Redshift is botnet

Why the fuck does redshift have to rely on GPS coordinates to work? Why can't it just call up date and work from there to get its time readings?

Other urls found in this thread:

tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side
scientificamerican.com/article/q-a-why-is-blue-light-before-bedtime-bad-for-sleep/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18838601
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12970330
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_effects_on_circadian_rhythm
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43531
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's a useful service for those that travel often and don't bother changing their timezone using several world clocks instead.

If you want to make sure it doesn't connect to the internet compile it yourself with a flag that disables networking. It's gplv3 so you can do this easily.

The proprietary f.lux on the other hand there's a questionable piece of software. You have no idea what it does.

I think f.lux relies on GPS too.

hurr

Because the author is too dumb to look it up from the timezone in /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab

Except that timezones aren't precise enough to calculate sunset or sunrise.

That's why you use a location to coordinates lookup table in the first place, retard.

Any location specific enough to do that would just bring us back to:

It needs to send your coordinates to the NSA so they can have the CIA kill you with a drone.

Holla Forums is botnet
Prove me wrong

That's why you use the 300 line one in timezone-data. Why do you need 8 digits of lat/long for a program that fucks with about 10 perceptible levels of color temp?

redshift -l $(cat a_file_containing_your_latitude_and_longitude)

Quit whining, pussy.

Why would you even care if it's actually sunrise or sunset outside? Shouldn't you put it according to your wake/work/sleep cycle?
Uh-herp derp. The whole point is your body has no idea what time it is unless it's outside.

The time of sunrise and sunset depends not only on your offset from the "natural" timezone, but also on your latitude and the time of the year. The more extreme your latitude, the longer the nights in the winter and the longer the days in the summer.

Both latitude and longitude are needed.

Remember these people actually post here.

Then don't use it, you little faggot. All it takes to replace it is 40 lines of C

/* public domain, do as you wish */#include #include #include #include #include #include /* cribbed from redshift, but truncated with 500K steps */static const struct { float r; float g; float b; } whitepoints[] = { { 1.00000000, 0.18172716, 0.00000000, }, /* 1000K */ { 1.00000000, 0.42322816, 0.00000000, }, { 1.00000000, 0.54360078, 0.08679949, }, { 1.00000000, 0.64373109, 0.28819679, }, { 1.00000000, 0.71976951, 0.42860152, }, { 1.00000000, 0.77987699, 0.54642268, }, { 1.00000000, 0.82854786, 0.64816570, }, { 1.00000000, 0.86860704, 0.73688797, }, { 1.00000000, 0.90198230, 0.81465502, }, { 1.00000000, 0.93853986, 0.88130458, }, { 1.00000000, 0.97107439, 0.94305985, }, { 1.00000000, 1.00000000, 1.00000000, }, /* 6500K */ { 0.95160805, 0.96983355, 1.00000000, }, { 0.91194747, 0.94470005, 1.00000000, }, { 0.87906581, 0.92357340, 1.00000000, }, { 0.85139976, 0.90559011, 1.00000000, }, { 0.82782969, 0.89011714, 1.00000000, }, { 0.80753191, 0.87667891, 1.00000000, }, { 0.78988728, 0.86491137, 1.00000000, }, /* 10000K */ { 0.77442176, 0.85453121, 1.00000000, },};intmain(int argc, char **argv){ Display *dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL); int screen = DefaultScreen(dpy); Window root = RootWindow(dpy, screen); XRRScreenResources *res = XRRGetScreenResourcesCurrent(dpy, root); int temp = 6500; if (argc > 1) temp = atoi(argv[1]); if (temp < 1000 || temp > 10000) temp = 6500; temp -= 1000; double ratio = temp % 500 / 500.0;#define AVG(c) whitepoints[temp / 500].c * (1 - ratio) + whitepoints[temp / 500 + 1].c * ratio double gammar = AVG(r); double gammag = AVG(g); double gammab = AVG(b); int num_crtcs = res->ncrtc; for (int c = 0; c < res->ncrtc; c++) { int crtcxid = res->crtcs[c]; XRRCrtcInfo *crtc_info = XRRGetCrtcInfo(dpy, res, crtcxid); int size = XRRGetCrtcGammaSize(dpy, crtcxid); XRRCrtcGamma *crtc_gamma = XRRAllocGamma(size); for (int i = 0; i < size; i++) { double g = 65535.0 * i / size; crtc_gamma->red[i] = g * gammar; crtc_gamma->green[i] = g * gammag; crtc_gamma->blue[i] = g * gammab; } XRRSetCrtcGamma(dpy, crtcxid, crtc_gamma); XFree(crtc_gamma); }}

tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature

Except that nobody actually wakes up or goes to sleep based on real sunrise/sunset; everybody just goes by what the clock says.

What's the point of these things anyway? How are you going to sleep after chugging 2 liters of mountain dew or coffee?

Some of us leave the basement and experience the sunshine user. You should too.

That's why you're fat.

You don't have to sleep at sunset, but some say you should limit the amount of blue light you receive, which is what these programs do.

Nah, I lose weight when I cut out the moonpies and donuts. But it weird, because I can eat bags full of cheetos and doritos and combos (and other things that end in o's) no problem.

Because you fucking need to know the latitude to know sunset times. 19:00 near equator is not the same than 19:00 in Argentina, or in Alaska.
Keep in mind in some places sunset occurs sometimes at 22:00, while in other places, at 17:00. And the time of the year makes it swing back and forth (less so if you're near equator).
Longitude also is important (keep in mind some time zones span many degrees)

they really should publish a version without the gps dependency so it's compatible with parabola's your-privacy package

Flux doesn't require it.

why not use ip location?

It's open source software. Fork it if you don't like something.

Is that dependency you talk of a hard one anyways? Looking at their config it seems they have a configurable location provider.
; Set the location-provider: 'geoclue', 'geoclue2', 'manual'; type 'redshift -l list' to see possible values.; The location provider settings are in a different section.location-provider=manual; Set the adjustment-method: 'randr', 'vidmode'; type 'redshift -m list' to see all possible values.; 'randr' is the preferred method, 'vidmode' is an older API.; but works in some cases when 'randr' does not.; The adjustment method settings are in a different section.adjustment-method=randr; Configuration of the location-provider:; type 'redshift -l PROVIDER:help' to see the settings.; ex: 'redshift -l manual:help'; Keep in mind that longitudes west of Greenwich (e.g. the Americas); are negative numbers.[manual]lat=48.1lon=11.6

That's a packaging thing, not an upstream thing. If you don't want it to use coordinates then don't use coordinates. If you want an extra package that doesn't do geo stuff, ./configure it with --disable-geoclue and --disable-geoclue2.

That's often very inaccurate and it wouldn't work without an internet connection to an external host that can tell you where the packet came from.

Why not ask the user for a location or postal code, jeeze this shouldn't be an issue

It's not even just the potential privacy problems; it's also that maybe you just wanna use the damn thing without connecting to the internet, or maybe you're in a location where you can't get internet. Then you're fucked.

Wasn't there a study showing shit like this was snake oil?

Cool Snark

But you're ignoring my point entirely, the reason you "need" to have your screen change color is because it short circuits your body's ability to recognize the natural light around you.
Which, in context of setting alarms to get up before sun rises and so forth, means that it is absolutely of zero use to go by when the sun actually sets. Your job or class or whatever starts whenever the fuck arbitrary time the boss or prof decided, the sun be damned.

Got a medical journal backing your statements?

So enter in your location manually, it's not difficult.

No, it isn't.

health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

scientificamerican.com/article/q-a-why-is-blue-light-before-bedtime-bad-for-sleep/

Why? How does putting the location of a nearby city in a program that doesn't connect to the internet an invasion of your privacy? Wouldn't your time zone and regional ƙǝƴɓøąŗḍ layout also be a potential privacy issue then?

Good idea, I'll put in Moria.

Neither even mentions flux or redshift

I get pissed off that every motherfucking electronic device I buy has a 100,000 lumen blue LED power light on it. Remember when shit used to come with red leds? Remember how much less obtrusive they were?

What in god's name are you talking about?
It's simple application of basic logic.
If you are up too late, it's because your body has been shortcircuited by the blue bright light.
This in and of itself means your body is not giving a fuck about outside.
Then it follows, that you don't need to strictly adhere to the actual path of the sun in the sky to fix that problem, it simply needs to follow your schedule.
If you were following the sun, you may have worse problems, because the entire idea of the app is to help you sleep when you need to sleep, and I can't think of many occupations that follow the sun so closely that you wake up at dawn and go to bed again shortly after sunset.

Oh I know, and all these new LED light bulbs have that blue tint to them as well. It's probably to drive people crazy.

Just noticed a large blue LED on my screen's power button after reading this. Taking apart monitors is a pain so I'll probably use a black marker on it instead.

I use cheap multicolor LED bulbs that have IR remotes and set them to red at night, it does help. Got the idea from watching Das Boot. There's no need for medical studies on this, red light is proven to preserve night vision.

Absolutely. When I take my telescope out at night, I bring a red-tint flashlight for that purpose. It takes ages to regain proper night vision after looking at any other light.

gj at reading.
But this is still hipster science. In the '90s they used to tell us that artificial lighting in offices was what was making us sleepy during the day, yet now they're saying it's what makes us alert.

No, you can set it manually instead.

You're just pretending right?

what do you think redshift and flux do, you fucking retard?

Grow up.

>>>/reddit/

I'm not the poster you were originally replying to.
no one has been told here. you're severely desperate for some human contact, I guess, and I'm being merciful by giving you some attention by pointing out that you're a fucking moron.

anyways, redshift and flux filter out short-wavelength light in the evening. there's the answer. you can go back to being desperate for attention, hopefully on some other board, or you can just get it over with and kill yourself.

Absolute pseudoscience. The only effect blue light has over red light is that it makes your eyes less adjusted to darkness than red light does, and it only takes all of 10 fucking minutes for your eyes to re-adjust after turning off the lights anyways. These kinds of software are for retards who think that the reason they can't sleep is because of "m-muh blue light", when infact it's because they're shitposting on their red-shifted computer until 2am and have already fucked up their circadian rhythm.

autism

There's studies showing particular sensitivity on short-wavelengths to interrupting your circadian rhythm.
As this thread now has at least two fucking retards really desperate for attention though, there's no use really arguing.

Also
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18838601
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12970330
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_effects_on_circadian_rhythm

I just use redshift because it looks better tbh.

I want reddit to leave

He's trolling you, darling.

u've all been le baited :^)

Are you joshing us?

you have been tricked by the trickmeister, obviously
how will you ever recover from such a blunder?

Thanks for this.

Go take a basic biology class before posting on Holla Forums again. Or for that matter, take botany, and learn about how blue and red light affects plants.

Do you photosynthesize?

plants dont have eyes to see light you stupid nigger

Phototropism is caused by auxin produced in photoreceptor cells.
Nigger is you.

YOU ARE RIGHT. FUCK YEAH--- YOU NEED TO SCREAM THIS HIGHER... YOU NEED MORE AND MORE LATITUDE, YOU NEED TO SCREAM AS FAR THE THE EAST AND WEST GOES SO THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE. THAT'S WHERE YOUR HEAD'S AT.

I'm not sure that disables the gps

who in the fuck has a gps module in their goddamn PC / laptop?

Most do not, and they use web services to retrieve a geo position by looking up the known coordinates of nearby wifi access points. If that fails, you can resort to ip based lookups.

Google cars and I would suspect google phones with real GPS modules are used to manage the wifigps database.

pretty sure you can set it to run without but I would have to check my notes

pretty sure that's even more botnet or something

Yes, it requires windows to run

red shift didn't help my sleep that much, but it is pretty pleasent on the eyes and less damaging.

no, getting a job and not going on the computer for 10 hours a day is what helped my sleep.

point is, it's only of minor optimisation. most cases, people need lifestyle changes.

Goddamn casuals

Redshift is not a sleeping it. It doesn't work like a sleeping pill does. The purpose of Redshift is to change the color output of your screen at night. This doesn't imply that you will sleep when you use Redshift. This does imply that sleep inhibitors caused by an excess of blue light won't be such a factor when you use your computer at night.

It's not ideal, but my idea for when I stop being a shitposting manchild long enough to get a wagecuck job or two and have to take my schedule more seriously is to hack together a script to fudge the lat/long numbers based on when I need to get sleep.

the invasion of privacy comes dependence on geoclue2 which automatically grabs your physical location. the proper idea is that you input it manually.

i'm saying someone should package it without geoclue2 so it fits the guidelines for the your-privacy package. i could just do it for myself but it's better that people can install it from parabola's repositories instead of redshift.

Geoclue is a convenience feature. For me, the automatic location detection feature doesn't work and I'm required to manually input my location. It's a simple matter of "don't use it if you don't want it".

...like others have said can't you just disable that feature and input manually.

Also I've noticed that the times I forget to re-enable redshift (after css styling or photo editing) I'll stay up much later without realizing it. With redshift I go to bed a good 2hrs earlier than without. It's like my brain just says 'time to shutdown'. Kind of handy knowledge if I do want to stay up late working. And unlike coffee I you don't get the shits.

I'm pretty fucking happy with this system. It feels way more comfortable than staring at a blue screen in a bright room then shutting everything off and trying to sleep. Also way more comfortable to use.

The only reason why redshift is even a thing is because blue LEDs emit irritating blue spectrum light. OLED display and incandescent lightbulbs FTW

Where I am from, today the sun will set before four pm.
Redshift and f.lux need to know your coordinates to accurately follow the light dark cycle wherever you are.

that's what redshift is trying to cure

We can't. The code still closed.

sct 4600 in the evening
sct 3300 at night

good enough

Okay faggot you enjoy going to bed at 5 in the afternoon just because it's winter then.

Potatoes have eyes faggot.

Go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 4am. Or you can go to bed at 5pm and wake up at 1am.

Any idea where I can get the X11 C Header files for Arch? Can't seem to find them in the AUR or Repositories.

Does any of this work? I'd check it out myself but I'm not on my Arch machine at the moment.

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43531

libx11 ?

$ equery u redshift[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation][ : I - package is installed with flag ][ Colors : set, unset ] * Found these USE flags for x11-misc/redshift-1.10: U I - - geoclue : Control dependency on app-misc/geoclue + + gtk : Add support for x11-libs/gtk+ (The GIMP Toolkit) + + nls : Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities) + + python_targets_python3_4 : Build with Python 3.4

OP's fault for being retarded.

I use f.lux, not sure where people are getting the impression it relies on GPS. You enter in manual lat/long (hour and minute, not second) coordinates, zip, or city.

Location determines sunset/rise. Obviously it would require some sort of location info.

this. Or are you talking about android?