PC as a Space Heater

I have an aging "gaming pc" that I'd like to use to produce heat and cryptocurrency for the winter.

Brief specs:
i5-2500k
GTX 480
8GB ram

I wouldn't be terribly sad if any components bite the dust.

I'm thinking I can save money by turning down the HVAC (runs on natural gas) use the PC to heat the room I use the most.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Which cryptocurrency should I mine?

Other urls found in this thread:

nerdalize.com/
pugetsystems
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Search up what's best to mine on nVidia, then go with that. Most cryptocoins are optimized for AMD GPUs or ASICs.

fugg, id's genius.

Shit, just close your door and crank your system temp to 50C or higher. I guarantee you'll never need to use central heating again.

Of course that's implying that you'll use less electricity than if you used a space heater. Which you won't; you'll use far more for the same heating effects.

nerdalize.com/
There is company that does something similar.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

What do you mean user? I thought that if you used a computer for heating purposes instead of something designed for the task you were pretty much guaranteed to use more energy, right?

Energy can't disappear, so all the energy the computer uses has to go somewhere. It ends up as waste heat. Where else would it go?

Noise :^)

Then why is the universe contracting?

Checkmate atheists

Well, yes, but most of the energy is used the power the device right? Not to mention there is more to power. Whereas a space heater it's just coils.

I think I'm just not getting it.

Energy is never consumed. It's just converted to a less useful state (with more entropy).

After the energy is used it still exists and is emitted as waste heat. Where else would it go?

Alright. I got you now. But one last thing: do the metals in a computer conduct heat as well? Does that even matter?

>pugetsystems .com/labs/articles/Gaming-PC-vs-Space-Heater-Efficiency-511/
Here's a decent article on the matter. WARNING: GOOGLE CAPTCHA

Decently. It very much does matter, because the ability to get rid of heat also depends in it.

Feels good to live in a 280 year old greystone townhouse,

I think last year someone made a similar thread, he apparently lived under a staircase harry potter style.

I have an AC in my room fam

Heaters are designed to use energy to produce heat. Computers are designed to use the energy efficiently for calculations. More efficiency, less waste heat. However if you were going to leave your pc on 24/7 anyway you might as well use this to your advantage in the winter.

What you want is an oil heater.

While you are correct, electric heating wastes fuel if you are getting electricity from a gas or coal plant and is thus not very economical. Think about it: you are turning chemical energy into heat energy (some lost to entropy) and then turning that into electrical energy (more lost to entropy). If you can cut out that last step, more of the energy in the fuel will end up going towards its intended function instead of dissipating. As OP has gas heat, he is probably better off just using that.

And yet coal and oil powered generators are always on and are always generating electricity anyway

I have a similar setup as OP, what's the consensus? Worth it?

Those things smell like ass. They're useful, but awful smelling.
Well, the one I had was.

based

Depends on what you want - do you want a PC which is going to use a variable amount of power (unless you're running a benchmark all night) or do you want something that's going to have a more or less constant draw, because it's designed to, which will keep your room at a more constant temperature?

I'm going to use my computers to seed anime and shit and just have their base level of activity heat generation take the edge off of the cold - not going to run furmark for 8 hours straight and kill my components.

They shouldn't smell of anything, it's either leaking (unlikely) or you're just disgusting and have shit splattered over it

The one I had was from the early eighties.

Must feel pretty bad not being able to steel yourself against the cold and work out hard-core in the blinding heat.