I am building a permanent image hosting solution in which everyone running PC/Mac/Linux can chip in to protect evidence...

I am building a permanent image hosting solution in which everyone running PC/Mac/Linux can chip in to protect evidence from deletion.

Setting up IPFS is a bit of a pain in the ass, but once its running it's pretty reliable.

Can you download IPFS from ipfs.io/docs/install/ and run "ipfs init" then "ipfs daemon" after? It should spew something about successfully listening on a bunch of local ports, attached to your local (loopback) interface, 127.0.0.1.

127.0.0.1 is a private IP that is unique to your computer. The IPFS daemon must run on your computer for this address to work.

After starting the IPFS daemon, this URL should work:

127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/QmXJ1NF8ee6h3f1Faj3Y8gTfqqrR4RV2HjaKJsuuRg1kjC

Here is the same URL, except with a public HTTP gateway. Note: this gateway could be compromised at any time, which is why I encourage you to run your own IPFS nodes (hence, 127.0.0.1)

gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXJ1NF8ee6h3f1Faj3Y8gTfqqrR4RV2HjaKJsuuRg1kjC/

Let me know if it works or if you run into any issues.

Other urls found in this thread:

gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmPgjTQQpZgrbGz6dz9WyHgRWiTqku6pLkxXjB78hJqqbx
127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/QmPgjTQQpZgrbGz6dz9WyHgRWiTqku6pLkxXjB78hJqqbx
127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/KEY_GOES_HERE
github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/pull/2634
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I downloaded this image and I am hosting it on IPFS if you are interested in this technology, here is the address:

gateway.ipfs.io/ipfs/QmPgjTQQpZgrbGz6dz9WyHgRWiTqku6pLkxXjB78hJqqbx

If you run the IPFS daemon on your own machine, you can tap into the IPFS network from your browser as follows:

127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/QmPgjTQQpZgrbGz6dz9WyHgRWiTqku6pLkxXjB78hJqqbx

Please help bump if you care about internet freedom

Bump

Bumping

Bump?

This sounds really cool, is the protocol encrypted and does it hide your traffic like Tor does?

I don't think IPFS is engineered to hide your traffic. The main selling point is that it is not a single point of failure. Many people can have copies of any particular media.

The benefit of this approach is performance. Protocols like Tor are slow as molasses.

So a site in IPFS is hosted at multiple places?

so, like Freenet but just for pictures?

Many of the use cases of IPFS demand a high performance transport and do not require anonymity or privacy. And yes, there are some cases that do– for those, special transports and routing systems are how similar guarantees could be achieved. but most IPFS nodes will not operate that way.

Other important semantic differences include:

IPFS does not mandate that nodes store content they do not explicitly request. (protocols/apps layered on top of ipfs could, like filecoin.io or a "Paper-like" offline cache)
In some (simplest) configurations of transport + routing, IPFS nodes connect directly to exchange objects.
IPFS is a high performance, general purpose authenticated datastructure transport, not just a posix file transport.
IPFS has SFS-based PKI naming
IPFS has a bittorrent-inspired data exchange
IPFS has pluggable transport and routing systems
IPFS has a large plumbing tool-chain like git, and many application/service modules.
A main use case of IPFS is to be used as a database.
Think of IPFS as being compared to HTTP.

Each end user hosts an IPFS endpoint, and you can choose what media you want to host. You don't have to host anything if you don't want to. However to access media on IPFS you need to run the IPFS daemon and call IPFS objects like the following:

127.0.0.1:8080/ipfs/KEY_GOES_HERE

Look, this doesn't have to be complicated.

If you want to host media and let multiple people share the burden of keeping that media alive, IPFS is the ticket.

In light of all the recent image host takedowns, IPFS can act as a full replacement for traditional image urls.

This doesn't mean IPFS is limited to just images. IPFS can host anything. But I'm keeping things simple here.

For example, replace KEY_GOES_HERE with this:

QmXJ1NF8ee6h3f1Faj3Y8gTfqqrR4RV2HjaKJsuuRg1kjC

This is an image I am hosting on my computer.

Thanks for explaining,
I'll check it out, sounds really promising

Let's keep the ball rolling, because this is the next generation of media dissemination. No longer in the hands of individual actors (traditional server hosts), but now free for anybody to mirror.

That said, a traditional host can choose to be the primary seed for any particular media, but other users can chime in and also help keep the boat afloat at their discretion.

Once I upgrade my internet, I plan to make my entire games drive available via IPFS. The way I read it though; I'm going to need another drive for storage space for the "blocks", so that it's available to the network. Is this accurate?

Looks like that is correct unfortunately. I have not experimented with large media.

github.com/ipfs/go-ipfs/pull/2634

OK… OK… explain what this is for dumbies. Because I don't have a clue what this is.

Bump

I'll just keep watching the sales then.

It's a more direct way to share files. Anybody that publishes a file (see as an example) has a key generated. People that download the file that the key points to also have it saved to their computer, so if the originator of the file is offline, the file can still be downloaded (unlike torrents where somebody that downloaded it all has to stay online or it can't be shared anymore). These keys can also point to directories, where people can choose what to download.

I read some crazyness about integrating it into the GUI, that way you can browse your favorite directories like they were local directories, but I'm not autistic enough to try that yet.

You look up things on the Internet with keys which are more like sentences instead of how its done now, which is like google.com/whatever

BUMP

it works

proof - k9

fuck off retard

the only way it's slow is latency wise and even there it's only 300ms max. fuck off retard

as usual noone can explain why use this when Freenet already exists. This is a completely useless explanation. What the fuck is SFS? Why would I want anything PKI related? All I hear is docker git blockchain bittorrent .io. The word authentication is absolutely meaningless. For instance, what's the document format of choice? Let me guess, there's none, so people just host HTML files. Then how do we authenticate an HTML file? Does the root HTML file link to other HTML files, images, videos, etc only by hash? That would guarantee integrity, but provide us with no authorship information. If I can't see who the fuck wrote the article *from the web browser*, the system is complete garbage, just like Freenet (but worse because it's some hipster .io shit). The link may even contain authorship info, but I have to open it in an external tool because the web browser does not support such a feature. This is retarded and can fuck off. And when I say authorship, I mean the cryptographic identity of the author, such as his public key, not some bullshit answer from X.509 or some other PKI system. If the author is 41bab51b6b, and i told the browser that 41bab51b6b=>Joe, then every time I subsequently view data authored by 41bab51b6b, the browser should indicate somewhere such as the URL bar that this is authored by Joe.

and by 41bab51b6b, I really mean something sufficiently long, like 256-bit hash or the full public key itself. And by web browser, I mean a new browser built from scratch and not this insecure bullshit we are using to talk right now. At the end of the day we can see that something like IPFS is not really meant to be secure, so we can scratch that off the list and remove the pretend marketing words like "authentication", since it cannot even provide anything close that's both usable and has a small trusted code base. I don't even need to visit the IPFS websites to know this, I can just smell it by the constant retarded posts on the internet I see about IPFS.

Again, to clarify this, I mean a new protocol and document format as well, not just a new web browser. HTML does not even have a standard means of interepretation and is thus malleable and unusable for any means of secure communication. Similar issues and a million more for HTTP and all the other bullshit in the current web.

you can already host games on the web and bittorrent. or use freenet or i2p when you want to do it anonymously. what the fuck. im writing an MMO myself and we're hosting it on fucking bittorrent. the game servers themself of course have to be hosted on our servers since it's not known how to make a decentralized secure game server for a FPS/platformer game

I misread, I thought you're talking about hosting a game you made. Still, there's no reason to use IPFS over other shit.

this bird is wierd man

bump