idasystems.net/products/nanonote
puzzlephone.com/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/
pyra-handheld.com/boards/forums/pyra-news.250/
n-o-d-e.net/post/141489192021/how-to-create-a-handheld-linux-terminal-v2
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ssssshh

we dont want those faggots here

I would but they're fucking expensive, aren't they?

Around 120 USD Shipping included

It was not that much when it released but 6 years after it's not that cheap either…

A good point is that they are 100% copyleft hardware

Never heard of a Nanonote before user, from what I see it looks quite awesome.
If I have some extra shekels and to spend I'll probably go through the process of getting one of these.

From who did you buy it from? I'm seeing a few different sources.

I think the only place you can get them from is IDA systems idasystems.net/products/nanonote
That's where I ordered.
The Ben Nanonotes are not manufactured anymore so they are quite rare

By the way be aware that they are not powerful devices : only 32MB of ram and no wifi nor ethernet, even though they can still access internet through USB

That looks pretty awesome. I'd buy one for sure if not for the 32MB of RAM.

Does anyone know how long the battery will typically last on this thing?

Also, does it have WiFi? Would make a nice thin client/portable ssh terminal

this is now a nanotech/nanoarchiver appreciation thread.

Nope no wifi unfortunately…

Not sure about the battery life but you can swap the 850 mah battery with a 1020 one or an even bigger one of 1200 mah but the lid doesn't close then.

With specs like that, why not just use an SBC?

this is beyond useless

for 120 usb you can get an used netbook

No, but I have a Zipit Z2. It has similar specs, built in wifi, and can be had for under $40. It isn't copyleft hardware like the Nanonote though.

what's the specs of the resolution?
by any chance, does it run java mobile?

with 32 or 64 MB RAM you can play any handheld java apps and games without problems

Technical Specifications:
336 MHz XBurst Jz4720 MIPS-compatible CPU
display: 3.0” color TFT
resolution: 320 x 240, 16.7M color
dimension (mm): 99 x 75 x 17.5 (lid closed)
weight: 126 g (incl. battery)
DRAM: 32MB Synchronous DRAM
headphone jack (3.5 mm)
SDHC microSD
850mAh Li-ion battery
2GB NAND flash memory
mini-USB: USB 2.0 High-Speed Device
speaker and microphone

It looks promising.
Can be used as a decent music player or a portable dictionary/wiki
If it supports java I'd install midiEdit and do my midi composition in it
It would be nice if they upgraded the screen to a 640x480 (like those chink 'MP5' video players)

What I want is an open source handheld device devoid of botnet.
I was shocked to see puzzlephone.com/ remove their 'open hardware' and 'android alternatives like sailfish etc but still android compatible' creed and seriously just move to the botnet bandwagon of android. It's really disappointing.

Android shits focus on performance+bloat+botnet=slow while none of them so far are as efficient as the technologies way back in 2008.
If you use an android device after a minute you'll lose 3% off your battery and it's fucking annoying plus the default android audio quality sucks dick... Unless you own the few phones with 192kHz sample rate support because android defaults to 22kHz trash, even that trusty Nokia Xpressmusic uses a higher sample rate and much more quality sound onboard card and audio processing.

Have you looked at the PocketCHIP?

Pocket chip is not really dedicated to free software, proprietary programs are installed in the default system.

The hardware design is open and aside from those (two?) proprietary programs it's very free. It runs Debian and they liberated everything they could, down to the bootloader.

Those proprietary programs are packaged applications. It would be hard to run them accidentally and you can remove them with the package manager.

It's not something the FSF would endorse but that doesn't make it not worth using.

Similarly, the FSF uses Debian and lets data from it into the free software directory and h-node. Even though its standards don't quite align and they don't endorse it it's very easy to avoid proprietary software while using it.

Oh okay well it might be a device to consider then

What's the point though? That keyboard looks too small to comfortably use, and if it's just for being a portable SSH terminal, surely you could nigger-rig your own together for cheaper and smaller with a separate and usable keyboard.

It's 4"x3"x2/3", good luck. I've don't think I've ever seen a homemade device like that that was smaller than mass produced options.

What about repurposing an old smartphone? Could give you similar dimensions and access to wireless protocols. Keyboard could just be something that interfaces via microUSB or Bluetooth

When the fuck is that SJW looking device going to be actually available for purchase and not just preorder?

The PocketCHIP includes a 1GHz ARM CPU (with a Mali 400 GPU), 4GB of flash storage, 512MB of RAM, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a 4.3-inch touchscreen display, a primitive keyboard, and a five-hour LiPo battery

(although mali 400 is a decent GPU stutterless 2D 60FPS and 3D ~40FPS)

No thanks.

Arguably the only reasons to use the Ben Nanonote or similar devices are the open nature of the device (specific to the Ben Nanonote), being able to natively run your choice of Linux distro instead of just being stuck with whatever your phone shipped with or a custom version of Android and only being able to run the Linux distro of your choice on top of whatever your phone runs natively, and the lack of a baseband modem. If you just want a pocket size SSH terminal and don't care about those points you can just get a smarphone with a physical keyboard and an SSH app.

pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

Technical Specs:
Texas Instruments OMAP 5 SoC
2x ARM Cortex-A15 @ 1.5Ghz with NEON SIMD
2x ARM Cortex-M4
PowerVR™ SGX544-MP2
Vivante GC320 2D Accelerator
2GB or 4GB RAM, 32GB internal eMMC
720p 5" LCD with resistive touchscreen
High-Quality speakers, analog volume wheel
Headset-Port, Built-in-Mic, HDMI Video Out
Various sensors (accelerometer, gyro-sensor, etc.)
Vibration motor
Ultra-portable: approx. 139 x 87 x 32 mm
Huge battery for a long battery life (6000mAh)
Gaming controls (DPad, 4 shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons)
Two accurate analog controls with push-button
QWERTY keyboard with backlight
Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2,4 and 5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.1
Dual SDXC card slots, one internal MicroSDXC card slot (can be used for the OS instead of the eMMC)
2x Full-size USB 2.0 Host (one can be used as eSATA-with a small adaptor), 1x Micro USB 3.0, 1x Micro USB (Debug and Charging)
Fully configurable RGB-LEDs for notifications
Optional 3G/4G/UMTS and GPS module

Approximate release date: never ever

I don't know anything about this.
You can. It runs Debian. There are many emulators in the repositories.

It's on the brink of mass production, you niggerfaggot. First production samples are already working and once the last few issues are squashed, a large production run will be ordered.

Progress is documented here:
pyra-handheld.com/boards/forums/pyra-news.250/

wew lad, I bet you're holding your breath for Talos too

How did you know? :^)

Actually, not anymore. I let it go after the last price hike priced it out of my budget.

The Pyra is quite expensive too compared to the Ben Nanonote

But the Pyra is actually useful.

It has a much better specs/price ratio though.

but muh copyleft.

n-o-d-e.net/post/141489192021/how-to-create-a-handheld-linux-terminal-v2
About $120 according to them. No idea about battery life, but I'd guess it's rather short.
Anyone knows if the Raspberry Pi supports suspend to RAM?

looks quite painful to build though

The Pandora, in some form or another, has been "on the brink of mass production" since 2005 or so.

Lol no. They had first production samples built only in early 2010, actual production run and shipping followed right after that.

The Pyra will be in production in less than TwoMonths™.

OP Here, I don't even know when it's going to be delivered since the parcel still hasn't been sent…
I ordered last tuesday I believe

HAHA FAGGOT

The engineering and manufacturing behind the Pyra has the benefit of experience gained from the Pandora. This was valuable experience to help them produce the next version of Pandora which is the Pyra.

I'm onto you marketer

The Pandora has been out for years. I own one. It's p decent, except for the walled garden app-store philosophy. The Pyra is supposed to be the sequel to that, and the Pyra has been getting shilled here as "very nearly almost ready for mass production" for the past two fucking years.

looks like something from the 90's