HOME SERVERS

How could I build one?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack
timothy-quinn.com/a-complete-plex-home-media-centre-on-centos-7/
mediafire.com/file/bm8qq3kb53r7383/owncloud_install.sh
czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2016/03/cello-the-first-affordable-64-bit-arm-server-board/
lenovator.com/product/103.html#detail
gnudip.datasystems24.net/gnudip/cgi-bin/gnudip.cgi,
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

With hardware

what else

Software

Start small and cheap with a lack rack

wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

There's nothing more depressing than having a giant nice looking server cabinet that's empty asides for one slot.

Servethehome is a popular forum for people to post their home server setups, that's where I'd direct beginners to.

Thanks, but I'm also looking for an older looking rack.

Why build one when you can steal one?

how would you steal one :^]

If you don't necessarily need the Rackmount form factor just use a single board computer or something. I use an Odroid XU4 and Olimex Lime2 for my home server. They aren't as cool looking but they get basic jobs done
Off-topic, but if someone took a 1U PC, UPS and terminal and put them in a 3U carry case would he have a rackmount laptop? How stupid is this idea?

I'm guessing he means by breaking in and using it remotely rather than stealing the physical server.

Why would you want a home server anyways? Put a NAS in a closet if you want storage, rent or steal from servers if you need more right away.

m8, a server without at least two SATA isn't one.

For learning purposes, I'm bored.

Get a old PC, plug it into your LAN, install your distro of Linux/BSD on it, then play around with it. Your learn better if you just read documentation and figure it out yourself.

If OP could do it himself he wouldn't have asked m9

Well, OP asked "how do I build a home server" and the answer to that is that there's nothing special about setting up a basic home server to just fuck around with and learn the basics. As said, it's as simple as just installing some stable distro on an old PC and plugging it into your LAN. Just setting that up for a couple of users, file-sharing, maybe a torrent-client webserver, you'd definitely learn a lot.

If he doesn't want to do that and just wants to get a feel for playing around in remote shells, he could always just go on sdf.org or something.

rack servers are too fucking loud and expensive (SAS DRIVES ARE BIG $$$$$$$)
I build this for like nothing out of spare parts
2x2tb in zfs raid 1 mirror
2tb zfs as media server
void with MUSL (not glibc)
phenom x2
4gb ram
the fans had blue LEDs in them but i snipped those out because they were bright as fuck
these pics are old (before i put in os drive- video card an removed LED)

running rsync for both arrays and Samba share on media drive for access from any computer
sometimes run mediatomb but ps3 sucks cock and cant play 70% of my media
i should really setup some kind of torrent system on it so i can download shit and seed it since right now i have to download it and then move it to server

m8

I like you

If you just want to screw around you don't even need an old PC anymore you can create your own VM network pretty easily. Saves on electric costs too.

This can eat up RAM pretty quick.
I regret buying a big and old rack mount server it's just overkill. Sure it has a lot of power and can handle a bunch of different VMs, which is nice for security and isolating shitty software which crashes (ahem plex). I would go for something newer though if/when I upgrade.

I installed Plex a while ago and its been stable. This is on VMWare vsphere 6 as the hypervisor and then CentOS 7 with this guide: timothy-quinn.com/a-complete-plex-home-media-centre-on-centos-7/

If you or anyone uses this guide, if you dont want the other bits just skip those sections. Make sure to read the comments if multiple options are given so you can choose appropriately.

Your rig would have run cooler if you'd left them in.

they were too fucking bright

Protip: layer white electrical tape over them until you reach the desired brightness.

ishygddt

sudo apt-get install -y *d

what's funny is I wrote a shittly little guide for setting up an owncloud server on /poltech/ but the damn thread broke so nobody can look at it and Anyone 0 isn't working

it took me a little bit but I remembered where I uploaded my notes

mediafire.com/file/bm8qq3kb53r7383/owncloud_install.sh

if you set up an ubuntu lts server with ssh you should be able to use those notes to set up an owncloud server to sync files across devices in your home

Posting from mobile

Could you post that to ghostbin?

I just bought a cheap fractal case, and a budget mobo/cpu with I think 4 GB RAM. Cost me a bit over $230. Threw Kubuntu LTS on it, since I was a linux babby and thought I would be lost without the GUI. 1 week in and I started looking up how to disable x, don't think I've used it in ages. Turns out Linux on a server is way easier to administer than a desktop. If I did it again I'd probably go with alpine or centos.

I run everything in Docker containers. Very nice for keeping everything isolated and simplifies setups. I'm thinking of switching to kvms though.

Syncthing seems like much better. The only reason I'm using Owncloud is because I haven't figured out running my own discovery server through Docker yet.

Honestly you are better off building an i5 with X amount of RAM for doing server-like things. While I'm happy with my rack and server (also not pictured, a shitty poweredge III), I think that you can gain similar amounts of experience from running a regular build. Also this R710 eats a lot of power.

If I wanted to build an ARM-based server for the low power consumption, what could I grab that's slightly more powerful than a RPi without going into astronomical costs? Should support at least one wired Ethernet connection and high bandwidth storage by default (sold separately modules count, as long as they have a "normal" bandwidth and not some gimped down version), anything else is optional.

Does this tickle your fancy?
czanik.blogs.balabit.com/2016/03/cello-the-first-affordable-64-bit-arm-server-board/
lenovator.com/product/103.html#detail

literally why

and that this is so ghetto that the SATA ports arent even aligned properly

My mistake the Xeon-d is a 35 watt chip and that A1100 is 25 watts. Buy the pentium-d version of the same board for even less and the same power consumption if you dont care about ECC or using RDIMMs.

If you're just getting started with a home server the best move is probably one of the new ITX boards with integrated Intel CPU. You can get one with a dual-core Celeron J1800, USB 3, and PCI x16 with 4GB of RAM for less than $100 new if you already have a case an power supply. If not, you can add all that as well as one of those IO Crest RAID cards and keep it under $200.

single board computers or somebody's 5-year old noisy gaming rig are really unnecessary when new hardware is cool, quiet, efficient, and cheap....

Low power: Olimex Lime2 A20. It's got 1GB RAM and lots of documentation. It's made in Bulgaria, so no Chinese build quality. I paid around £30 for mine from their website, but that's with shipping.
Medium power: Cubietech Cubietruck. It's an A20 board with 2GB RAM. It's bigger and has more features, but is Chinese so the build quality might not be that good. If it helps my one was pretty good, but I might just be lucky. I got mine for around £60 on Aliexpress.
High power: Hardkernel Odroid XU4. It has 2GB RAM and an 8 core procesor. It doesn't have a SATA port but it does have USB3. If you get it get the passive heatsink, because the active one is loud as fuck. I got mine for £85, and the heatsink for £5.

All 3 of those boards have gigabit ethernet, and they all work nicely. They're also supported by the Armbian distribution, which is an easy Debian/Ubuntu distro made for SBCs.

They were one of the companies releasing the Banana Pi. There was a huge shitfest over which company owned the license, and both of them are Chinese and don't care for documentation or build quality. At least they were the less shit company, because Sinovoip is garbage.

/thread

If you have a hard drive laying around, what are you waiting for? It's as easy as "seed until it's full, then wipe and repeat".

CED Selectavision, very nice.

(checked)
Impressive.

Also checked. Wasn't even trying. Lord Kek approves of video vinyls.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
Go home Voltaire, you're drunk

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
more like, space wave

I hope that silly cunt in front got decked

I haven't played it and I haven't heard much about it, good or bad.

I hope it works out for her anyway and I would hate to give a shit gift, if worst comes to worst maybe she can mix it with a lip blam and use it as a weird tinted balm.
Please tell me how the contour palette works out, I've been eyeing it off for forever.

You mean I've been holding out for this long, and I've just been retarded?

pepe mask?
or has it been done before?

Earth is probably the most useless planet for an advanced civilization to want to invade -- Earth just doesn't have rare heavy metals in concentrated areas like other rocks and later-generation star systems do. There are only be 3 possible reasons:

1. Organic fuels (but humans have already used up the cheap ones to get by now anyway, while their uses to an advanced civ will be highly cost-limited as they'd be easy to synthesize as they're the most common elements in the universe), so we're actually in decent shape for that.

2. Zoos on every colony (but there won't be enough colonies for them to need to steal even 1% of us, and there are plenty of people who should be fucking glad to live a life of leisure and endless fucking with a trip through space).

3. Humans taste delicious. Okay, this was why the Galapagos turtles nearly went extinct. It's a legitimate fear. Hopefully they have an expansive sense of extra-species ethics and well-developed meat synthesis technology if this were the case.

thx user

I want to host a static site

What do

Apache
Nginx

Mojolicious, if you know Perl
Flask, if you know Python
Rack, if you know Ruby
webserver/insta, if you know Racket
Your average programming language's web server library.

For static sites the HTML and CSS are the same, so it's easy to try it out with loads of different backends to see which one you're most comfy with.

Same guy, forgot to mention the rest of the process
Once you have your server up with your program of choice, and it works nicely with your website, you want to make it accessible to the world. Open the port the site is on, which should be 80 by default. You might have to do some router fuckery too. From there you just register a domain, or use a service. Look up a GNUDIP server, one where you don't have to give personal info to get up and running. The Debian Freedombox community provides one at gnudip.datasystems24.net/gnudip/cgi-bin/gnudip.cgi, which doesn't take personal info.

Not him but I'll try this later.

What should I do with one?