Russian President Vladimir Putin Wants Microsoft Out of the Country

Russia already has a plan to cut down usage of foreign software by supporting local companies and applications, but President Vladimir Putin is reportedly planning to accelerate the transition by getting rid of Microsoft products as soon as possible.

And in his opinion, there’s a good reason why this should happen as soon as possible: Microsoft software can be used in the cyber war against other countries, and the United States could turn to products such as Windows and Office to infiltrate in Russia’s systems.

NBC News claims it has obtained a document from the US Homeland Security which confirms that Russian hackers used malware injected into a Microsoft Office document to shut down the Ukrainian electrical grid last year, so Vladimir Putin is afraid that a similar tactic can be used by Americans against Russia as well.

michellhilton.com/2016/11/vladimir-putin-quer-microsoft-fora-da-russia.html

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/CYfpj
youtube.com/watch?v=b4Jp-WIxZxQ
fsfe.org/news/2016/news-20161110-01.de.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Good on him. It's really incomprehensible how much infrastructure is run on Windows even in countries that are enemies of the USA (or at least not on friendly terms).

How is ReactOS doing anyways, wasn't that part of their plan to replace Windows eventually?

The only time I see it mentioned is when comparing the compatibility of games to Wine.

fix'd

I'm pretty sure Russia is actually throwing money at it. Last I heard it runs Skyrim now.

That's what hospitals and nuclear reactors run on :^)

They already replaced Intel with Elbrus tfw can't get one of those sexy VLIW. Pretty sure they use a flavour of GNU/Linux for important stuff. Like every country.

Slav magic is real.

Now hopefully the rest of the world will follow and switch to a free OS so I don't have to use MS Office to view my bills anymore.

shit looks like windows 98

This CNN article is better:
archive.is/CYfpj
money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/technology/moscow-russia-microsoft-software-email/

Media again lies either because they fail to understand the intent of the Kremlin's actions or they are plain malicious. The Kremlin has argued that Microsoft Products could not be audited, nor have patches in a timely manner by the state without Microsoft's grace. In addition, licencing products every so years costs billions not invested in your home nation. Besides, it makes sense to invest in your own nation's IT industry.
Whats funny, is that every other article I read makes sensationalist quips like this:

Also:
What is PRISM?

Astute observation. ReactOS's libraries are sourced from older ones from the wine project.

Putin Linux when?

What kind of nuclear reactor in the US has the money for Windows 95? Most runs on Dos or custom board logic depending when they were built.

Windows 95 can't even be legally bought anymore, plus its support ended in late 2001.

That's a good thing.

Microsoft Office document is vague. Are they talking about the old binary formats or OOXML, which is basically a ZIP file?

I wonder if journalists are always lying or if they actually believe some of their bullshit.

this is a sensible move tbh.

Haha, russians don't buy shit. Have fun supporting the "local economy" in Russia.

What was the name of that other country recently that either banned or was about to ban proprietary software from government offices.

The government will be buying support. A government contract will be much more profitable for a software company than selling licenses to average Joe.

How is this even possible?

Anyway, everything that tries to shut down ms is somewhat good.

Probably the computer had software that controlled the electricity grid, and the malware in the Office document accessed it.

I have many reaction pics and none of them are suitable for this retarded "info" at that scale.

It looks like Win2k, the best Windows ever released.

Does it work good with a Thinkpad?

Yandex instead of Google and VK instead of Facebook are the two biggest defenses against US bullshit.

He's just trying to keep USA spying out of Russia.

Zip-bomb maybe? Really doubt it was a 0-day

I don't think anybody has tried it. I don't even think ReactOS runs on hardware yet.

And you're replacing US botnet for a Russian botnet.

windows 2000 was my favorite, used it for ages even after xp was released.

seconded. I despise Putin and his government , and I would prefer if Russia used GNU+Linux rather than ReactOS, but I can only be happy for governments escaping from private and foreign private computing dominance.

Why would I prefer if they forgot about Windows alltogether?
Well ReactOS still needs proprietary drivers for most things, Microsoft could still destroy all the interoperability work put by ReactOS is a snap for future Windows versions, and Unix-like systems are lovelier overall.

do they think we are this stupid, or is the general American and US-ally really this disingenuous

it won't. They want a Windows clone instead called ReactOS. Bad move if you ask me

I'd say most of them are both sensationalist by trade, and ignorant of other fields by circumstance

Oh it runs on hardware, just a very limited set. There's a reason it's a meme os.

You're better off installing Linux and WINE if you need Windows programs to run on a non MS system that badly. Oh and it lacks 16 bit program support so anything 16 bit such as older installers and business software won't run on ReactOS.

Here's a long ass video of someone trying to install it on hardware, they had to grab another system because they kept getting 07e BSODs when they tried it on an XP era machine. It ended up actually booting later on on a dual-core Celeron PC but they struggled to make programs run. It also tells you that if you install a custom device it could even render your PC unbootable, limiting hardware support further.

youtube.com/watch?v=b4Jp-WIxZxQ (skip to 21 minutes in if you want to see it actually booting on hardware)

Windows 95-2000 had the best UIs. It started going downhill with XP.

i laughed

Visual Studio code is bretty good regardless.

The sensationalist quips are actually pretty funny. It's as if people can't conceive that overpriced, proprietary, closed sourced software run by agencies associated with a foreign nation might not be the best thing to rely on for a country like Russia.

It's not even a good thing for the United states as is, let alone a competitor. Who the hell buys into this shit?

reactos development seems to be moving quickly, and is accelerating.

I don't see much use for it personally, but have been watching their logs for the past couple months out of fuck-microsoft interest.

I think they will have it self-hosting within 6 months to a year.

I have played with (I think) 0.4.0 in a vm testing some commercial plc software. It failed the same way as the current release of wine did.

I plan to give 0.4.3 another try when it gets released soonish.

I never bothered learning programming under windows, but there are a whole lot of people out there who view it as their 1st platform. I think as soon as reactos looks somewhat practical, that giant mass of people are going to move over and start hacking on it.

If that happens, it will get legs and become a legitimate platform, maybe even more popular than linux.

I think that image should be named "feelsstallman".

More good news, according to the Free Software Foundation Europe:

this bill is one-below-Stallman-tier autism

fsfe.org/news/2016/news-20161110-01.de.html

Who would have guessed Russia would become the leader of the Free Software world?