might be able to do some kind of system administration or whatever on this thing but you would NEED an external keyboard for sure. and as for linux - it doesnt work OOTB, it takes a while to get everything working even thought everything is intel (i've seen so far a guy get wifi and such working, but no touch screen and no sound)