Where did the "BSD is only for servers!" meme come from?

Where did the "BSD is only for servers!" meme come from?

I'm studying computer music at the moment and sndio is so much easier to use than Linux shit like ALSA or Pulseaudio.

It seems to me that BSD is far more empowering to creative people. Linux is more geared towards passive consumption of media (more proprietary drivers, corporate-backed obfuscation layers, etc.)

Other urls found in this thread:

breitbart.com/tech/2016/01/01/freebsd-community-breathes-sigh-of-relief-as-toxic-activist-randi-harper-finally-quits/
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/
github.com/SteamOnFreeBSD/SteamOnFreeBSD
github.com/mtorromeo/r8168/blob/master/src/r8168_n.c#L7790
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products
sndio.org/arch/0002.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu-1510-virt
openports.se/security/wpa_supplicant
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/hostname.if.5
github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo
forums.freebsd.org/threads/21040/
wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption
freebsd.org/
download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
freebsd.org/doc/en/handbook/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes I'd like to upsize

you didnt take red pill didnt you, linux will always be better than BSD, and BSD have shitty license, anybody can just take your code and do whatever they want with it, also drivers are shit

I'm a teacher actually.

Just because you graduate doesn't mean you stop studying things you like.

Drivers are not BSD's fault. If the company won't open-source them, what can they do?

Your argument is like shitting on a sports car because it won't take diesel. Use supported hardware. It's not rocket surgery.

BSD is only for servers comes from two things:
1. Their niceness and kernels are not geared towards what people like out of Desktops.

2. They don't have the driver support for anyone to run BSD on their PC.

ALSA and Pulse are cancer and BSD audio is by far simpler and better, OpenBSDs sndio has had per application volume and low latency for audio engineering for years while Linux had to nigger rig 20 different things to get their audio working.

It's not. FreeBSD actually marketed itself as the optimal i386 server in its earlier years.

That it was the only FOSS OS with professional developers working on the hard-server aspects at the time (~1993-5) it was a fair claim.

Being 1993, though, it still had exclusive-lock SMP, and the Mach VM system.

The alternative was proprietary Solaris and its "just keep buying more expensive hardware until it works" mentality.

Post-1995, Linux server work caught up and surpassed it.

You're talking about stuff that's irrelevant to servers.

Servers want kernels and userspace that do not panic under extreme workloads or edgecases.

Playing MP3s isn't done on servers, unless it's a sysadmin playing 'Head Like a Hole' as an alert.

[citation needed]

actually BSD is only for NEETs

How is it with multiple audio streams at the same time and how are the music production tools available? I'm using LMMS on linux currently but ALSA and PulseAudio are both giving me cancer.

I'd consider transitioning to BSD if I can produce good shit with it, and that includes being able to play multiple audio streams and having MIDI support.

I said they were relevant to desktops, not servers.

Ardour and Audacity are your only choices for OpenBSD, FreeBSD has LMMS.

It's not their fault, but it does affect the quality of the system. All other things being equal, a system with more hardware support is better.

Is it unreasonable to factor having to buy different hardware into a decision of which operating system to use?

It depends on what your priorities are

I always purchase hardware with my preferred software in mind

but maybe some people go the opposite route

BSD thread?

Currently I'm passively consuming the "LiveLessons - Introduction to the FreeBSD OS" series of videos hosted by Marshall Kirk McKusick

Torrent is on TPB

Hey BSD people, quick question: How pozzed is OpenBSD, the dev team, the overall project direction?

I know that FreeBSD was heavily pozzed for years and years by Randi, I know GNU is basically pozzed-by-design, and I'm tired of Microsoft's shit with the last two awful OSes and all the spyware type stuff, so I'm looking for a new web OS. I can do everything offline in W7, but I'd rather have a more secure web interface.

So, OpenBSD, pozzed, not pozzed? It has to be better than FreeBSD, right? Or do I need to go deeper and use NetBSD to escape the poz?

FreeBSD is not heavily pozzed, it has the beginnings of poz but Randi got btfo'd and sued by FreeBSD for using their name.

OpenBSD and NetBSD are firmly anti poz, There might be one sjw developer but the project leads are vicious.

For as long as OpenBSD has an angry white south african as the BDFL it shall remain non-pozzed.

Wait rly? Nice, I didn't hear about the suit. How will she afford her $3k/month single bedroom apartment?

What if angry OpenBSD Africa man goes full Le Roux and gets replaced by an SJW though? kek
pls be okay Le Roux I cri evrtim

Is there anything like WinE available or in progress on any of the BSDs so I can fondle gay men on a BSD machine?

I mis-remembered
breitbart.com/tech/2016/01/01/freebsd-community-breathes-sigh-of-relief-as-toxic-activist-randi-harper-finally-quits/

She was asked to change her name and she did, she claims she was threatened by the FreeBSD foundations lawyers but that's her accusation.

OpenBSD has plenty of people to replace him who are non-SJW, they have created a community largely of autists(of course) and married men using it for their job.

Only on FreeBSD

You should read the BSD Kernel book by the same author.

It always counts, no matter my priorities. If I have a strong priority for software then my preference for BSD over Linux can still be weak because both of them can have a similar suitability for my use case. It can always be weak enough that I don't want to buy new hardware for BSD.

The BSDs are anti-pozz, some bitch tried to fuck over FreeBSD, but she failed and was driven away by the community.

SJWs/GNUmales are not welcome in the BSD world.

Admit inferiority

I can't believe I haven't seen this before. Stealing for future use.

I want to try FreeBSD. The only thing keeping me on Linux is Steam. Has anybody managed to get Steam and some games running under the Linux compatibility layer?

Also another question: how does FreeBSD handle updates and is it a stable or rolling release model? I am very clueless when it comes to BSD

You're a fucking faggot for using steam, but there are cases of people being able to run it out of GNU/Linux jails in FreeBSD.

If you use the RELEASE builds, it is what you are calling stable. You can use the freebsd-update utility, and do full OS updates. That utility is also used for patching the freebsd system (except for ports/packages you install yourself in /usr/local).

There are also two repositories called STABLE and CURRENT. Both of these are rolling releases, but STABLE is expected not to break as much, whereas CURRENT is really there for FreeBSD devs to fuck around with.

If you're starting out, you want the release versions.

Also see here for everything you need to know about FreeBSD. Probably the best documented OS you'll ever encounter.

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

Sheeeit, I guess I'll have to git gud and try to port it. I mustneeds take a stand against the poz and go full BSD. The install process for Open looks easy enough, at least, I just need to decide what I want to put it on. Does it handle laptops okay? I also have one of those older Acer netbooks around, should be good or esoteric enough to need NetBSD instead?

I'll go with OpenBSD just to be safe.
Also, apparently I can boot from a live USB if I mount it with QEMU. Which, predictably enough, has a Windows port. So I'm going to have to buy or find a big flash drive to dedicate to that. Can I assume a 64GB will be plenty for an OpenBSD partition? Also, is OpenBSD decent at working with external drives?

Reminder that Valve used to be a genuinely wonderful company and that UNIX itself was first conceived so that two guys could play a game they no longer had a computer with a compatible OS for and that liking fun is okay.

I'm typing this from an older Toshiba laptop running FreeBSD 11. Everything worked out of the box, except for some reason when I plug in a headset audio kept coming through the speakers. It required manually adding some device hints to a config file.

Only other tweak needed was turning on Synaptics support so the touchpad worked like a touchpad and not like a generic mouse.

Be aware OpenBSD ships without firmware so you may end with a non-functional video or network card unless you download them first to a USB stick.

I run FreeBSD because it has better support for virtualization (bhyve & virtualbox) so I can run OpenBSD/Windows/Linux from it simultaneously. It also has Wine.

Forgot to add one thing: OpenBSD doesn't like to share a hard disk with other OSes. It's possible, but it's a pain in the arse to setup, especially for a beginner.

Neither does Windows, which I still want, so a live USB really does seem like the best way to go. Thanks for the heads up!

I might go with FreeBSD as it seems to be the best-supported, but I do want to have a net machine free of pozware so I might have to look it over. I assume I can also make a FreeBSD live thumb drive?

As long as I run it from a thumb drive it shouldn't hurt my cards, right? I mean, I can switch back to the internal drive's OS with drivers and everything will still work, right? Not that BSD will somehow fry the cards in vengeance for them not working with firmware, or anything.

ftp://joelixny.gq/Books/tech%20recommended%20books/The%20Design%20and%20Implementation%20of%20the%20FreeBSD%20Operating%20System%20(2nd%20Edition).pdf

Ok that leads me to another question. I like the idea of the core of my OS being stable (kernel, libc, etc). However there are a good amount of applications I like to have the latest version of such as mpv, firefox, libreoffice, etc. Can I get the latest versions of those applications on the RELEASE builds of FreeBSD?

Elitist server operators

Yes

Also forums.freebsd.org is a good place to ask questions.

There or the mailing lists...

People who just want another Windows
OpenBSD is the best OS I've ever used

Just a heads-up: USB drives have a lot less read-writes than other drives so if you are going to use a filesystem with journaling support disable it to get more out of the drive.

but, how linux have so many open-source drivers? Why FreeBSDs developers just dont port linux drivers on BSD?

Because linux drivers aren't free, but encumbered with all kind of restrictions

plz seed

I can't speak for FreeBSD but the OpenBSD policy doesn't allow binary blobs to be loaded into the kernel. This discounts a lot of official "open source" drivers.

I've been using FreeBSD on my X200/T400 and it works beautifully. Much better than Linux.

I love the architecture.

Most guys on tech:

I love how when Linux started to be adopted by normalfags it suddenly became shit and people started moving to *BSDs. It wasn't even systemd, it was after the whole SteamOS shit.

How's the battery life? How is UFS? Thinking about FreeBSD on my x61s.

Linux has lots of open source drivers, but it also has lots of proprietary drivers. The mainline kernel contains proprietary drivers.

Debian doesn't install any proprietary drivers by default, and the Linux-libre kernel which is used by Trisquel and Parabola among others doesn't come with any. I don't know how FreeBSD's driver support compares to those.

Use a normal opearting system.

I know, right? Isn't it great?

2017 will be the year of the BSD desktop.

I know, right? Isn't it great?

2017 will be the year of the BSD desktop.

There is a ruskie who made it work via FreeBSDs linux syscall layer
github.com/SteamOnFreeBSD/SteamOnFreeBSD

You can also just wine it.

Use TrueOS if you want a rolling release model, it's FreeBSD maintained by the same dudes who do FreeNAS, Lumina DE is pretty ugly and minimal right now but the AppCafe has xfce, kde, mate and gnome3

OpenBSD is your best chance for laptops, it has the best power control and hibernation support, the devs mainly dogfood on laptops.

Will need to be mounted manually, you can get hotplugging but you have to define it, see hotplugd

NetBSD is more about esoteric architectures, not driver base.

Year of the BSD desktop is the year Holla Forums moves to GNU/Hurd (or something even more esoteric). Fucking hipsters.

There's a 4BSD derived operating system for non-technical desktop users. It's called OS X.

I think Genode is going to be ready before Hurd.

Holla Forums never knows when to stop bitching and join the conversation sometimes.

It should use pkgsrc, but yes, Genode always looked like something interesting. NetBSD could become extra good with some devs and money, though.

Hi, I just came to call you a faggot

kys

you mean the 90s?

I used to make this argument to linux evangelists, why do you want the unwashed masses moving to linux? Look at Apple now and before the iPhone came out. The "normie" users completely ruin the previous culture. Just imagine how nice the world would be if getting online were actually complicated.

Many of them have blobs and some of them are just openwashed instead of open. The Realtek drivers are my favorite example of this, tell me with a straight face that this is distinguishable from a closed-source driver:
github.com/mtorromeo/r8168/blob/master/src/r8168_n.c#L7790

Preach it, my man.

This. The difference between Linux users and BSD users is that BSD users actually kiss girls.

so about driver, it just works with hex codes? and you cant actually see nothing because of hex codes?

1. Does 'exec' work the same way?
For example, if I
#exec startx
Then killing X logs the user out. This is good.
2. Does the encryption style have an "plain mode" equivalent? So that one is able to encrypt a disk and not have a "this disk is encrypted" header present?

Apple's purpose was literally casualizing computing.

Server 2016 hit RTM. Download that, with the first act being opening gpedit.msc, navigating to Windows Firewall settings under the Computer Configuration part, and setting WF to block all incoming/outgoing by default. Then you will set the Allow Telemetry to 0 (if you don't want to delay updates) or 1 (if you want the ability to delay updates), and then you will set the update delay settings as you wish. All of this is done in the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc).

Once that's complete, add the Core Networking rules to WF in gpedit, as well as other necessary rules, and you have the beginnings of a locked down Windows system. To get a Windows Desktop experience, be sure to install the RDS role and the RD Licensing server. To license RDS, select Campus Agreement in the RD License Server manager and start guessing 7-digit codes in the 561xxxx bracket. To activate Windows, use this: forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/28669-Microsoft-Toolkit-Official-KMS-Solution-for-Microsoft-Products

Don't bother with Windows Client. Windows Client has shit nerfed. Windows Server Datacenter has always been the "ultimate" Windows edition (or at least the one which is fairest to compare against GNU, BSD, and UNIX).

Oh yes, you will need to add Users group to some User Right Assignment options, like "Shutdown The System" and "Log On Locally" rights.

I promise to stop samefagging after this post.

WinServ2016 RTM Torrent info-hash:66817A94A70EE41BF7B0782CAF5E621F109BE18C

Wait what? How is it better?
There's VirtualBox for GNU/Linux too. And of course wine too.

He compared it to OpenBSD. Also, Virtualbox is for reatrded babby ducks, use qemu-kvm.

Any idea how this works on BSD? All I've seen is how to do it on GNU/Linux.

I use FreeBSD but I damn sure appreciate OpenBSD and it's contributions to computing. I agree though, shit like System D is for people that just want another Windows which is mad gay.

user, I...

Or they want a unix-like, such as Solaris and OS X, that's not dogshit.

thx for the tip famalam

Update: WHY HADN'T I TRIED IT BEFORE

You talk like a massive faggot. Kill yourself immediately

Your next line will be ">Micro$oft"

I bet you compiled your shit in debug mode.

m8, the slowlaris meme is as old as the sunOS->solaris switch itself.

Can sndio set different volumes for each application like pulseaudio?

It's using Nix, which is functional package management and therefore way cooler than pkgsrc. I would agree with pkgsrc if they were using a traditional package manager.

This is because Linux is specially shit in this department. Worse than macOS and even Windows. Not that BSD is great.

FreeBSD shines in servers due to its incredibly well-optimized network stack.

Where do you use this feature? Not a BSDfag, I've just switched to ALSA a year ago and never missed it. When do you actually have two audio streams running at the same time and can't just adjust them in the applications themselves?

He talks like someone from the early 2000s.

bit old but check out sndio.org/arch/0002.html

Voip chats.
Browser (not all sounds come from a thingie with vol slider like youtube)
Different broswer streams

Thanks. Basically, the idea is there but it's not done yet

Someone answer this.

Yeah that'll work, but it's still kind of a kludge. Avoiding this problem is basically why graphical login managers were invented.

Magnet link assembled and working. Thank you kindly.
I hate hunting for wifi drivers so I'm going to boot into Linux and install Windows to another disk via KVM passthrough of the physical drive. It's basically the Windows equivalent of installing Gentoo via Knoppix.

UFS is pretty sweet user, I felt ZFS wasn't worth it for the little laptop. Battery life is on par with what I get out of windows so I guess most of acpi works. The only thing that's outstanding is sleep mode, which is really annoying.

ZFS generally isn't worth it for a single disk. The BSDs' default filesystems, ext4, and XFS are all just dandy for a single drive.

Get fucked, Red Hat.

BSD is insecure

BSD is just Unix, so the meme is correct. It's for people who like Unix, whereas Linux is for people who like Windows.

[citation provided]

Isn't wpa_supplicant a part of systemdicks though?

Where are proofs for that?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu-1510-virt

You're right, bsd isn't only for servers. In fact, it's not for servers at all. The only thing it's good for is your dreams and hopes.

Your only option for *BSD is bhyve (and it's dogshit). There is an attempt to port kvm that's very old and deprecated, and qemu-kvm itself has never been ported over.

BSD is good for alpha-testing openssh and not much else

Nope, it's not part of systemd. wpa_supplicant is the original WPA client side implementation for open source *nix. It predates systemd by at least a decade. It's what the BSDs (other than OpenBSD with its fancy WPA-aware ifconfig(8)) and even Haiku OS use for WPA.

wpa_supplicant is good shit. very minimal, simple to use

FTFY

You can install the port, if you really want to.
openports.se/security/wpa_supplicant
I never want to

ifconfig is even easier. Just this in /etc/hostname.${IF} will get you online:
nwid foo wpakey bardhcp
man.openbsd.org/OpenBSD-current/man5/hostname.if.5

The port exists for the more obscure corners of WPA, like RADIUS auth or various enterprise shit. For basic WPA/WPA2 you should absolutely stick with ifconfig.

so were yahoo using freeBSD when they got hacked ? i know they have a history with freeBSD - it's the reason whatsapp is based on freeBSD

Whatsapp uses FreeBSD for separate reasons to Yahoo.

Yahoo using FreeBSD is incorrect, yes they use FreeBSD but it's an internal fork based of FreeBSD 2.0.5, we have no idea how well they kept up with security practices and patches since 1995.

2014 would be 2 years after Marissa Mayer became CEO and implemented policies like no working from home. Wouldn't surprise me if many of the best were long gone by then.

i meant because some of the original whatsapp team came from yahoo, so they were more familiar with it. i've heard they also preferred the simplicity, compared to linux

The day this can actually be memed:
github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo

I'm running FreeBSD on my Thinkpad T420 with full disk encryption. (not the bootloader tho)

The only problems I've encountered so far are different keybindings for xfce4-terminal (no tabbed autocomplete??) and annoying interoperability between linux style makefiles, gmake, and gdb.

Other than that, pkg install/search is leagues easier to use than pacman -XAzUTIySxM

That's because the default shell is csh, which is awful. Install bash or zsh with pkg(8).

Only root's shell is by default tcsh, and it is generally a bad idea, in any Unix-like OS, to change root's shell. It's also a bad idea to use root for everything.

tcsh is also not awful, but it does benefit from some customization. Write a .cshrc or copy someone else's.

Zsh is rather bloated and Bash is utter shit with no redeemable qualities whatsoever. If you are going to install and use an alternative shell instead of the, admittedly bare-bones but standard sh, at least use something decent like mksh, ksh93 or rc.

Some people like to install shells/tcshrc which provides a better config for tcsh than the default

Good thread on customizing tcsh:

forums.freebsd.org/threads/21040/

I think Linux is splitting into two camps here. There's the gentoo/slackware types who like the old school linux of building it up yourself and having total control. Then there's not new systemd loving faggots who want to turn it into windows. Current one from Debain is wanting to move everything to /usr/bin. might as well call it Program Files.

I still love Linux but lenhart's pottering team of control freakery and bulling is winning out. So I moved to BSD.

So how's FreeBSD as a desktop OS? Is it truly secure, or does that only apply until you start X? Speaking of which, can it do rootless X like OpenBSD?

The only reason anyone uses FreeBSD in industry is they're worried about having to release their mods. Everyone using Linux in industry doesn't release mods either and worries about it.

Ironically I think desktop application containerization via Snap will let the two groups go their separate ways in peace. >N00blets will be happy about "just download and double click XDDDDD" or "it's just like my iShit XDDDDDD" with universal packages.
The one thing that concerns me is that Canonical has been reticent to open source some of the serverside code for Snap, but there are alternate implementations out there and FOSS.

Unless you're using Nvidia proprietary drivers, OpenBSD tends to have newer and more up to date GPU drivers. It's also far superior for laptop usage due to better power management and wifi handling. Last I saw, FreeBSD did not do rootless X either.

OpenBSD can't even do it. Only Linux can do it easily nowadays. Because it ships on multiple distros that way.
FreeBSD is shit, and if OP knew anything he'd be using jack for production.
Pulse is meant for easy to configure audio, high latency. Using just ALSA is for autists who don't want easy to configure audio, still high latency.

And before some *BSD autist whines and cries, both Arch and Fedora are configured by default with it. I don't think Ubuntu with X.org 1.16 has it configured yet that way, though, even in non-lts.

I dual-booted WinXP and OpenBSD at work for some years. Just partitioning with fdisk, installing Windows on partition 0, OpenBSD on partition 3 (so basically the defaults for each one), and setting up an entry for OpenBSD in the Windows boot loader was easy enough. Wasn't any harder than when I dual booted DOS and Slackware in the 90's.

OpenBSD has had it for over 2 years with KMS

What the fuck are you smoking, OpenBSD has had rootless X by default since 2007 via Xenocara.

Go home Lennart, you're drunk.

I used OpenBSD before (briefly) and loved it, but I'm not sure I could survive without WINE.

uhh, nah. that was only if you used framebuffer in 2007. it wasn't until 2014/2015 that it actually worked with KMS drivers.
thank you for playing, though.
in fact, you might still have to escalate and drop privs as it stands. in Linux, you can run it totally unprivileged thanks to logind unless you're using some ancient, ancient drivers.

I did that with OpenBSD and Win7 for a while, and it really made me appreciate how simple GRUB made things. What the fuck did you use to dual-boot DOS and Slackware, grub4dos? loadlin?

dont listen to this guy

LILO. They even had some examples for that kind of stuff in the default config.
And speaking of GRUB, I don't think it's as simple as LILO, so I never learned it. Anyway I just use OpenBSD now, no more dual boot. Probably makes more sense to use VM now or emulator (like dosbox).

I thought Theo didn't like virtualization, but apparently OpenBSD can do it. So can you run, say, Windows XP in an isolated VM? Maybe run some old 2d games too?

y'all niggers need to stop bumping this thread
reminder to use SAGE

Theo doesn't like VMs for security, but it is still useful from an ops perspective.
Now that they have the funding they can actually pursue sorely wanted features.
Currently OpenBSDs VM can only run OpenBSD guests, Linux and other BSDs will most likely be a priority before Windows.

acme-client + vmm for 6.1, it's looking comfy.

Well, I just installed FreeBSD on my laptop and Xorg runs as my user, not root.

Probably just a matter of default settings. I managed to get the power consumption down to 7 watts after some tinkering. This was most helpful: wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption

Is that handmade? It looks pretty incredible for ASCII art. Somehow, the older ASCII art looks way better than modern computer-generated ones.

It can also successfully boot {Free,Net}BSD

Reminder that Steam's launch was anything but positively received. Internet DRM is still not popular.

Nope. OpenBSD wrote their entire ACPI stack from scratch. There's very different kernel code at work.

If you mean numbers then sure, but FreeBSD has real world performance advantages.

That's nice, but does the code making acpi calls really matter when you're idling at the minimum physically possible consumption? What difference does it make once every power-saving feature works as intended?

The ACPI code is what controls power to a whole host of peripherals which has a major impact on calls made and power used. It's a significant difference.

$ uname -r11.0-RELEASE-p2$ freebsd-version11.0-RELEASE-p3
Something's not right here...

I can relate to this, though not on the side of the audio but networking.
After using FreeBSD and OpenBSD for a while I tried installing void linux, and for the life of me I could never get it to connect to the network, both wireless and wired.
Since it has ip and iw instead of ifconfig, but absolute shit documentation on both, after trying for over an hour with both I couldn't make any sense of it.

This too, most linux distributions come tightly bundled with a DE, and the whole steer in the direction of systemd/GNOME is a clear indicator for this.

Funny that at the start Linux was a hobbyist-heavy system. I do not understand why rms ever made GNU in the first place, being a lisp fag and all that. Now the world of computing is clamoring for something that is really not Unix for a change, moreover, the codebase of GNU is absolute horrendous, again, the work of lispfags trying to take their culture to C.

OpenBSD doesn't have any Mandatory Access Control and therefore insecure!

He recognized that Unix was modular enough to clone one piece at a time. Compare how quickly GNU tools were in use after the beginning of the project to, say, the time for FreeDOS or ReactOS to hit 1.0.

sure thats not just a void linux problem, rather than a linux problem?

I'm keeping my eye on OpenBSD because Libreboot can at least boot it now. Unfortunately it cannot do full disk encryption yet, only the standard "almost full disk encryption" that you can do with any old computer.

It's because someone designed it with the limitations of ASCII art in mind. A computer isn't nearly as intelligent, it can only determine which glyph will fit this location best to mimic the (much higher quality) source image. Also there's not much effort in running a program on an image, only the algorithm deserves much mention.

Beware, XFS wants a rock-solid system. It's also very slow at file creation, as you might run into with source trees for example.

Oh man, the "fond" memories of trying to play Half-Life 2 on a dial-up modem, yet look where we are now.

In the case of FreeDOS, it's a lack of interest. The OS is smaller and much simpler than those other ones, and could have been finished ages ago, if it got as much attention.

Not anymore. :^)

Download from official site:
freebsd.org/
download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/11.0/
For update:
# freebsd-update fetch install
For installing software
# pkg install $sofware
For updating software:
# pkg upgrade
Handbook for almost everything:
freebsd.org/doc/en/handbook/

Report about it on bugzilla.

It's too bad Linux has had support for my sound card for years and FreeBSD still doesn't.
I'm saving to exchange that Edirol with an USB class compliant Focusrite, and hopefully that one will work.
I have Linux and FreeBSD on dual boot and they share the same /home via ZFS.

Which is sound card it?

Edirol FA-101 on the firewire bus.
Linux has both ALSA and ffado drivers for it.

Sound via FireWire? Hell...
Anyway there're possible solution's:
1) Try to use -Current
2) Build kennel without sound(anyway possible to load as module) and try to use generic OSS (from port).
3) Check about what FireWire complain
4) Try to use Jack/Sndio and check about what Jack/Sndio complain

Who /S/ here?
Are you having lots of crashes?

thiiiiiiis

gentoo is the shining city on the hill and should it fall bsd would be a lame consolation

Bump. I recently switched to FreeBSD and I like it a lot. It's definitely thought out better than your average linux distro. The fact that I can nuke every package I ever installed and revert to just the base system with a simple "pkg delete -af" blew my mind.

Anyways, I noticed that people keep saying that BSD uses a "cuck license". But how is that bad, from a user's perspective? I mean, you as the user are not the cuck, the devs are. BSD users are the opposite of a cuck.

sndio is great, but I get

One thing I've noticed about FreeBSD s how much better Firefox performs under it than on Linux on the exact same machine (and same WM and add-ons).

It really blew me away, as Firefox on Linux is a fucking hog that spikes my CPU to 100% on a regular basis and even use 15%-20% when doing absolutely nothing.

CPU use under FreeBSD is easily a fifth of the use under Linux. Never seen Firefox as responsive and snappy as this.

>cuck license
it's a troll, mate. It's the exact opposite.

I've been giving OpenBSD a serious effort.
A lot of dependencies are pretty insane IMO for stuff from the Packages "repo".
Avahi for Transmission? Not on muh Slackware.
Also, I've had 2 crashes while still using the default FVWM2. X just plain died, and the console was panic'd. Probably had something to do with Firefox...I was Ctl+F'ing when the crash occurred.
But other things are super nice, like networking and encryption. Easy as fuck to get going and play with. The only I'm looking away from Slackware is (let's face it) the Linux kernel is a Piece Of Shit.
Conclusion: All operating systems suck.

Slackware probably already has Avahi.

Please use Sendbug to report these crashes, OpenBSD is designed to crash the moment a violation occurs, it prioritizes consistency over stability, not to say that OpenBSD isn't stable but 3rd party packages definitely reduce it, I believe Chromium works better with it, there is also Otter Browser.

Too right brother.

Your speculation, sir, is wholly incorrect.
This I can appreciate. Though, learning to properly report bugs is going to remain fairly low on my list of priorities for now. Kinda want to focus on learning to use the bugger.

Speaking of insane dependencies, retroarch on FreeBSD pulls in fucking pulseaudio. Just fuck my shit up fam. Also, some packages have weird defaults. For example, ffmpeg comes without opus support. And since mixing binary packages with ports is a bit of a pain, I decided to just nuke it all and build everything from ports using portmaster.

That's a bug and the Project takes bugs very seriously, you should report it (porperly, with a dmesg, a crash dump, a /var/log/messages dump, and any other relevant information). OpenBSD is kind of my favorite OS because they make it a point to make a working product, even if that means you shouldn't touch your kernel (unless you know what you're doing).
Why do you think so? I don't really know much about the kernel itself, I hated linux for so many reasons but all related to userspace concerns. I am actually thinking of doing a proejct using a bare linux kernel and a custom software as the only userland application.
Yes indeed. There are several reasons for these, and I think the OpenBSD project is the one making the best honest-to-god effort to make something that doesn't suck too bad. But it does at some points.
Ultimately, I think what sucks the most is the current state of userland applications, excessive complexity, unbounded library dependency, etc.

Entitled server administrators

Definitely not Sony.

consider something like alpine as a base. it's got a small, grsec-hardened kernel w/ busybox for a userland.

The downside to Alpine is that any glibc applications (like, say, Steam) require essentially an entire second OS in a chroot, and even then the nvidia driver relies on functionality that the grsec kernel won't allow. In short, it's utter garbage as a gaming system.

I love Alpine as a server or even basic web machine, but this is true.

It has given me by far the most stable least-hassle server though. I use it as a LEMP server.