Best cursor input method?

Mice and touchpads/trackpads seem to be the default in cursor input, but are any of the alternatives actually worthwhile? What pros and cons do each have?

Mouse:
Pros:
Cons.

Trackpoint (Clit)
Pros:
Cons.

Touchad/trackpad
Pros:
Cons:

Trackball
Pros:
Cons:

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamepad
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Design_challenges
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I believe you misplaced this pro argument.

You need a mouse for video games.

The trackpoint thing would work because it's kind of like a joy stick, but it's a peace of shit in use probably because Lenovo is incompetent

????

OP i'm glad you asked, i recently discovered the joys of 'xboxdrv'

basically xboxdrv allows you to map any key on a gamepad to any mouse button, keyboard button (including media centre keys! like zoom in or forward/back) or even a combination of buttons to mimic keyboard shortcuts

it's really good software, slightly complicated, though i managed to pick it up when stoned.

basically how it works is: you have to map the keys to the xbox controller button equivalents, then you map these xbox equivalents to any key you like.

you can either set this up in a configuration file, then you load the configuration driver with xboxdrv. or you do it with a large number of arguments from the command line, which is better for copy&paste copying from online, but not neat for customizing. you should also know that the configuration file, unfortunately, has to follow somewhat of a template - so find one online, then edit it.

for more info one of the best resources is, as usual, the arch wiki:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamepad

one idea i've seen is to map one thumbstick to a high sensitivity mouse setting, then the other mouse thumbstick to a much lower sensitivity. but what i'm doing personally, is one thumbstick for mouse, the other thumbstick for the up/down/left/right keyboard buttons, for web browsing. i then have the R1 and L1 buttons for switching tabs, a button for closing a tab, another for zooming in and out, another for volume, another for fullscreen - basically my shortcuts cater to web browsing from a sofa without a flat surface. but really you may aswell just map all the things you can't do on a keyboard, whereas i have actually duplicated some things i can already do on a keyboard, though i have only just started using xboxdrv.

as for those thinkpad mini red mouse buttons - they're neat and small, but overall annoying.

sounds like a whole lot of bullshit for something qjoypad already does

Trackball master race. It's so comfortable, I can't go back to a regular mouse.

xboxdrv fan here. i installed it but it didn't open ?

Arrow keys or numeric keypad usually works fine for moving cursor. It's just that a lot of software expect you do have/use mouse. But in the old days, even games (like pic) had keyboard option.

Every thinkpad I've ever used with a clit has had a minor problem of it moving on its own (usually to the right) if you use it a bit too long.

can I play twitchy fast FPS with a trackball?

Yea fuck Lenovo

Far too slow for moving a cursor and not at all precise.

That's how I played that game, and it worked fine. Mostly it was just to move the crosshairs around to select various objects, because the commands and inventory stuff have keyboard shortcuts.

How do clits actually feel movement

Are you pressing down on it super hard? It's called a clit for a reason, you're not supposed to fucking slam it around.

it's not bad if it wasn't for the retarded problem. A little more accuracy would be nice

Have you ever even tried it yourself?

It has nothing to do with slamming it around, it's actually a software thing to reset the 'default' where if it's pressed in a direction for longer than a few seconds without any other activity then it 'counters' it by moving on it's own in the opposite direction

Read about it here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Design_challenges
I've tried looking for solutions before but didn't find any way to set "the re-calibration interval" to something longer. It's such a simple thing but year after year they all have these problems and Lenovo just doesn't give enough of a fuck to fix it

Depending on the trackball you can, it works better for some than others.

Why not just, disable recalibration?

That's the self-calibration routine, you dumbass.

Apparently overtime it will end up going one way due to very high sensitivity to wear and tear. But yea it should be rezero'd like once a day or so. not every fucking 5 seconds

I'm hoping someone knows better about this, but from what I know it should be very easy to reconfigure IF the drivers and such were customizable but they completely closed off

I own the trackman, and dislike how it has no scroll wheel. It sits in a drawer for this reason. I've been looking at the Logitech thumb ball one, and it looks like a good idea on paper, but my thumb cramps up and feels like I need to crack it just by looking at the mouse.

Any suggestions?

It worked fine because it was in a fucking TTY or a basic VGA mode e.g 320x240 which means less distance to move the cursor across the screen; on a modern display with e.g a web browser running at 1366x768 and all these botnet javascript context menus will make doing the even simplest task near impossible.
Stop being an autist and use a computer like a normal person.