Why does Scott Snyder's Batman suck so much?

Exhibit A: Ten or so issues of Bat-Gordon being shown to be an incompetent moron, topped off by a final issue where Bat-Wayne comes back to fight Slender Man, er, Mr. Bloom in a giant mecha.

What the fuck happened to good Batman stories?

Those came to an end pretty much when Denny O'Neil retired

I don't know. I kinda liked Morrison's run with Dick and Damien. And Return of Bruce Wayne is pretty good too all things considered.

I found 90% of Morrison's run to be masturbatory crap

You know, I was going to disagree at first, but now that I think about it, you're right. After the 90's ended, Batman comics just went to shit. Hell, I'd say the fall began around the time Greg Rucka hopped on.

Morrison's problem is that he doesn't write Batman (or Superman for that matter) as actual character, but abstract concepts that represent some grand idea. It's one of the reasons, for example, why most of the emotional beats of All-Star Superman fell flat for me - in order for me to be invested in Superman's plight, he'd first have to have enough of a character for me to give a crap about him.

Denny O'Neil actually knew what he was doing. He had a, at that point, thirty year history in comics, writing for various publishers. He worked under Stan Lee, he was Daredevil's editor and in fact he's the one who fired Roger McKenzie so that Frank Miller could write the book. Even when he was getting old and had to defer a lot of his work to his assistants, there was a sense that he had a real vision for Batman.

The people who replaced him had maybe a tenth of the talent, experience or common sense and it really shows.

Look at all the 7's.

I think Wonder Woman was literally the only character that suffered under him.

His Batman was cool. His Superman was at least ok. His Green Lantern and Green Arrow is the definitive version of both characters to this day.

O'Neil is literally one of the rocks that the modern industry is built on and everyone knows it. That's why the CW can shit on comic books left and right but still give homage to him because he's that good.

Is there any writer that Wonder Woman DOESN'T "suffer" under?

Seriously, the Wonder Woman fandom is almost Steven Universe levels of batshit insane at times. I pity any writer that gets themselves into that clusterfuck.

George Perez, Bill Messner-Loebs, Brian Azzarello (even though he made her backstory retarded)

Silver Age Wonder Woman is fucking cool. Perez's run is also pretty cool even if it by design diverges from the Silver Age stuff. Azzrello's run is OK but by this point ok is considered to be phenominal.

It's not just him. Tom King (an otherwise good writer) is going to give us 25 issues of Bruce playing second fiddle to his super awesome OC Gotham Girl.

who the hell is Gotham Girl?

King really puzzles me. Snyder at least is generally kind of a shit writer, but King can actually write a decent plot, so I have no idea what the hell is happening to make him write such schlock now.

I can't speak to his work, because I've never read any of it, but I did read an interview where he said he'd basically be picking up where Snyder left off, which indicates to me that editorial might have something to do with the current direction.

was Azarello's run really that good. I saw the earlier issues and I didn't like it. Mainly the origin and the premise came off like baby's first Greek adventure story especially with Wonder Woman being Zeus' daughter.

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how shit most if not almost all canon (formerly or currently) Batman runs are. Like most of them don't make sense, turn into nonsense, get too similar, turn into pretentious shit, lately become more tumblrized, or even just get too grimdark for their own good.

Batman suffers from the fact he shares the same universe as other super powered beings. He can and has taken care of super powered villains but the more you invest yourself in his lore, the more you find it retarded.
It's like Gotham has this invisible force field that prevents any interference from the outside world.
The whole "Batman doesn't want other super heroes in his turf" thing is something that really irks me to no end. Most of all since some of his villains are pretty international (Al'Gul for example).
A recurrent theme that I've seen people bring up is how Gotham city as a whole serves as some kind of twisted therapy for Bruce to fight his inner demons. As poetic as that sounds it's not a good thing in my opnion.

Why was Court of Owls so well embraced amongst the normies?

The Court is quite literally Illuminati for retards, except not even a quarter as cool as the concept should still be.

Shit, now that I think about it, ever since Morrison's run, Batman seems to fight secret societies every other week (Leviathan, the Court of Owls, that shit with Mother in Batman & Robin: Eternal, those Colony faggots from Tynion's run with their Arkham Knight knock-off army, etc), whereas before it was mostly just the League popping up every now and then.

This. You know what arc came out when O'Neil bailed?

Bruce Wayne Murderer/Fugitive.

The problem isn't that he shares a universe with super-beings. Batman has been friends with Superman since 1952. The problem is that DC hires fans instead of writers.

The result is a terrible mess of fan-fiction that's fundamentally broken, constantly immature, and disgustingly pretentious.

Comics written by "fans" with movies made by people who don't understand it at all. Beautiful.

Snyder in charge of not ruining comics he's not even on.

There's an interview about it. He's pulling a Jeph Loeb. His grandmother died so he's subjecting all of his to his DIY grief counseling.

So in King's current arc on Batman, he devotes the first six issues to a pair of superheroes, Not-Superman named Gotham and his not-Supergirl sister Gotham Girl. They undergo some procedure that gives them generic Superman powers but drains their life when used ala Spawn. Her brother goes nuts and pushes his powers to its limits taking out the Justice League (off panel) and eventually having to be killed by his sister.

So now Gotham Girl recklessly uses her powers to be a hero despite knowing that they'll kill her because she has kind of a death wish. Also she's going to get her head shaved and is being hooked up with Duke, the not-Robin from that We Are Robin mini (surprise surprise, Gotham Girl is a blonde white woman and Duke is a black guy). King's run is more about Gotham Girl than Batman, despite writing a fucking Batman book.

So he BLACKED the comic book stand-in for his dead grandmother? And I thought Geoff Johns using Stargirl as a stand-in for his dead sister was fucked up…

If I ever ran a comic company, first order of business will be screening writers to make sure they won't pull this weird dead relative shit. It's fucked up, disrespectful to the dead, and frankly just gross at times when you think about it.

What the fuck have I just done?!

I see you've just encountered Snyder's acclaimed writing.

It's ALL like that.

that explains why their designs look so familiar. Seriously though DC really needs to get their shit together. Or at least with King have him go through actual therapy for his problems instead of projecting it into his shitty comic. And how the fuck does Gotham beat all of the Justice League.

Jesus Christ how horrifying.

This is one of the many stupid things I hated about Death of the Family. I heard his Superman Unchained story is pretty mediocre. Judging from his batman work I'll assume that Superman Unchained is mediocre.

Death of The Family is nothing but stupid things.

Snyder's entire Batman run is edgy, retarded shit.

I haven't read much of Snyder but from what I've seen he has a tendency to give dumb explanations for things that were either obvious or didn't need to be explained. Like Joker and Batman's identity, it was done so much better in A Death in the Family (also fuck Snyder for ripping off that title). Or how Joker survives seemingly impossible shit. Snyder's explanation for it is 'He's immortal guise'.

You know, when Rob Liefeld and Scott Snyder got into that Twitter fight and Rob Liefeld said that Snyder's Batman selling well had absolutely nothing to do with Snyder himself and everything to do with the fact that it's fucking Batman, I thought that was a bit deep.

It's only years later that I realise he was absolutely right.

Why is bats such a fucking cuckold?

Glad to know I'm not the only one who was fucking annoyed with Death OF the Family's title.

Probably could have gotten away with calling it the Face/Mask of Evil instead of being retarded.

fucking this. I have a shit ton of Bendis.
why? I was a casual and he was on Avengers. I didn't know who Bendis was but I recognized Iron Man and Cap'n

Bruce Wayne's other secret identity is that of Trudeau.

It annoys me for the same reason these dumb remakes with the same title as the original annoy me - people not in the know will confuse it with a much better story

Is Joker crying?

No?

Looks like some weird coloring in some attempt to contrast his eyes from his face.

Johns' is fine though. He didn't make the character super special and awesome, just made a nice, likable character in tribute to his sister. Better than the last 10 years of Loeb's career or Spawngirl.

Just a reminder that Snyder wrote (not even reading into anything, he's outright said it I believe) Joker as being in love with Batman.

Your mistake was not picking up detective comics

What's the deal with DC changing their logo? Did they realise the one that looked like a sticker being peeled off sucked shit?

what are you talking about?

DC have a new logo

well to be fair it was Loeb who started the whole Joker in love with Batman in Long Halloween.

Ok I see what you are talking about now, also the first one is better

That's the new one. The one on the right's the previous one, which I always said was shit. Clearly someone high up in DC felt the same way

How is Detective? I like the idea of good guy Clayface but I fucking hate Harper and Tynion seems to love her.

Harper Row hasn't shown up at all so far

Frank Miller started it even earlier with TDKR, although that one was more of a subtext kinda thing.

Clayface being a good guy is a shit idea. It's the mark of a writer who has no clue how to write a villain, so they just make them an anti-hero or an outright hero.

Also, I really wish I could give two shits of a fuck about Tynion's run on Detective, but so far it's just bland, generic crap.

How does Brian Azarello fare in comparison to Scott Snyder?

The Joker in TDKR was institutionalized for decades without any form of mental stimulation, so his affection for Batman makes sense given his condition. Same with murdering a shit ton of people.

Like the stuff in Batman V Superman, it's just another thing "true fans" take out of context because they have no real understanding of the work.

He's just a little less edgy than Snyder. I consider him a poor man's Ed Brubaker.

That's actually my favorite scene from that entire arc Alright, the scene where Batman and Robin raided the Taliban camp in search of Lady Shiva was top tier for pure unfiltered hatred.

you know I actually want to see an elseworld's story where Batman kills the Joker and loses his shit and how the Batfamily, Commissioner Gordon and the Cops have to deal with it.

I remember a episode of JLA where Batman and others go to a alternate universe and batman is a Fascist dictator. I want Batman to kill literally every threat to him and become God-Emperor of Mankind.

would he have to fight the Justice League in this story?

Because he would eliminate all threats.
I could be a series getting progressively more crazy.

That would be interesting user. I was thinking it would start in Gotham where he kills all the criminals then the Justice League would come after him and he would have to fight them and maybe deal with Luthor.

In that pic is the monsters hands covered in fishnets?

Nope, that's literally what his hands look like.

Holy shit, that would be like the best Elseworlds ever.

The part where Batman leads a squadron of Bat-Marines to purge the ring-peddling heretics of Oa with a righteous fury would be worth the price alone.

Pretty sure it's been done

what story was it then user?

Batfleck killed people and is the most efficient Batman.

Yet Joker and Harley are still alive despite killing one of his sidekicks.

Sup.

You sure that's not Injustice?

I dunno if I have the same issue, but I try reading All-Star Superman and I just can't feel anything. It works for the 'ideal' of Superman, I guess, but Superman in the story just seemed to so inhuman.

I gotta shill Birthright, because it did a great job making Clark a person with feeling and issues just like everyone else, on top of the drama of being Superman.

The ideal, you'd think, would be fans who are also talented writers. That's where DC and Marvel flounder, I think, but for opposite reasons. DC hires fans, but Marvel hires people that don't really respect the history of their characters. A healthy respect with a desire to try something new can result in great things, obviously.

Is Batman the Robot Devil? Why'd he feel the need to tell Joker he hates him? Why's he being so open with his emotions?

This Batman is pretty fucking gay.

Also doesn't have the balls to kill Lex when he's got him at a disadvantage. His efficiency is offset by him being a dumb hypocrite

Superman/Batman arc #3 'Absolute Power', for one

I hated Birthright. For making Superman a vegan pussy if nothing else

To each their own I guess

Slightly related, is Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing run any good, or is he just an all around bad writer on everything?

Not to mention that god-awfully stupid gun shop scene, and basically the entire finale with the fake alien invasion.

Birthright also hits strongly on one of my biggest problems with Superman comics, which is that the writers make him into an incompetent idiot so his supporting cast can seem useful, particularly Lois.

Strangely enough, his non-Batman and non-Superman stuff is actually pretty decent. It's the former two that he has issues with.

so any of his good work you'd like to recommend?

American Vampire is pretty good.

thanks user.

What exactly is wrong with Snyder's Batman? I loved Court of Owls, I liked a lot about Death of the Family and I enjoyed Zero Year (though I think that's because I'm a sucker for different takes on Batmans early years). I really don't get why 8/co/ hates him so much.

Court of Owls was basically just plagiarized off of Batman R.I.P., Death of the Family was mostly just a botched attempt to salvage the shitty opening storyline from the New 52 launch of Detective Comics, and the New 52 fucked Batman's continuity as a whole by time compressing everything. No comment on Zero Year, I stopped pirating Snyder's run after Death of the Family.

Capullo/ Snyder Batman best Batman.

I don't care what you say.

Holla Forums is snobby. Complaining about Batman while most likely still hyping Miller-Batman and fapping to Loud House baby sex at the same time.

Zero Year had the best Riddler design imo. He was just some nerdy douchebag mixed with Al Gore.

What I never got:

If Joker was the pale man all along and the Red Hood leader, he should have known Bruce even before leaving his card, meaning this page is useless. Am I wrong here?

So Joker is the Red Hood leader and falls into the chemicals and becomes Joker, right? Did Bruce even find out about that? If no, then Harley appearence in the Red Hood costume in Death of the Family makes no sense.

Overall, I still like it, despite some stupidity.
Like that Superman is allergic to the supernatural and almost gets rekt by a random filler demon, almost causing a disaster if Batman didn't stop it. Overall, Superman seems more like an idiot who can easily be used as a weapon by anyone.

Also, is there an issue showing where Joker infects the Justice League before Endgame? I'd love to read that.

I thought too, at first. But since Joker fakes most of the shit he does for shits and giggles, it actually takes away the edge.

And the part where he actually goes through with his plan BEFORE Batman appears? Good one.

That's the point of his weakness to magic. Because there's nothing that would make the collective worlds superhero's shit themselves like if Superman was possessed by Trigon or if he was controlled by magic.

I understand the point behind it, but isn't that a huge nerf considering the DC universe is full of supernatural beings?

Superman isn't all powerful in DC, despite what some think. He's still flawed and has some major weaknesses that can be taken advantage of if the villain knows about them.

Superman's exactly as vulnerable to magic as Batman is. Unless somebody's using magic to throw meteors and lightning bolts, in which case it's much better to be Superman

Does nobody worry that Batman will get possessed by a demon and use all his money to crash the economy? Does Batman have Bat-Wizard Repellent is his utility belt?

That would actually be awesome. Someone manipulating Batman into destroying the economy.

Like what keeps happening with Tony Stark, except interesting (comic Tony Stark is a dumbass).

That's an interesting idea actually, and not one that's been used yet.

The sypnosis sounds awful. I thought of a comic where Batman kills all of his villians like a slasher villian, which would be awesome. But instead, wtf.

Doesn't he kill them in the comic Arkham Asylum though?

you mean Arkham a serious house on serious earth? No I don't think so. Though the idea of Batman killing his villains slasher style is interesting. I want to see how his sidekicks would react to that.

I haven't read R.I.P., would you mind pointing out the similarities?
Sounds to me like it wasn't entirely his fault, then. Also, why do you think it was botched?
Now, I totally agree with you here, but I think that can be attributed to bad editing rather than Snyder as a writer.
Fair enough.

He's kinda rough to them, thats why I asked, but yeah he doesn't.

Yeah I'd like that too, Red Hood would probably compliment him. The Joker would mock him. Red Robin would probably fight him.
Yeah how about Batman fighting to the death against him at the end and losing?

Well here's your answer, OP. People like these are enabling his shit.

Batman is a moron who doesn't know the difference between killing and murder

Ah, a sandnigger. Good day, sir.

I don't feel this is actually all that much of a problem I mean look at Snake compared to that he somehow is can be viewed as in unquestionably charge of said super powered beings.

I feel the character needs some retooling, for example he should go back to having multiple suits that he can change into when given the necessity, even though that would certainly come off as a lot more 'trying to sell toys' than past incarnations of the character. But it could give some interesting tension if he happened to be caught off guard, say coming across Solomon Grundy when he's in a sneak suit and not some Superman Buster armor.

What was I going for here?

sage for doublepost

How about he just wears one suit, the Ironman suit. Disregard for a moment that Ironman wears multiple suits, and draw your attention to the fact that Batman cannot, in an average appearance, fly or cover his face or even not have big pointy ears on his head, or he's not Batman. He has to throw little boomerangs instead of shooting a ray gun set to stun. He can't even ease off and do mission control or something. So basically you can't fix this, sorry.