What are the downsides of libreboot? Be honest

What are the downsides of libreboot? Be honest.

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/gnu/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

that's all known, and that's about it. some features don't work on some hardware, but it's coming along and that's a very good thing.

This. I don't know how this will help you because it's an exhaustive list of what could possibly be an issue with something like libreboot, but I don't know how to put it any other way either.

It's software for paranoid people (entirely reasonable to be paranoid in the NSA era), and it was written by a tranny who can't keep its work and politics separate.

u need to have fucking stallmans thinkpad in order to run libreboot.... also u have to be electrical engineer to even install it

Lol, re-read the documentation you moron.
Seems to be a lot of anti-libreboot sentiment around here lately, NSA on suicide watch

You lose a couple of features. For example, the X200 needs a blob for graphics in the BIOS, apparently. But all libreboot-supported boards are usable with libreboot.

It can be a pain to install. On the T60 it's easy, you just need to run a script as root. The X200 needs to be opened up and hooked up to a SBC, which is not trivial but still pretty easy. The T500 needs to be disassembled - you need to completely remove the motherboard and hook it up to another PSU, which is a lot of work.

X200 also needs external power

It is compatible with BSD, OpenBSD at least. Leah is too autistic to put it in the documentation though - check the mailing list archives

there are literally no downsides

you can actually boot free/net/openbsd from grub, the documentation is at libreboot.org

i dont know why you would want to considering there are blobs in the bsd kernel

coil whine on X60. Anyone know if it's prevalent in the x200?

Do you even understand what you are stating ?
What does that even implies ?
If I use a distro that does not propose non-free packages it's because I paranoid ?
Fight for your freedom faggot.

nope he made a lot of documentation and not a lot of coding after the shitstorm that HE made, the team that he was working with left, except for one other tranny.

True

Funny thing is that minifree will loose it's RYF certification because they won't ship trisquel anymore with their t400 because the dev of trisquel didn't support the tranny.

Indian people don't know what Libre means

The downside is it probably doesn't run on your computer.

FYI there's already a thread up. Good grief.

Untrue. You may need to solder for certain models. But with X200 systems it's just a matter of getting parts together and following idiot-friendly instructions.

A computer PSU works fine, just ground PS_ON and use one of the +3.3V pins (check with a multimeter) I advise getting an SOIC-16 clip regardless of what your system has because those also fit on the SOIC-8, just adapt the pinouts. The BBB can be repurposed as a low power computer.

What's this about a graphics blob and the X200?

Actually OpenBSD is documented now. Check the FAQ. Unfortunately FDE doesn't work.

Can't say I've heard that. Unfortunately what I have noticed are:
- Rare kernel panic. Might not be Libreboot but it's happened on two separate X200 systems.
- Severe 3D slowdown after playing games for a few minutes or watching high-res video. NOT heat-related.
- Hardware virtualization is known to break, haven't actually tried myself.

Goddamn Intelaviv.

Only down side I can think of is that you can't run Windows based systems, but if you want a Libre machine that is no issue lol

Libre comes from Sanskrit shitlord

Libreboot is best explained with a metaphor:

Choose one

Intel is about the only option for portable systems, and the ones Libreboot does work on can have the AMT stuff taken out.

They're also looking at alternatives as few and far between as they are. ARM is also a godawful ecosystem.

Isnt the person who made it an sjw?

Yes. He hates GNU though, and you can use GNU libreboot instead of his version. Here's his rant against GNU: libreboot.org/gnu/ I think it was changed a bit as I recall before he was demanding GNU give back his donations, which means he doesn't know the difference between a donation and a loan.

What's with all the transfaggots in Free Software recently anyway? Years ago it was mostly fag free, but now there are way too many. Do the useless campaigns to attract women actually attract faggots or what?

They probably figure they can get more attention if they jump into a small community.

those 'fags' are more talented than you will ever be and contributed more to freedom than anything you will do in your life

Whatever fag

Sorry truth hurts

text vs graphical BIOS boot mode. KMS initialises framebuffer so it doesn't matter anyhow, the blob isn't in libreboot

LOL no. ever heard of affirmative action in software companies? lolololololololo thinking trannies are capable of anything besides being twisted monsters. theyre there for diversity. remember when anita and friends tried to code a website and it looked like it was straight from the 90s. thats their talent.

This particular tranny did plenty, actually. If you think that affirmative action can have anything to do with it you obviously don't know how the Libreboot project works. It's not created by a software company.

This tranny did terrible things but as far as I'm aware the project itself is fine.

Who are you talking about? The front one could be okay without problem glasses.

I'd rather pay to use Windows than be paid to use faggot-written software.

I don't care how 'talented' the fags are, they have to be strung up on DOTR!

There are actually a disproportionate number of sodomites, trannies, furfags, political extremists, schizos, autists, and other unusual people in the open source world.

Having some form of mental illness is almost a prerequisite for wanting to program as a hobby.

>>>Holla Forums

You're sending a Holla Forums-lack to >>>Holla Forums.

Breathe deeply, tranny.

I think it's more that they're too dysfunctional to do it for good money at Siemens or Lockheed.

Let me send you to >>>Holla Forums

It's libre so only insufferable faggots use it.