Pc build thread

so my dumbass casually mentioned that you can often build a pc cheaper than pre-built to my grandparents.

trouble is, I haven't built one in 10 years and grandpa doesn't really 360noscope. can someone point me in the right direction on this?

will exchange gondolas, or i have some old alt art and wallpapers on an external.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/builds/
intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/overview.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why would you try to ask a serious question on Holla Forums are you dumb?

clearly. but there are still some who respect the old ways

use pcpartpicker. buy a case that fits an ATX motherboard (normal motherboard). make sure CPU fits the motherboard.

god why don't you just fucking google it you retard?

thanks user. i did searx it. every motherfucker has an opinion, and dunning-kruger in all things. you know this.

any ways to dementia/alzheimers proof a computer? poor fucking guy's falling for scams. we got him to change his 20 year old phone #, which is a good start.

get a power of attorney and treat him like you would a 5 year old. Alzheimer's turns your noodle into Swiss cheese. Probably most merciful course of action is hope for a nice Kevorkian.

building your own PC is stupid. getting a prebuilt with the same specs only costs a couple hundred more, and there's no risk of you breaking it during assembly

i told him if it gets too much, we'll talk. guy's stubborn old school though. still loudly bitches about fags in restaurants. don't think his pride will let him and if he wants to go out kicking, he's earned it.

that's what i've done in the past, but i accidentally mentioned it and now my grandma has it in her head. gives me something to do i guess.

Some of these are neat.
I think you're asking more generally so here goes:
Avoid windows 10 at all costs (you'll be back over there every time it 'updates' them a new 'feature'. Same with google to a much lesser degree.
AMD APUs are great in basic usage stuff for cheap, just dont skimp on the powersupply. Never use a power supply that comes with a case or a heatsink that comes with a cpu and you should be fine for longevity
3) just buy then an Intel NUC (technically by throwing ram and ssd in there you 'built it') and they'll be wowed by the size. If you are really 10 years out installing win7 on a computer with only usb3 sux, win8 will work in a pinch with classic start menu installed.

How much do they want to; how much will you be spending?

Ask me anything, 14 years of experience.

My man, thanks. Those NUCs look cool, but he'll shit if he doesn't have an optical. Guy used to be really into computers. Taught me DOS 20 years ago, his noodle just can't into anymore.

Ya, more general shit. I kept up with tech knowledge just enough to maintain/fix/not fuck up too bad. Taking your tips over to pcpartpicker. Open budget, but I'm shooting for like 600 freedombux or under.

You lied, a pc meant for heavy calculations or in your case a 1337 gaming pc, is cheaper to build than to buy.

But a grandparent PC is cheaper to just buy.

pretty damn sexy, user. may have something after poking around if you're still here.

it was a different time, but i still bring dishonor.

Using a triple boot, that's an option too.

fug. Best pre-built brand? Used to go ASUS, but he fucked up his last one, so now the whole brand is shit to him. It probably is anyway now, idfk.

Almost all pre-built PC's have some kind of unbalance or whatever. He won't need a beastly GPU, just 8GB of RAM, Skylake/Kabylake i3 with an SSD and he'll be set for another 5-6 years. And don't forget to get some decent motherboard and PSU, NEVER SKIMP.

What do you believe caused your strange fetish for things that glow for no reason?

Ya similar deal, having made a badass fanless xeon for my dad who got me started (also about 20 years ago) and it rotting under the desk never seeing 5% load, the next one for him was a maxed out nuc, including external dvd drive "that is on your desk so you dont have to bend down and fumble around trying to load discs like its the 90s", getting the monitor right was more important as he uses it as a tool, few care which camp of thought designed the spring in their tape measure, even if they pretend to. Spend more of that on peripherals, good speakers, if you feel like burning money apple makes an external slot loading drive for 3x what a regular external slimtype is. Also, midroad nuc as a set with all peripherals will burn up 600$ of tendiebucks quick.

just don't get a HP. my parents get a new one of those every 2 years like clockwork because the old one breaks.

Dunno, it gives some kind of satisfaction to see the shit turn out well after hours of work.

This! HP still uses shitty iron chokes on their mobos, motherfuckers

He probably won't need a GPU, if the processor is even barely decent, so with that you cut the cost of about 30%.
8gb of RAM is enough for him to never complain at you, or 4 + a paging section on the HDD but beware it might ruin the HDD faster (i had a 4bg ram + paging for 10+ years and i changed it this year, it never broke).
If you wanna be fancy give it a wireless internet card so you can even play the part of the techie when you show them they don't need a cable to connect it to the router.

Thanks m8. Going through the already builts looking for the criteria itt. It'll make em happier than a prebuilt.

Miraculous company.

He's got monitor, periph, SSD already thankfully. Going to decide on a build and side by with a NUC.

Personally I'd get the NUC, simply because of saving myself an headache or two. Only downside is once the basics have been chosen, you can't go back. And note that processor models with a "U" prefix (EG: i7-6500U) are the energy efficient versions. Well fuck that because it won't matter much since the machine will be "idle" 90% of the time anyway (and thus downclock).

Thanks homie. Ya, he doesn't need an SLI TitanFuckForce setup and can onboard graphics. Going to stick with 8gb, and the wired is needed.
Every time I go over there lately I have to unplug it because he's on the phone with Pajeet helping him delete system32.

More I think about it, he'd be lucky to get 5 years on his meat machine. I'll stay away from the U suffix.
cheers anons.

i used to use tomshardware for config advices but for my next upgrade i've been looking at logicalincrements
then you google through the reviews of the pieces of hardware when they matter a lot like GPU, mobo, cpu etc
dont wait to google them only after you bought them in order to troubleshoot what thousands of users have warned about already
also i got fleeced by a reconditioned GPU on amazon: they sold me the base version instead of the overclockable one
so yeah careful out there
google google google

If you need any further advice on individual components, come find me at Guru3D. Just open a thread there with a gondola pic as a profile picture.

You can still build it yourself and pay less than a prebuilt, just mind what it's going to be used for. If i were you i'd get him a recent i3 (better integrated gpu) and a single stick of the cheapest 8GB stick that you can get from a decent brand (kingston, hyperx, corsair, AMD, samsung and so on. There are more but i won't bother naming them all) plus a motherboard with a low end chipset (don't bother with any fancy overclocking capabilities or plenty of memory slots, just get something that won't die). For a hard drive i recommend looking how much of his old one he's used up so you can gauge how much capacity you will give him, and you can even get a SSD to speed up the thing but i've personally found that with computer illiterate people having an extra storage device pop up on "my computer" just confuses them much more and nullifies the better performance.

What's the budget OP?

pcpartpicker.com/builds/

Search by budget price.

8:5 is objectively superior to 16:9, user.

NUC, I have got 5 people over 40 running them now without issue.
intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/overview.html
It's a pre-built that's cheaper than the cheapest build

As for OP, if you catch one of those bundles on clearinghouse sites, they can be quite a good value. I got a Core i5 mini-itx bundle with a shoebox-size case last year for $200. It's been a great home server so far and can transcode my autistic HEVC files to whatever they need to be in real time.

I seriously hope you don't actually do this instead of just playing back the HEVC files.

Do they Fold @Home? No? Pic related.

Did you deliberately choose a non-black monitor bezel and if so why.
The pc looks tits btw.

Some systems don't support HEVC it yet, and frankly it's not standard (yet), so telling someone you're sharing movies with they need to install the x264 replacement even though it's only 90% baked would be weak.

I heard going single stick is bad since the system is designed to work in pairs. Can you corroborate this?

Nonsense. In reality technically systems work better with just a single stick (not enough to matter) since when you do have multiple sticks your cpu's memory controller has to do some wizardry to juggle data between each stick and there are extra timings involving transferring data from one to another.