a.pomf.cat/avdxeh.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

:^)

tbh anyone who disagrees with you is delusional. all those UIs are basically

people involved in linux DEs are just so incredibly dense

Posting OS X 10.0, Android 3 and Windows Vista is cheating user

The Office Ribbon.

That inconsistency, though

You think that shit is bad? At least that one is fucking fictional.
I tried to get my dad to use need because he needed an application to rename a lot of photos in bulk. You can not get a human being to understand this fucking catastrophe.

I actually found a Linux utility that was much simpler and better to understand for this purpose. Yes, fucking GNU/LINUX, the one you spergs keep complaining about not being user friendly, had a much better bulk rename utility in Xfce. It's still better than any bulk rename utility on Windows.

to use this*
Sorry for the goof

Most websites where the main icon doesn't bring you back to the home page.

Took me a few seconds to realize that wasn't nu-Slashdot

Indeed

praise stallman.

ahahahahah i know exactly who i have to show this to

those pics perfectly demonstrate what the user would use them for
presentation mode
korea mode
centralized mode
peer to peer mode
diversity mode

please keep your BDSM off of Holla Forums

>piedpiper.com

Wasn't their logo a guy sucking a dick?

0/10 tbh fam

And to think someone in the thread on GNOME said 3 resembling a touchscreen UI wasn't on purpose.

It's an Australian Aboriginal flag, actually.
gnunet.org/book/export/html/2239

I was a witness in the Gnome development lists during the 2008 period when they were designing Gnome 3. Gnome Shell was not designed for the purpose of touchscreens. The fact that the conclusion of this design leads to a look that was designed for the purpose of touchscreen is merely coincidence. Fitts's law is the underlying theory why Gnome Shell is designed this way. Gnome Shell is much older than Windows Vista, Unity and KDE4.

this is the old very old interfaces faggots.

Gilfoyle is arguably the most Holla Forums guy on that show.

Now that I think about it, Bighead is probably Holla Forums.

I don't see the problem
They're called "context menus" for a reason

I think his problem is that the styling of the menus do not use a consistent style. I really don't see why this would be a problem though.

That's completely usable. However, it is not obvious how to use it from a single glance. Do not confuse "requires 10 minutes of training" with "unusable UI".

Faggots confusing "user friendly" with "new user friendly" is one of the biggest problems in modern UI design. Especially since those same faggots also tend to confuse new users with blathering retards.

Are you sure?
gnunet.org/downloads
gnunet.org/checking-installation
gnunet.org/sites/default/files/gnunet-gtk-0-10.png

All this information would be easily exposed in the ribbon UI metaphor. It's too bad that many people don't like that metaphor.

I just downloaded the official version from the arch repos and it still looks like shit

No UI is "unusable" then, everything just requires different adapting times :^)

No, seriously. Come the fuck on. A bulk rename application should have an intuitive interface. That shit was so desperate to have it all in one screen that the UI is cluttered and incomprehensible. So little space for each section that it used non descriptive labels because anything longer wouldn't have fit in that tiny fucking space, with everything crammed in little sections for each thing, not even grouping these sections by functionality (like a section for all functions that add strings, a section for all functions that add numbers, etc). That doesn't make it easy to find what you want.

No, a bulk rename utility shouldn't require 10 minutes of learning.

An ATM I came across recently has buttons along the screen like this, and you can also press the corresponding button on the keypad. However if you have to pay an ATM fee, it asks for confirmation. OK is next to the X and Cancel is next to 4 but X on the keypad is cancel.

I believe in hard numbers. I believe that one can quantify "training required for this specific workflow" and "training required for these sets of processes that achieve this given outcome". You don't need 10 minutes of training for simply renaming a bulk number of file. You do need 10 minutes of training for renaming a bulk number of files while depending on a variety of input parameter.

And you wouldn't need even that with a better interface. Simple as that.
While we're at this, I'd just like to throw away this "10 minutes" idea you pulled out of your ass. Some people take longer to learn. My dad in particular is pretty smart when he's got the hang of things but it might take him a while to learn something new (I guess it's the age). Same with a lot of older people.
I just found it funny there really was no simpler free utility on Windows to do this.

I have that openbox theme and now I feel dirty by association.

Typical Wincuck.

If a GUI has to be that goddamn convoluted, you'd be better off using a command line.

Maybe this could be a project Holla Forums could take on, improving those giant clipart style buttons. It's obvious no one else is going to bother.

I'm guessing the three torsos with heads are for peers or contacts, the three orbs shooting arrows at each other is for current files being shared, the network diagram being current network status and the other two I have no idea.

The pie chart might be usage statistics but what does that second button do?

I think default KDE 3 actually looked less retarded than that, what the fuck are those tiny on the left of the window?

In my install they are, from left to right:
"Statistics"
"Information about known and connected peers"
"GNU Name System Zone Management"
"File Sharing"
"Identity Management"

hue

10 minutes is just an arbitrary number. That number can well be 10 hours or 10 days. In my case, it took me 10 weeks of training for me to understand how to use the Promela modeling language together with the SPIN model checker. In the case of this file renaming program, I estimated that it takes 10 minutes to go through all the features.

That is a beautiful, easy to use, easy to understand interface.
You should be ashamed to be in the presence of your betters here.

where did you see OS X, nigger?

Why all of them have such poop fonts and and/or font rendering? This looks totally gross

I thought gthumb's interface was awful, but then I saw this
this just takes the fucking cake
who the fuck thought that using GIANT CLIPART BUTTONS would be intuitive or stylish in ANY reality?
You could just have stylized font buttons for each one, and it would take up less space and look less batshit crazy
the Ozzy windows xp theme was less retarded than this, and it played "FLYING HIGH AGAIN" whenever you would hear the normal system bell, I have a vietnam flashback every time I hear that on the radio now

i miss clippy tho

That's the reason why the command-line is still a thing. A GUI is supposed to be the idiot-proof frontend that you cannot screw up. The terminal is what you go for when you want to get your hands dirty and have full control, but it also requires you to know what you are doing.

Trying to cram all the features you have on the command-line into a GUI will just result in the worst of both worlds. It would have been better to make a dumb GUI program that can do only one thing and serves as a safe wrapper over the command-line. It could have been made in an afternoon and be rock-solid, safe and easy to use. You could even offer a scripting interface to allow adding new functionality to the GUI for people who really want it.

oh i get it
it's "run natively" mode

[MacOS_screenshot.png]

Is that like a web interface for ffmpeg? If so, fuck that's about as good as you can do.

Even if it's not that, somebody tell me a gui for ffmpeg can look better than that. I mean jesus christ ffmpeg is indispensable but it is what it is when it comes to options etc

It's a web interface for a fictional cloud storage website from the TV show "Silicon Valley"

Just make 5 logos.
Easy.
Here's stats

THe funny thing is, without spending time (which I won't), I'm not sure if you're full of shit or not. But I've seen GUI interfaces for ffmpeg that look like that, and all are frankly doomed to be shit (because making a GUI for ffmpeg is doomed worse than the soul of humanity, by default)

Holla Forums's servers can't handle screenshots of 98% of all software using gtk2 or written in java.

SAP.

Have used this. It's not so bad.

hmm needs more aboriginal flags and clipart

Honestly, what annoys me more than outright bad/ugly interfaces, are the ones that are just almost ok looking, but fall short due to a lack of polish.

GTK3 in particular seems to have this problem; for every 'good' looking GTK3 application (like DarkTable) you have several others that look like they'd be decent looking with a just a little more work.

I use this occasionally, it's handy but kind of ugly, I always prefer function over form though. The live preview, selection, and undo features are very handy.

a.pomf.cat/avdxeh.webm
Don't make fun of me for not using optimal regex and making mistakes.

I remember trying Window 8 for the first time and being unable to figure out where shutdown and restart were. How they had the gall to ship that piece of shit, I've no idea.

Any UI that tries to imitate the way the equivalent looks IRL is automatically shit.

holy shit that is fucking awful

kek, all that shit just to avoid learning regex

This is like the regex version of those flowchart based programming languages

Back when I used a Mac, there was this incredibly handy program called A Better Finder Rename. Pic related: so simple, so organized, so functional, so... Mac-like. I thought BRU would be similar, but no, it's like BRU is the nightmare version of ABFR. I could only get it to work right after a lot of frustration.

Please do tell how to run these utilities without a Cygwin-X session.

Only when you are trying to replicate ffmpeg functionality with a GUI. If you write general audio-video conversion thing with specific purpose and then use ffmpeg to achieve your goals, it can be decent.

Generally trying to write a "GUI version" of a CLI program instead of designing the tool as a GUI from the ground up is usually doomed to fail.

Yep. The problem is fags are lazy and stop at "the GUI version of this tool needs to expose all options all the time" which just isn't true. If you want to make an approachable UI version of a CLI tool then understand the aims of the user and contexts of its use.

Couple that with developers who think good UX means fancy icons and buttons and refuse to listen, and you end up with the shitshow we so often see.

I do like the font they're using though. Been trying to figure out what it is, but I can't find it anywhere.

What's wrong with this?

I've never seen a router GUI that isn't complete shit. The router itself is pretty shit too. Sometimes it sticks on that loading screen for more than 30 seconds just to load the DHCP client list.
I never want to touch a web interface again

Why change what was just as broken 40 years ago?