New Tech Uses Mouse Movements to Detect Lies for Government and Corporations

archive.is/VTyB7

archive.is/g3vUl

archive.is/sd3XC

tl;dr There is technology in use now that can detect your emotional state and honesty from computer mouse movement.

Neuro-ID is a company that sells this technology. It can be set up for a company in 5 minutes time for a demo or installation. The alphabet soup agencies are in on it and it is certainly being replicated as we speak.

The study at the University of Arizona determined that when you are upset or confused your mouse movements are bigger (sloppier and slower). When you are happier they are faster and more accurate. This can also be used to detect dishonesty on questionaires, polls, etc. If your mouse hovers over any answer, you change answers, or your movement patterns shift between answers all of those indicate a problem. It knows how to adjust for noise; people tracing under words they read, bumping the mouse, etc. This data is compared against yourself and everyone, so it can see if you are always acting weird or just now. The technology works on any device, in any language, is encrypted, and can be easily employed.

The applications right now are fraud detection, insider threat, advertising, and gaming just to name a few. In fraud detection it is over 90% accurate in identifying fraud. So it really just focuses the dragnet. The implications to privacy and surveillance should be apparent.

For example 2 years ago they were in negotiations with Microsoft to use this technology to modify Xbox player behavior. They would detect if you were getting upset and adjust the difficulty accordingly with the end goal of getting you to play longer.

It was also used by loan companies to detect fraud and identify new patterns. So people often lie about having bankruptcies in their pasts, but future questions correlate more strongly to loan success. I.e. future divorce>old bankruptcy

It can also detect for countermeasures and control for them. That part isn’t fool proof, but the National Science Foundation is funding a 2 year study where they will employ and mitigate countermeasures.

They are also coming up on major venture capital that could propel it to grow even further. Neuro-ID is a small firm now, but it will grow. Also this technology is easily copied and used by any state or non-state actor.

This technology has incredible potential in surveillance (the NSA already uses it), fraud and lying detection, and ecommerce. Big firms and government agencies have already begun to purchase it. The whole enterprise is riddled with NDAs and security clearances.

At this time it can only be used to detect positive or negative emotions and how intense they are. This data is interpreted in the context in which it is employed. Longer term studies will be able to narrow in on the specific emotions expressed (so anger vs fear not just good vs bad) and probably even more.

This is a new level of surveillance that is possible, it will grow, it is already in use by major companies and government agencies. People need to know about this because right now they don’t. This is a major privacy issue and data imbalance. Once more the powerful have another tool by which to analyze and control the masses. Please let the people know. I will not be available for comment use the links provided.

Holla Forums bread
archive.is/urJtn

Other urls found in this thread:

dianeravitch.net/2012/06/11/why-we-should-care-about-galvanic-response-skin-bracelets/
neuro-id.com/solutions.html
wsj.com/articles/your-moods-change-the-way-you-move-your-mouse-1452268410
academia.edu/20035525/Inferring_Negative_Emotion_from_Mouse_Cursor_Movements
8ch.net/pol/res/7922775.html#top
plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Mouse_vs._keyboard/index.html
twitter.com/rabite
aztechbeat.com/2015/11/neuro-id-can-identify-bot-from-human/
tucson.com/business/local/ua-tech-spinoff-knows-when-you-re-lying-online/article_b52f922f-f88c-56fb-a7e1-7c35daf6ad98.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

READ THE FUCKING STUDY BEFORE YOU SAY SHIT

I remember years ago Microsoft used galvanic skin response sensors on mice used in beta tests of their setups to datamine the biometrics(heart rate, sweat production, skin conductance) of students. There was also a camera for facial expressions and gaze tracking and a special chair for determining weight shifting and changes in posture. Mouse tracking seemed like the least concerning aspect.

You might be able to avoid this type of profiling in your personal life but the children stuck in schools can't. They'll grow up thinking that it's normal.

That scene from classic Simpsons where children are stacked atop each other watching a giant screen given partial credit for answering with proper brand names seems like a great idea compared to what's really coming. Here's a decent blog that I found on this subject:

dianeravitch.net/2012/06/11/why-we-should-care-about-galvanic-response-skin-bracelets/

External validity
/thread

I use a keyboard.

Links in OP (In order posted):
neuro-id.com/solutions.html
wsj.com/articles/your-moods-change-the-way-you-move-your-mouse-1452268410
academia.edu/20035525/Inferring_Negative_Emotion_from_Mouse_Cursor_Movements
8ch.net/pol/res/7922775.html#top

Using the keyboard unconditionally is braindead ricer-tier. Mice are far better at pointing. If you ignore the mouse for simple operations you're deluding yourself. It's a consistent test result that people feel they're working faster if they only use the keyboard and don't touch the mouse but that they're actually slower that way.

plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Mouse_vs._keyboard/index.html

Having full keyboard control is desirable for (semi-)programmability and for when there's no good pointing device available, but relying solely on that will slow you down.

What are WMs other than awesome that can be fully mouse free and keyboard only?

I don't use mice, due to RSI caused by mice at one job.
If someone won't le me use keyboard, I walk out and sue them.

when their WM is shit

Even when their WM isn't involved at all.

I actually use a tiling WM, but I do a lot of my focusing with my mouse. When I use my keyboard to switch focus it's usually for the equivalent of an alt-tab - a switch to another window without a large exposed surface that can be accomplished with a single key press.

You can do a lot better than alt-tab. Setting a single function key press to warp to a specific window or tmux pane or whatever is more direct.
Also you can do quicker and less labour-intensive editing in vi (if you know it well enough) than piddling around with mouse. Ditto with other applications that have real keyboard support as a high priority from the design stage.

The more complicated the interface, the more time it takes to use. The tricky thing about that time usage is that it feels like less time than using a faster trivial interface to do the same thing because most of that time is spent on a mental task, not a physical one. Your perception of time is warped. Using one of two keys to switch to an adjacent tabbed window works well enough, but having many function keys is a different matter.

I know the power of vi. I use Spacemacs. The thing is that while vi is more efficient than unprogrammable mouse-oriented editors, some things most people do with the keyboard in vi are actually faster when done with the mouse. You can gain speed by embracing the mouse for what it's good at instead of repressing it. Mice are amazing at moving the cursor and making selections.

What about shit like mouse acceleration, or slowing down the sensitivity? How does that affect them?

Yeah and they can find out what you're typing by the sound of your keystrokes if a mic is active.

The point was to determine whether you're lying, not what you're writing.
The point is you're safe from this using a keyboard.

There's no mental overhead once you got your "complicated" interface in muscle memory. At that point you're basically operating your WM or terminal multiplexer like vi, where most regular tasks are subconscious.

OH SHIT!!!

=TWEET TO WEEV=

twitter.com/rabite

=TWEET TO WEEV=

twitter.com/rabite

=TWEET TO WEEV=

twitter.com/rabite

=TWEET TO WEEV=

twitter.com/rabite

=TWEET TO WEEV=

twitter.com/rabite

1. Disable Javascript and other shit that can track your mouse
2. Enjoy not being tracked

More sauce.

aztechbeat.com/2015/11/neuro-id-can-identify-bot-from-human/

tucson.com/business/local/ua-tech-spinoff-knows-when-you-re-lying-online/article_b52f922f-f88c-56fb-a7e1-7c35daf6ad98.html

everyone uses touch screens or keyboards now.

How many more replies are we going to get from people eager to post one liners about how this will never affect them after reading the OP?

This sort of analyzing technology is becoming more prevalent and warrants discussion. Ways to trick it for your benefit, possible applications not thought of yet, interesting research currently ongoing and so forth.

Because there are basically no applications for this beyond malware and protecting against it is easy. The topic may be interesting but there is not much to be discussed. Contrast this with, say, deanonymization techniques based on writing style.

Fucking heiled.

i3 with dmenu. Firefox and xclip (that I'm too retarded to figure out) are the only things that require me to use a mouse. I know VIM-like shortcuts extensions exist for Firefox but I haven't tried them yet.

Copy from other boards if you want more.

what kind of preamble is that?

The preamble of the damned.