Email Clients

Are these just completely dead? Thunderbird and kmail don't receive updates anymore. Gmail is making it harder and harder to log in through clients. Services like protonmail don't even allow you to use them-- you HAVE to use the webapp!

I've always really liked having multiple mail accounts open at once in thunderbird, but it seems like those days are coming to a close. Wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SirCmpwn/aerc
motherboard.vice.com/read/why-security-experts-are-using-an-ancient-email-format-in-2015
archive.is/o80pd
fossamail.org/
support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en
friendlybit.com/security/how-to-make-e-mail-encrypted-for-everyone/
support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=1-636150465711958650-2385215310&rd=3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What updates does Thunderbird currently need?

Bullshit, I literally got a new update for Thundernigger today.

Yeah can't get POP3 mail from Gmail using Claws Mail or Thunderbird no matter how much I try

For niggers. Use mutt or sylpheed if you want a GUI. And wait for github.com/SirCmpwn/aerc

This. Other than bug fixes, what would Thunderbird ever need? It's an email client, used for email. It's not some cancerous Web whatever-point-0 abomination in need of adhering to a loosely-defined "living standard"; it just sends and receives emails. If you want shiny new shit, give up email and fuck off back to Facegramblr or whatever the kids use these days.

also should probably add that according to this...

motherboard.vice.com/read/why-security-experts-are-using-an-ancient-email-format-in-2015

...thunderbird will become full-of-security-holes when mozilla drop it

well often web apps are easier to setup endtoend encryption with, automatically. e-mail clients require manual PGP on both ends so it doesn't generally happen

Jesus user, someone already went through the trouble to archive that cancer and you couldn't even be bothered to check.

archive.is/o80pd

No they aren't. I used an email client just two days ago to check my email and it worked just like it did every time before that.

Yes, it does. If it works for me it should work for everyone. I use POP3 like anyone else.

Stop being gay.

Someone's still in the closet

>>>/tumblr/
>>>/reddit/

>>>/homo/

Typical of a faggot to derail the thread due to hurt feelings

Not so sure about gmail or protonmail, I know that a while ago I was setting up alpine so I could be super 1337 like neo and send/recv email using text only with a mail.com email and I absolutely could not get sending mail to work, only reading mail.

I might try setting up an openmailbox.org account with alpine later to see how well they work with external clients, but they require you to use javascript to register an account so I nope'd the fuck out earlier.

The only time I use one is if it's a mac. The apple one is pretty good, but other than that, the web interface works well enough most of the time.

Sorry, am I triggering you?

has anyone here used Tutanota? Is it legit?

Sylpheed is the best GUI client hands down

1. Get a real ISP
2. Set up postfix
3. Use whatever client you want

easy

Trojita > Claws > Sylpheed

and Alpine > everything

fetchmail+procmail+spamd+mutt+gpg master race

What's the general consensus on FossaMail? It's a fork of Thunderbird that uses the browser core of Palemoon.
fossamail.org/

Why did Thunderbird need a fork?

Microsoft Exchange support.
It once had it, now it does not because of it's shitty updates.

No. Your two webkit abominations have nothing in common with sylpheed.
ded. Use mutt with nano, m8.

Isn't it gonna need to switch over to webkit addons whenever firefox does?

Fash The Nation trusts it but they're probably tech illiterate, email you don't host yourself is basically compromised by default since lavabit shut down.

Holy fuck this looks great, I've always hated mutt for its lack of sane defaults and daedric config file, good to see we will have an alternative.

Claws does not use webkit at all

"dead" Alpine is still far better than mutt will ever be. And nano sucks, vi for life.

Looks like you're right, webkitgtk is optional. Still a bit bloated, but at least it's modular.

That stuff doesn't work if your gmail settings are simple HTML for the web interface. For some reason they want you to go full retard javascript, even though the POP3/IMAP stuff has nothing whatsoever to do with the web interface.

What I meant is that most people were using pine for pico (and the simplicity), when elm was its alternative.
Personally, I find alpine good, but multiple account handling seems painful.

Kmail receives updates, but lots of distributions are still shipping older kdeapps.

I use kmail every day.

javascript allows fingerprinting and using exploits on you. that's why

Yes it does, because that's all I use.

It's... it's beautiful

You really should renew your SSL certificate, user.

That looks nice btw

mm that TUI is much nicer than mutt. but probably less secure, since it's newer

I use mutt with getmail and msmtp. Never had any trouble. GMail is trivial to access through IMAP, so I don't know what the fuck you niggers are talking about.

Here's my getmail rc for my GMail account, in case it helps you:

[retriever]type = SimpleIMAPSSLRetrieverserver = imap.gmail.comusername = [email protected]/* */password = crhiurpchiuroechimailboxes = ("INBOX", "[Gmail]/Sent Mail",)[destination]type = MDA_externalpath = /usr/bin/maildroparguments = ("~/.maildroprc", "[email protected]/* */", "%(mailbox)",)[options]message_log = ~[email protected]/* *//getmail.log

The only thing is that you have to get an app password for your account so that you can get your mail through it, if you use 2-step verification: support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

It's just a mail client, it can't be that unsec...
Yup, wait a few decades.

Why can't we just like, make a new protocol that isn't as privacy unfriendly as our current mail? You know, forcing GPG on the protocol level wouldn't be a bad idea.

Apple's mail client is really nice, but outside of that I use mu4e to read mail in Emacs.

typical.

worth a read until then:
friendlybit.com/security/how-to-make-e-mail-encrypted-for-everyone/

What's the point of an email client? What's wrong with webmail?

What the heck are you talking about? WebExtensions? If so, it has nothing to do with WebKit.

1/10

support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&visit_id=1-636150465711958650-2385215310&rd=3

Does this work for you?

Incoming Mail (POP) Server

pop.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for SSL: 465

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port 465
SSL/TLS

To enable POP access to your Gmail account with any email client:

›› Step by Step Screenshot Walkthrough

Click the Settings gear in Gmail.
Select Settings from the menu that shows.
Open the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
Make sure either Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded) or Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on is selected.
Choose Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been downloaded) if you want to download mail previously received at your Gmail account. Otherwise, select Enable POP only for mail that arrives from now on.

Select the action you want applied to mail after you have downloaded it to your email client under When messages are accessed with POP.
Click Save Changes.
Make sure Access for less secure apps is enabled for your Gmail account.

ok I just added a POP3 gmail account with thunderbird it didn't work until I enabled "less secure apps".

Settings gear in gmail
Accounts and Import
Other google Account settings
Under "Sign-in and security"
Connected Apps and Sites
there's a slider for "Allow less secure apps"

once that was done it worked perfectly.

I use outlook.
gmail is crap for use with pop / imap clients though, I always get deleted item going randomly into 1 of 2 or 3 different folders depending on what device I delete them from and searching for old messages doesn't really work
I just set up my own server and solved all that instantly. It's really quite easy

I'm surprised it took someone this long to point this out.

Google has customized their mail servers to use XOAUTH authentication, and any client not using it (i.e. most mail clients) is considered less secure by Google. You have to allow less secure clients in order to use Thunderbird, Claws, K-9, etc.