John McCain is an idiot

McCain said that in order to “preserve democracy” you must have a free press. He says that without it he’s “afraid we would lose so much of our individual liberties over time.”

“That’s how dictators get started,” McCain added in a clip of the interview released on Saturday.

“They get started by suppressing free press,” the Senator responded asked if he was referring to Trump’s tweet.

McCain added that “the first thing that dictators do is shut down the press.”

“I’m not saying that President Trump is trying to be a dictator, I’m just saying we need to learn the lessons of history,” McCain said in the NBC interview.
——————————————

His problem is that he doesn't see that the press is not free NOW. He doesn't see that the half dozen liberals who own 90% of the American media are directing what gets published and how it gets reported in order to advance the liberal agenda. McCain does not see that as being stifled press, he considers that to be a free press.

He is an idiot.

so interesting…

why don't you fuck back to your hugbox?

Technically he is correct.
Believe it or not, Fox News, for isntance, puts up the news they want, nobody is forcing them. They genuinely believe and support everything they present.
They are free press, just too stupid and conservative.

You ever stopped to think what conservatives do when faced with a candidate or person they don't agree with? Well now you know
It's not like it's the first person to be badly represented by right-wing media just because he\she isn't favorable to their own agenda.
It's not that the media likes Hillary Clinton, they just believe she'd be a better alternative and Trump isn't an alternative at all.

You are worried about that shit when all it boils down to is people reporting what they want, biased by their own beliefs and perception, not some master hand dictating what they do.
You should be worried about someone taking the opportunity to actually do what McCain said and suppress the media from actually reporting whatever the fuck said person doesn't want public.

But of course, you're a Holla Forumsyp, you don't believe people have free will and make decisions on their own. It's always DA JOOS dictating what goes around and everyone else is a sheep that you, moral guardian of the universe, must shepherd through the Valley of Communism.
Get fucked.

Free press is only important as long as they work for you.

Yea fuck liberals. Everything wrong with this country is their fault.

fukken saved

that's the problem, our press has been completely biased in what the report on, they have fabricated news stories for years, think back to the article of the
elite hacking group known as anunehmoose making vans explode
the press is supposed to deliver truth and remain unbiased in their reporting, they have failed in doing so
I'm sure the dictator he was referring to is Hitler, because when do they ever bring up other dictators? Well when Hitler was democratically elected, he passed
laws that made "defeatist news" illegal, germany was rife with defeatist news articles and radio broadcasts keeping the german people in a constant state of
despair much like what our own media has been for at least as long as I can remember.
Every day we are bombarded with articles of murders and rapes and horrible atrocities to keep us in fear of venturing beyond our own doors, and the situation
never got better, only when Trump started chanting the mantra "Make America Great Again" did the media attempt to backpedal and say "but America is already
great! we don't need to change anything!" while continuing to pedal their articles of doom and gloom.
Every article published by every major news outlet was defeatist against Trump, as an attempt to sway the voters to Hillary, if they could convince there was no
doubt their candidate would lose then surely they would vote for the other party, but they couldn't convince anyone.
Fuck 'em. Sue their asses.

Yes the media sucks.
But who owns the media nowaday$?
Probably the same people who own the libs and conserva-fags.
But remember, the most important thing is that what we watch and listen to the media that completely reaffirms onur beliefs, no matter how crazy they are. And everyone else who contests our point of view is a gay liberal cock fag communist and we need guns to protect ourselves.

That's what's wrong with the world, not whatever bullshit any of you are talking about in this thread.

Too bad commiecuck! You're leftwing media has hit rock bottom in views lately and you're the ones that are going to get fucked. Now go castrate yourself you fucking cuck.

Not state-owned in any official or unofficial capacity, doesn't cater its reports to please the government out of fear of retaliation = Free press.

Also you're full of shit if you think CNN and MSNBC are liberal

Uh, yeah. We actually do, though. Maybe not now, maybe not this year, but eventually you may find yourself in a situation where you regret not having a gun. Danger finds you whether you want it to or not, and you're a retard if you aren't at least prepared to defend you and yours.

free means what in your statement, exactly?

They are you fucking retard. They've been funding hillary's campaign from the beginning. Not only that they've been pulling all the stop to try to smear trump from day one with fake news/blatant propaganda. Of course there's no point in arguing with you retarded communists. Also, is that all you retards are capable of? Is raiding on Holla Forums of all places? You're pathetic and quite retarded to think shilling here does anything. You're pissing in an ocean of piss and you're to retarded to notice. It's almost like you're completely blind to all opposing viewpoints/information that passes through your numbskull. All it takes is for you to take your bananas out of your ears and actually listen to people that you otherwise don't like to see that you'd probably agree with them on many things. But instead you bask in your own ignorance and refuse to listen to others. You're a fucking sjw. It doesn't matter how much you idiots like to say that, "we're not sjws, only so and so are". But is complete bullshit. All you fuckers do is call other people sjws that's basically it.

nice buzzwords fag

Not an argument.

his post really confused me since cnn in particular has always been state tv and was created to be such. when he said its not liberal maybe he means it has no "liberal" qualities like how the democrats don't
likehow republicans aren't conservative but they both just spout wedge issues etc

McCAIN?!

The problem with this, despite how good it sounds, is that the press is not supposed to print what they "believe". They are supposed to print the facts.
That is, what can be, and has been, incontrovertibly proven. It is not the job of the press, although it has been the trend for decades, to print opinion of any sort unless it is clearly identified as such.

Polls aren't proof. Interviewing the man on the street is not proof. Skewed stats or figures handed to you by someone are not to be taken as proof unless it can be demonstrated that the stats and figures are reliable and true. Just saying that Company X is going bankrupt because Company Z snuck you some of Company X's secret documents is not proof. Company Z might be a subsidiary of Corporation F which is trying to buy Company X, and the info could be a deliberate plant.

The point is, news media has become an unapologetic propaganda tool for both the left and the right, and nobody trusts anything that is said anymore because the press is NOT free to speak the truth. For the most part they are not even allowed to pursue the truth. Look at your local news website. What do you see? I'll bet you $100 what you see is a parroting of whatever police report they get and an image that some reader sent off their cellphone rather than an actual reporter going out and discovering facts for themselves. That is NOT journalism, that is the exact thing that McCain is referring to when he says dictators shut down the press. He doesn't mean stop publishing, he means stop publishing anything that is factually meaningful. And OP is right, that is what has already happened.

The only thing OP was wrong about is that he implied that it is only happening by the left. It most certainly is being done by the right as well, and your example of Fox news is a good one to show that.

the mainstream press doesn't reflect your views, user? is that your whine? it's unsurprising, given how marginal your views are. in a free market for information, the supply tends to fulfill the demand. there is very little demand for content confirming your views because your views are quite obviously the product of a poor mind and a poorer soul. nearly nobody agrees with you.

And this is why "reddit space" meme is stupid, because sometimes a line break helps.

It's "your", not "you're" in that specific sentence.
And since I own no media, I'm sure you're not talking about me there.

Regardless of that bout of retardation on your end, left wing media is doing terribly because it doesn't inform at all. At best, they confirm whatever bias the viewer had, but why watch TV for that when you have youtube?
For instance, MTV lost popularity because it's more about "da message" than about music (and it wasn't even good music anyway)

Guess what happens to right-wing media when they do the same? When they prefer to make up some story that's easily debunked later or when they don't report the things people know are happening but see in no media channel?
The same that happens to left-wing media: it loses it's purpose.

Keep playing the partizan card all you want, in the end both sides make the same mistakes because it's never about learning from past mistakes, it's about "not being the other guy" without noticing how much effort is being made into confirming the horseshoe theory.

Nice persecution complex there mate. That Holla Forums paranoia really fucking up those neurons.

Just because they assault Trump every day of the week, does not mean at all that they are liberals and even if they speak highly of Hillary, that doesn't mean they are liberal either.

Did you knew that a lot of people voted Trump despite not being republicans or conservatives? They just saw the other option and considered it absolutely monstrous.
I'd wager it's the same for most of the media that sided with Hillary and still goes after Trump. It's not that they are liberals, they just hate Trump that much.

Besides, there's another factor here nobody is taking into account. Media is still a business, their goal is to publish what sells. And it just so happens that a fuck load of people, especially the ones that still see TV, don't like Trump at all.
This isn't the media picking a side, it's just the media pandering.

For all the talk I often see about marketing and shills, you faggots sure are dumb if you can't notice something this easy.

I agree with you, that is indeed what the media is supposed to be and it's not what it currently is.
I believe the problem is a matter of support, namely financial.

Of course they could print the objective truth and they should do so. But if that means losing a great share of their subscribers, that means losing money, losing employees that have to be fired, losing trips to cover more news or equipment maintenance.
Journalism as it currently exists doesn't seem to be very well sustainable because the truth doesn't sell as much as controversy or confirmation.
Like I said, this "the media is against Trump" is most likely bullshit. Just them trying to pander so they get the biggest audience.
I mean, compare the audience of Alex Jones to CNN or The Young Turks.

They will end up destroying themselves when they grow too big and people start looking for the actual truth instead of entertaining more bullshit. If anything, "internet reporter" will most likely replace them. Just some faggot with a youtube channel covering a very specific field of news, so you can pick the few faggots you're interested in.
They get very little expenses that ads can pay very well and are free to cover whatever their audience is interested in.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason there's so many people fighting for control over Youtube.

pretty much this

In the past year CNN's hired Cory Jewawandowski and Rick Motherfucking Santorum, and they still refuse to call Trump, Spicer, and Conway liars when they flat out lie. They give the Trump administration way too much benefit of the doubt and respect for a liberal news organization.

Plot twist: Hillary's no bride of Trotsky herself.

NBC/MSNBC hired Megyn Kelly and Greta Van Susteren. While they're both too moderate for me to agree with, I can at least stomach seeing them on TV. And if Greta's cool with Rachel she's cool with me.