Stargate sg-1 appreciation thread

I've been watching a lot over the past week and I'm blown away. Had really low expectations.

It's not really like any sci-fi shows I've seen (closest thing I can think of is X-Files) but the basic elements I think it's trying to excel at are the same as TNG (less a focus on plot more focus on character interactions). I'm not memeing but so far Stargate does characters MUCH better which is pretty shocking. The stories are just as shit as TNG maybe a bit less interesting, but neither the shows do interesting stories anyway, it's not a focus like it was in TOS.

Those are my only thoughts so far. I think it's only seen as bottom-of-the-barrel trash is because none of the actors went on to become massive and it was released when there were already many sci fi shows coming out like voyager, ds9, farscape.

It wasn't ever meant to be as big as it got.
Richard Dean-Anderson was the best they had in terms of "big names", and it was quite different from other sci-fi of the time, in that it mixed the present with the future, and had both comedic and serious episodes, sometimes at the same time.

Atlantis was better in almost every aspect, but Atlantis did harp on too long about Weir and the Wraith weren't done as well as they could of been.

Universe shat the bed and ruined any chance of Atlantis getting S6.

They're doing a reboot trilogy of films. They'll be bad, I just know it.

Shit that actually happened? I don't think they could get away with that now.

The first few seasons are great. When they start to abandon the go'ald as the villains it goes downhill.

They kind of got lucky in terms of talent, all four of the main cast (and a lot of the supporting cast too, particularly Hammond of Texas) were really excellent, unique characters, and their occasional arguments (mostly between Jackson and O'Neill) were very realistically handled.

O'Neill's a somewhat tormented (they carry over the plot from the movie that his son accidentally shot himself with his gun) cynical, sarcastic grizzled military badass.

Teal'c was also pretty badass and made what could have been a very generic character feel unique, and for seeming so stern he had some really good moments of humor later in the series.

Carter felt like a believable geek character and a capable soldier and as the series went on she became hotter and hotter, and so was an all around enjoyable character, and her line delivery made her believable as a genius.

Jackson was always the team's heart, always arguing for peace and compassion, and as the show went on the cast felt like genuine friends, and professional about it. It felt like a really skilled group of co-workers. While their personalities are completely different, O'Neill and Jackson had kind of a parallel to Spock and McCoy, though usually they agreed in the end.

It helped that the show didn't take itself too seriously and was willing to engage in the occasional comedy episode.

I feel like it painted a surprisingly realistic picture of the military as well, with it being populated by generally good people with the best of possible intentions who nonetheless most often think the best solution is to blow everything up (and more often than not are right) but occasionally have to deal with bureaucratic red tape and shady government officials with their own agendas.

It also helped quite a bit that the show had a lot of great, very theatrical, enjoyable and easy to hate villains.

The later seasons were kind of a mixed bag, but overall still great.

As someone who never seen any Stargate stuff, where should I begin?

The movie, then the show from the first episode on. Then try Stargate: Atlantis during whichever season that premiered, depending on your reaction sticking to SG-1, continuing with both series or switching solely to Atlantis are all valid options.

Stargate: Universe and the cartoon series are both worthless other than Major Hooters.

I remember reading that somewhere - that they only ever counted on two, maybe three seasons. Then they started to make it up as they went along. It was supposed to end on the premise of Humans being the fifth master race of the galaxy, to be inspiring or whatever. But people wanted more, so they got more.
Atlantis was good, but they definitely needed a better Big Bad than the Wraith. That shit got old by season 2.
kys
People either loved SGU or hated it. Granted, most hated it. I thought it was OK. I could have lived with one more season to wrap things up. The chicks were all hot, anyways, so it was worth watching in that respect.
That's been in the works forever. I doubt it will ever materialize. But yeah, they'll be bad. Current Year-ism in space; meh.

What episode is that? I don't remember that at all.

Replicators were a good diversion, I guess. Remember that after that, they went back to the Goulds with Sokar and then Anubis. Ba'al ended up being the Big Bad lurking in the shadows all the way to the last movie. The Ori plotline was where it just became more of the same-old same-old.

Being a literal oldfag is a curse.

The stories are kinda shit in the first season but after that they gradually get better.

The original movie, then SG-1, then when you get to season 8 of SG-1 you can alternate episodes with the first season of Atlantis (SG-1 8.01-02 / SGA 1.01-02 / SG-1 8.03 /SGA 1.03 etc) and keep going that way until the SG-1 series finale, then you watch the Ark of Truth movie, then keep watching Atlantis until you've seen the first episode of season 5, then you watch the Stargate Continuum movie, then the rest of Atlantis, then SGU.

That is, if you want to watch everything in 100% chronological order. Which I do recommend.

It was always great and still is, fuck off.

Yep, it's from a late season 10 episode IIRC. Forget the name. The one where Vala's dad shows up.

No, SGA showrunners shat the bed by making dumb decisions after dumb decisions and their shit writing.
SGU tried to push the franchise in a new direction instead of making a shittier version of SG-1 (SGA).
I enjoyed SGU (Louis Ferrera and Robert Carlyle are the best thing that happened to Stargate in ages), sure it looked like BSG without talented writers but it was close to what SG-1 used to be in the beginning, a Trek-light show). The whole shooting style, set design, art direction was way better than the shit they did in SGA. I felt that Brad Wright had a vision for SGU (and stuff like the big bang and the philosophical approach to the concept of travelling in space allowed the show to stand out from the previous SG shows).

They are just way too much of a borg knockoff imo.

I'm just waiting for Dark Matter to run out of ideas, snap and become as great as SG1 but with Jodelle Ferland.

The finale with the replicators might be the peak of the show though. Really good stuff.

Is that show alright? I tried watching it a couple times, and made it to like the second episode once, but the strong woman/warrior princess shit pissed me off, and so did the nigger for some reason.

I don't mind it, its not stronk womenz propaganda, its stronk womenz fantasy, no speeches and the men are just as stronk and good (except for the whiny faggot One, but he dies).

The futurey science stuff start to get interesting later. Self-healing ships, using clones for long distance 'travel', lots of interesting implications out of those technologies.

I like how user is a black man, really hits close to home for Holla Forumsyps.

filename

still as funny

I agree that SGU had good set and art design, and also had some genuinely good characters/character moments. For me though, the unceasingly grim and serious tone combined with the all shaky-cam all the time camera work ruined my ability to enjoy the show. I do wish that it had at least gotten a proper resolution.

I liked the dark tone of the show (BSG is still one of my favorite shows) but hated the forced humour like Eli and his pop culture references. I think they should've gone full BSG/DS9.

>I do wish that it had at least gotten a proper resolution.
Me too. I wish Brad Wright would tell us what he had in mind for a possible ending. I remember a fan theory about the Destiny and its Icarus crew being the one that would be at the origin of the Big Bang sure it sounds impossible but we're talking about a show with a ship that gets its energy by flying though a star.

macguyver

BSG is a shit fusion. you cant combine a soap opera with scifi and make something good. They keep trying to jew this shit into existence so they can rake in views from both demos but you just cant because the female brain appealing soap opera character flaw masturbation will never jive with ausitic sci fi settings and characters.

At best you can fake one while you do the other like Trek usually does.

Also SGU could have been great, the ship was cool but they killed it trying to add a tumblr insert for male fans. Men arent Women. men dont want to be ordinary and liked; men want to be liked for being extraordinary. You'd think they would have figured this out.

But even if Eli wasnt there the head manlet incharge was poorly cast and the main scientist was too unlikeable. There was literally no one to root for, so i found myself just slowly hating them all day by day. Then the plot took a turn toward LOSTville and i just had to tap out for my own sanity.

also op atlantis was great but it'll never be better than classic SG-1. just accept it.

The fuck are you on about? Everyone loved Eli. And the Rush/Young dynamic was one of the best things about the show.

Wrong.
i already explained why i hated him. so what did you like about his fat edginess exactly?

Wrong.
they were two losers sniping at each other in a situation neither understood. the only time it was enjoyable was when he left rush on that planet - but they couldnt even commit to that.

Sci fi fans were hungry for more good stargate - sgu failed to deliver due to a lack of a likeable alpha type and other poor casting choices.

??

BSG was a soap opera set in a sci fi setting. it had yuge views because women and faggots like watching soap opera shit. it did not appeal to sci fi fans. It just used the setting.

The same way the new star trek is just a generic action movie set in that universe.

Staging generic shit in a good setting irks me too.
i hope this isnt too complicated for you to grasp.

I have not seen any universal rejection of BSG from sci-fi fans, on the contrary…

One of the best episodes when he hits a golf ball through the gate was awesome

i imagine you wouldnt see any on reddit.

Eat shit, millions of flies can't be wrong.

Barely a couple of days ago BSG was praised on this board without any disagreement…

why don't you go back and stop shitting up this board

maybe in your gay mind, faggot

So who was best waifu?
And why was it Doctor Fraiser?

Rush was a far better character than the geek, also too much romance.

Does the sg stand for stargate?

what did he mean by this?

Yeah it was good, then like x-files went to shit the longer it was kept on. Generally iirc once the hot nurse/doc left it was basically done as a good series.

i agree there. i watched this much longer than most shows, maybe 10 episodes in at least. i only made it two episodes past the BSG pilot (which wasnt bad btw). but yeah, like you said, romance kills sci fi everytime.

Eli in SGU could have just raped the girl he wanted. What was the commander going to do? Him and everyone else would die without Rush and Eli and he knew. A smart commander would have told that girl to sex up Eli to keep him happy. But SGU was the show that featured an HR woman as part of the main cast who had handicap sex so whatever.

SG1 is kino

You must like assholes. Stargate: Universe should have been named Stargate: Assholes in Space. Most of the episodes deal with problems created by the characters themselves due to being retarded. I started rooting for them all to die. The unarmed civilians tried to mutiny halfway through the first season. So fucking stupid. It was only through bad writing that the military didn't just shoot them five minutes into the episode. Mutiny begins, (bang), mutiny ends.

Universe copied Battlestar Galactica. But instead of copying the excellent first two seasons, they copied the awful last two. Soap opera garbage masquerading as space opera. "I'm pregnant.” Parody became reality.

I miss the stream that ran 24/7 sg1 and Atlantis would ran that in the background

Did it mostly got plushed because MGM doesn't really have another sci-fi TV-driven franchise?