How do I VPN?

I'm sure this is a stupid question to you people, but I got to ask somewhere.

So I know it "hides" your IP adress, at least from most things. I'm guessing there's a lot more to it.

How do I start using one? I've messed around with some on mobile app stores, but they seem tame. There's obviously paid services, but can I get the bare minimum with free services like OpenVPN? Can I set up my own on my PC? And will that hide my IP or will it just create a network using my IP?

Other urls found in this thread:

hacked.com/two-more-arrested-in-connection-with-the-lizard-squad/
thatoneprivacysite.net/
privacytools.io/
torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When you use a VPN you're switching from having to trust your ISP to be confidential with your data, to having to trust the VPN company. That's about it although most VPN companies claim to have more interest in protecting your privacy.

I'm fine with that unless they can do something sinister with that data that the ISP can't already do/does.

Basically a VPN is a tool that lets you feed all your traffic, encrypted, to another computer (which obviously has a different IP address) and then act as if you're browsing the web from that remote computer.
First of all, OpenVPN is the client which allows you to connect to VPN servers, it's not a service in itself. Secondly, the reason you have to pay for a VPN is because it's a company's server that you're borrowing, and maintaining a bunch of servers around the world costs money. Don't ever use a supposed "free" VPN service, since they have to make money somehow and that's probably by selling your information.
Yes of course but then that's going to redirect all traffic through your home PC, which is the opposite of "hiding" your home IP address.

Sage because this belongs in the sticky and there's already a VPN thread in the catalog.

hacked.com/two-more-arrested-in-connection-with-the-lizard-squad/

So just get a legit VPN provider and that's it?

Also, can you use a mobile device to connect to wifi and use the VPN? I'm sorry if that's sounds dumb.

use cloud service like AWS or Azure and then install/set up OpenVPN server

best VPNs are your own VPS/cloud

Yes but know what to trust

Remember to check out VPN services, some VPNs say they are private (hidemyass) yet they openly give information to LEOs.

Check out these sites.

thatoneprivacysite.net/

privacytools.io/

Remember goy, your ISP wants your money while your government wants your life.

Also, please dont use VPNs for doing super illegal shit please.

That and you can appear to be in another country for country-specific media.

Nah just looking to get around geolocking and bans, etc.

PrivateInternetAccess is cheap and it is alright.

Why do these faggots always compromise their opsec with normie services? Kat.cr guy got busted because he logged into itunes.

Might be a bit early to mention this but lifetime memberships from relatives with different last names than yours makes for a great Christmas present and they're around $40-50. Even if the account is compromised it's more likely that the adversary will assume it's a stolen credit card rather than a relative if you're not on their social network profiles.

You'll also think twice before doing something illegal or dangerous with that VPN. The only downside is reputable VPNs don't sell them all the time or might put limits on use.

Mullvad $ in mail. Name a more hidden way of paying you can't... based in Sweden, so no usa laws..

I'm gonna assume that torrenting a film would be considered illegal, right goyim?

Any VPNs that accept a prepaid debit card? I tried mullvad through paypal and it was denied the the card issuer, apparently.

This is a pretty good rundown of some of the better vpn services.
torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

I've been considering VPN for a while but my first serious stab at getting one ended pretty discouragingly.
like, what, am I literally supposed to mail cash to the fucking Seychelles or somewhere in an envelope and hope I never got any fingerprints on it? I'm too dumb for bitcoin...

Why yes goyim, we need to track your every move to protect you from the evil terrorists/drug dealers/pedos. It's for your own good.
Other than cash in the mail and pray or bitcoin and equivalent, I don't know how you'd send money anonymously internationally. You have the right mindset for what it takes to be user so good on you for that.

Literally worse than /g/

It's not a matter of hiding from the law. Most of us have done nothing wrong. It's a matter of maintaining privacy.

Enjoy your stay

P U R E C O I N C I D E N C E
U
R
E

C
O
I
N
C
I
D
E
N
C
E

If there were one thing on the internet id bet my life had malware to identify the user it would be social media.

goyim gonna goy

buy tor, problem solved

vpns = trust based
tor = design based

Enjoy your stay, but please lurk before posting.

If Tor wasn't so good, why are shills so against it?