Linux Installs

Why do programs I add through the package manager spit their files all over the system? How is that better? A simple portable app on windows has Linux beat in terms of install messes. I thought Linux was all logical and shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

gobolinux.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sort per program name vs sort per file role (config, binary, etc...)
None is superior to the other.

sort per file role sucks.
Having them in one place is superior. How could it not be?
That's shit. Just put it in the program folder. Fuck.

If you want portable apps why are you using the system package manager instead of Flatpak

The Windows way makes it impossible to have a PATH without doing some serious shit.

Windows does have PATH.

gobolinux.org/
It also has it's own init system.

Also, while the filesystem hierarchy really does deserve a long hard look, you are a faggot that made the critical mistake of mentioning windows. This means autists are going to completely ignore the merits of cleaning up an outdated clusterfuck, and instead spend all their time attacking a windows strawman because that's a lot easier to do.

A good package manager will put all the files in one sub-directory (e.g. /usr/local/stuff//) and then just symlink everything it needs to where it needs to be. If you were to manually delete the package without deleting the symlinks you would have a bunch of dead links, but that's just a few KBs max, not a big loss.

Right, without this the PATH would be gigantic because every package's sub-directory would have to be added. Then instead of deleting a few files when uninstalling a package you would have to delete sub-strings from the PATH, much more messier.

Pretty sure your retard problems were cured by XDG a long time ago.

because developers preffer dynamic compiling

Because having all the files in proper places makes it much easier to integrate it with the system. For example finding the executable (/usr/bin), info for DEs (.desktop file), bash/zsh completion, vim syntax file, man pager, dynamic linker, init scripts, icons, additionally there are cases where it's just useful to have stuff in one place for direct use (/var/log, /usr/share/doc).
Of course you could put everything in one folder plus the absolutely necessary stuff elsewhere (/opt is often used for that sort of thing, and there are the new app formats like appimage and snap), but know that people don't do it that often for good reasons.

People try the Red Fruit and Linux then learn how tarded they are, then back to winblow,

package managers are all fine and dandy but what about manual installs?
i install things to /opt/ and then symlink it to usr/bin
is that wrong? i have no idea how to do this shit in linux

Small price to pay to be one of the autists cool kids, OP.

Just install them in /opt or /usr/local with /opt/bin or /usr/local/bin added to your PATH.

Hi

Having it all in one place is not superior. The way it happens now the way it's been traditionally done since the beginning of Unix.

No.

But enjoy your registry and shit while I just back up my /etc/ directory.

Or opt out of documentation.
Etc.

How is that better?
It's a method of organization form people who had a certain level of intellect, it's not your fault if you are retarded.

nice site skiddie

thats a mess