On self education

In the absence of a teacher or professor to guide your studies, what is the best way to go about learning?

For instance, I've been jumping around subjects, but isn't it better to focus on one subject and master it?

What about the suppose it progression of whom you should read. Like I'm reading Hegel right now, but apparently you're supposed to read kant before him. Or your supposed to read Freud before lacan. Or the shitty Greeks before any other philosophy. If what you read after disproves what your eat before then, why the fuck would you read What you know is wrong?

Create a study plan. Ask for one from people you trust, and revise it before jumping into it, or build one from scratch.

It took my half a year just to collect the authors I found I was interested in. Then I had to find out what I need to study before I can understand them.

Yes, yes it is.

Read whatever helps you with the material KNOWING that it is one possible interpretation. When you're in school and when your philo teacher "helps you" he's doing the same thing.

Yup, it is totally better. It's like that Bruce Lee quote where the guy who practices 1,000 different punches one time is a doofus but the guy who practices one punch 1,000 times is a cool badass. When you're reading theory, you want to be a smart badass too! So what you do is you find a thinker that interests you, like REALLY interests you, and then get a bit of context as to when, where and how they were formulating their ideas, and then go to town on 'em! Obviously take breaks, don't burn yourself out, but just keep focusing on a theorist until you think you've tapped the well dry.

And here's the cool super-advanced elite pro expert part: when you go on to read other theorists afterwards, you'll eventually come back to the first theorist you did and you'll totally end up understanding them 10x better because of your collective knowledge of other theorists! It's a bit counter-intuitive but that's dialectics for ya!

Also take notes. Notes are cool.

Create a study plan based up the subject you have the most interest for. (Leftism in General or a particular philosopher)

Try to find out whats related to the subject and set up your sub subjects wich you will study the basics of to get a better background understanding of the main subject.

Research the basics of the main subject and ask around here for people and maybe you get the golden ticket and find a guy who knows his shit about it. Ask him or her anything and ask for sources and reading material.

Also this.

But my problem is that I don't find one specific thing that I want to master. I'm interested in economics, philosophy, politics, psychology, sociology, etc. I wouldn't like to study just one thing, I feel like that'd get tedious.

Keep in mind, this is entirely so I can learn. Not in college or anything.I'm just someone who works seasonally, and so I figure I should learn. I mean its not like I'll ever use this knowledge.

Also
Yes! I agree. If I don't, I can't remember anything

I suppose I will start creating a study plan, though

You really need to start writing in cursive.

Why learn? Dont learn for the sake of learning youknow, its like reading a book for the sake of le look at me im smart for reading book hurr

Have you tried looking for the relationship between all those interests yet? Maybe you will find the guy who explains it in a way that will appeal to you. Or have you tried understanding why you enjoy those subjects? Pinpoint the aspect of it that appeals to you?

Read Zizek

You need at least Hegel, Marx, and Lacan intros for that.

Watch Zizek

What do you mean by this? What other reason could I possibly learn for?

I've read first as tragedy, and I tried to one of his bigger texts before I realized this is over my level

cursive is shit m8

Its a stupid sentence ignore it.

OK, you scared me quite a bit there tbh

I firmly disagree here. One should learn for the sake of one's self. Learning as an indulgence for your ego has nothing to do with trying to show off to others. Seeking to "master" any one subject is much more akin to this.

There is something to be said for focusing on singular topics, but knowledge is not the same as a trained skill. Learning one punch really well is not always better or more useful than being familiar with 1,000 types of punches.

OP, there is nothing wrong with having many interests and wanting to pursue all of them. If that is what you want, go for it. I am very much the same way. In our cases, what is needed is a understanding of your own self, and what is it that you are most interested in at the moment. Studying something and then abruptly becoming interested in something else and switching the subject of your attention is no crime. Devote yourself to that passion wholly until it passes, and then let it go and move on to the next.

In this way, you will not become the "master" of any one punch. If you were to compete against someone who had spent their entire lives studying one philosopher, of course your knowledge would not be able to compete. But, competition is not what learning is about. You aren't seeking to be the best of the best. You don't need to be the best at any one punch. Instead, learn as many punches as you want, and synthesize that learning as you wish. The result will be a unique perspective onto you, a fulfillment of your own unique self.

Some of the most respected individuals in history, deemed "masters" now, became so by synthesizing knowledge taken from multiple areas and used to create a brand new category to master, which did not exist prior. I mean, for goodness sake, that's how mixed martial arts came to be! The best way to learn is whatever comes naturally to you.

Instead of seeking to correct yourself, aim to improve your methods. Perhaps you could make a list of several things you are interested in at the moment, and use that to organize yourself. Put down sources, authors, topics, etc for each category you want to look into, prioritize the ones that look best now, add things as they come up, and so on.

There are many ways to speed up your note taking, and cursive is the worst possible choice.

It's not cursive's fault you write like a pig. Please tell me how NOT connecting characters save you time by having to hoist your pen from letter to letter.

get a lined notebook

this isn't art class

Stupid amerifat can't even read cursive.

Are we gonna start writting like Russians now?

I learned cursive when I was 6.

ISHYGDD

y'all be faggets

meant for

In Clapistan.

Thank fuck I moved that year.

iz tru tho

also

Thanks, op here, iI'll take your advice to heart