wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/official_repositories
wiki.debian.org/WhyDebian#Source_Builds,
templeos.org/Wb/Linux/
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wtf, gentoo is the only option, only "bad" thing is that you have to wait a bit longer to install software

You forget a few distros there, as mentioned Gentoo but also OpenSUSE and Manjaro.

CentOS.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

i have tried some of the obscure ones though. puppy linux was insightful for RAMdisk potential, slitaz the same. openelec is not particularly interesting.

haven't tried slackware, but that's because i read that openSUSE are in bed with microsoft

basically, though, i think derivatives are not unimportant

..................!!?

centos was not usable until version 7, still it somes with systemd cancer

The answer seems clear.

I'd say Gentoo or Alpine. Gentoo has its problem (portage being slow, overengineered and lacking revdep support and lack of manpower) but it's still the best desktop distro.
If there wasn't a Gentoo, I'd probably use FreeBSD.

Psst, I'll tell you a secret.

Here are the best distros:

Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Editioninfohash: 66817A94A70EE41BF7B0782CAF5E621F109BE18C
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter Editioninfohash: BA0A88FCDB3A24AB499D7BB4AD6381A0DBA0C376
Tool to activate the above, straight from the sourceinfohash: FB59D3260575A6BFDE6880CE4FF8893D10F01B06
If you honestly cannot learn Windows Server, or at least cannot configure your system confidently with gpedit.msc and regedit,
you have no business trying to convert to GNU.Windows is everything GNU is but on easy++ mode.
Ex-Gentoo user here (daily driver), now daily driving 2008 R2 and may soon daily drive 2016.Daily drive with Active Directory and RDS on all of my home systems.(So if one Directory Server crashes, I still have a functioning Directory).
But don't listen to me, listen to that toe-jam eating creep.

Debian. Most stable, don't really need to set it up, packages are new/updated if you aren't a retard.

t. Stephen Lynxshit

Lol wut?

maybe because arch doesnt provide USE flags?

Arch does not divide packages into base, devel, headers etc.

Nice fear mongering

0.02$ have been sent.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/official_repositories
core
testing
The only important ones are present (linux-headers and opencl-headers)

There's a lot of valid criticism about Arch (forced systemd, small repo "just-use-AUR-LMAO", no official tool to upgrade/install directly from abs, lack of testing) but you choose the wrong one.

Neither. Linux sucks.

you cant do anything on that shit, fuck off

You can talk to God, retard. Can you do this on your memeOS? Doubt it.

i can talk with emacs's psychotherapist chick nigga

Arch

/thread

...eh? Slackware is separate to SUSE. they aren't even in the same family anymore (SUSE started as a Slackware fork, but they aren't remotely related nowadays).

As for Arch being bloated, it is. It doesn't split packages up, which results in a big install for you.

devel != testing

Testing means it's unstable; devel means development libraries. Where Arch has just the OpenSSL package, on Debian there's a package for OpenSSL and then a separate one for OpenSSL's libs for programmers for example.

So where bloat == unneeded functionality, Arch's packages are bloated due to not taking out functionality you might not need.

I see. Still, splitting packages that much can be considered bloat too, since the size difference is probably negligible. And Arch/Gentoo/etc... are mainly used by programmers.
On the other hand, Debian has a slow as fuck package manager and no port system (wiki.debian.org/WhyDebian#Source_Builds, it's voluntary).

Gentoo is the ultimate distro for choice.

Stallman doesn't approve.

OpenSUSE or Ubuntu. I'd ignore everything else.

BSD

Unless you want binary packages, of course.

Slackware 4 lyfe

Trisquel all the way my nigger.

You can, actually. I wrote Terry-approved shell scripts for doing just that. It's kind of shitty code that was taken out of an IRC bot, but it works.
templeos.org/Wb/Linux/

You are contradicting yourself. Do you want non free or not?

Like, why should I care, man? The only possible security risk there would be the implementation. Everything else from the software to the kernel you get from the package manager.

If you're getting the same software selection from a niche distro you're probably using the repositories of some other distro, and you're mostly using that other distro.

Your point being?

ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"
checkmate

The OP was only listing shitty distros so of course Gentoo wasn't there

FreeBSD

>>>/cuckshed/

It's Slackware, OP.
Everyone knows this.
It's Slackware unless you're a wizard in which case it's Gentoo.
THB the shittiest thing about Slackware is the Linux kernel itself.

No mention of Sabayon? It recently got updated.

Just like with everything it depends on you.

For me it's Kubuntu.
If you don't have the time or patience to go full autist and just want something that works well, it's perfect.
If you have the autism and actually know what you're doing and it fits your use case, then Gentoo would be another great one in my opinion.

Mint has two versions, its Ubuntu fork and it has a Debian fork.
I use Mint Debian on my laptop.
What is wrong with Mint Debian specifically?
Fedora is something I used for a time and its ok but really it seems like the better option in a way doesn't it? It is pretty much backed by what is THE name in enterprise/business level linux systems.

I mean really, what exactly is it you're trying to accomplish here?
See, that's the big problem I see here. Your question is so nebulous because you're asking what is "The best" but not describing what your criteria for "Best" is.
You could ask which operating system is "The Best" and list Windows, OSX, Linux, BSD, Plan9, etc etc and you can get a big fucking argument but if all you really were interested in doing was playing video games then the choice is obviously Windows.

So that's the question here. What do you need your Linux distro to do for you?
For me? I needed it to install easy on a laptop, be stable and work out of the box before I started to really fuck with it.
I don't have the time nor the patience these days to fight with bullshit just to get my fucking operating system operational.

If you're REALLY unhappy then why not just make your own fucking distro? Go look at the linux from scratch project and get the basics of building a system from there and then just package up what you really want and need.
This seems like a troll/bait thread.

Ha.
I doubt it's used by programmers who code in EVERY SINGLE FUCKING LANGUAGE THE SYSTEM WORKS WITH.

I wanna fuck Konqui

snowden's.
could argue that his choices are more verifiable (he managed to evade law enforcement doing something highly illegal)

Qubes OS is possibly the best GNU/Linux distro if you're Snowden, but most people don't have such extreme security concerns. It's not the best distro in general.

Definitely not the best in any way or shape.

All my real work is done at work, I can't be fucked nigger rigging something else together, TrueOS was close but had a shit intel driver so everything was screen tearing like a mother fucker.

Try DragonflyBSD if you want up to date drivers, m8.

Are you sure you meant to reply to me? It seems like you didn't even read my post.

Pretty sure there's no error here, friendo. While you're mostly right, I was just making fun of you for using a shit distro under the "just werks" excuse (which isn't even true).
Someone who can't spend 30m-1h30m to install a distro and all the necessary stuff (unless you reinstall every week) shouldn't have his opinion considered anyway.

Yeah but you were referring to the Ubuntu fork. I use the debian fork.
And yes, I'm going to go for a "Just works" option because my main concern is getting a sane working environment set up first and foremost. I can go back and customize as I need/please.
I've had my fill of configuring kernels and compiling compilers back in my college days. I'm done with that shit.

I repeat, whi does it matter unless you have to reinstall often? You take more time removing bloated shit (like Mate/Cinnamon) than installing from a clean state. Also, there's something between Gentoo/Crux and Mint.
I suggest FreeBSD or Alpine if you don't want pain.

Gno. Fuck you BSDcucks

what if I like using Mate or Cinnamon?

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

nice meme
busybox is for embedded systems and horribly incompatible and insecure

Looks POSIX compliant to me.
Source?

I did not know these things.
Now the question is to go back to Fedora or Debian proper?

Gay sex

gnu/go fuck yourself

I like Antergos. It's all the cool shit with arch but with a GUI installer that has full drive encryption set up from the get go. It also lets you choose which DE you want (or none). I use KDE because it's nice and works decent but I've used every mainstream DE and I could be comfortable with any of them. I'm not really a programmer, autistic, and I built my compute after 1993, so I don't understand anons who act like they can't use anything but an absolute minimal system.

The thing is that you can't get rid of the freedesktop glue (polkit, systemd, dbus) without going full "minimalist" nowadays. Give me the first without the other and I'll see.

gnu/go fuck yourself

Why are you making this conclusion? Gentoo offers no advantage over any other distro besides the fact it already populates /usr/include/ for the libraries on your system.
The only fringe advantage gentoo offers to programmers, it the ability to create a local portage tree of your software, which requires a bit of shell-like scripting for ebuilds, but even then that's pushing it. Ideally, everyone who uses a ports system should spend some time to learn about this feature, as the main portage tree can benefit from it when you want to contribute your ebuild.

RMS's world view sees all propriety as bleach, and all users as babies who will drink said bleach. Naturally, he wants to parent everyone and remove the bleach from their houses altogether, rather then have the bleach locked away in the house, where it can be accessible to users who want it or need it.

Overall, this thread confirms my bias that the "boxed set" distros are giving too much of a shit when it comes to not allowing the user to make a choice.

After the pottering "unified application and desktop" nightmare, applications now make hard dependencies on the desktop environments themselves, instead of supporting features separately. For example, take Krita: its a kde application, fine. What isn't fine, is instead of depending of a few kde and qt libraries, it wants to communicate with a complete KDE desktop through dbus, so it wants complete KDE desktop essentially running while its running. So, no kitra for me, unless I want to stub out all its kde-dbus messages in its source code.

Gentoo is not used by devs because of its features. It's the same reason /a/ and Holla Forums overlap a lot: same brand of autism.
Gentoo gives you more control through USE flags, slots and alternative libc/inits. Hence it attracts people who like control/tinkering: hackers.

Back in my day, hacking meant something.

Jewbot detected.

You didn't read well. Hackers like control/tinkering, control/

By the way, is that Terminus? I suggest you try sgi-fonts at least at this size.

Fug.

Hackers like control/tinkering, control/tinker doesn't make you a hacker.

Who doesn't?

Doesn't Krita have an appimage now? Can't you use that to avoid all the dependency shit?

Not Arch is da bes

It lacks: a real wiki, an infrastructure for packages (Github is only okay for mirrors).

The wiki covers everything specific to void. It's not there to spoonfeed you on how to linux.

Slackware is the only good "major" distro left. Crux is pretty good, and Gentoo as well but only if you have a very specific need for it. Honestly I just use FreeBSD now because it's a much better UNIX clone but I still run Slackware on my 2nd laptop.

Coming from a guy that likes Windows Server as well, there's no point in using it if you want a UNIX system. Also is Server 2016 botnet, and can I get a good source on that if true?

Oy Vey, I let my self be outed.

nixos
guixsd

secretly this
hue

I'm pretty sure that it most certainly is ( except if Microsoft devs are REALLY retarded to not include whatever "NSA" malicious code into the server's kernel version ), although not as much of a botnet as the standard version.

Debian is my preference since it's the only reasonable distro accepted by the h-node project, namely as it's the only "fully free" one that also respects the user's choice of selectively re-enabling certain non-free binaries from its deblobbed kernel via a separate repository (unlike Linux-libre). If you're adamant about the systemd default, Slackware and Gentoo are very worthwhile alternatives as they arguably adhere most closely to the original principles of Linux. Most everything else is indeed a fork of a fork of a fork maintained by 1-3 hobbyists.

nice fonts. where to find them ?

This is the correct answer.

It's Gentoo, without the suck.

sabayon.org

When you get older, you'll understand why it's a good thing to not update so often. Until then, use arch, gentoo, or *BSD. It's a great learning experience.

Clearly Ubuntu.

2016 is just like 10:
You can set Allow Telemetry GPO to 0 but have no ability to delay updates.

I would also think any telemetry would obey Windows Firewall, so a GPO on the [presumably future] domain with firewall rules should do.

so, you just need to add backports to your sources.list, how hard is that? voila, your packages are up to date

What if I want to use Salix instead of Slackware? How much of a faggot am I?

Please don't say retarded things. This policy only works for core packages.

The spyware is in Unity, the default desktop environment. Not the OS itself.

whats wrong with antergos??

Fixed

Debian is more versatile and closer to what you're used to.

It's Arch you niggers.

What do you mean by best? The OS is a means to an end, because it lets you use your computer to do whatever it is you want. Nobody buys a games console to fuck around with updates, nobody buys a phone to swipe the home menu repeatedly and nobody turns a computer on because they want to fuck around in the menus/CLI.

An OS should do three things to be good
Find the distro that satisfies those for you. If it turns out Windows or Ubuntu is the best then so be it.

Doesn't it have systemd as default over OpenRC? Their wiki says that OpenRC is no longer supported.

I remember trying that a few years ago.
It definitely left an impression. From what I remember it was fast, but a little unstable.

Good criticism of Arch but it is still the best. Every distro has a flaw

Ubuntu package dependencies are retarded. Installs too many unnecessary shit. Debian might have that problem too though I never tried.

Arch has flaws and provides nothing.

I run qubes, it's very cozy. There are some things that are 'broken', either for security or they just haven't gotten around to implementing it. No audio in my win10 HVM (or HVMs in general). Configuring USB devices to work properly can be annoying. There are also some oddjob bugs that pop up, had the machine randomly reset on me a few times and my Debian8 template somehow corrupts when updated.

That's all I can really complain about though. The whonix implementation works %100 as well, very useful if you wanna hook up to tor without worrying about leaking anything. Worth trying out if you need an easy security-centric OS.

My biggest problem with turning to a distro is what is the longterm support.
I know Debian has been around forever but how much longer?
Those things tied to Red Hat may stay around and live though. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Like, how the hell does Debian actually get funding to stick around? Is it ALL donations/crowd sourcing?

we should make a new distro "deBane" that randomly crashes and deletes all your files with no survivors. it would keep users on their toes.

9front.org

Didn't read to see if someone wrote this but Ubuntu didn't really have spyware, it just had a changeable default for one or two releases that was just a check box

(continued) The thing about it was, anyone who cared enough to fucking complain, could just fucking fix it with a couple fucking clicks and then shut the fuck up about it. Which makes me not take anyone complaining about it seriously at all

(Continued) also "spyware" really wasn't meant to be used the way it's used in that instance or when people say "google is spyware" (botnet is another word)

It's an old and not very good meme started and perpetuated by a lack of fluency in language

What are the OS instances you run in Qubes virtual machines? How does all that even work?

I was using #! with the Debian Testing repos, but then that kinda died for a year and so I just hashed out the Waldorf repos and went more or less full Debian Testing. I'm looking to switch to something a bit more bleeding-edge, though, since even on Unstable/Testing Debian lags behind on a lot of packages I've found. I'd prefer to not have to learn another package management system besides apt, is there any "bleeding-edge" that uses it?

eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

That's windows user mentality.

their repos are also way out of date

It's obviously Lindows, come on.

All the popular ones mentioned are good and so is pclinuxos.

Arch

It already comes with lots of things out of the box I'd consider "broken" (such as linking python to python3, etc).

The AUR is basically just a git wrapper which makes it easy to install random stuff, written by literally who.

I never understood why people decide to compile their whole system when they basically just use 3-5 custom packages anyway. Just compile these on any other distro and save time.

ArchBuntu Special Edition

Complete bloat.

Through the course of 6 years, I never had a problem with Arch Linux. I have it on my T420 which I bought 2 years ago and rsync'd everything from the desktop, so it's still the same system.

Why distrohop when you know how to maintain your system long-term, keep it relatively clean, lean and fast, still has everything that I need, tweaked to every bits and pieces that it's really comfortable (for me) to use.

"The best GNU/Linux distro"
Once you realize that every distro is the same with different package managers, directory layout and general philosophy, it starts to not matter. The only way a systems breaks is by user intervention. You are responsible for everything you do on that shit and if you can't handle the way these things tend to work then you don't deserve to own that computer.

python is python3 you little nerd, get with the times

Bullshit. It's primarly repositories, maintained, updated and enlarged every day. It's also support/community. Package manager can be same between two distros.
Arch doesn't support more than two µarchs, more than one init system. It doesn't even support updating/installing directly from the abs.
A lot of people came to Gentoo/Crux/Slackware from Arch; I suggest you wonder why protip: it's not rice, nor e-points.

Arch had problems six years ago, no one disputes that.
1. the lack of signing, where they were basically forced to admit they were fucking retarded after the kernel.org intrusion
2. lack of testing a few years ago compared to now
3. their shitty system-wide conf or whatever that was. to be fair, that's because sysvinit was dogshit, and systemd fixed this, and it made arch much better.

just to name a few.

They're the same when it comes to infrastructure, but it varies in expression.

I'll agree that it doesn't really matter what distro you use, as long as you're familiar with what its strengths and weaknesses are when it comes to the infrastructure.

Some infrastructure lends itself to use cases better than others.

Let's take Fedora. Bleeding edge. SELinux set up by default, GNOME desktop.

Lack of packages (especially patent encumbered), might have to build your own with mocktool or use rpmfusion.
They tend to freeze every spin in a broken as fuck state. Freezes are a big pain in the ass on Fedora, probably my biggest problem with it.

Arch. No lack of packages, MAC is a pain in the ass to set up, not easy to install or get the same experience for Ubuntu babies. For example, to install and use Steam you have to hack around their runtime or disable the runtime altogether and hunt for a dozen or so lib32 dependencies. A shitty example, it's proprietary, but yeah.

Ubuntu/Debian/Mint, more out of date than fucking Fedora, but at least their and abundant PPAs and backports help a little bit with their freezing process.
Easy to setup, well documented.

Package management problems abound.

Gentoo. Well, autism. It's a meta distribution so it's hard to compare. You basically build your distro. Good that you can basically emerge world to go bleeding edge anytime you want, or not. Pain in the ass to setup, but powerful.

Gentoo is a meta distribution.
Probably because they're autists who whine about PID1, I'd imagine.

Also, needs to be said that I main arch after distro hopping mainly from Ubuntu->Puppy->Debian->Fedora->Arch over like, six years. My old workstation used Gentoo for a time, as well.

who cares
systemd is a sane init system and it's alright for what it does
you don't even change the much "bloated" gnu coreutils to busybox so who cares
why the need for handholding, it's not gentoo
abs is for people who know their shit, and you know, personal modifications of the official packages which already have reasonable defaults. PKGBUILD isn't designed for USE flags-like elegant modifications which means if you edit it, then later update the abs trunk then you manually have to deal with the differences it might have

You can rice everything so fuck your shit, and I never care about e-points

Ubuntu/Mint is for people who have never cleared their browser cache.
Arch is for people who have a perfectly good system and then download PC Optimizer 9000 which wipes their hard drive.
Debian is for people who wiped their hard drives and realised the problem was them.
Gentoo is for people who wiped their hard drives and realised the problem was the software.

NUTHIN TO HIDE

python3 is incompatible with python 1-2.7, that's why it got it's own link.

As a result, python2 programs which use "python" can break on arch if the code contains new syntax.

I meant:
*if the code contains stuff, incompatible to python3.

Thoughts about bunsenlabs?

Switched back to Debian last night.
Just as I thought, had to fuck around and get non-free shit just to get my wireless on my laptop to work.
Probably still have more fucking around to do as I get back into the swing of things.

And a lot complaining to do on the internet, Debian is so evil, why do make things so hard???

Its just something to consider when thinking about what is "The best" operating system.
This is a blackmark for Debian in that I could not access and use 100% of my machine's hardware at installation.

Your decision to purchase a non-open source wireless card is not a black mark against Debian.

well, first of all you need to stop living in the late 90's and early 2000's
Second of all, you should probably point me to resources that make laptops for cheaper than you can buy pre-manufactured.

You fucking cunt.

You're a retard. Go suck Stallman's toes.

No. You explicitly chose to put yourself into this situation. You chose to agree to the software rules that the manufacturer placed on their software. Nobody forced you to buy the hardware you have and nobody forced you to agree to the their software restrictions. You only have yourself to blame for choosing to live under their restrictions.

The reason why free software exists is so that we can see a world of software that is not restricted by some individual or group. Free software exists so that we can all help one another and improve the software we have. Having you blame us is twisted considering that we are forbidden to take the software that you choose to use.

nah i'm not falling for that shit.
Just admit that the dogma locks out people and organizations with shit that they have to do.
Just admit that you're fucked and bottlenecked by your refusal to let companies protect THEMSELVES.

Look, I prefer unix systems for working environments. I prefer linux systems as that unix system.
But at some point you all need to realize that you're fucked by your own philosophies?

How about this novel idea..how about a linux system that respects your PRIVACY yet JUST WORKS?

I don't think you understand how privacy and security works. There is no such thing as a security and privacy app that a person can install. Such a thing is impossible.

Not too much of one.
But tbh, Slackware is just as easy once set up.

Guix and NixOS for their way of package management.

Alpine for Embedded/Other

devuan because no systemdI'll probably get into it soon and make a guide for it

Hi Holla Forums, I am windows user who still has to use some win-only software and I want to install Linux (or some other UNIXlike OS) in VM for doing SICP.
What is best binary distro for doing SICP exercises?

But Void isn't a fork, so checkmate. Also it doesn't meet the definition of a free distribution either.

literally anything that runs mit-scheme.

In other words, just stick with windows
gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/

i had thoughts like that, because on older machine it took 3 hours to compile xorg.... It was really pain to even think about Firefox and other heavier stuff... But just take some time, on quad-core cpu palemoon compiles for about 70 mins, xorg about hour, kernel is about 10 mins(fuck genkernel) and window manager about 3-4 mins and thats it... anything else is way shorter to compile, you can basically have working gentoo system within a day

binary distro? anything without systemd is ok, you can do it in emacs, or just stay with winshit and download emacs + mit scheme

All you needed to do was a little digging, lazy kids these days. Ima keep living in the early aughts TYVM, it's comfy here.
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

is right though. Sometimes security isn't convenient.

The best is Gentoo. Doubles confirm.

Could you explain why a systemdless distro is better for a user that is new to Linux that just wants to let his SICP memes be dreams?

Currently installing Fedora. Love posting Trump memes from a SJW distro. Has to piss them off.

Don't see any dubs there. Either you are A) drunk, B)sleepy or C) very bad at math.

alrighty, so after FINALLY getting around to flashing SealBIOS on my Chromebook and installing Debian with LXDE on t, I think I want to go with a more "Purist" approach this time

What is the most "Purist" GNU/Linux distro? both in terms of freedom and design

fucking this
however manjaro STILL has no official support for amdgpu-pro and i refuse to drop windows 7 till it does

This guy again

So I fell for the GuixSD meme in my search and I just get a blank screen after the init

any ideas?

elementary, if I had to use linux, that would be my choice

This term does not mean what you think it means.

I'm not sure what you mean by purist.

Something wasn't configured properly. I don't understand the system enough to say what is the exact problem. If I was in this situation and I demanded to have GuixSD installed, I would educate myself with the help of Linux from Scratch.

If he's talking about freedom, any FSF approved distro would be good enough. Trisquel is one, it's 100% free software.

If he's talking about UNIX-like, slackware is the best. It's the closest to UNIX with its traditionalist and conservative approach that makes it different from other distros. If you're used to how BSD is ran, you'll fit in with slackware easily. Slackware even uses BSD style init scripts rather than sysv or openrc.

Deepin Linux is simply the best distro.

That's your own ignorance toward the nature of a complex problem that is binary blobs. Basically the reason why most distros can't just work out of the box for some specific pieces of hardware is the fault of ... take a guess... HW manufacturers.

Yeah, by Purist I was sort of inching closer to traditional UNIX (ie. no systemd) but also supports my freedoms, otherwise I would be satisfied with Debian. Thats why I'm drawn to GuixSD

Welp, at the end of the day I went with Parabola since its the only distro on the FSFs list of sponsored distros that is still being regularly updated and actually boots for me. Also gnewscence and trisquel couldn't detect the touchpad

The best linux distro for me is Debian. Since I like it, you have to like it too. That makes sense, right?
/thread

No mention of Solus.

Makes sense

I use Ubuntu on my laptop for work. It does the job pretty well and I'm too much of a lazy nigger to put arch on there, hence why I use the OS for niggers.

Trisquel is way way way behind on updates. The ubuntu LTS has been at 16.04 for a while and Trisquel 8 is 6 months late at least

Debian overall, it runs on literally anything and actually has drivers.
CRUX/Gentoo if you want to go for source-based

I liked slackware.

xubuntu tho when i just need a linux quick

It's not officially supported, but you can run Arch with OpenRC pretty easily. You can install it from the official repositories and there's unoffical disk images to do a clean install with it. I'm posting from Manjaro with OpenRC now.